Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you eat slaughter-free meat? 14:13 - Oct 16 with 8338 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45865403

Well would ya?

All very startrek.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 16:22 - Oct 17 with 1959 viewscaught-in-limbo

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 15:55 - Oct 17 by Herbivore

Then don't.

What's up Herb? You've suddenly gone all prickly. You okay?
[Post edited 17 Oct 2018 16:46]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 20:24 - Oct 17 with 1923 viewsHerbivore

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 16:22 - Oct 17 by caught-in-limbo

What's up Herb? You've suddenly gone all prickly. You okay?
[Post edited 17 Oct 2018 16:46]

I'm fine thanks. I was going for concise.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 20:30 - Oct 17 with 1917 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Having not eaten any for about 40 years meat, wherever it is from, has less than zero appeal to be honest.........even bacon butties!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 00:31 - Oct 19 with 1877 viewsBlueBadger

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 16:40 - Oct 16 by caught-in-limbo

Safe in the normal sense of the word safe in the expression developped over millennia, "safe to eat".

Meat, evolved over millennia isn't 'safe' to eat until you cook it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

on 06:50 - Oct 19 with 1859 views_

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 14:24 - Oct 16 by giant_stow

Yeah, except it's grown in a lab. Brilliant stuff - vegan's ought to be jumping on this.

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 09:34 - Oct 19 with 1827 viewsStokieBlue

on 06:50 - Oct 19 by _

In what way are you sceptical libby?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

on 09:37 - Oct 19 with 1818 views_

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 09:34 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

In what way are you sceptical libby?

SB

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 09:58 - Oct 19 with 1807 viewsHarry_Palmer

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 15:56 - Oct 17 by StokieBlue

Really?

It's a natural process which should be explainable by science given time. Once something is explainable it can be reproducible given time, research and knowledge.

There is no reason why, given research and time the two forms of meat would be indistinguishable, in fact there wouldn't be two forms of meat, there would just be meat.

Not trusting the intentions is different to being able to reproduce identical meat.

SB

I take your general point here but - 'a natural process' ?

I don't think anything being created in a lab to replicate something else can be described as natural can it?
Login to get fewer ads

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 10:24 - Oct 19 with 1797 viewsStokieBlue

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 09:58 - Oct 19 by Harry_Palmer

I take your general point here but - 'a natural process' ?

I don't think anything being created in a lab to replicate something else can be described as natural can it?

I didn't say the lab grown meat would be a natural process, I said that animals growing is a natural process.

I then went on to say that it should be fully reproducible in a lab if you understand the process, something which is undoubtedly true. It wouldn't be a natural process in the same way but the end product should be indistinguishable given time and research.

I guess you could get into the semantics of what a natural process is because depending on how it's done things in the lab can be seen as natural processes. Creating diamonds for instance is no different to how it's done in nature, it's just pressure and heat. Where those things come from shouldn't really matter.

SB

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 10:26 - Oct 19 with 1793 viewsStokieBlue

on 09:37 - Oct 19 by _

Fair enough and I can see the point especially with regards to food, however "nature" is just a set of biological or chemical process which humans should be able to replace. I think the issue is more how they are replaced and whether the people doing it have vested interests which can cause concerns.

Cars replaced horses but I suspect you don't see that as a backward step.

SB

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 10:50 - Oct 19 with 1782 viewsHarry_Palmer

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 10:24 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

I didn't say the lab grown meat would be a natural process, I said that animals growing is a natural process.

I then went on to say that it should be fully reproducible in a lab if you understand the process, something which is undoubtedly true. It wouldn't be a natural process in the same way but the end product should be indistinguishable given time and research.

I guess you could get into the semantics of what a natural process is because depending on how it's done things in the lab can be seen as natural processes. Creating diamonds for instance is no different to how it's done in nature, it's just pressure and heat. Where those things come from shouldn't really matter.

SB

I'm really not trying to be pedantic but you did not mention animals growing if you read back, even if that is what you meant.

Anyway I do take your larger points and I'm sure you are right. It's definitely not a type of product I would be personally interested in eating but I can certainly see the huge potential benefits it could bring regarding the environment etc.
Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 11:01 - Oct 19 with 1777 viewsStokieBlue

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 10:50 - Oct 19 by Harry_Palmer

I'm really not trying to be pedantic but you did not mention animals growing if you read back, even if that is what you meant.

Anyway I do take your larger points and I'm sure you are right. It's definitely not a type of product I would be personally interested in eating but I can certainly see the huge potential benefits it could bring regarding the environment etc.

Certainly agree with you on the potential benefits for the environment, getting people to eat this might be easier to achieve than getting people to stop eating meat. I wouldn't have a problem with it once it's been fully developed and the proper standards and safeguards are in place.

SB

on 11:21 - Oct 19 with 1774 views_

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 10:26 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

Fair enough and I can see the point especially with regards to food, however "nature" is just a set of biological or chemical process which humans should be able to replace. I think the issue is more how they are replaced and whether the people doing it have vested interests which can cause concerns.

Cars replaced horses but I suspect you don't see that as a backward step.

SB

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 11:26 - Oct 19 with 1772 viewsStokieBlue

on 11:21 - Oct 19 by _

I saw Mennonite communities in Belize and they seemed pretty happy with their horse and carts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennonites
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennonites_in_Belize

I agree we might not currently understand everything (and probably never will) but everything must be explainable to something of high enough intelligence unless one believes in a being such as god. Lab grown meat is still pretty far away though in any quantities that would make any difference.

SB

on 11:37 - Oct 19 with 1764 views_

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 11:26 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

I saw Mennonite communities in Belize and they seemed pretty happy with their horse and carts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennonites
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennonites_in_Belize

I agree we might not currently understand everything (and probably never will) but everything must be explainable to something of high enough intelligence unless one believes in a being such as god. Lab grown meat is still pretty far away though in any quantities that would make any difference.

SB

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 13:39 - Oct 19 with 1743 viewsHarry_Palmer

on 11:37 - Oct 19 by _

I think it comes across very well Libero. Your views are very much in alignment with my own here, have an uppie!
Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 13:43 - Oct 19 with 1738 viewschicoazul

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

on 13:43 - Oct 19 with 1737 views_

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 13:39 - Oct 19 by Harry_Palmer

I think it comes across very well Libero. Your views are very much in alignment with my own here, have an uppie!

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 13:45 - Oct 19 with 1731 viewsHerbivore

I doubt Neanderthal man ate wheat to be fair. The way meat is currently produced is so far removed from 'nature' that I don't really see that as a strong argument for rejecting meat grown in a lab.

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 13:47 - Oct 19 with 1734 viewsStokieBlue

I understand what your saying and your viewpoint, I don't agree with some of it but certainly can agree that human society has created issues for many people.

"forces that mould us and planes that we do not understand, cannot measure and do not see which effect us."

Not sure how "forces that mould us" is any different to believing in an omnipotent presence? Perhaps I don't understand your meaning?

"detached from our own animal instincts"

Is this such a bad thing? Animal instincts are just impulses evolved to keep the creature alive using any means available. To have moved beyond that into a moral framework and to be able to understand the world around us rather than simply existing and running on instinct fighting to survive is progress in my opinion.

I agree with your last paragraph although I don't think it's related to what we were discussing. It's got a good amount of truth in it though.

SB

on 13:53 - Oct 19 with 1728 views_

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 13:47 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

I understand what your saying and your viewpoint, I don't agree with some of it but certainly can agree that human society has created issues for many people.

"forces that mould us and planes that we do not understand, cannot measure and do not see which effect us."

Not sure how "forces that mould us" is any different to believing in an omnipotent presence? Perhaps I don't understand your meaning?

"detached from our own animal instincts"

Is this such a bad thing? Animal instincts are just impulses evolved to keep the creature alive using any means available. To have moved beyond that into a moral framework and to be able to understand the world around us rather than simply existing and running on instinct fighting to survive is progress in my opinion.

I agree with your last paragraph although I don't think it's related to what we were discussing. It's got a good amount of truth in it though.

SB

on 13:56 - Oct 19 with 1721 views_

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 13:43 - Oct 19 by chicoazul

on 14:01 - Oct 19 with 1713 views_

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 13:45 - Oct 19 by Herbivore

I doubt Neanderthal man ate wheat to be fair. The way meat is currently produced is so far removed from 'nature' that I don't really see that as a strong argument for rejecting meat grown in a lab.

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 14:01 - Oct 19 with 1712 viewschicoazul

on 13:56 - Oct 19 by _

The only difference between your statement and the Good Hitchens opinions is he believes in God and you're agnostic! I am enjoying more and more the new conservative Libero.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Would you eat slaughter-free meat? on 14:02 - Oct 19 with 1710 viewsHerbivore

on 14:01 - Oct 19 by _

I think the problem is human population growth, we're basically parasites that are rapidly killing our host.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024