Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
peter jackson 12:47 - Oct 11 with 2145 viewsjaykay

saw this clip the other day, don't know if it has been discussed here.
peter jackson has put film footage of w.w.1 in hd.
just outstanding

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

peter jackson on 13:00 - Oct 11 with 2093 viewsGuthrum

It's very well done. By correcting the speed, sharpening and colourising the footage - making it look "natural" - it removes some of the perceived distance between those people then and us now. Gets rid of any feeling of "quaintness".

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

peter jackson on 13:06 - Oct 11 with 2067 viewsStokieBlue

They even sent the footage off to teams of lip readers to try and recreate what was being said in the silent black and white videos.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

peter jackson on 13:09 - Oct 11 with 2055 viewsBinner

Really impressive

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

peter jackson on 13:18 - Oct 11 with 2028 viewsBluish

I think I spotted Captain Edmund Blackadder around the minute mark, emerging from a shelter.
peter jackson on 13:36 - Oct 11 with 1995 viewsSwansea_Blue

"when the war was quiet it was really rather fun to be in the front line. It was not very dangerous. A sort of out out of doors camping holiday with the boys".

An interesting perspective!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

peter jackson on 13:56 - Oct 11 with 1944 viewsGuthrum

peter jackson on 13:36 - Oct 11 by Swansea_Blue

"when the war was quiet it was really rather fun to be in the front line. It was not very dangerous. A sort of out out of doors camping holiday with the boys".

An interesting perspective!

But not an uncommon one, in both World Wars. The major fighting tended to be limited to specific sectors of the front (where things were very unpleasant), but the rest tended to be fairly quiet, with neither side really wanting to antagonise the other into causing unnecessary casualties. Plus a lot of troops never (or only rarely) went near the front line - all those involved in admin, logistics, base camps, training, transport and the like.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

peter jackson on 14:03 - Oct 11 with 1932 viewsThrobbe

peter jackson on 13:56 - Oct 11 by Guthrum

But not an uncommon one, in both World Wars. The major fighting tended to be limited to specific sectors of the front (where things were very unpleasant), but the rest tended to be fairly quiet, with neither side really wanting to antagonise the other into causing unnecessary casualties. Plus a lot of troops never (or only rarely) went near the front line - all those involved in admin, logistics, base camps, training, transport and the like.

Also needs to be seen in the context of life before the war for those men. Many from our neck of the woods would have been farm labourers, with very little expectation of doing anything else, or indeed moving very far from their birthplace.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

peter jackson on 14:11 - Oct 11 with 1916 viewsKeno

peter jackson on 13:56 - Oct 11 by Guthrum

An old friend of mine served in the 8th Army in WW2 in Monty's Map room. Said it was the best few years of his life, saw lots of places he wouldn't have visited otherwise and was only shot at once by a Welsh Guard (oe welsh guard) cos they late back to camp one night

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

peter jackson on 15:03 - Oct 11 with 1848 viewsjaykay

peter jackson on 13:00 - Oct 11 by Guthrum

It's very well done. By correcting the speed, sharpening and colourising the footage - making it look "natural" - it removes some of the perceived distance between those people then and us now. Gets rid of any feeling of "quaintness".

spot on.as you well elegantly put , it takes the quaintness away, makes you see the real men. not some distant speedy quirky film clip. as someone else said some would have been farm hands, never been out of their village let alone their county.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

peter jackson on 19:21 - Oct 11 with 1693 viewspimballwizard

This Tuesday 16th many cinemas across the country are screening the link up with Peter Jackson and Mark Kermode with the 2.5 hours offering. Have tried to book quite a few places in LON area but all appear to be sold out.

From the promos that I have seen it looks absolutely captivating and I guess I will have to wait in line. (Not really that keen on "Mr Commode" anyway. )
peter jackson on 06:58 - Oct 12 with 1555 viewsWeWereZombies

peter jackson on 14:03 - Oct 11 by Throbbe

Also needs to be seen in the context of life before the war for those men. Many from our neck of the woods would have been farm labourers, with very little expectation of doing anything else, or indeed moving very far from their birthplace.

'I knew the next sentry up quite well. I remembered him in Suffolk singing to his horses as he ploughed. Now he fell back with a great scream and a look of surprise - dead. It is quick anyway, I thought.'

Leonard Thompson, farm-worker in Ronald Blythe's 'Akenfield', Allen Lane, London, 1969 page 40

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024