Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... 21:14 - Oct 15 with 1590 viewschristiand

How can a player control a follow through or a trailing leg when making a challenge? Just ludicrous!!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 21:20 - Oct 15 with 1568 viewsStokieBlue

Ref is all over the show.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 21:25 - Oct 15 with 1553 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Wasn't it about wrapping the trailing leg around the standing leg of the one being tackled? Tackling has to be a lot more controlled than it once did. The game has changed. I understood the decisions the ref has made, but would have been disappointed not to have a penalty if I was Spanish. However, we should also have had a free kick on the edge of the area early in the half.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 21:26 - Oct 15 with 1553 viewsHarry_Palmer

Ridiculous decision, perfect tackle by Maguire.

If the rules say that's a foul then the rules need changing.
You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 21:43 - Oct 15 with 1522 viewschristiand

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 21:26 - Oct 15 by Harry_Palmer

Ridiculous decision, perfect tackle by Maguire.

If the rules say that's a foul then the rules need changing.

Surely it’s about that initial contact with the ball? Maguire has won the ball cleanly and fairly, but how the hell is anybody then able to control their momentum after making a challenge, does that not go against the basic laws of physics? It seems now it’s more about the follow through than the initial tackle.

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 21:47 - Oct 15 with 1499 viewsNthsuffolkblue

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 21:43 - Oct 15 by christiand

Surely it’s about that initial contact with the ball? Maguire has won the ball cleanly and fairly, but how the hell is anybody then able to control their momentum after making a challenge, does that not go against the basic laws of physics? It seems now it’s more about the follow through than the initial tackle.

It is, which means there are tackles that used to be legitimate that no longer are.

What really needs investigating is whether the rule changes have made a significant difference to the likelihood of players suffering serious injury.

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 21:55 - Oct 15 with 1474 viewschristiand

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 21:47 - Oct 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

It is, which means there are tackles that used to be legitimate that no longer are.

What really needs investigating is whether the rule changes have made a significant difference to the likelihood of players suffering serious injury.

I can understand your earlier point about the trailing leg, but when the defending player hasn’t made a second movement with his follow through and it is just momentum, like Maguire’s challenge, it really takes away the art of tackling in my opinion.

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 21:58 - Oct 15 with 1464 viewsNthsuffolkblue

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 21:55 - Oct 15 by christiand

I can understand your earlier point about the trailing leg, but when the defending player hasn’t made a second movement with his follow through and it is just momentum, like Maguire’s challenge, it really takes away the art of tackling in my opinion.

I can see your point but would say rather it changes the art rather than takes it away. It is even more important now not to dive in, even if you can time it well enough to get the ball.

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 22:02 - Oct 15 with 1448 viewschristiand

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 21:58 - Oct 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

I can see your point but would say rather it changes the art rather than takes it away. It is even more important now not to dive in, even if you can time it well enough to get the ball.

Disagree. That challenge tonight was perfectly decent. It doesn’t really change the art of tackling, just stops it completely as no player will tackle over the fear of their trailing leg.

Login to get fewer ads

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 22:08 - Oct 15 with 1424 viewsstrikalite

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 22:02 - Oct 15 by christiand

Disagree. That challenge tonight was perfectly decent. It doesn’t really change the art of tackling, just stops it completely as no player will tackle over the fear of their trailing leg.

Maguire had a split second to make a decision as to whether he would win the ball cleanly, he did, it was a great sliding tackle, the game has gone mate if that's deemed a foul...

Agree, it's only his momentum that takes him into the player.......would that be a foul in the Championship then?
You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 22:43 - Oct 15 with 1397 viewsHoppersblue10

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 22:08 - Oct 15 by strikalite

Maguire had a split second to make a decision as to whether he would win the ball cleanly, he did, it was a great sliding tackle, the game has gone mate if that's deemed a foul...

Agree, it's only his momentum that takes him into the player.......would that be a foul in the Championship then?

You need to be in control of a tackle if you are going in with that force and to a degree off the ground ie sliding in, yes the game has changed for me it was a free kick as he was not in control after he won the ball, it’s about trying to protect players from serious injury.

Poll: Who do you want to win on Sunday?

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 22:46 - Oct 15 with 1385 viewspeterleeblue

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 22:43 - Oct 15 by Hoppersblue10

You need to be in control of a tackle if you are going in with that force and to a degree off the ground ie sliding in, yes the game has changed for me it was a free kick as he was not in control after he won the ball, it’s about trying to protect players from serious injury.

The official phrase is "endangering the safety of your opponent"
You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 23:13 - Oct 15 with 1368 viewsSimonds92

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 22:43 - Oct 15 by Hoppersblue10

Football is a contact sport though and should be treated as such. There are going to be aspects where a player is in danger of getting injured and for me that can make a player. Players that people romanticise about even from the Premier League era wouldn't be half as good without that bit of aggression in their game. I would argue that its why our leagues specifically are watched more than every other. In an environment where football is described as a business, why do the governing bodies feel the need to take away a reasonably big aspect of the entertainment?
You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 09:01 - Oct 16 with 1214 viewsNthQldITFC

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 22:46 - Oct 15 by peterleeblue

The official phrase is "endangering the safety of your opponent"

Every tackle, every shoulder to shoulder, every jump for a header could be called "endangering the safety of your opponent". It's lily-livered, limp-wristed bullshot as far as I am concerned. Risk averse, litigation averse, sanitised carp. What's happened to the game, what's happened to this country, what's happened to us. I'm revolting! Rant over.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

You just aren’t allowed to tackle these days..... on 09:04 - Oct 16 with 1205 viewsKieran_Knows

Does my head in. The yellow cards for Maguire and Dier were pathetic.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024