Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
brexit 10:06 - Oct 18 with 8188 viewsburian

I am an old man and voted to Remain as my life style etc suited me. I did not want change. However, having seen the EU negotiators at work I have changed my mind and am an ardent Brexiteer. Everything points to the fact that Mrs May is a poor negotiator giving way on most matters and is being walked over by Barnier. If we decided to stay in the EU what would the cost be to us?The EU are only interested in our money and as for the scare stories about visas to visit France or Spain and international driving licences - doesn`t this work both ways?.I was thinking of the vast number of foreign hgv`s that visit us daily
on 10:08 - Oct 18 with 5196 views_

brexit on 10:14 - Oct 18 with 5184 viewsSwansea_Blue

I look at it somewhat differently. When I see our politicians being completely inept, I see it more as a problem with them and not something to blame the EU for, who are just doing their job of representing their members.

Visas? Who knows. It's likely we will have a broad range of arrangements with different countries, as we do now. We'll have to get that all sorted out on a case by case basis. There'll be significant lobbying to ensure it's not needed as, yes, it would be a nightmare to officiate all that for the regular traffic bringing goods into the country.

But it's our bed, we made it and need to learn to lie in it and not blame others. imo.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

brexit on 10:17 - Oct 18 with 5176 viewsartsbossbeard

on 10:08 - Oct 18 by _

I have a mate who works at Felixstowe docks, you know one of the main UK ports for importing goods from overseas, and where he's in a job which is reliant on overseas trade.

He voted Brexit.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

brexit on 10:18 - Oct 18 with 5169 viewsGuthrum

But what, actually, does Theresa May have to work with, what leverage is there?

If the UK "stands firm", the EU can just turn around and tell us to get stuffed. It'll hurt them a bit, but us much more so. In addition, the ground is constantly shifting, as different interest groups (both within the UK and among the EU27) apply pressure to our negotiating position. Her own party does not have a consensus on what Brexit should look like, let alone Parliament or the country as a whole.

And those foreign HGVs are carrying goods for our shops and industries.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

on 10:22 - Oct 18 with 5146 views_

brexit on 10:17 - Oct 18 by artsbossbeard

I have a mate who works at Felixstowe docks, you know one of the main UK ports for importing goods from overseas, and where he's in a job which is reliant on overseas trade.

He voted Brexit.

brexit on 10:22 - Oct 18 with 5154 viewsBasuco

I heard on the radio about the EU doing a deal with Canada over supplying a product, can't remember what, and part of that deal had a clause that said the EU must have 75% of the total market, previously the US had a large share of that market, but is now only allowed to export a small amount of these goods to Canada. I wondered how many of these type of deals are in place around the World which will prevent us making our own trade deals with other Countries?
brexit on 10:25 - Oct 18 with 5142 viewsPendejo

brexit on 10:18 - Oct 18 by Guthrum

But what, actually, does Theresa May have to work with, what leverage is there?

If the UK "stands firm", the EU can just turn around and tell us to get stuffed. It'll hurt them a bit, but us much more so. In addition, the ground is constantly shifting, as different interest groups (both within the UK and among the EU27) apply pressure to our negotiating position. Her own party does not have a consensus on what Brexit should look like, let alone Parliament or the country as a whole.

And those foreign HGVs are carrying goods for our shops and industries.

Gman

"And those foreign HGVs are carrying goods for our shops and industries."
Which they need to sell to us, all part of money making the world go around.

Anything other than a simple online solution for visas and driving licences would show any of the parties involved to be pathetic and childish.

All economic arguments go both ways, and if people want to be petty they will be. The EU machinery is working hard to dissuade anyone else following us thru the exit door, so it is not in their interest to let us go easily and without pain.

For the little man [ok short & fat one] its all very scary, but then I thought the financial world was clued up enough for 2008s problems not to happen...

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

brexit on 10:29 - Oct 18 with 5118 viewsDarth_Koont

brexit on 10:14 - Oct 18 by Swansea_Blue

I look at it somewhat differently. When I see our politicians being completely inept, I see it more as a problem with them and not something to blame the EU for, who are just doing their job of representing their members.

Visas? Who knows. It's likely we will have a broad range of arrangements with different countries, as we do now. We'll have to get that all sorted out on a case by case basis. There'll be significant lobbying to ensure it's not needed as, yes, it would be a nightmare to officiate all that for the regular traffic bringing goods into the country.

But it's our bed, we made it and need to learn to lie in it and not blame others. imo.

Agree 100%.

The EU are also representing the integrity of their market and the interests of Ireland, the member most affected by our decision.

That penny still hasn't dropped for many (including it seems our own top-class Brexit team) that this is the very job and purpose of the EU. Just because our own politicians are willing to throw out their principles and responsibilities for the sake of a deal that suits them politically and career-wise is neither here nor there.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

brexit on 10:34 - Oct 18 with 5104 viewsGuthrum

brexit on 10:25 - Oct 18 by Pendejo

Gman

"And those foreign HGVs are carrying goods for our shops and industries."
Which they need to sell to us, all part of money making the world go around.

Anything other than a simple online solution for visas and driving licences would show any of the parties involved to be pathetic and childish.

All economic arguments go both ways, and if people want to be petty they will be. The EU machinery is working hard to dissuade anyone else following us thru the exit door, so it is not in their interest to let us go easily and without pain.

For the little man [ok short & fat one] its all very scary, but then I thought the financial world was clued up enough for 2008s problems not to happen...

There's a lot of petty childishness around this situation, from those in the EU seeking to "punish" Britain for wanting to leave (they do exist), to the ones in this country throwing toys out of the pram because they're not getting exactly the kind of Brexit they wanted.

Without some degree of compromise we're going to hit deadline day with nothing in place for afterwards. Which will be a shambles and bad for everyone.

brexit on 10:49 - Oct 18 with 5057 viewsParmigiano

Why should the EU offer us any dispensation? 'We' decided to leave a club before our agreed contract was up, meaning we should pay what we'd previously signed up for.

The simple fact is we need them more than they need us so why on earth would they negotiatie? What's in it for them?
brexit on 10:58 - Oct 18 with 5043 viewsPendejo

brexit on 10:34 - Oct 18 by Guthrum

There's a lot of petty childishness around this situation, from those in the EU seeking to "punish" Britain for wanting to leave (they do exist), to the ones in this country throwing toys out of the pram because they're not getting exactly the kind of Brexit they wanted.

Without some degree of compromise we're going to hit deadline day with nothing in place for afterwards. Which will be a shambles and bad for everyone.

It's simple...

We invade France and annex the west coast, once that is stabilized we'll branch out across Europe and call say it is our need for living room.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

brexit on 11:01 - Oct 18 with 5036 viewsFreddies_Ears

We are the ones leaving. We should have thought about all of the OP's issues, plus a few thousand more, before voting, and at least before invoking Art 50.

EU are acting consistently and professionally.
brexit on 11:03 - Oct 18 with 5024 viewsartsbossbeard

brexit on 10:58 - Oct 18 by Pendejo

It's simple...

We invade France and annex the west coast, once that is stabilized we'll branch out across Europe and call say it is our need for living room.

Cor! League away games in Monaco and Nice and the downfall of Greggs.

Where do I sign?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

brexit on 11:09 - Oct 18 with 5004 viewsGuthrum

It's simple...

The Treaty of Bretigny seems a good place to start!

brexit on 11:24 - Oct 18 with 4975 viewsgordon

It's not so much the fact that she's a poor negotiator (although I'm sure she is), as that either as a country, a parliament, a political party, or a government we are yet to decide on what it is we want her to negotiate. That's proven to be something of a handicap!
brexit on 12:01 - Oct 18 with 4905 viewsfactual_blue

It's simple...

Most of the west coast is ours by right.

Ham was seceded to the English crown by the Treaty of Bretigny. And look where that's led us.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

brexit on 12:03 - Oct 18 with 4895 viewsPJH

brexit on 12:01 - Oct 18 by factual_blue

Most of the west coast is ours by right.

Ham was seceded to the English crown by the Treaty of Bretigny. And look where that's led us.

Phil belongs to The Queen?
brexit on 12:29 - Oct 18 with 4831 viewsfactual_blue

brexit on 12:03 - Oct 18 by PJH

Phil belongs to The Queen?

Interesting nickname for Gav there.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

brexit on 13:28 - Oct 18 with 4756 viewsVic

brexit on 10:17 - Oct 18 by artsbossbeard

He voted Brexit.

I missed the bit where it said that if we exit the EU we wont be importing things any more. Enlighten me ABB.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

brexit on 13:30 - Oct 18 with 4751 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Its a pity that when people voted for Brexit they didnt actually stop and consider who of note we had that could go to Brussels deliver the deal they wanted.

All very predictable.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

brexit on 14:39 - Oct 18 with 4678 viewsjonbull88

brexit on 13:30 - Oct 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

Its a pity that when people voted for Brexit they didnt actually stop and consider who of note we had that could go to Brussels deliver the deal they wanted.

All very predictable.

I think also it’s a pity that people who voted brexit didn’t stop to look at the hundreds of different outcomes people wanted.

Brexit is like politics in general, not everyone is going to be happy with everything all the time. I voted remain, why? Because being a farmer we firstly export a lot to the EU, it was frictionless and easy. Secondly we rely on migrant labour from Poland etc to pick our fruit and veg, there is overwhelming proof they have already stopped coming.

So all in all my brexit will be different to someone else’s, we just need to stop bl**dy fighting over this and that and get the best deal we can.
brexit on 14:53 - Oct 18 with 4644 viewsBurwell_Blue

I tend to not believe I read in the paper/online or watch on the TV. That way, I am not easily led.

I would much rather wait until its all signed sealed and delivered and then see if it suits me.
brexit on 15:00 - Oct 18 with 4622 viewsPinewoodblue

brexit on 13:30 - Oct 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

All very predictable.

While personally in favour of Brexit I voted remain simply because I doubted we had the expertise to pull it off without bloodshed.

All i want now is for the government to get on with it and leave. It is going to be difficult the French, for example, are very good at being bloody-minded and they will put all sorts of barriers in the way of trade, especially farm produce. Wouldn't be surprised if they banned meat imports from UK in the next 7-10 days using the case of BSE reported today in Aberdeenshire as an excuse.

They will cause all sorts of delays at Channel Ports wouldn't be surprised to see cross channel traffic going to Zeebrugge, Rotterdam or Hook of Holland. Simple things like cheeking each car has the right equipment, documents etc required by French law.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

brexit on 15:11 - Oct 18 with 4597 viewsThrobbe

on 10:22 - Oct 18 by _

My best friends father, now retired, was a financial director for a number of household names (sorry, not going to reveal as it would fairly easily 'out' him).

He believes that the next logical step will be to reverse decimalisation, including currency.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

brexit on 15:11 - Oct 18 with 4598 viewsgosblue

The biggest problem is that half the country hope she fails and the other half hope she fails. Then we can all say I told you so. ‘I told you we should have stayed in’ or ‘I told you the Europeans are a bad lot’. From day one, May has been fighting battles on two fronts with little or no support from anyone. I’ve said it before, I was a staunch remainer but like the OP I now can’t wait to get out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024