Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism 20:57 - Sep 29 with 1917 viewsmos

Discuss.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2018 21:14]

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 21:17 - Sep 29 with 1892 viewsJuggsy

No
‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 21:18 - Sep 29 with 1881 viewsmos

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 21:17 - Sep 29 by Juggsy

No

Brilliant.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 22:24 - Sep 29 with 1826 viewsWeWereZombies

Descartes constructed the original matrix and The Matrix was a tribute to Descartes. Who might have been a Jesuit, or a spy for the Jesuits, or a spy for the French government against the Jesuits. If he ever pondered those and settled on one could that be because he thought he was, therefore he was?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 22:37 - Sep 29 with 1806 viewsjeera

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 22:24 - Sep 29 by WeWereZombies

Descartes constructed the original matrix and The Matrix was a tribute to Descartes. Who might have been a Jesuit, or a spy for the Jesuits, or a spy for the French government against the Jesuits. If he ever pondered those and settled on one could that be because he thought he was, therefore he was?

Well he did ask after all.

Putting aside that it was a daft question fit only for a group of stoned teenagers, my answer is also no.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 22:38 - Sep 29 with 1802 viewsconnorscontract

With a bit of Plato's Cave, the bullet time as a Sartresque "Existential moment", and lashings of the Post-Modernism of Baudrillard (Simulation and Simulcra; the sign is greater than the thing signified etc) thrown in.

Here's my philosophy joke:

I met the French Deconstructionist Philosopher Jacques Derrida.

"All language is violence" he said.

"Ouch!" I replied.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2018 22:38]
‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 22:46 - Sep 29 with 1791 viewsmos

I think the main use of his theories which are seen in the film is the dualism between the mind and body. Clearly seen in the film where the characters jump from the real world to the matrix world, yet their bodies remain in what Morpheus describes as the ‘real world’.

The only reason I drew links to Marxism was because of the criticism of capitalism, how everyone is led to believe they’re involved in an interactive market, but in fact they are a mere slave working for someone else’s gain. Causing Morpheus and co to lead this ‘revolutionary’ group against the ‘system’.

Clearly not perfect, and I doubt the writer of the Matrix intended this, but there are very close links to Marx’s theories, specifically his theory on stages of development.

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 22:56 - Sep 29 with 1763 viewsconnorscontract

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 22:46 - Sep 29 by mos

I think the main use of his theories which are seen in the film is the dualism between the mind and body. Clearly seen in the film where the characters jump from the real world to the matrix world, yet their bodies remain in what Morpheus describes as the ‘real world’.

The only reason I drew links to Marxism was because of the criticism of capitalism, how everyone is led to believe they’re involved in an interactive market, but in fact they are a mere slave working for someone else’s gain. Causing Morpheus and co to lead this ‘revolutionary’ group against the ‘system’.

Clearly not perfect, and I doubt the writer of the Matrix intended this, but there are very close links to Marx’s theories, specifically his theory on stages of development.

I'm sure that parallel is intended, it's just that the writer throws just about every philosophical idea at the film.

Baudrillard is the key philosopher, because his work is explicitly about how late-Capitalist consumerism constructs simulations of the real that are packaged experiences (see Las Vegas as the ultimate example: you can go on a Venetian Gondola, marvel at a fireworks display, eat celebrity chef meals, take selfies by a mini-Eiffel Tower and see a show where you watch the big screen rather than the little real performer. All in one day. Baudrillard calls this hyper-reality, and consumers are encouraged to believe it to be superior to the real thing)

But as I mentioned the real world - shadow world idea goes back to Plato.
‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 23:18 - Sep 29 with 1737 viewsWeWereZombies

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 22:46 - Sep 29 by mos

You can also see a Kantian theme in that Canoe Reeves and his pals are pushing back against being used instrumentally, mere tools of the Matrix and that being the end to which their means are put. But Morpheus allows them to pursue self actualisation and become the ends in themselves even if that does mean the end of Morpheus.

Wouldn't it be good to see footballers truly express themselves and display their talents to the full at Portman Road and to put aside the endless grind of seeking the near impossible goal of promotion?

Login to get fewer ads

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 23:21 - Sep 29 with 1734 viewsfactual_blue

The Matrix is unwatchable pseudo-philosophy aimed at angst-ridden sixth-formers.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 23:23 - Sep 29 with 1727 viewsWeWereZombies

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 23:21 - Sep 29 by factual_blue

The Matrix is unwatchable pseudo-philosophy aimed at angst-ridden sixth-formers.

Alright, alright, just because you went to school with Thales of Miletus...

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 23:36 - Sep 29 with 1707 viewsfactual_blue

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 23:23 - Sep 29 by WeWereZombies

Alright, alright, just because you went to school with Thales of Miletus...

I taught him everything he knew.

But not everything I know.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 23:38 - Sep 29 with 1705 viewsmos

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 23:18 - Sep 29 by WeWereZombies

You can also see a Kantian theme in that Canoe Reeves and his pals are pushing back against being used instrumentally, mere tools of the Matrix and that being the end to which their means are put. But Morpheus allows them to pursue self actualisation and become the ends in themselves even if that does mean the end of Morpheus.

Wouldn't it be good to see footballers truly express themselves and display their talents to the full at Portman Road and to put aside the endless grind of seeking the near impossible goal of promotion?

No no no! We couldn’t possibly have exciting, free flowing and attacking football going on within the confines of Portman Road. Definitely not with players with the so called “expressing themselves” that wouldn’t be allowed here.

Dreary, drab and defensive football is the only way.

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 04:28 - Sep 30 with 1640 viewsconnorscontract

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 23:38 - Sep 29 by mos

No no no! We couldn’t possibly have exciting, free flowing and attacking football going on within the confines of Portman Road. Definitely not with players with the so called “expressing themselves” that wouldn’t be allowed here.

Dreary, drab and defensive football is the only way.

Ooh. How very Hegelianly Anti-thetical.
‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 07:45 - Sep 30 with 1600 viewsWeWereZombies

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 04:28 - Sep 30 by connorscontract

Ooh. How very Hegelianly Anti-thetical.

Quite Marxist to attack the Young Hegelians though, isn't it?

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 09:04 - Sep 30 with 1557 viewsJohnny_Boy

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 23:21 - Sep 29 by factual_blue

I bet it's Mullet's favourite film.
‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 09:12 - Sep 30 with 1551 viewsconnorscontract

‘The Matrix’ movie is a metaphor for Marxism on 07:45 - Sep 30 by WeWereZombies

Quite Marxist to attack the Young Hegelians though, isn't it?

Yes, even though Marxist thought was underpinned by a dialectical framework. They just stole Hegel's ideas and then denounced him as bourgeois. Bloody communists: always victimising the white collar worker, having plundered the fruit of their labour.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024