Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How bad are we? 21:00 - Oct 20 with 5387 viewsKev_W

Trying to find a benchmark to work out how poor a side we are? I cannot remember a worse Town side since I started watching in the 80s. i recall a few teams habitually struggling in this league - Bury, Rotherham, Swindon spring to mind. There were sides like Yeovil struggling to adapt to the level. This seems to be the standard we have been taken to by Hurst. If were in League One I would guess we would be mid table at best.

How bad are we? on 21:03 - Oct 20 with 4394 viewsWD19

Claus Thomson would get a game in this side.....put it that way.
How bad are we? on 21:04 - Oct 20 with 4398 viewsCuffy81

My mate described it as like watching a badly organised MM team with terrible set pieces and players played out of position.

Mid table league one is a fair assessment
How bad are we? on 21:07 - Oct 20 with 4372 viewsEastTownBlue

We certainly don't look like competing at Championship level.

The Swansea victory, at present, appears to be an equivalent of a lower league shock FA Cup win.
How bad are we? on 21:07 - Oct 20 with 4364 viewsMullet

Think if Hull was Jewell levels, we've hovered around that all season and Swansea now slides into West Ham/Barnsley territory.

I'd say we're on par with that for sure, and possibly sliding towards Milburn levels if this continues.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

How bad are we? on 21:09 - Oct 20 with 4344 viewsMoisha

In all the years I’ve followed Town, 1976, this is as bad as it has ever been for me.
We’re not sleep walking to League 1, we are diving in head first.
How bad are we? on 21:12 - Oct 20 with 4324 viewsDeano69

Mid League One bad.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

How bad are we? on 21:13 - Oct 20 with 4315 viewsIllinoisblue

Depressing reality that we’re not even as good as Burton Albion’s recent championship efforts

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

How bad are we? on 21:15 - Oct 20 with 4298 viewsAnewHop

How bad are we? on 21:07 - Oct 20 by Mullet

Think if Hull was Jewell levels, we've hovered around that all season and Swansea now slides into West Ham/Barnsley territory.

I'd say we're on par with that for sure, and possibly sliding towards Milburn levels if this continues.

As a side we’re not close to the shambles we became under PJ or RK, which is probably why we’ve not been battered by anyone yet. There’s some fight and desire, we’re playing to a system.

Yet we’re miles off the farking pace, not even close to what’s required at this level. The players are simply not good enough for this level, today was a total embarrassment.
Login to get fewer ads

How bad are we? on 21:17 - Oct 20 with 4260 viewsMullet

How bad are we? on 21:15 - Oct 20 by AnewHop

As a side we’re not close to the shambles we became under PJ or RK, which is probably why we’ve not been battered by anyone yet. There’s some fight and desire, we’re playing to a system.

Yet we’re miles off the farking pace, not even close to what’s required at this level. The players are simply not good enough for this level, today was a total embarrassment.

Players out of position every game, baffling subs, constant changes, more loanees than we can play, a manager saying one thing and doing another, money spent on players who can't improve or get in the side....... nothing like prior Evans appointments at all?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

How bad are we? on 21:19 - Oct 20 with 4247 viewsgordon

Players are just not good enough. That's the main issue.

If we played our best goalkeeper and the best defence and worked really, really hard on set-pieces, get a physical presence in up front in January, and send back the loanees apart from Pennington, and get some of ours back, we might have a chance, but still think we'd fall short.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2018 21:20]
How bad are we? on 21:20 - Oct 20 with 4239 viewsDeano69

We have a much worse team and squad than those days. Even if it is decided that Hurst has to go, what the hell is a replacement going to do with our League 1 squad.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

How bad are we? on 21:21 - Oct 20 with 4223 viewsKev_W

We aren't getting heavy defeats yet but these will come as confidence ebbs away. The PJ and RK sides had a core of good Championship players. The current side do not. They work hard but don't have a viable formation or attacking players to win games. Overall, whilst we may have a more honest, likeable bunch of players, collectively they are as bad as we have ever had.
How bad are we? on 21:54 - Oct 20 with 4071 viewsBlueyandCrazy

How bad are we? on 21:03 - Oct 20 by WD19

Claus Thomson would get a game in this side.....put it that way.

Very harsh, and not a good example. Claus Thomsen was one of the few bright lights and probably player of the season in the side relegate from the premier league in 95. He was a regular from Denmark and Everton bought him once we went down. So he would waltz into this town team and many better town teams. There mush be a 100 better examples to use for your analogy.

PS one of the few highlights of that dreadful 94/95 season was our backs to the wall performance away to Newcastle, with the geordies baying for blood, Andy Cole finally broke the deadlock in the last 10 ( in what I believe was to be his last game for them) only for Claus to make a solo injury time dribble and finish all the way from the half way line 1-1!

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

How bad are we? on 13:13 - Oct 21 with 3802 viewsOldTimer2

What I find really worrying is that Hurst does not seem to learn from mistakes. No goals in the last 3 home games should be telling him that the system does not work and needs to be changed and that we need more goal threat.

Others have made the point that the shuffling around of the defence makes no sense, has reduced our attacking threat. Donacien at left back might have worked in League 2 but playing a right footed left back is far less likely to work at this level. At RB he did look to get beyond Edwards and we looked more dangerous down that flank as a result. Pennington is a significantly better bet at CB than Nsiala and that needs to change.

Dozzell is not a no 10 and will do better work playing further back, if anyone should be pushed forward it is Chalobah who at least was trying to make things happen. Still think that we would be better with Edun on the left as he looked to be able to make things happen.

Remained fairly optimistic until yesterday but hard to see how this gets turned round.

Bobby Robson - thank you

How bad are we? on 13:24 - Oct 21 with 3784 viewsAce_High1

We are a 90's version of Crewe, selling our best young players and getting worse each year until we only go one way.
How bad are we? on 14:19 - Oct 21 with 3705 viewsOldsmoker

13 games.
124 shots
30 shots on target
11 goals.

In the last 5 games
35 shots (8 against Swansea)
10 shots on target (3 against Swansea)
5 goals (3 against Swansea)

So on average, 9 shots, 2 shots on target and 1 goal per game.
Our players don't shoot often or accurately enough.
Against QPR it was 3 shots, 1 on target, no goals.

Whatever benchmark you're looking for those stats don't even make the bench as they're so poor.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

How bad are we? on 18:06 - Oct 21 with 3577 viewsGeoffSentence

Terribly, terribly bad indeed

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

How bad are we? on 18:51 - Oct 21 with 3520 viewsSwansea_Blue

There's a benchmark the League use to work out how good or bad teams are. It's here https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=championship+table&oq=championship+table&aqs=c

Luckily, it only has consequences after everyone had played everyone else home and away. But I reckon it's a fairly good indication of how good we've been so far.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How bad are we? on 19:06 - Oct 21 with 3479 viewsBeattie78

How bad are we? on 14:19 - Oct 21 by Oldsmoker

13 games.
124 shots
30 shots on target
11 goals.

In the last 5 games
35 shots (8 against Swansea)
10 shots on target (3 against Swansea)
5 goals (3 against Swansea)

So on average, 9 shots, 2 shots on target and 1 goal per game.
Our players don't shoot often or accurately enough.
Against QPR it was 3 shots, 1 on target, no goals.

Whatever benchmark you're looking for those stats don't even make the bench as they're so poor.

How often did we get into a position to have a shot? When someone found space out wide to put in a cross there was just one in the box, at most

LexdenBlue62

on 19:07 - Oct 21 with 3472 views_

on 19:08 - Oct 21 with 3466 views_

How bad are we? on 13:24 - Oct 21 by Ace_High1

We are a 90's version of Crewe, selling our best young players and getting worse each year until we only go one way.

How bad are we? on 19:13 - Oct 21 with 3454 viewsSteve_M

The Swindon team of 1994-95 sliding thorough this division after relegation from the Premier and Norwich 08-09 spring to mind. It's the general hopeless ineptitude that resonates. We've looked in trouble since 20 minutes into the opening match when Blackburn equalised and rarely shown any hint that we are better than the league table suggests (odd twenty minute spells of looking pretty but ineffective really aren't enough).

Hurst is out of his depth and needs to be relieved of his job immediately if we are to have any chance of staying up, he should have gone a month ago in my opinion, after Bolton and before he managed to fluke a win.

Ultimately though this is on Evans and eleven years of inept ownership of the club. We're left with an inadequate team, a disillusioned, largely apathetic fanbase and a crumbling ground. We should enjoy the Champie this season, we might not be back for a while.

P.S. It's good to see you and Old Timer back on here even if it's the shear awfulness that's brought you both back.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2018 20:18]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

on 19:14 - Oct 21 with 3445 views_

How bad are we? on 19:13 - Oct 21 by Steve_M

The Swindon team of 1994-95 sliding thorough this division after relegation from the Premier and Norwich 08-09 spring to mind. It's the general hopeless ineptitude that resonates. We've looked in trouble since 20 minutes into the opening match when Blackburn equalised and rarely shown any hint that we are better than the league table suggests (odd twenty minute spells of looking pretty but ineffective really aren't enough).

Hurst is out of his depth and needs to be relieved of his job immediately if we are to have any chance of staying up, he should have gone a month ago in my opinion, after Bolton and before he managed to fluke a win.

Ultimately though this is on Evans and eleven years of inept ownership of the club. We're left with an inadequate team, a disillusioned, largely apathetic fanbase and a crumbling ground. We should enjoy the Champie this season, we might not be back for a while.

P.S. It's good to see you and Old Timer back on here even if it's the shear awfulness that's brought you both back.

How bad are we? on 19:22 - Oct 21 with 3424 viewsSwansea_Blue

on 19:14 - Oct 21 by _

A much better analogy than Crewe or Swindon though. Those latter 2 are smaller clubs who hit on a modicum of success that was never destined to last. We're similar in size to the Naaaarwich. Sunderland last season would be another good analogy - had a major change of players during the summer (enforced after relegation, but we;ve voluntarily done the same). And with a manager who's only really known for L1 efforts, trying to mould a mixed bunch of lower leaguers with a sprinkling of older 'so, so' players.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How bad are we? on 19:58 - Oct 21 with 3372 viewsOldTimer2

How bad are we? on 19:13 - Oct 21 by Steve_M

Actually the spirit of renewed optimism at the start of the season meant that I started going regularly again after quite a break. Possibly not quite what i was hoping for. Had been in the ' give him longer camp' but yesterday was so bad that getting harder to see how it changes. Only consolation is that we are not adrift and there are plenty of other terrible teams in this division.

Bobby Robson - thank you

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024