Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heating/boiler engineer help. 13:47 - Oct 17 with 4194 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Our boiler is heating water, but cannot get central heating to work. Any advice or contacts would be gratefully received. Extra clothing not an option as has been suggested already. Thanks in advance.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 13:51 - Oct 17 with 4185 viewsfooters

I cannot help you, but this reminded me of a recent post in the Lowestoft FB group.

Someone posted something similar along the lines of: "I've got no hot water coming from my taps. None of my neighbours are experiencing this problem- why is that?"

Cue dozens of replies informing the poor soul that only cold water is supplied directly to your home. How some people dress themselves in the morning is still a mystery.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 14:06 - Oct 17 with 4148 viewsBasuco

It is worth tapping the heating pump with a hammer, sounds like the pump is seized up, this may free it up.
Heating/boiler engineer help. on 14:15 - Oct 17 with 4129 viewsNo9

Depends how your system is working. If you bioler is heating the water in the HW tank but not the CH it is likely to be either the pump or the thermostatic valves.
Heating/boiler engineer help. on 14:36 - Oct 17 with 4095 viewsfactual_blue

Have you tried switching it off and back on again?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 14:38 - Oct 17 with 4092 viewsNo9

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 14:36 - Oct 17 by factual_blue

Have you tried switching it off and back on again?

That only works for computers
Heating/boiler engineer help. on 14:39 - Oct 17 with 4091 viewsGeoffSentence

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 13:51 - Oct 17 by footers

I cannot help you, but this reminded me of a recent post in the Lowestoft FB group.

Someone posted something similar along the lines of: "I've got no hot water coming from my taps. None of my neighbours are experiencing this problem- why is that?"

Cue dozens of replies informing the poor soul that only cold water is supplied directly to your home. How some people dress themselves in the morning is still a mystery.

It's not totally stupid, in some parts of the world they do pipe hot water to people's homes.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 14:42 - Oct 17 with 4080 viewsNo9

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 14:39 - Oct 17 by GeoffSentence

It's not totally stupid, in some parts of the world they do pipe hot water to people's homes.

As an example - Russia
Heating/boiler engineer help. on 14:44 - Oct 17 with 4075 viewsBenters2

Erm it’s not cold ?
Login to get fewer ads

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 14:45 - Oct 17 with 4078 viewsfooters

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 14:39 - Oct 17 by GeoffSentence

That is the one thing I've learned today then! Must be a bloody nightmare when the big boiler's bust and no one on the street can have a bath...

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 14:54 - Oct 17 with 4056 viewsGeoffSentence

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 14:45 - Oct 17 by footers

That is the one thing I've learned today then! Must be a bloody nightmare when the big boiler's bust and no one on the street can have a bath...

It does have its problems

These poor people were basically getting boiled alive when a hot water main burst below their bus.

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 16:03 - Oct 17 with 3995 viewsPinewoodblue

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 14:38 - Oct 17 by No9

That only works for computers

Someone needs to tell Phil and Gav. They still try it with posters but it never solves anything.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

sorry if this is not too daft an answer on 16:26 - Oct 17 with 3972 viewsGrief

but is your thermostat, high enough, wack it up to 30 or something see if that cuts in.

it maybe your house is too warm for the thermostat
Heating/boiler engineer help. on 17:28 - Oct 17 with 3917 viewsyoda

It could be your motorised valve.The Programmer calls for heat which feeds the room stat, which in turn feeds the valve,the valve then opens asking the boiler and pump to work.
Heating/boiler engineer help. on 17:58 - Oct 17 with 3890 viewsEdwardStone

Assuming you have a combi boiler the problem is almost always a lack of pressure in the Central Heating system if you have hot water but radiators not working

There is a small pressure gauge somewhere on your boiler. It should read between 1 bar and 1.5 bar (depending on make/model) Sometimes there is a red pointer showing where the black needle should be pointing

To "pump up" your boiler, you need to use the filling loop. This might still be fitted to your boiler or might be separate, it is a silver-coloured braided hose with a connector on each end. Sometimes it has a tap on it, sometimes the tap is built on to the boiler

Locate said filling loop, connect to the appropriate connectors underneath the boiler and then turn the relevant tap on until the black needle rises up to 1 bar on the gauge. You will here the water rushing in

DO NOT OVERFILL beyond the required pressure

Heating should now work. You might have to bleed the radiators in order to expel air so that they work to their full potential

In case of severe difficulty please feel free to consult boiler instruction book

Turn of tap
Heating/boiler engineer help. on 18:22 - Oct 17 with 3870 viewsGeoffSentence

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 17:58 - Oct 17 by EdwardStone

Assuming you have a combi boiler the problem is almost always a lack of pressure in the Central Heating system if you have hot water but radiators not working

There is a small pressure gauge somewhere on your boiler. It should read between 1 bar and 1.5 bar (depending on make/model) Sometimes there is a red pointer showing where the black needle should be pointing

To "pump up" your boiler, you need to use the filling loop. This might still be fitted to your boiler or might be separate, it is a silver-coloured braided hose with a connector on each end. Sometimes it has a tap on it, sometimes the tap is built on to the boiler

Locate said filling loop, connect to the appropriate connectors underneath the boiler and then turn the relevant tap on until the black needle rises up to 1 bar on the gauge. You will here the water rushing in

Heating should now work. You might have to bleed the radiators in order to expel air so that they work to their full potential

In case of severe difficulty please feel free to consult boiler instruction book

Turn of tap

What happens if you do go over the target pressure?

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 19:09 - Oct 17 with 3832 viewsjeera

Whatever it is, I can tell you in advance that Swansea will not be able to help.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 19:41 - Oct 17 with 3814 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 17:58 - Oct 17 by EdwardStone

Turn of tap

Sounds the most plausible reason. Many thanks.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 19:55 - Oct 17 with 3801 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 18:22 - Oct 17 by GeoffSentence

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 19:57 - Oct 17 with 3798 viewsGeoffSentence

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 19:55 - Oct 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

ooh. flip. that's quite bad.

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 20:00 - Oct 17 with 3795 viewsColin_Viljoen

Think you need to say if you have a combi boiler or not. If a combi & it has low pressure I don't think the boiler will work at all. Therefore, L'm with Yoda in suggesting the motorised valve, the valve diverts the heat to the hot water (as this has priority) when the demand has been met, the valve switches to allow heating demand. The electric part of the valve often fails & this can be changed simply without diconnecting or draining down anything.
Heating/boiler engineer help. on 20:28 - Oct 17 with 3771 viewsEdwardStone

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 18:22 - Oct 17 by GeoffSentence

Best not to overfill by exercising a delicate touch when filling

But if you do need to relieve some pressure then just open one of the drain taps on a nearby radiator....or maybe open one of the bleed offs for a bit until correct pressure is achieved. Have a towel/rag/hanky to hand to catch the jet of water
Heating/boiler engineer help. on 20:33 - Oct 17 with 3765 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 20:28 - Oct 17 by EdwardStone

Best not to overfill by exercising a delicate touch when filling

But if you do need to relieve some pressure then just open one of the drain taps on a nearby radiator....or maybe open one of the bleed offs for a bit until correct pressure is achieved. Have a towel/rag/hanky to hand to catch the jet of water

That's not a lot of use after a nuclear explosion!

.....and it's the (sticky)valve imho.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 20:58 - Oct 17 with 3737 viewsEdwardStone

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 20:33 - Oct 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

That's not a lot of use after a nuclear explosion!

.....and it's the (sticky)valve imho.

It might be advisable to look at the pressure gauge first before thumping things with a hammer

If the pressure gauge is reading below 1 bar then any amount of thumping will not restore the heating

But adding pressure will

If the gauge is reading the correct amount then there is no need to add pressure and so the problem lies elsewhere

I'm not sure that I would hit anything too hard....maybe best to call in a qualified Gas safe engineer (fka Corgi)
Heating/boiler engineer help. on 21:31 - Oct 17 with 3708 viewsPinewoodblue

Heating/boiler engineer help. on 14:42 - Oct 17 by No9

As an example - Russia

There are lots of District heating schemes in London from authority housing in Tower Hamlets to modern private apartment blocks. There are drawbacks, you are tied to a supplier and might not get the best deal

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024