Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We’re just a mess of a club 06:35 - Oct 21 with 10252 viewschristiand

I was watching the motionless PH on the touchline towards the end of the game and I found myself wondering what was going on through his head? This is his team now, his players, implementing his style of play and tactics. It really is less than inspiring. Based on yesterday’s display, it really doesn’t give you much hope for the immediate future as a supporter of the club as we simply look second rate and that’s being generous. If I was PH, I’d feel completely embarrassed by that performance, but these type of displays are becoming the norm under him this season and not the exception.

Then I think of our esteemed owner, a man with his branding emblazoned around the ground, but deems quite happy for the club to sink into oblivion without putting up a fight to retain our Championship status. The club looks tired, worn and in desperate need of some proper financial investment, but ME continues to escape much criticism where the buck should be firmly laid at his door. As a club owner surely you should feel a semblance of pride of what you’re creating or overseeing, I just don’t get that impression from him, we’re more of a hinderance it appears while he does the bare minimum financially to keep us going rather than making us a competitive force. IF we get relegated and unless you’re in complete denial as a Town fan this should be a real concern, a drop to the third tier of professional football would just compound ME’s tenure as our club owner. The last decade has been nothing short of a catalogue of cost cutting exercises and huge underachievement under the tepid leadership of Mr Evans.

Quite frankly, both men should hang their heads in shame and admit that neither are up to the job that they are employed to do at the once great Ipswich Town FC. I just hope they both do the decent thing and step aside because if both remain we’re going to sink into football’s oblivion without a trace.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2018 6:48]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

We’re just a mess of a club on 11:16 - Oct 21 with 4193 viewsBenters2

We’re just a mess of a club on 09:19 - Oct 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

Magical Vegas must be thrilled......although it does confirm that gamblers always lose in the end!

Haha !
We’re just a mess of a club on 12:10 - Oct 21 with 4133 viewsRyorry

We’re just a mess of a club on 11:16 - Oct 21 by Benters2

Haha !

If we were to go down, getting rid of that horrible logo might be the only silver lining - tho you gotta wonder what other sponsor/s would be willing to back us ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

We’re just a mess of a club on 12:13 - Oct 21 with 4126 viewsfooters

We’re just a mess of a club on 12:10 - Oct 21 by Ryorry

If we were to go down, getting rid of that horrible logo might be the only silver lining - tho you gotta wonder what other sponsor/s would be willing to back us ...

Dignitas?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

We’re just a mess of a club on 12:14 - Oct 21 with 4118 viewsBenters2

We’re just a mess of a club on 12:10 - Oct 21 by Ryorry

Id wet myself if it was Adnams.

I have a Adnams cycling top and its beautiful.
We’re just a mess of a club on 12:16 - Oct 21 with 4114 viewsRyorry

We’re just a mess of a club on 12:13 - Oct 21 by footers

Dignitas?

10/10 for gallows humour, but I was about to put up an OP on how emosh & down I'm feeling atm, whether because of ITFC, time of year, age creeping on, or any combo of those. Don't think I'll bother now!!

We’re just a mess of a club on 12:20 - Oct 21 with 4108 viewsfooters

We’re just a mess of a club on 12:16 - Oct 21 by Ryorry

10/10 for gallows humour, but I was about to put up an OP on how emosh & down I'm feeling atm, whether because of ITFC, time of year, age creeping on, or any combo of those. Don't think I'll bother now!!

Sorry, R! Yeah, everything seems a bit crap at the mo, gallows humour is all I've got. Tbh I love this time of year, the autumn and run up to Christmas. Maybe invest in one of those SAD gizmos? My mate's got one and he says it works a treat. As for ITFC, keep buying those lottery tickets!

We’re just a mess of a club on 12:21 - Oct 21 with 4100 viewsRyorry

We’re just a mess of a club on 12:20 - Oct 21 by footers

Sorry, R! Yeah, everything seems a bit crap at the mo, gallows humour is all I've got. Tbh I love this time of year, the autumn and run up to Christmas. Maybe invest in one of those SAD gizmos? My mate's got one and he says it works a treat. As for ITFC, keep buying those lottery tickets!

Interesting re SAD machines, yes will have a look, ta.

It'd have to be EuroMillions tickets!

We’re just a mess of a club on 12:35 - Oct 21 with 4063 viewseireblue

We’re just a mess of a club on 09:44 - Oct 21 by Herbivore

If you're writing Jackson off that's very harsh. He's been in and out of the side but when he's played he's showed promise imo and when he had a run of starts he scored one, got an assist, and won a red card. He has shown enough to suggest he has something about him. In fact most of the signings have shown at least glimpses of quality at times but the team as a whole just looks clueless.

That said, I don't think Hurst is the man to give another £5m to. Sadly I think he's failed to make the step up far more spectacularly than any of his signings.

I think that maybe the motivating factor for ME to replace Hurst.

Would he trust Hurst to spend £5m now.
Login to get fewer ads

We’re just a mess of a club on 12:40 - Oct 21 with 4052 viewsbackwiththeboysagain

We’re just a mess of a club on 07:29 - Oct 21 by tractorboy1978

Hurst has to go but the worrying thing is that I cannot see anyone else getting any more out of the terrible side that he has built. This has to be the worst Ipswich Town side that I can remember. Fundamentally, too many of the players are either not good enough or cannot be relied upon and we look destined for L1.

Hurst has come in and shown a foolish arrogance to the job IMO. He seriously under estimated the division.

That’s PH’s main problem, a very arrogant man who has underestimated this league. With his comments about us not having a good squad when he arrived, he’s sent out some promising youngsters and bought in dross to replace them.
We’re just a mess of a club on 12:43 - Oct 21 with 4046 viewsfooters

We’re just a mess of a club on 12:40 - Oct 21 by backwiththeboysagain

That’s PH’s main problem, a very arrogant man who has underestimated this league. With his comments about us not having a good squad when he arrived, he’s sent out some promising youngsters and bought in dross to replace them.

He seems to think he's still managing Shrewsbury. The level of player brought in here would be great for them, just not for the Championship. Let's hope he gets his P45 and buys all the dross from us when he's back in L1.

I'm not sure we're a mess of a club exactly on 14:43 - Oct 21 with 3987 viewsSonOfSpock

I'm not sure we're a mess of a club exactly on 09:14 - Oct 21 by Dyland

And there's an awful lot of assumption about Evans. Isn't some of the "gossip" that he's far from happy and looking at other options...? I don't think he's blase about the possibility of relegation. Sure, he doesn't have quite the same emotional investment as the fans, but he surely also feels relegation would be disastrous. Completely agree with you that he's not immune from criticism and blame though.

What's more clear is that Hurst is not looking up to the job, and it's very hard to see this set up picking up enough points. A few off days from usually better performers yesterday that managers can't do much about, but we also look(ed) pretty clueless tactically. I guess there are some mitigating factors, but as you say, it's his team.

I've thought it needs time, at least until November or Xmas, but after Bolton and QPR I'm not sure. Stick or twist Marcus?

Mitigating factors? Such as managerial incompetence?
We’re just a mess of a club on 14:53 - Oct 21 with 3980 viewstextbackup

We’re just a mess of a club on 09:38 - Oct 21 by Herbivore

Thankfully we still have the best part of £5m of the money generated from sales left to spend. That is perhaps the only saving grace of our current plight, there should still be decent funds there to strengthen with.

If u believe that u are mad

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

We’re just a mess of a club on 15:01 - Oct 21 with 3965 viewsoldollie

We’re just a mess of a club on 07:29 - Oct 21 by tractorboy1978

Hurst has to go but the worrying thing is that I cannot see anyone else getting any more out of the terrible side that he has built. This has to be the worst Ipswich Town side that I can remember. Fundamentally, too many of the players are either not good enough or cannot be relied upon and we look destined for L1.

Hurst has come in and shown a foolish arrogance to the job IMO. He seriously under estimated the division.

If you want to see a mess of a club you just need to travel up the a140 to have a look at that lot!
We’re just a mess of a club on 15:04 - Oct 21 with 3955 viewsjas0999

Evans has been the problem for many years. Too slow to pull the trigger on PJs and MMs reigns. Seems clueless how to run a football club. Although he probably is putting money into the club, the product I.e. the playing squad, has suffered from significant under investment for many years. In fact Evans has invested nothing into the players. He has re invested SOME of the funds received, but by no means all. This summer a case in point. Around £10M received. Around £5 M spent. Interesting the usual ‘money spent on wages’ routine hasn’t been spun. Of course, the likelihood is wages are down. Hurst on nowhere near the £1 M of MM. McGoldrick, Garner, Waghorn and Webster would have been high earners. Few of the new signings are likely to be on anything remotely close.

The club is in a complete mess. Evans appoints managers. Is responsible for firing. He does the deals and thus authorised high profile sales. Failed to do several deals. He gave Mick virtually nothing to spend despite £17M being raked in during his tenure. If MM had half that, I really do believe we’d have been promoted.

Evans should be ashamed of himself. He has removed the rich history, wonderful tradition of what was a caring family club. No more. Not under Evans. He’s destroyed us.
We’re just a mess of a club on 15:10 - Oct 21 with 3935 viewsNthsuffolkblue

We’re just a mess of a club on 09:44 - Oct 21 by Herbivore

If you're writing Jackson off that's very harsh. He's been in and out of the side but when he's played he's showed promise imo and when he had a run of starts he scored one, got an assist, and won a red card. He has shown enough to suggest he has something about him. In fact most of the signings have shown at least glimpses of quality at times but the team as a whole just looks clueless.

That said, I don't think Hurst is the man to give another £5m to. Sadly I think he's failed to make the step up far more spectacularly than any of his signings.

Indeed. I most certainly am not writing any of them off and I think Jackson is probably the most promising of them all (Edwards included). However, Jackson has not had the immediate impact Waghorn had. To get Waghorn was a steal and a masterstroke by our previous manager. To think he had previously done it with McGoldrick too. It is the quality of MM's best signings that we are probably missing most.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

We’re just a mess of a club on 16:27 - Oct 21 with 3876 viewsVic

We’re just a mess of a club on 07:44 - Oct 21 by JimmyJazz

McClaren and his coaches occasionally got up and gave some orders - let's face it they didn't really need to do much - and there was one point in the second half at a QPR throw, i noticed PH stuck his arm out as if to say someone mark here, and it was such a pointless gesture as if he had glanced at the opposition technical area and thought, maybe I should do something now and again.

Throughout his tenure MM had the peanuts to work with. PH spent around 6 million. Well I say spent but that should read criminally squandered.

Yes, but to spend £6m he had to sell or get ride of several Key squad and team members. MM wouldn’t have done that and therefore wouldn’t have had the money to spend. It would have been another season of mediocrity, which we were all railing against.

It’s been a lose, lose situation really hasn’t it!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

We’re just a mess of a club on 16:38 - Oct 21 with 3864 viewswarkthisway

Please forward this to Milne

bentnkuqi

We’re just a mess of a club on 18:40 - Oct 21 with 3827 viewsHerbivore

We’re just a mess of a club on 14:53 - Oct 21 by textbackup

If u believe that u are mad

If the money isn't reinvested then questions need to be asked, the money from sales is there.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Yep, I'm in the twisting mood too (n/t) on 20:54 - Oct 21 with 3791 viewsbackwaywhen

Yep, I'm in the twisting mood too (n/t) on 09:22 - Oct 21 by Dyland

Surely the right appointment could put round pegs in round holes and shape this squad in to a team that’s gives us a decent chance of climbing the table !.
Yep, I'm in the twisting mood too (n/t) on 23:10 - Oct 21 with 3738 viewsJimmyJazz

Yep, I'm in the twisting mood too (n/t) on 20:54 - Oct 21 by backwaywhen

Surely the right appointment could put round pegs in round holes and shape this squad in to a team that’s gives us a decent chance of climbing the table !.

If a new manager came along in the next couple of weeks, i imagine the first thing they would do is put Bart back in goal. A reinvigorated Bart then has a good game and we win, new manager hailed a genius and everyone would wonder why PH didn't do the same.

The goalkeeper situation is just PH making a rod for his own back.

Swallow your pride and tighten up the back, get Jonas back in and play Pennington alongside Chambers.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

We’re just a mess of a club on 00:03 - Oct 22 with 3712 viewswarkthisway

We’re just a mess of a club on 11:07 - Oct 21 by Ryorry

I'm constantly staggered at how inept a businessman ME shows himself to be - quite aside from the Brazil ticketing fiasco (how's that going btw?) - what competent business person would tolerate being associated with a stadium which is regularly described as run down, dirty, in need of a lick of paint and basic repairs etc? Not to mention a hospitality business again regularly described as being unable to maximise sales at a sporting event half-time because of lack of staff, poor quality food etc etc. Those issues, which give such a bad impression and such bad PR (sorry!) would be relatively cheap and easy to fix - but they aren't ever addressed. So it's, sadly, hardly a surprise when the owner fails to address the issue of the actual footballing side of things :(
[Post edited 21 Oct 2018 11:09]

Isnt that all Milnes responsibility ? What on earth does that man contribute?

bentnkuqi

We’re just a mess of a club on 08:03 - Oct 22 with 3672 viewsHerbivore

We’re just a mess of a club on 00:03 - Oct 22 by warkthisway

He's basically just a spokesman for ME. He doesn't control the purse strings and so can't just fix the various niggly issues with the match day experience at PR as they will all require investment.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We’re just a mess of a club on 12:53 - Oct 22 with 3625 viewsRyorry

We’re just a mess of a club on 00:03 - Oct 22 by warkthisway

And who appointed him?!

We’re just a mess of a club on 12:58 - Oct 22 with 3614 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

We’re just a mess of a club on 06:50 - Oct 21 by TractorWood

Agree. This type of season has been coming for a few years. MM did well to keep the results better than the resources he had but Hurst has tried to put together a footballing squad on peanuts. The only option was to hope league one and two players can make the jump. For example Kayden Jackson scored 16 goals (basically one in three) in a league two team that won the league. When you compare that to some excellent goal scorers in the Championship, that's a poor purchase.

Our squad is so short of quality. Yesterday's back four and Gerken are irrefutably a league one outfit. An aging but mostly solid Skuse, an isolated Sears, an infuriatingly inconsistent Grant Ward.

We have a league one crowd, a league one budget and league one players. We are already down in my book. Hurst has been poor, but the running of the whole club is the problem.

Im sure this is what PH has been budgeting for- for years MM has just buck the trend.

But the 3yr plan didn't say we wouldn't go down 1st.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024