Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are some people just thick or taking advantage. 11:37 - Oct 11 with 3874 viewsbritbiker

Conversation as a busy decorator to an existing client.
Client. I know your booked to past Xmas but could you fit in a small job.
Me. If I work late on current job to get it done I have only four days left available but I am really up against it.
Client. OK it's only a two day job.
Me. Great. Your booked.
Client. One day later. You said you had another two days. I decided I want the whole hall, stairs and landing totally repainted including doors, bannisters etc.
Me. No that will need at least seven days (very large house).
Client. But I want it done by Xmas.
Me. I cannot fit it in.
Client. OK could you just tidy up the walls and come back later and repaint it all.
Me. OK I will tidy everything up and book you in for January to re do everything.
Client. OK when you tidy up the walls could you also do all the woodwork as well.
Me. No as that is the whole job again.

And so it went on.

Later that day I had a new client ring. I informed her I had no dates this year. She then stated she wanted the whole house redecorated starting in two weeks.
Me. So you have only just realised your whole house needs doing immediately!!!!
I despair
Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 12:10 - Oct 11 with 3787 viewsGuthrum

Happens rather a lot. Often preceded by "... and you can't start until [several days/weeks after you really needed to]" or "the carpets [and perhaps furniture] are going in tomorrow". A recent - rushed - project turned into rooms filled with wardrobes and boxes while I'm trying to paint the ceilings, with the additional task of looking after their dog.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 12:13 - Oct 11 with 3769 viewsjjblue84

Are you the only painter and decorator that actually sticks to an agreed schedule???
Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 12:19 - Oct 11 with 3743 viewsNo9

It's CHRISTMAS
Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 12:24 - Oct 11 with 3722 viewsjeera

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 12:19 - Oct 11 by No9

It's CHRISTMAS

It happens to be his birthday.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 12:24 - Oct 11 with 3723 viewsReuser_is_God

I love it when a client thinks they're your only client.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2018 12:28]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 12:25 - Oct 11 with 3722 viewsSuperblue95

Oh you're a painter/decorator?

Excellent I've been looking for somebody to do some jobs for me before xmas. Does next week suit? It's only a couple of weeks worth of work

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 12:25 - Oct 11 with 3715 viewsChiefXL

Were you asked to pain a pebble-dashed house yellow and green?
Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 12:27 - Oct 11 with 3706 viewsGuthrum

The other one is "You can do it in the evening or at weekends". Gee, thanks.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 12:29 - Oct 11 with 3685 viewshoppy

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 12:27 - Oct 11 by Guthrum

Well, of course, they NEED it before Christmas, obviously.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 12:36 - Oct 11 with 3664 viewsbontcho

I'd add in selfish. "Who cares about these other people, I want this and that's the most important thing"

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 12:56 - Oct 11 with 3591 viewsPendejo

Happens in our industry aswell... people book their flights to USA then wake up and realize they haven't booked transport to airport and demand a car NOW! [has happened within last 30 mins]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 14:08 - Oct 11 with 3492 viewsbritbiker

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 12:27 - Oct 11 by Guthrum

I take two weeks off a year. One at Xmas the other in August. Last year a friend asked if I could help paint a children's nursery they had just purchased as a business venture. I said no due to the lack of holidays, but relented as it was the only week the place shut down during the year.

I went to look at it and was advised it was only three days work. The place was deralict. I said what three days and she said I knew you wouldn't come if I had told you the truth. The place has a 50 metre corridor that sucked the life out of you like a death eater when you entered. It had thousands of staples on the walls, broken and flickering lights, duct tape holding loose paneling and no heating. I ended up working over Xmas then did 12 hour night shifts for the next four weeks just to get the corridor and two classroom finished.
The place was down an old dark lane and was proper scary. I used to carry a hammer and blade around. They eventually put a polish van guard outside with a dog.

I recon I've done about three months there this year and have just got past half way. The clients have made a great job of the place though. They won't let me give the key back in a case I don't go back.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2018 17:01]
Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 14:11 - Oct 11 with 3481 viewsbritbiker

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 12:13 - Oct 11 by jjblue84

Are you the only painter and decorator that actually sticks to an agreed schedule???

I've never gone past a scheduled date in the last ten years. If I'm running late or there are extras I just work late. Unfortunately I'm a bit OCD so probably chose the wrong profession.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2018 16:59]
Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 14:13 - Oct 11 with 3464 viewsbritbiker

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 12:25 - Oct 11 by ChiefXL

Were you asked to pain a pebble-dashed house yellow and green?

For my sins I actually renovated my beach hut and painted it green and yellow. A little bit of sick comes up every time I go there.
Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 14:27 - Oct 11 with 3430 viewsGavTWTD

Happens to me as well. People keep wanting site updates ffs

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 14:29 - Oct 11 with 3424 viewsGeoffSentence

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 14:13 - Oct 11 by britbiker

For my sins I actually renovated my beach hut and painted it green and yellow. A little bit of sick comes up every time I go there.

You should look out for a painter and decorator to redo it in a decent shade of blue and white for you. It can be tricky finding a reliable one though.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 14:49 - Oct 11 with 3387 viewsfactual_blue

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 14:27 - Oct 11 by GavTWTD

Happens to me as well. People keep wanting site updates ffs

How would you cope with being Harry, eh?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 15:08 - Oct 11 with 3353 viewsGavTWTD

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 14:49 - Oct 11 by factual_blue

How would you cope with being Harry, eh?

Oh I'm just like him, just not as busy

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 15:09 - Oct 11 with 3345 viewshoppy

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 15:08 - Oct 11 by GavTWTD

Oh I'm just like him, just not as busy

But just as popular in Millwall?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 15:15 - Oct 11 with 3328 viewsKeno

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 15:09 - Oct 11 by hoppy

But just as popular in Millwall?

He is known as Stu to most Millwall fans

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 17:41 - Oct 13 with 3035 viewsBerkshire_Blue

Why don't you just say 'no'?
Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 17:48 - Oct 13 with 3024 viewstextbackup

as someone who has been doing my entire house up from scratch my rule of thumb is normally if I need someone in to do work (that I cant do) if its mates I know i'll need to book in atleast 2 months in advance, if its not mates (and I know ill be paying more) I work at around a month before I can expect a day free.

however something like painting takes an age, so I don't pay anyone to do that lol

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 18:48 - Oct 13 with 2942 viewsbritbiker

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 17:41 - Oct 13 by Berkshire_Blue

Why don't you just say 'no'?

You say no and the client hears.
"Yes and I would be happy to fit seven days into two by inventing additional days of the week that don't yet exist and also I will only charge for two as well".
Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 11:43 - Oct 14 with 2761 viewsjjblue84

Are some people just thick or taking advantage. on 14:11 - Oct 11 by britbiker

I've never gone past a scheduled date in the last ten years. If I'm running late or there are extras I just work late. Unfortunately I'm a bit OCD so probably chose the wrong profession.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2018 16:59]

Sounds like you're in the running for National Heritage Status !!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024