Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Talk of PH going 08:18 - Oct 4 with 4050 viewsGarv

If we continue this form, i.e not winning and scrapping one or two draws out of three, when do you think ME would act?

Depending on how many points we are adrift at the time, I can't see it being much earlier than late November/early December. If we're still in sight of safety he will get a long time to get this right I feel. Obviously for that to be the case, we need the sides around us to be just as poor as they have been so far.

Never mind when if and when you think he should go, when do you think is likely?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Talk of PH going on 08:38 - Oct 4 with 3724 viewsBiGDonnie

Ideally I'd have liked the chairman to act and step in when he started seeing the amount of upheaval and change short stuff wanted.

I've seen and heard more than enough to want him out immediately. We're sh*t and there is no way we'll survive if he stays.

#HurstOut

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Talk of PH going on 08:42 - Oct 4 with 3703 viewsSteve_M

Hurst might get Saturday but I'll be surprised if he is still in charge for QPR.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Talk of PH going on 08:47 - Oct 4 with 3671 viewsBlueBadger

Talk of PH going on 08:42 - Oct 4 by Steve_M

Hurst might get Saturday but I'll be surprised if he is still in charge for QPR.

On the other hand, you only have to look at how long kept on Keane and Jewell in particular when they were clearly busted flushes.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Talk of PH going on 08:49 - Oct 4 with 3663 viewsitfcjoe

Talk of PH going on 08:47 - Oct 4 by BlueBadger

On the other hand, you only have to look at how long kept on Keane and Jewell in particular when they were clearly busted flushes.

Totally different situations though.

Keane was his first big appointment, had been given a lot of money and had success at this level with Sunderland.

Jewell had come in and kept us up well.

Hurst neither has the proven pedigree at this level or credit in the bank here. I'll be surprised if he is in the dugout v QPR

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Talk of PH going on 08:49 - Oct 4 with 3658 viewsFelstow1978

On previous form a manager not winning and scrapping one or two draws out of three gets around five years in the ME playbook

Poll: Isn't it time that HRH Shesgotmyballsinherhand stops feeling the need to preach?

Talk of PH going on 08:57 - Oct 4 with 3627 viewsLankHenners

We have the fabled 'best time to replace a manager mid-season' coming up so Evans may act quickly before we're too far adrift. I think the furthest we can really go is after the 5 games after the international break. 4/5 of them (Leeds is a free hit) are against teams also struggling near us - if we can't pick up a decent amount of points against them then he's got to go.

Saying that, if he squanders the chance to pick up points against them then it may already be too late and we might as well just accept relegation to somewhat soften the blow when it inevitably happens.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Talk of PH going on 08:59 - Oct 4 with 3621 viewsReuser_is_God

Lose Saturday sacked Monday.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Talk of PH going on 09:00 - Oct 4 with 3607 viewsGarv

Talk of PH going on 08:38 - Oct 4 by BiGDonnie

Ideally I'd have liked the chairman to act and step in when he started seeing the amount of upheaval and change short stuff wanted.

I've seen and heard more than enough to want him out immediately. We're sh*t and there is no way we'll survive if he stays.

#HurstOut

Way to not answer the question but thanks for your honesty.

Wouldn't we all love to have been sat in on the discussions the two of them had regarding transfers over the summer?

How hard did we try to keep Waghorn? Did Evans or even Hurst push for more Championship experience and the other didn't cooperate? What were the genuine expectation for the season?

Login to get fewer ads

Talk of PH going on 09:02 - Oct 4 with 3593 viewsJimmyJazz

Talk of PH going on 08:57 - Oct 4 by LankHenners

We have the fabled 'best time to replace a manager mid-season' coming up so Evans may act quickly before we're too far adrift. I think the furthest we can really go is after the 5 games after the international break. 4/5 of them (Leeds is a free hit) are against teams also struggling near us - if we can't pick up a decent amount of points against them then he's got to go.

Saying that, if he squanders the chance to pick up points against them then it may already be too late and we might as well just accept relegation to somewhat soften the blow when it inevitably happens.

If relegation is inevitable, isn't he the man to be given a chance in League 1?

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Talk of PH going on 09:04 - Oct 4 with 3582 viewsGarv

Talk of PH going on 08:47 - Oct 4 by BlueBadger

Keane is not a bad comparison, Jewell a different situation. Jewell came in after Keane, mid season, and made a Mick-like improvement (maybe not as dramatic), lifted the whole mood after the dark Lord, got more results, Bullard etc. It was only the start of the next season and then the season after where it started to really fall apart.

I wonder if Evans is weighing up whether this is a more or less impressive start than Keane's for an indication of whether it's worth persisting with.

Talk of PH going on 09:10 - Oct 4 with 3549 viewsBiGDonnie

Talk of PH going on 09:00 - Oct 4 by Garv

Wouldn't we all love to have been sat in on the discussions the two of them had regarding transfers over the summer?

How hard did we try to keep Waghorn? Did Evans or even Hurst push for more Championship experience and the other didn't cooperate? What were the genuine expectation for the season?

Haha, got sidetracked when I started to think of the current situation and saw the red mist.

In theory the route we took could have worked, yet the players we've gone for just aren't good enough. We've already discussed the fact that no other clubs were in for the players we went for.

It also reminds me of the last time Noriwch went up to the Prem. They signed all the best young players from the Championship knowing that if they did go back down they'd be in a good position to go straight back up. Maybe that trail of thought entered Evans mind, in that if we do go down to League one, we won't need a massive overhaul.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Talk of PH going on 09:22 - Oct 4 with 3494 viewsmonty_radio

Talk of PH going on 09:00 - Oct 4 by Garv

The impatience shown by more and more is exasperating, as is the false memory of what we were like in the months leading up to Mick's departure. Yes, he kept us up, but the disillusionment was huge as was the gap in class with the top-half teams.

None of us, especially the ITK claimants, know how hard or easy it would have been to hold on to the few prized assets we lost. Evans is what we have, and the budgetary constraint is something that deters the top managers and leaves us with younger maybes who are always going to struggle in the initial stages.

If Evans fires the gun (unlikely) no young up-and-coming is going to be available at this stage, and if he were, the dice would be rolling in the way they are now. Or it's the old lags - please no. I wanted Hurst as a hope that he might bring a new approach. Fear seems to have halted that. But, I, for one, am just as fearful of what might follow him.

As I wrote in a blog, he has been a serial winner. The cold touch of fear incites many to say he's reached beyond the level of his ability. But a new Santa request is as likely to bring a life-changing present to a poor man's house as ever it does.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Talk of PH going on 09:27 - Oct 4 with 3470 viewsITFC_Forever

Next International break after continuing the same pattern vs Swansea, QPR, Leeds, Millwall, PNE and Reading - games which should yield at least 9/10 points, but we'll scrape together 2 or 3.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Talk of PH going on 10:13 - Oct 4 with 3356 viewsNo9

Talk of PH going on 08:38 - Oct 4 by BiGDonnie

#HurstOut

"Ideally I'd have liked the chairman to act and step in when he started seeing the amount of upheaval and change short stuff wanted."

Isn't that why the owner needs a football man onboard?
Talk of PH going on 10:33 - Oct 4 with 3311 viewsKieran_Knows

I think it is likely at the end of this month. ME will give PH the international break, plus what seem 2 winnable games in QPR & Millwall to try and turn the tide.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Talk of PH going on 10:52 - Oct 4 with 3237 viewshammo56

Talk of PH going on 08:49 - Oct 4 by itfcjoe

Totally different situations though.

Keane was his first big appointment, had been given a lot of money and had success at this level with Sunderland.

Jewell had come in and kept us up well.

Hurst neither has the proven pedigree at this level or credit in the bank here. I'll be surprised if he is in the dugout v QPR

Think it is more likely to be nearer the QPR away game before Evans makes a decision on Hurst’s future.
Talk of PH going on 10:57 - Oct 4 with 3198 viewsDarth_Koont

I think he'll be given more time. As you say, just a couple of wins would transform our league position.

Evans also made the right choice both times we were in similar positions - letting Keane and the team sort it out and the next time replacing Jewell with McCarthy.

The difference with Jewell was that we knew that the poor results were the culmination of two and a half years of his management and recruitment. It also indicated the type of manager we needed to come in and sort it out.

Just now, I don't believe anyone knows enough about what we're dealing with, how much of it is confidence-related and linked to the absence of a win, and perhaps most importantly, who would we get in and what would we expect them to do. So while we're still within easy reach of safety I think we should at least get more information about Hurst and the players.

Pronouns: He/Him

Talk of PH going on 11:38 - Oct 4 with 3112 viewsSlambo

Talk of PH going on 09:22 - Oct 4 by monty_radio

The impatience shown by more and more is exasperating, as is the false memory of what we were like in the months leading up to Mick's departure. Yes, he kept us up, but the disillusionment was huge as was the gap in class with the top-half teams.

None of us, especially the ITK claimants, know how hard or easy it would have been to hold on to the few prized assets we lost. Evans is what we have, and the budgetary constraint is something that deters the top managers and leaves us with younger maybes who are always going to struggle in the initial stages.

If Evans fires the gun (unlikely) no young up-and-coming is going to be available at this stage, and if he were, the dice would be rolling in the way they are now. Or it's the old lags - please no. I wanted Hurst as a hope that he might bring a new approach. Fear seems to have halted that. But, I, for one, am just as fearful of what might follow him.

As I wrote in a blog, he has been a serial winner. The cold touch of fear incites many to say he's reached beyond the level of his ability. But a new Santa request is as likely to bring a life-changing present to a poor man's house as ever it does.

I completely agree in principle, and if it was just bad results then I would definitely be urging everyone to get behind Hurst for the long haul; but what concerns me is the apparent complete breakdown on relations behind the scenes. You could dismiss it as hearsay and rumour-mongering at first, but clearly there are serious issues. Just don't know if Hurst can mend these fissures. The only way THAT can be done is, unfortunately, getting in a new manager and personality coming in...

It kills me, because I really thought Evans got it right this time, and i'm still so desperate for this to work. I never saw it coming that Hurst would be such a destructive, divisive character. Just can't see how this can be salvaged...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Talk of PH going on 11:57 - Oct 4 with 3061 viewsGuthrum

Talk of PH going on 08:59 - Oct 4 by Reuser_is_God

That's what I'd go for. A win on Saturday may buy a stay of execution.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Talk of PH going on 12:03 - Oct 4 with 3030 views44_not_out

Talk of PH going on 08:59 - Oct 4 by Reuser_is_God

I’d prefer, lose Saturday, sacked Saturday. At least that will brighten up the weekend a little bit!
Talk of PH going on 12:05 - Oct 4 with 3021 viewsbackwiththeboysagain

Talk of PH going on 11:57 - Oct 4 by Guthrum

That's what I'd go for. A win on Saturday may buy a stay of execution.

Sounds odd, but that’s what I’m dreading. We get a win, it’ll just will paper over the cracks and to be honest I can’t see us winning too many more if he remains.
I do fear a heavy defeat on Saturday but if that means the end of Hurst and Doig then I’d take it, we then have two weeks to find someone to sort the team out. It’ll be tough to do, but I’d prefer someone other than Hurst to do it.
Talk of PH going on 12:30 - Oct 4 with 2926 viewsfactual_blue

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Talk of PH going on 12:39 - Oct 4 with 2876 viewsGuthrum

Talk of PH going on 12:05 - Oct 4 by backwiththeboysagain

Sounds odd, but that’s what I’m dreading. We get a win, it’ll just will paper over the cracks and to be honest I can’t see us winning too many more if he remains.
I do fear a heavy defeat on Saturday but if that means the end of Hurst and Doig then I’d take it, we then have two weeks to find someone to sort the team out. It’ll be tough to do, but I’d prefer someone other than Hurst to do it.

Depends upon the nature of the win.

If we field a system which is effective, players being motivated and switched on, then that would show the signs of improvement we've all been longing for. As long as that was sustained (and we wouldn't know for two weeks), then I would be inclined to give Hurst more time.

But, on the other hand, if we perform like the first half at Birmingham - generally pretty poor but managed to work a couple of decent goals in isolated moments of good play - then it doesn't really move us any further forward, except perhaps in terms of morale.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Talk of PH going on 12:48 - Oct 4 with 2830 viewsDarth_Koont

Talk of PH going on 12:05 - Oct 4 by backwiththeboysagain

If the cracks are the lack of confidence of a manager and players making the step up then of course a win or two could start filling those in.

This can't go on for ever of course and at some point a change would need to be made. But I feel we need to get out of this winless run now just to know what we're really dealing with.

Pronouns: He/Him

Talk of PH going on 13:26 - Oct 4 with 2725 viewsJimmyJazz

Talk of PH going on 12:48 - Oct 4 by Darth_Koont

If the cracks are the lack of confidence of a manager and players making the step up then of course a win or two could start filling those in.

This can't go on for ever of course and at some point a change would need to be made. But I feel we need to get out of this winless run now just to know what we're really dealing with.

I think i'm in agreement, in that i'm not sure a win would really change that much. I think it would be an isolated win, as most of our problems on the field would still exist.

You could have said a week ago, that once Nolan scored his confidence would be boosted and we'd see an improvement. I didn't see anything too different in his game on Tuesday

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024