Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How bad are we? 21:00 - Oct 20 with 5389 viewsKev_W

Trying to find a benchmark to work out how poor a side we are? I cannot remember a worse Town side since I started watching in the 80s. i recall a few teams habitually struggling in this league - Bury, Rotherham, Swindon spring to mind. There were sides like Yeovil struggling to adapt to the level. This seems to be the standard we have been taken to by Hurst. If were in League One I would guess we would be mid table at best.

How bad are we? on 20:08 - Oct 21 with 948 viewsbackwaywhen

How bad are we? on 21:15 - Oct 20 by AnewHop

As a side we’re not close to the shambles we became under PJ or RK, which is probably why we’ve not been battered by anyone yet. There’s some fight and desire, we’re playing to a system.

Yet we’re miles off the farking pace, not even close to what’s required at this level. The players are simply not good enough for this level, today was a total embarrassment.

Playing to a system ....please enlighten us ?
How bad are we? on 20:09 - Oct 21 with 944 viewsPJH

How bad are we? on 20:08 - Oct 21 by backwaywhen

Playing to a system ....please enlighten us ?

I think it is called the how to get relegated system.
How bad are we? on 20:18 - Oct 21 with 928 viewsjeera

How bad are we? on 20:09 - Oct 21 by PJH

I think it is called the how to get relegated system.

Or cistern.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

How bad are we? on 20:24 - Oct 21 with 923 viewsSteve_M

How bad are we? on 19:58 - Oct 21 by OldTimer2

Actually the spirit of renewed optimism at the start of the season meant that I started going regularly again after quite a break. Possibly not quite what i was hoping for. Had been in the ' give him longer camp' but yesterday was so bad that getting harder to see how it changes. Only consolation is that we are not adrift and there are plenty of other terrible teams in this division.

And that's the biggest shame this season, I want to go to PR and have it like for the Norwich game or as it was back in 2014-15. Town fans are desperate to have a positive team to get behind and Hurst had wasted the opportunity that gave him.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

How bad are we? on 20:31 - Oct 21 with 896 viewsStNeotsBlue

How bad are we? on 20:24 - Oct 21 by Steve_M

And that's the biggest shame this season, I want to go to PR and have it like for the Norwich game or as it was back in 2014-15. Town fans are desperate to have a positive team to get behind and Hurst had wasted the opportunity that gave him.

Pretty much this. A couple of mates of mine were in the QPR end yesterday, got a call after the game they described us as the worst Championship side they'd seen. Couldn't think of too many counter arguements.
How bad are we? on 20:36 - Oct 21 with 889 viewsOldTimer2

How bad are we? on 20:24 - Oct 21 by Steve_M

Yes, that is the shame of it all. Think everyone really wanted this to work, but possibly we should have looked a little closer at how he had achieved success. Shrewsbury did not score a lot of goals last season

Bobby Robson - thank you

How bad are we? on 20:37 - Oct 21 with 885 viewsOldTimer2

How bad are we? on 20:31 - Oct 21 by StNeotsBlue

Pretty much this. A couple of mates of mine were in the QPR end yesterday, got a call after the game they described us as the worst Championship side they'd seen. Couldn't think of too many counter arguements.

Was on a train back full of QPR fans and they were saying much the same - pretty hard to disagree.

Bobby Robson - thank you

How bad are we? on 20:51 - Oct 21 with 874 viewsSteve_M

How bad are we? on 20:36 - Oct 21 by OldTimer2

Yes, that is the shame of it all. Think everyone really wanted this to work, but possibly we should have looked a little closer at how he had achieved success. Shrewsbury did not score a lot of goals last season

They didn't concede a great deal though and played very effectively to a system. That level of cohesion and purpose would at least make it look like Hurst knew what he doing. We have a bottom third budget so that imposes some limitations on style and ability; it shouldn't have lead to this.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

How bad are we? on 21:03 - Oct 21 with 866 viewsOldTimer2

How bad are we? on 20:51 - Oct 21 by Steve_M

They didn't concede a great deal though and played very effectively to a system. That level of cohesion and purpose would at least make it look like Hurst knew what he doing. We have a bottom third budget so that imposes some limitations on style and ability; it shouldn't have lead to this.

Yes, it is odd that he has not been able to get a working system. Too much change part of it, though some of it was forced on him by players wanting to go. also think possible that the Braintree game came as a bit of a shock and made him think the players were not as good as he had believed and so had to make more changes, reinforced by the Exeter performance.

The recruitment is increasingly looking poor though, Jackson, Edwards, Donacien look okay but Nolan, Nsiala, Harrison don't look the part. Pennington & Chalobah are good but Graham is increasingly looking like a desperate gamble and hard to see why Edun is not in the picture, as thought he looked fairly bright.

We do now seem to be back to where we were, trying to get players to fit a system. It is where he does need someone with experience who can tell him to think again about some things, especially the system at home. 0 goals in the last 3 home games ought to tell him something

Bobby Robson - thank you

How bad are we? on 22:44 - Oct 21 with 822 viewsKev_W

How bad are we? on 21:03 - Oct 21 by OldTimer2

Yes, it is odd that he has not been able to get a working system. Too much change part of it, though some of it was forced on him by players wanting to go. also think possible that the Braintree game came as a bit of a shock and made him think the players were not as good as he had believed and so had to make more changes, reinforced by the Exeter performance.

The recruitment is increasingly looking poor though, Jackson, Edwards, Donacien look okay but Nolan, Nsiala, Harrison don't look the part. Pennington & Chalobah are good but Graham is increasingly looking like a desperate gamble and hard to see why Edun is not in the picture, as thought he looked fairly bright.

We do now seem to be back to where we were, trying to get players to fit a system. It is where he does need someone with experience who can tell him to think again about some things, especially the system at home. 0 goals in the last 3 home games ought to tell him something

Agree with you summary of Hurst's signings. When you take into account the players who left or were sold it must rank as one of the least competent sequences of transfer activity by a League club. It is hard to know what is worse the scale of misjudgements by Hurst or the lack of any obvious brake on the degree of change by Evans.

Evans needs to accept that the change of manager has gone horribly wrong. Yesterday surely provided confirmation that there can be no survival without a managerial change. The problem now will be to find someone with ability to take on an under strength squad and able to make them competitive.
How bad are we? on 22:53 - Oct 21 with 811 viewsOldTimer2

How bad are we? on 22:44 - Oct 21 by Kev_W

Agree with you summary of Hurst's signings. When you take into account the players who left or were sold it must rank as one of the least competent sequences of transfer activity by a League club. It is hard to know what is worse the scale of misjudgements by Hurst or the lack of any obvious brake on the degree of change by Evans.

Evans needs to accept that the change of manager has gone horribly wrong. Yesterday surely provided confirmation that there can be no survival without a managerial change. The problem now will be to find someone with ability to take on an under strength squad and able to make them competitive.

Suspect the temptation will be to go for an 'old hand' to stave off the threat of relegation, rather than go for a younger version which will not solve the longer term issues.
Someone made a good point elsewhere about scouting and the fact that the best bargains may now be in Europe rather than League 1/2.
Mind you having spent 3 years living in Hull then they have probably 3 consecutive seasons of incredibly bad transfer business.

Bobby Robson - thank you

How bad are we? on 00:23 - Oct 22 with 782 viewspointofblue

The annoying this is, statsically, at the first international break the stats were showing, in terms of shots on target and shots against, that we were a midtable team not getting the breaks - we were having a decent number of chances and not scoring whilst conceding an abnormal number of chances compared to what was being created.

So what the hell happened in the first international break to make us crumble? And how did the coaching team contrive to make this even worse after the second break of the season?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024