Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We’re just a mess of a club 06:35 - Oct 21 with 10168 viewschristiand

I was watching the motionless PH on the touchline towards the end of the game and I found myself wondering what was going on through his head? This is his team now, his players, implementing his style of play and tactics. It really is less than inspiring. Based on yesterday’s display, it really doesn’t give you much hope for the immediate future as a supporter of the club as we simply look second rate and that’s being generous. If I was PH, I’d feel completely embarrassed by that performance, but these type of displays are becoming the norm under him this season and not the exception.

Then I think of our esteemed owner, a man with his branding emblazoned around the ground, but deems quite happy for the club to sink into oblivion without putting up a fight to retain our Championship status. The club looks tired, worn and in desperate need of some proper financial investment, but ME continues to escape much criticism where the buck should be firmly laid at his door. As a club owner surely you should feel a semblance of pride of what you’re creating or overseeing, I just don’t get that impression from him, we’re more of a hinderance it appears while he does the bare minimum financially to keep us going rather than making us a competitive force. IF we get relegated and unless you’re in complete denial as a Town fan this should be a real concern, a drop to the third tier of professional football would just compound ME’s tenure as our club owner. The last decade has been nothing short of a catalogue of cost cutting exercises and huge underachievement under the tepid leadership of Mr Evans.

Quite frankly, both men should hang their heads in shame and admit that neither are up to the job that they are employed to do at the once great Ipswich Town FC. I just hope they both do the decent thing and step aside because if both remain we’re going to sink into football’s oblivion without a trace.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2018 6:48]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

We’re just a mess of a club on 06:50 - Oct 21 with 5952 viewsTractorWood

Agree. This type of season has been coming for a few years. MM did well to keep the results better than the resources he had but Hurst has tried to put together a footballing squad on peanuts. The only option was to hope league one and two players can make the jump. For example Kayden Jackson scored 16 goals (basically one in three) in a league two team that won the league. When you compare that to some excellent goal scorers in the Championship, that's a poor purchase.

Our squad is so short of quality. Yesterday's back four and Gerken are irrefutably a league one outfit. An aging but mostly solid Skuse, an isolated Sears, an infuriatingly inconsistent Grant Ward.

We have a league one crowd, a league one budget and league one players. We are already down in my book. Hurst has been poor, but the running of the whole club is the problem.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

We’re just a mess of a club on 06:54 - Oct 21 with 5944 viewstextbackup

inwant to know if PH honestly thinks it was a good idea spending £5/6 million on players that aren’t good enough at this level.

We now have nobody to sell to get funds in, just sht league 1/2 level players that are absolute sht to watch.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

We’re just a mess of a club on 06:57 - Oct 21 with 5930 viewstrncbluearmy

Whilst I agree with every word,who will take over the shambles that Evans has created? From day one when he sacked all the people that could have helped him the most and put in his lackeys and yes men and then proceeded to employ a simply disastrous bunch of incompetent managers,Mccarthy being the only exception but he eventually became his own worst enemy. As for those pictures of milne laughing and joking in the Directors box it makes me sick to the core that people like that are any part of ITFC.

Some are referring to relegation to league 1, some of us know exactly what that is, Division 3 for christs sake, and there is absolutely no doubt that ITFC will get relegated under the current regime.
The only answer I can see is GB, no one without Ipswich connections is going to want to take over the current squad working for the current owner. He is are only and best shot.

If nothing is done and ITFC go down the only light at the end of the tunnel is Evans will surly cut his losses and the budgets required in Div 3 may give new owners a chance of turning it around,the sad fact is that with a plumbeting supporter base and a useless owner Div 2 is to rich for ITFC.
We’re just a mess of a club on 06:57 - Oct 21 with 5935 viewsTractorWood

We’re just a mess of a club on 06:54 - Oct 21 by textbackup

inwant to know if PH honestly thinks it was a good idea spending £5/6 million on players that aren’t good enough at this level.

We now have nobody to sell to get funds in, just sht league 1/2 level players that are absolute sht to watch.

Might get whooshed for this but if we went down with that squad, Bart and maybe Edwards would get sold and then we'd struggle in league one.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

We’re just a mess of a club on 07:13 - Oct 21 with 5860 viewsBenters2

I think Hurst got out jail yesterday with it finishing 0-2, it was so close to being 0-4 if that had happened i wonder if there would have been proper fights in the stand.People would have gone proper nuts at the end.

Sadly with this current regime we are going down.
We’re just a mess of a club on 07:29 - Oct 21 with 5803 viewstractorboy1978

Hurst has to go but the worrying thing is that I cannot see anyone else getting any more out of the terrible side that he has built. This has to be the worst Ipswich Town side that I can remember. Fundamentally, too many of the players are either not good enough or cannot be relied upon and we look destined for L1.

Hurst has come in and shown a foolish arrogance to the job IMO. He seriously under estimated the division.
We’re just a mess of a club on 07:44 - Oct 21 with 5741 viewsJimmyJazz

McClaren and his coaches occasionally got up and gave some orders - let's face it they didn't really need to do much - and there was one point in the second half at a QPR throw, i noticed PH stuck his arm out as if to say someone mark here, and it was such a pointless gesture as if he had glanced at the opposition technical area and thought, maybe I should do something now and again.

Throughout his tenure MM had the peanuts to work with. PH spent around 6 million. Well I say spent but that should read criminally squandered.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

We’re just a mess of a club on 07:47 - Oct 21 with 5724 viewsBenters2

We’re just a mess of a club on 07:44 - Oct 21 by JimmyJazz

McClaren and his coaches occasionally got up and gave some orders - let's face it they didn't really need to do much - and there was one point in the second half at a QPR throw, i noticed PH stuck his arm out as if to say someone mark here, and it was such a pointless gesture as if he had glanced at the opposition technical area and thought, maybe I should do something now and again.

Throughout his tenure MM had the peanuts to work with. PH spent around 6 million. Well I say spent but that should read criminally squandered.

Has he really spent close on £6m?

Christ on a bike i feel even worse now.
Login to get fewer ads

We’re just a mess of a club on 08:49 - Oct 21 with 5570 viewsRegencyBlue

Our illustrious owner is the man ultimately responsible for the shambles unfolding before us. It’s been obvious for years that his penny pinching regime would eventually result in relegation but what Hurst has done is accelerate the process alarmingly!

It was painful watching us yesterday and you are right, we are a complete and utter mess.
We’re just a mess of a club on 09:11 - Oct 21 with 5447 viewsReuser_is_God

‘I’ll spend the money as if it were my own’ was his quote.

He must have bought some utter sh1t in his personal life.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

We’re just a mess of a club on 09:12 - Oct 21 with 5439 viewsReuser_is_God

We’re just a mess of a club on 07:13 - Oct 21 by Benters2

I think Hurst got out jail yesterday with it finishing 0-2, it was so close to being 0-4 if that had happened i wonder if there would have been proper fights in the stand.People would have gone proper nuts at the end.

Sadly with this current regime we are going down.

I make you right.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

I'm not sure we're a mess of a club exactly on 09:14 - Oct 21 with 5431 viewsDyland

And there's an awful lot of assumption about Evans. Isn't some of the "gossip" that he's far from happy and looking at other options...? I don't think he's blase about the possibility of relegation. Sure, he doesn't have quite the same emotional investment as the fans, but he surely also feels relegation would be disastrous. Completely agree with you that he's not immune from criticism and blame though.

What's more clear is that Hurst is not looking up to the job, and it's very hard to see this set up picking up enough points. A few off days from usually better performers yesterday that managers can't do much about, but we also look(ed) pretty clueless tactically. I guess there are some mitigating factors, but as you say, it's his team.

I've thought it needs time, at least until November or Xmas, but after Bolton and QPR I'm not sure. Stick or twist Marcus?

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

We’re just a mess of a club on 09:15 - Oct 21 with 5408 viewsBenters2

We’re just a mess of a club on 09:12 - Oct 21 by Reuser_is_God

I make you right.

Thanks i make me right as well.
I'm not sure we're a mess of a club exactly on 09:18 - Oct 21 with 5387 viewsMullet

I'm not sure we're a mess of a club exactly on 09:14 - Oct 21 by Dyland

And there's an awful lot of assumption about Evans. Isn't some of the "gossip" that he's far from happy and looking at other options...? I don't think he's blase about the possibility of relegation. Sure, he doesn't have quite the same emotional investment as the fans, but he surely also feels relegation would be disastrous. Completely agree with you that he's not immune from criticism and blame though.

What's more clear is that Hurst is not looking up to the job, and it's very hard to see this set up picking up enough points. A few off days from usually better performers yesterday that managers can't do much about, but we also look(ed) pretty clueless tactically. I guess there are some mitigating factors, but as you say, it's his team.

I've thought it needs time, at least until November or Xmas, but after Bolton and QPR I'm not sure. Stick or twist Marcus?

If you leave it until the end of November you're a month past when Mick came in, but probably a similar, if not slightly worse position, with less games to go. Not sure that's fair on the incumbent unless they are promised a go in Div 3.

We really needed him gone sooner, especially if that win at Swansea was the reason he didn't get sacked. It's only harmed us long term.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

We’re just a mess of a club on 09:19 - Oct 21 with 5374 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Magical Vegas must be thrilled......although it does confirm that gamblers always lose in the end!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Yep, I'm in the twisting mood too (n/t) on 09:22 - Oct 21 with 5345 viewsDyland

I'm not sure we're a mess of a club exactly on 09:18 - Oct 21 by Mullet

If you leave it until the end of November you're a month past when Mick came in, but probably a similar, if not slightly worse position, with less games to go. Not sure that's fair on the incumbent unless they are promised a go in Div 3.

We really needed him gone sooner, especially if that win at Swansea was the reason he didn't get sacked. It's only harmed us long term.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

We’re just a mess of a club on 09:25 - Oct 21 with 5304 viewschristiand

We’re just a mess of a club on 09:19 - Oct 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

Magical Vegas must be thrilled......although it does confirm that gamblers always lose in the end!

That made me chuckle Bansterdebtslave, have an uppie!!

I'm not sure we're a mess of a club exactly on 09:30 - Oct 21 with 5249 viewsRegencyBlue

I'm not sure we're a mess of a club exactly on 09:14 - Oct 21 by Dyland

I don’t know if he’s happy or not but one thing that is abundantly clear is it’s going to cost him a shed load of money in the January transfer window if he’s serious about keeping us in the Championship.

Hursts summer spending has been disastrous with £6 million basically wasted as far as I can see. Whoever the manager is come January will need to bring in several players to have any hope of keeping us up.
We’re just a mess of a club on 09:35 - Oct 21 with 5202 viewsNthsuffolkblue

There is a heavy implication in the OP that a manager ranting and raving on the touchline works. I understand that is not always the answer.

My issue is more that he has now had time to effect change and yet the same issues appear to remain unresolved. It is not like we are continually having bad luck/poor refereeing decisions. There was an element of that early on but now we are just defending poorly, lacking cohesion and rarely looking effective going forward. It is about how a manager resolves those on the training ground and with calm tactical changes during a match but those things do not appear to be happening. I do not buy into the whole the squad isn't good enough argument … yet.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

We’re just a mess of a club on 09:38 - Oct 21 with 5179 viewsHerbivore

Thankfully we still have the best part of £5m of the money generated from sales left to spend. That is perhaps the only saving grace of our current plight, there should still be decent funds there to strengthen with.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We’re just a mess of a club on 09:40 - Oct 21 with 5163 viewschristiand

We’re just a mess of a club on 09:35 - Oct 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

There is a heavy implication in the OP that a manager ranting and raving on the touchline works. I understand that is not always the answer.

My issue is more that he has now had time to effect change and yet the same issues appear to remain unresolved. It is not like we are continually having bad luck/poor refereeing decisions. There was an element of that early on but now we are just defending poorly, lacking cohesion and rarely looking effective going forward. It is about how a manager resolves those on the training ground and with calm tactical changes during a match but those things do not appear to be happening. I do not buy into the whole the squad isn't good enough argument … yet.

Not at all, I was just wondering what he was thinking but used the adjective ‘motionless’ to describe PH on the touchline, which is a fair description. I didn’t say I wanted a manager that rants and raves towards his players, that’s your own interpretation.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2018 9:40]

We’re just a mess of a club on 09:41 - Oct 21 with 5146 viewsNthsuffolkblue

We’re just a mess of a club on 09:38 - Oct 21 by Herbivore

Thankfully we still have the best part of £5m of the money generated from sales left to spend. That is perhaps the only saving grace of our current plight, there should still be decent funds there to strengthen with.

Another Nolan and Jackson then?

That sort of money (if it is actually available) does not go very far.

Of course, you could buy a whole load of Mings, Cresswell, Walters and a Waghron thrown in too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

We’re just a mess of a club on 09:44 - Oct 21 with 5119 viewsHerbivore

We’re just a mess of a club on 09:41 - Oct 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

Another Nolan and Jackson then?

That sort of money (if it is actually available) does not go very far.

Of course, you could buy a whole load of Mings, Cresswell, Walters and a Waghron thrown in too.

If you're writing Jackson off that's very harsh. He's been in and out of the side but when he's played he's showed promise imo and when he had a run of starts he scored one, got an assist, and won a red card. He has shown enough to suggest he has something about him. In fact most of the signings have shown at least glimpses of quality at times but the team as a whole just looks clueless.

That said, I don't think Hurst is the man to give another £5m to. Sadly I think he's failed to make the step up far more spectacularly than any of his signings.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We’re just a mess of a club on 09:55 - Oct 21 with 5084 viewsPinewoodblue

Hurst said in his post match interviews that it was probably our poorest performance this season. Presumably he needs to see the stats before knowing for certain. Hurst also said, a few weeks ago that Evans was surprised by the extent of the changes that have been made.

The level of change was fuelled by the departures of two key attacking players. We keep hearing about off field shinanigans and it seems reasonable to assume that two well travelled, and experienced players could see what was coming and decided to jump ship.

We started with the same team as we did at Swansea. It didn't work then and it didn't work yesterday. He changed it at Swansea but for reasons only PH knows he didn't bother at make changes yesterday until we were well into the second half. The only conclusion seems to be that he, PH, is out of his depth.

Paul Hurst seems out of his depth perhaps he should speak to Evans and negotiate his departure.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

We’re just a mess of a club on 11:07 - Oct 21 with 4929 viewsRyorry

We’re just a mess of a club on 06:50 - Oct 21 by TractorWood

Agree. This type of season has been coming for a few years. MM did well to keep the results better than the resources he had but Hurst has tried to put together a footballing squad on peanuts. The only option was to hope league one and two players can make the jump. For example Kayden Jackson scored 16 goals (basically one in three) in a league two team that won the league. When you compare that to some excellent goal scorers in the Championship, that's a poor purchase.

Our squad is so short of quality. Yesterday's back four and Gerken are irrefutably a league one outfit. An aging but mostly solid Skuse, an isolated Sears, an infuriatingly inconsistent Grant Ward.

We have a league one crowd, a league one budget and league one players. We are already down in my book. Hurst has been poor, but the running of the whole club is the problem.

I'm constantly staggered at how inept a businessman ME shows himself to be - quite aside from the Brazil ticketing fiasco (how's that going btw?) - what competent business person would tolerate being associated with a stadium which is regularly described as run down, dirty, in need of a lick of paint and basic repairs etc? Not to mention a hospitality business again regularly described as being unable to maximise sales at a sporting event half-time because of lack of staff, poor quality food etc etc. Those issues, which give such a bad impression and such bad PR (sorry!) would be relatively cheap and easy to fix - but they aren't ever addressed. So it's, sadly, hardly a surprise when the owner fails to address the issue of the actual footballing side of things :(
[Post edited 21 Oct 2018 11:09]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024