Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oxford 1985 13:24 - Oct 10 with 6782 viewsSmithy

https://www.worldfootball.net/report/premier-league-1985-1986-oxford-united-ipsw

Are those goal times correct?

3 up in 90th minute and lose?

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Oxford 1985 on 14:02 - Oct 10 with 6698 viewsGeoffSentence

Yep, I remember listening to the scores coming in on the radio. I was devastated.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Oxford 1985 on 14:49 - Oct 10 with 6654 viewskozmik

I was there - it was like watching a man melt

Supporter since 1965

Oxford 1985 on 14:52 - Oct 10 with 6647 viewsIllinoisblue

anyone got a video of this?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Oxford 1985 on 14:54 - Oct 10 with 6653 viewsfactual_blue

Oxford 1985 on 14:52 - Oct 10 by Illinoisblue

anyone got a video of this?

Any help?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Oxford 1985 on 15:01 - Oct 10 with 6638 viewsabingdon_blue

I was there and those times are wrong. We were 3-0 up at half-time kicking down the infamous Manor Ground slope. Oxford scored 4 in the 2nd half. John Aldridge got a quick fire hat-trick in about 10 terrible minutes. All my mates were Oxford fans and I was dreading facing them at school the following Monday morning.
Oxford 1985 on 15:32 - Oct 10 with 6599 viewsPendejo

Remember watching this game via that new fangled Ceefax on BBC1... just like the internet but less good.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Oxford 1985 on 16:44 - Oct 10 with 6517 viewspatrickswell

Oxford 1985 on 15:01 - Oct 10 by abingdon_blue

I was there and those times are wrong. We were 3-0 up at half-time kicking down the infamous Manor Ground slope. Oxford scored 4 in the 2nd half. John Aldridge got a quick fire hat-trick in about 10 terrible minutes. All my mates were Oxford fans and I was dreading facing them at school the following Monday morning.

Town were 3 up by the 53rd minute, but Oxford were level within 10 minutes. Gary Slatter scored the winner in the 80th minute, and when he did so, Bobby Ferguson apparently left the dugout and went to the dressing room.

Footage from the game used to be on YouTube, but it doesn't seem to be there any more. If it ever pops up again, it's best watched once and then never referred to again.

Anything else? Oh yes, Town had been beaten by the same scoreline the week before by Everton at Portman Road the previous week, in a match where we let a 2 goal lead slip. I know you're relegated over a whole season and those two results came at the end of a long run of games in which we claimed 2 points out of a possible 36, but those 2 matches proved crucial. Had we even managed to draw them both we would have stayed up.
Oxford 1985 on 17:06 - Oct 10 with 6491 viewssudburyblue16

Oxford 1985 on 16:44 - Oct 10 by patrickswell

Town were 3 up by the 53rd minute, but Oxford were level within 10 minutes. Gary Slatter scored the winner in the 80th minute, and when he did so, Bobby Ferguson apparently left the dugout and went to the dressing room.

Footage from the game used to be on YouTube, but it doesn't seem to be there any more. If it ever pops up again, it's best watched once and then never referred to again.

Anything else? Oh yes, Town had been beaten by the same scoreline the week before by Everton at Portman Road the previous week, in a match where we let a 2 goal lead slip. I know you're relegated over a whole season and those two results came at the end of a long run of games in which we claimed 2 points out of a possible 36, but those 2 matches proved crucial. Had we even managed to draw them both we would have stayed up.

Jon Hallworth's debut in goal too.

I remember Paul Cooper trying to console a shell-shocked Hallworth on the pitch after the final whistle.
Login to get fewer ads

Oxford 1985 on 17:15 - Oct 10 with 6479 viewsITFC_Forever

We let a two-goal lead slip in that Everton match I seem to remember - we were 2-0 and 3-1 up.
Everton were champions at the time.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Oxford 1985 on 18:51 - Oct 10 with 6413 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Had we drawn just the Oxford game we'd have stayed up. It was Oxford who sent us down as they best Arsenal 3-0 in the final game of the season, played two days after our last game. We'd lost 1-0 to Sheffield Wednesday.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Oxford 1985 on 22:52 - Oct 10 with 6280 viewspatrickswell

Oxford 1985 on 17:15 - Oct 10 by ITFC_Forever

We let a two-goal lead slip in that Everton match I seem to remember - we were 2-0 and 3-1 up.
Everton were champions at the time.

Almost - we were 2-0 up, but Everton led 3-2 by the hour mark. Terry Butcher scored to make it 3-3 and in his book, Both Sides of the Border, he talks about this match and the referee disallowing a fourth Town goal controversially. From the resulting free-kick, Everton got upfield and won a penalty that Trevor Steven scored to win them the match.
Oxford 1985 on 22:55 - Oct 10 with 6269 viewspatrickswell

Oxford 1985 on 18:51 - Oct 10 by The_Last_Baron

Had we drawn just the Oxford game we'd have stayed up. It was Oxford who sent us down as they best Arsenal 3-0 in the final game of the season, played two days after our last game. We'd lost 1-0 to Sheffield Wednesday.

No, we needed 2 more points as our goal difference was poor because we scored so few goals that season - 32 in total and 9 of those were scored across 3 league matches (6 in the 2 games with Oxford and 3 in defeat to Everton).

Edit - just looked at a table for that season. 1 more draw would have seen us on the same goal difference as Leicester, but they had scored over 20 more goals than we did so would have stayed up.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2018 23:02]
Oxford 1985 on 07:47 - Oct 11 with 6166 viewsSteve_M

Oxford 1985 on 22:52 - Oct 10 by patrickswell

Almost - we were 2-0 up, but Everton led 3-2 by the hour mark. Terry Butcher scored to make it 3-3 and in his book, Both Sides of the Border, he talks about this match and the referee disallowing a fourth Town goal controversially. From the resulting free-kick, Everton got upfield and won a penalty that Trevor Steven scored to win them the match.

Can you supply any other details of that match. It was my first game and my memory of it is incredibly hazy. Other than the scorers on pride of Anglia, there's not a great deal on line.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Oxford 1985 on 08:31 - Oct 11 with 6140 viewspatrickswell

Oxford 1985 on 07:47 - Oct 11 by Steve_M

Can you supply any other details of that match. It was my first game and my memory of it is incredibly hazy. Other than the scorers on pride of Anglia, there's not a great deal on line.

From Ipswich Town The Modern Era

Ipswich: Cooper; Yallop; McCall; Putney; Cranson; Butcher; Atkins; Dozzell; Brennan; Wilson; D’Avray (D’Avray 6, Wilson 31, Butcher 72)

Everton: Southall; Harper; Van den Hauwe; Ratcliffe; Stevens; Heath; Steven; Lineker; Sharp; Bracewell; Sheedy (Heath 35, Sharp 49, Sheedy 58, Steven 78[pen])

Referee: D Axcell
Att: 13,910

“Boosted by Butcher’s return, Town shock the reigning champions by taking a 2-0 lead through Wilson’s curling shot. Headers by Heath and Sharp pull it back. Butcher heads an equaliser after Sheedy’s rare right-footed goal. Cooper hauls down Lineker for the penalty-kick winner.”

Town were in 21st place after the game with 9 points from 17 matches.
Oxford 1985 on 08:37 - Oct 11 with 6133 viewsgainsboroughblue

Oxford 1985 on 08:31 - Oct 11 by patrickswell

From Ipswich Town The Modern Era

Ipswich: Cooper; Yallop; McCall; Putney; Cranson; Butcher; Atkins; Dozzell; Brennan; Wilson; D’Avray (D’Avray 6, Wilson 31, Butcher 72)

Everton: Southall; Harper; Van den Hauwe; Ratcliffe; Stevens; Heath; Steven; Lineker; Sharp; Bracewell; Sheedy (Heath 35, Sharp 49, Sheedy 58, Steven 78[pen])

Referee: D Axcell
Att: 13,910

“Boosted by Butcher’s return, Town shock the reigning champions by taking a 2-0 lead through Wilson’s curling shot. Headers by Heath and Sharp pull it back. Butcher heads an equaliser after Sheedy’s rare right-footed goal. Cooper hauls down Lineker for the penalty-kick winner.”

Town were in 21st place after the game with 9 points from 17 matches.

I remember Wilson's goal. Was a pearler at the north stand end. Sounds like sour grapes but we had some wretched luck with decisions and circumstances that year.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Oxford 1985 on 12:29 - Oct 11 with 6055 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Oxford 1985 on 22:55 - Oct 10 by patrickswell

No, we needed 2 more points as our goal difference was poor because we scored so few goals that season - 32 in total and 9 of those were scored across 3 league matches (6 in the 2 games with Oxford and 3 in defeat to Everton).

Edit - just looked at a table for that season. 1 more draw would have seen us on the same goal difference as Leicester, but they had scored over 20 more goals than we did so would have stayed up.

Wrong.

Oxford had 42 points, we had 41. Had we drawn we'd have had 42 - Oxford 40 as they'd have two points less.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Oxford 1985 on 12:38 - Oct 11 with 6042 viewsTrumptonBlue

Oxford 1985 on 22:55 - Oct 10 by patrickswell

It felt like we lost every other game 1-0 that season.
Oxford 1985 on 13:41 - Oct 11 with 6009 viewsSteve_M

Oxford 1985 on 08:37 - Oct 11 by gainsboroughblue

I remember Wilson's goal. Was a pearler at the north stand end. Sounds like sour grapes but we had some wretched luck with decisions and circumstances that year.

Relegation seasons are often like that, tales of "if onlys" and "maybes". Very few are as utterly piss poor as 94-95.

Oxford 1985 on 14:14 - Oct 11 with 5984 viewsITFC_Forever

Oxford 1985 on 08:37 - Oct 11 by gainsboroughblue

Yep, I stood at the front of the old Pioneer terrace for that game and was right behind the line of the ball - he curled it in to the far top corner an absolute treat.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Oxford 1985 on 20:17 - Oct 11 with 5921 viewspatrickswell

Oxford 1985 on 12:29 - Oct 11 by The_Last_Baron

Wrong.

Oxford had 42 points, we had 41. Had we drawn we'd have had 42 - Oxford 40 as they'd have two points less.

By Jove, I make you right.
Oxford 1985 on 22:09 - Oct 11 with 5878 viewsWallingford_Boy

Oxford 1985 on 15:01 - Oct 10 by abingdon_blue

I was there too.

2-0 at half time, 3-0 just after the break.

My first ever Ipswich game. I should have known right then I was in for years of heart break!

RIP Sir Bobby

Oxford 1985 on 00:28 - Oct 12 with 5833 viewsFifeITFC

Oxford 1985 on 07:47 - Oct 11 by Steve_M

Was the Everton 4-3 game your first too? Can't remember too much about it either, I was only 7. Would love to see some more footage from that era.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Oxford 1985 on 00:42 - Oct 12 with 5827 viewsLord_Lucan

Oxford 1985 on 18:51 - Oct 10 by The_Last_Baron

That Sheff W game was a mental day out. We went up in a Luton van, I don't think we could have fitted any more people in it. On the way back it smelled so bad that we had the back open down the M1, I swear to God I don't know how no one fell out.

We went to Nottingham on the way back and met a rather glum Wolves fan, they had just been relegated to the 4th division.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Oxford 1985 on 08:22 - Oct 12 with 5760 viewsSteve_M

Oxford 1985 on 00:28 - Oct 12 by FifeITFC

Was the Everton 4-3 game your first too? Can't remember too much about it either, I was only 7. Would love to see some more footage from that era.

Yes, I was a couple of years older than that but still don't remember much. Managed to get tickets through one of the players at the top of the Pioneer Stand.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024