Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Tory government 08:12 - Oct 15 with 10577 viewsHerbivore

Got to be the worst in living memory, surely?

I know May wasn't dealt a good hand but her attempted power grab last year has effectively left her a hostage to the lunatic fringe of her own party and the DUP. This means that delivering Brexit has gone from bloody difficult to virtually impossible. There was never going to be a way of delivering a Brexit that made most happy but it's looking like the options left on the table aren't palatable to anyone.

Domestically, homelessness and deaths amongst the homeless are massively on the rise. Public services are stretched close to breaking point after 8 years of austerity. Knife crime is on the rise. Child poverty and use of food banks is rife. Universal credit is making life intolerable for the poorest and most vulnerable members of society. The rail network is a bigger sh!t show than ever. The country is horribly divided and the far right are rising. Economic growth is largely based on another credit bubble (that worked well last time) rather than increased productivity.

Tell me again about strong and stable government....

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This Tory government on 08:48 - Oct 15 with 4216 viewsSwansea_Blue

Hmm, I reckon Cameron / Osborne takes the cup. Pretty much all the problems you’re talking about were caused by them. But it’s a close one. It’s the political equivalent of the ‘who was worse’ question: Keane or PJ?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This Tory government on 08:58 - Oct 15 with 4198 viewsfactual_blue

Well, there's never actually been a good one.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

This Tory government on 09:01 - Oct 15 with 4196 viewsimsureazzure

We live in a country where the poor are obese, the police lock their car doors when one of their own is getting murdered by an islamist nutter, who had not been sent to prison for stabbing someone in the face.

Somehow although the current government is a sh1tshow and being derailed by Brexit, the blame for the countries ills can not be entirely laid at their feet.
This Tory government on 09:10 - Oct 15 with 4159 viewsHerbivore

This Tory government on 08:48 - Oct 15 by Swansea_Blue

Hmm, I reckon Cameron / Osborne takes the cup. Pretty much all the problems you’re talking about were caused by them. But it’s a close one. It’s the political equivalent of the ‘who was worse’ question: Keane or PJ?

Fair point. It's a tough call, both have been utterly disastrous.

This Tory government on 09:10 - Oct 15 with 4167 viewsGlasgowBlue

One of the worst, for sure. Utterly weak and incompetent.But I assume you’re not old enough to remember the Callaghan government!

Begging money from the IMF, cuts to the budget in one year that Osborne couldn’t manage in six, strike after strike, the dead going unburied, food shortages, petrol shortages, rubbish piled up on the streets, oh and a government held hostage by the lunatic fring of their own party and Enoch Powell’s Ulster Unionists.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This Tory government on 09:16 - Oct 15 with 4155 viewsBlueBadger

This Tory government on 09:10 - Oct 15 by Herbivore

Fair point. It's a tough call, both have been utterly disastrous.

In this analogy would this make Boris the political equivalent of Jimmy Bullard - an ostensible saviour who, when actually asked to make a long-term fist of a job, turns out to be a lazy incompetent who's only contribution is to completely disrupt everyone else whilst fleecing his employers for as much money as possible that only an idiot would continue to champion the cause of?
[Post edited 15 Oct 2018 9:24]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This Tory government on 09:16 - Oct 15 with 4140 viewsHerbivore

This Tory government on 09:01 - Oct 15 by imsureazzure

We live in a country where the poor are obese, the police lock their car doors when one of their own is getting murdered by an islamist nutter, who had not been sent to prison for stabbing someone in the face.

Somehow although the current government is a sh1tshow and being derailed by Brexit, the blame for the countries ills can not be entirely laid at their feet.

Let me guess, the problem is 'the left'?

This Tory government on 09:19 - Oct 15 with 4129 viewsHerbivore

This Tory government on 09:16 - Oct 15 by BlueBadger

In this analogy would this make Boris the political equivalent of Jimmy Bullard - an ostensible saviour who, when actually asked to make a long-term fist of a job, turns out to be a lazy incompetent who's only contribution is to completely disrupt everyone else whilst fleecing his employers for as much money as possible that only an idiot would continue to champion the cause of?

Very good. Jeremy Hunt is Lee Martin, nobody is quite sure what he actually offers or how he's cost us so much money when he mostly just looks feckless.

Login to get fewer ads

This Tory government on 09:22 - Oct 15 with 4114 viewsfactual_blue

This Tory government on 09:16 - Oct 15 by BlueBadger

So who is the Tamas Priskin of the current administration.

I use 'administration' here in the loosest possible sense of the word.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

This Tory government on 09:26 - Oct 15 with 4097 viewsBlueBadger

This Tory government on 09:22 - Oct 15 by factual_blue

So who is the Tamas Priskin of the current administration.

I use 'administration' here in the loosest possible sense of the word.

Chris Grayling?
[Post edited 15 Oct 2018 9:38]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

This Tory government on 09:31 - Oct 15 with 4072 viewsBlueBadger

This Tory government on 09:19 - Oct 15 by Herbivore

Very good. Jeremy Hunt is Lee Martin, nobody is quite sure what he actually offers or how he's cost us so much money when he mostly just looks feckless.

...and the management still insist on giving him an important role, despite the fact that he's patently rubbish.

This Tory government on 09:45 - Oct 15 with 4036 viewsGlasgowBlue

This Tory government on 09:19 - Oct 15 by Herbivore

Does that make Corbyn Gary Megson? The unacceptable alternative.

And Vince Cable as Alan Curbishley? Would have been decent a few years ago.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2018 9:47]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This Tory government on 09:45 - Oct 15 with 4040 viewsGeoffSentence

Anyone remember May's "burning injustices" ? Has she done anything about any of them?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

This Tory government on 09:46 - Oct 15 with 4030 viewstabletopjoe

This is what happens when the main parties ignore the biggest issue of the country and then hold a referendum to save their own party.

Interestingly, the problems you right describe below exist despite years of record public spending on them

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

This Tory government on 09:49 - Oct 15 with 3993 viewsFixed_It

Yeah - but at least she is 'strong and stable'...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

This Tory government on 09:52 - Oct 15 with 3982 viewsHerbivore

This Tory government on 09:46 - Oct 15 by tabletopjoe

This is what happens when the main parties ignore the biggest issue of the country and then hold a referendum to save their own party.

Interestingly, the problems you right describe below exist despite years of record public spending on them

What issue were they ignoring?

Interested to see your figures relating to record spending on all those things. Local government, which is responsible for many of the things listed, has undergone significant budget cuts leading to greatly reduced services over the last 8 years.

This Tory government on 09:55 - Oct 15 with 3970 viewstabletopjoe

This Tory government on 09:52 - Oct 15 by Herbivore

Interested to see your figures relating to record spending on all those things. Local government, which is responsible for many of the things listed, has undergone significant budget cuts leading to greatly reduced services over the last 8 years.

Really, you’ve not noticed that membership of the EU is rather a large issue? When did any of the main parties make an election pledge to represent the majority desire to leave?

This Tory government on 09:55 - Oct 15 with 3967 viewsBlueBadger

This Tory government on 09:46 - Oct 15 by tabletopjoe

I'm sure it is pure coincidence that this problems have gotten significantly worse with significant cuts in funding to services.

This Tory government on 09:56 - Oct 15 with 3962 viewsHerbivore

This Tory government on 09:55 - Oct 15 by tabletopjoe

Really, you’ve not noticed that membership of the EU is rather a large issue? When did any of the main parties make an election pledge to represent the majority desire to leave?

At the last election?

This Tory government on 09:58 - Oct 15 with 3968 viewsBlueBadger

This Tory government on 09:55 - Oct 15 by tabletopjoe

Historically, pre-2017, in the list of concerns expressed by voters in General elections 'Europe' lagged far, far, behind issues such as the economy, housing, health and law and order.

It was a minor issue cynically exaggerated by a desperate and incompetent prime minister in the hope that he could unit his squabbling party.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2018 11:00]

This Tory government on 10:00 - Oct 15 with 3965 viewsBlueBadger

This Tory government on 09:52 - Oct 15 by Herbivore

In the local paper round here a few weeks ago one of their columnists(in response to a recent story that a local council was opening a homeless shelter) expressed his concern over rising homelessness and called for a 'libertarian' solution because the council actually doing something about it was evidence of 'bureaucracy not tackling a problem'. Someone wrote in and pointed out that reducing government funding and hoping that charities and the Efficient Private Sector would take up the slack(as has been government policy for the last 8 years) was at the root of the issue that he was so concerned about. He hasn't put his name to article since.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2018 10:16]

This Tory government on 10:03 - Oct 15 with 3953 viewstabletopjoe

This Tory government on 09:55 - Oct 15 by BlueBadger

I'm sure it is pure coincidence that this problems have gotten significantly worse with significant cuts in funding to services.

These problems have been getting worse far longer than perceived funding cuts

This Tory government on 10:05 - Oct 15 with 3946 viewsSomethingBlue

This Tory government on 10:03 - Oct 15 by tabletopjoe

Perceived?

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

This Tory government on 10:12 - Oct 15 with 3915 viewsBlueBadger

This Tory government on 10:03 - Oct 15 by tabletopjoe

Figures were falling in 2010, static at worst, even taking into account a change in data collection methods

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10929761

Now?

More than double what they were in 2010

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jan/25/rough-sleeper-numbers-in-england

This Tory government on 10:13 - Oct 15 with 3912 viewsBlueBadger

This Tory government on 10:05 - Oct 15 by SomethingBlue

Perceived?

'Í haven't seen it affect me, so it can't be real'.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024