Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? 09:47 - Oct 18 with 4796 viewsStokieBlue

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/waitrose-gentlemans-roll-sexist-sandwic

It's certainly nothing like the advertising I saw the other month in Australia which declared new McCains ready meals now available in "mansize".

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 09:54 - Oct 18 with 2494 viewschicoazul

More like Amy Lame, amIrite

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 09:58 - Oct 18 with 2489 viewsPendejo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45899784

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:00 - Oct 18 with 2485 viewsjjblue84

If only there was an objective definition of ‘sexism’ then we’d easily be able to work it out ourselves!! In the absence of that we’ll have to be shouted down by whatever opinion is fashionable at the moment....
on 10:01 - Oct 18 with 2478 views_

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:01 - Oct 18 with 2481 viewschicoazul

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 09:58 - Oct 18 by Pendejo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45899784

Ah, the old "my child said" way to attract attention and likes.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:02 - Oct 18 with 2474 viewschicoazul

on 10:01 - Oct 18 by _

This implies women who shop at Waitrose are stupid enough to be "potentially isolated" by a sandwich name.

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:04 - Oct 18 with 2466 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

on 10:05 - Oct 18 with 2456 views_

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:02 - Oct 18 by chicoazul

This implies women who shop at Waitrose are stupid enough to be "potentially isolated" by a sandwich name.

Login to get fewer ads

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:05 - Oct 18 with 2460 viewschicoazul

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:04 - Oct 18 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:06 - Oct 18 with 2454 viewsSwansea_Blue

I can't say that I've ever had "Gentleman’s Relish" in a sandwich. Not knowingly anyway

Sexist, nah. Stupid name, yep!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:10 - Oct 18 with 2435 viewschicoazul

on 10:05 - Oct 18 by _

Since the vast majority of Waitrose's customers are women maybe Waitrose didn't intend for that to be the case. Or maybe they knew some dry lunch was bound to post something like this about the thing eventually and give them loads of free publicity, who knows.

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:11 - Oct 18 with 2432 viewsStokieBlue

I guess they just wanted to play on the fact that it had gentleman's relish in the sandwich.

I'm not entirely sure it's sexist, I don't feel that I can't eat ladyfinger biscuits because they have the word lady in them.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

on 10:15 - Oct 18 with 2416 views_

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:11 - Oct 18 by StokieBlue

I guess they just wanted to play on the fact that it had gentleman's relish in the sandwich.

I'm not entirely sure it's sexist, I don't feel that I can't eat ladyfinger biscuits because they have the word lady in them.

SB

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:16 - Oct 18 with 2418 viewsGeoffSentence

on 10:05 - Oct 18 by _

no it implies that the roll contains Gentleman's Relish. OK that might be sexist enough in its own right, but was so named 200 years ago when sexism didnt exist.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:18 - Oct 18 with 2410 viewsdryas

It's unnecessary.
on 10:21 - Oct 18 with 2399 views_

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:16 - Oct 18 by GeoffSentence

no it implies that the roll contains Gentleman's Relish. OK that might be sexist enough in its own right, but was so named 200 years ago when sexism didnt exist.

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:29 - Oct 18 with 2379 viewsGeoffSentence

on 10:21 - Oct 18 by _

Lets take this outside fella. You and me, man to man. Arm yourself with whatever sandwich based weapon you fancy, and I'll take you on. Your baguette against my bun, I'd still win.

I'm not one of the argumentative type Libby and wasn't trying to wind you up, just pointing out that was why it was named so.

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:30 - Oct 18 with 2375 viewsupthewallpaul

It's called targeted marketing. If everything had to appeal to everyone they would just sell one type of sandwich.

If you are triggered by the word gentleman or man you just select a different flavour and they make the sale anyway so not really isolating anyone. Same applies with Kleenex.
on 10:34 - Oct 18 with 2360 views_

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:29 - Oct 18 by GeoffSentence

Lets take this outside fella. You and me, man to man. Arm yourself with whatever sandwich based weapon you fancy, and I'll take you on. Your baguette against my bun, I'd still win.

I'm not one of the argumentative type Libby and wasn't trying to wind you up, just pointing out that was why it was named so.

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:35 - Oct 18 with 2360 viewsfooters

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:11 - Oct 18 by StokieBlue

SB

It would be helpful for ladies' fingers tho as they are disgusting slimy things. The lasses can keep them.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:36 - Oct 18 with 2357 viewsupthewallpaul

Surely these guys are the worst perpetrators. No place for this in modern Britain!

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:38 - Oct 18 with 2343 viewscaught-in-limbo

Don't fall into the trap of falling into a yes/no answer.

The correct answer is:

This sort of argument/debate is just pathetic. It's all about identity politics and the stuff of an empire in decline.

It's all truly rubbish and should just be ignored.

What good can a debate on this possibly do?
[Post edited 18 Oct 2018 10:44]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:39 - Oct 18 with 2333 viewsRyorry

All that would matter to me is that it's heavily processed junk food that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole anyway -

"Ingredients
Chicken kiev (36%) (chicken, wheat flour, soy protein, water, butter (2%), canola oil, garlic (0.5%), thickeners (1404, 1422, 1450), salt, soy flour, yeast, spices, wheat gluten, colours (100, 160c), herb, vegetable gum (412), maltodextrin, wheat starch, hydrolysed vegetable protein (soy), vegetable extract), potato (potato, canola oil), sauce (water, cream, thickener (1422), milk powder, flavour (salt, sugar, yeast extract, flavour, vegetable oil, wheat starch, spice, herb), parmesan cheese, salt), carrots, peas, corn kernels.

Vegetables (50%)**

**3 serves of vegetables per meal based on the Australian Guide to Healthy Eating (1 serve of vegetables equals 75g or ½ cup of cooked vegetables).

Allergy Information
CONTAINS GLUTEN CONTAINING CEREALS, MILK AND SOY.
Made in a facility that also processes products with crustacea, egg, fish, tree nuts, sesame, peanuts and sulphites."

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:40 - Oct 18 with 2322 viewsGeoffSentence

on 10:34 - Oct 18 by _

Good Choice.

Fun fact of the day. Ciabatta was invented in 1982 by Italian bakers who were concerned that they were losing out on sandwich sales to French Baguettes.

Ciabatta was designed as a baguette exterminator, not much will beat that.

on 10:41 - Oct 18 with 2316 views_

Do the TWTD hive mind think this is sexist? on 10:39 - Oct 18 by Ryorry

All that would matter to me is that it's heavily processed junk food that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole anyway -

"Ingredients
Chicken kiev (36%) (chicken, wheat flour, soy protein, water, butter (2%), canola oil, garlic (0.5%), thickeners (1404, 1422, 1450), salt, soy flour, yeast, spices, wheat gluten, colours (100, 160c), herb, vegetable gum (412), maltodextrin, wheat starch, hydrolysed vegetable protein (soy), vegetable extract), potato (potato, canola oil), sauce (water, cream, thickener (1422), milk powder, flavour (salt, sugar, yeast extract, flavour, vegetable oil, wheat starch, spice, herb), parmesan cheese, salt), carrots, peas, corn kernels.

Vegetables (50%)**

**3 serves of vegetables per meal based on the Australian Guide to Healthy Eating (1 serve of vegetables equals 75g or ½ cup of cooked vegetables).

Allergy Information
CONTAINS GLUTEN CONTAINING CEREALS, MILK AND SOY.
Made in a facility that also processes products with crustacea, egg, fish, tree nuts, sesame, peanuts and sulphites."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024