Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? 10:59 - Oct 21 with 8999 viewsITFCBlues

Warburton? Is he really any good? Not really done it anywhere other than you could say Rangers?

Poyet wouldn’t come here. He’d want money to spend which will just never happen.

Who else is there?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 08:58 - Oct 22 with 2576 viewschicoazul

People always say "so and so wont come here because no money to spend" like a Manager out of work would make that choice.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 09:01 - Oct 22 with 2578 viewshype313

If Bruce has had enough time off, especially given the loss of his parents and is within our budget, then I'd give him a call.

Failing that Warburton.

As romantic as it would be to have Burley back, I just think his time has passed.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 09:01 - Oct 22 with 2577 viewscarlisleaway

Give Gerard Nash a chance, he can be no worse than Hurst. He will also know what is coming through the reserves and youth players which will have played under him.
IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 12:32 - Oct 22 with 2529 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

Warburton makes so much sense to me.

- Got out of League 1 with Brentford before taking them into the play-offs at the first time of asking, so has proved he can manage at this level on a small budget, playing nice football and knows how big the difference is between League 1 and the Championship.

- He speaks very well, for example "we've got a lot of young players who will find their feet, but when you start a new job and move up you have to adapt to your new environment quickly because no allowances will be given" is something PH should have considered over the summer; this links in with a quote from Alan McCormack (Bees defender during their L1 promotion campaign) "a change in management often means a new man bringing in their own staff and own ideas, but he (Warburton) has kept it pretty much the same, just making one or two changes" i.e. not the mass overhaul carried out in Suffolk over the last few months.

- During the Championship season, he only used 24 players. We've already used 27. He'll provide consistency, allowing relationships to be formed and an identity to be created within the squad.

- He then had success with Rangers, winning the Scottish Challenge Cup and Scottish Championship in his first season. Their SPL campaign wasn't as successful as the board hoped, with them 19 points behind Celtic on New Year's Eve, however nobody has done much better since (excluding the current season) and he'd done that with a squad just coming up from the tier below - add in the fact Rangers aren't the most stable or well run club in land, and that's fairly impressive. He even beat Celtic - imagine if he could repeat that equivalent here

- He then went back to the Championship with Forest and kept them up. His philosophy stayed the same, but he made them defensively solid and they had enough points to stay up with games remaining. He was only sacked the following season (in 14th place, an upgrade on the previous year) because despite being told to finish mid-table, the owners moved the goalposts and wanted promotion instead.

Right now we need someone who knows what it takes at this level, can work on a tight budget and gets us playing football that isn't so boring and uninspiring that people are opening their newspapers for the second half.
We need someone who understands the environment and pressures within the job, someone who'll bring consistency and be willing to trust and develop the younger players.
And using the Forest example, we'd love to stay up by any means this season and if we finished even slightly higher next year then that's progress, which we're not seeing at the moment.

He's not perfect, he'll make and has made mistakes otherwise he'd not currently be out of a job, but who doesn't make mistakes? He's got the experience, know-how and philosophy to keep us in this division and move us forward in coming years which is why he was my first choice once we knew Mick was going.

Come on, Marcus, do the logical thing here.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2018 12:35]
IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 12:35 - Oct 22 with 2523 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Brentford and Rangers were big successes.

And his time at Forest was hardly a failure, started a really good project there and had only 6 months. And they weren’t sitting bottom, they were middle table and playing so really good football.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 13:00 - Oct 22 with 2502 viewsitfcjoe

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 12:32 - Oct 22 by No_Moore_Kieffer

Warburton makes so much sense to me.

- Got out of League 1 with Brentford before taking them into the play-offs at the first time of asking, so has proved he can manage at this level on a small budget, playing nice football and knows how big the difference is between League 1 and the Championship.

- He speaks very well, for example "we've got a lot of young players who will find their feet, but when you start a new job and move up you have to adapt to your new environment quickly because no allowances will be given" is something PH should have considered over the summer; this links in with a quote from Alan McCormack (Bees defender during their L1 promotion campaign) "a change in management often means a new man bringing in their own staff and own ideas, but he (Warburton) has kept it pretty much the same, just making one or two changes" i.e. not the mass overhaul carried out in Suffolk over the last few months.

- During the Championship season, he only used 24 players. We've already used 27. He'll provide consistency, allowing relationships to be formed and an identity to be created within the squad.

- He then had success with Rangers, winning the Scottish Challenge Cup and Scottish Championship in his first season. Their SPL campaign wasn't as successful as the board hoped, with them 19 points behind Celtic on New Year's Eve, however nobody has done much better since (excluding the current season) and he'd done that with a squad just coming up from the tier below - add in the fact Rangers aren't the most stable or well run club in land, and that's fairly impressive. He even beat Celtic - imagine if he could repeat that equivalent here

- He then went back to the Championship with Forest and kept them up. His philosophy stayed the same, but he made them defensively solid and they had enough points to stay up with games remaining. He was only sacked the following season (in 14th place, an upgrade on the previous year) because despite being told to finish mid-table, the owners moved the goalposts and wanted promotion instead.

Right now we need someone who knows what it takes at this level, can work on a tight budget and gets us playing football that isn't so boring and uninspiring that people are opening their newspapers for the second half.
We need someone who understands the environment and pressures within the job, someone who'll bring consistency and be willing to trust and develop the younger players.
And using the Forest example, we'd love to stay up by any means this season and if we finished even slightly higher next year then that's progress, which we're not seeing at the moment.

He's not perfect, he'll make and has made mistakes otherwise he'd not currently be out of a job, but who doesn't make mistakes? He's got the experience, know-how and philosophy to keep us in this division and move us forward in coming years which is why he was my first choice once we knew Mick was going.

Come on, Marcus, do the logical thing here.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2018 12:35]

" but he made them defensively solid and they had enough points to stay up with games remaining"

They only stayed up by beating us on last day of the season

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 13:06 - Oct 22 with 2486 viewsHennikerBlu

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 09:01 - Oct 22 by hype313

If Bruce has had enough time off, especially given the loss of his parents and is within our budget, then I'd give him a call.

Failing that Warburton.

As romantic as it would be to have Burley back, I just think his time has passed.

I am not against Bruce, but agree 100% he needs a break. Looked shell shocked at Villa, plus the cabbage incident being all over the press. Even pulling up for petrol would probably attract stupid comments.
IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 13:08 - Oct 22 with 2483 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 13:00 - Oct 22 by itfcjoe

" but he made them defensively solid and they had enough points to stay up with games remaining"

Is that the case? If so, apologies. From what I remember though they were almost done as it was when he was appointed, so perhaps unfair to pin that on him. Either way they did progress in the following season, which is something we certainly need to do.
Login to get fewer ads

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 13:08 - Oct 22 with 2483 viewsPJH

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 13:00 - Oct 22 by itfcjoe

Don't think he beat Celtic either but I might be wrong.

edit-sorry, yes he did.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2018 13:14]
IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 13:13 - Oct 22 with 2470 viewsHennikerBlu

With no money to spend, no investment, expected to run everything (sourcing players) and relegation on the horizon, we need someone who can cope with those pressures and has experience at this level. If Colin was available I would take him.

If an agent receives a call from MM or Warnock or PH, I know which one holds the least credibility.

That said, I so hope we don't have to go through this process.
IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 13:20 - Oct 22 with 2458 viewscasanovacrow

Would the use of a different bucket have stopped the sinking of the titanic?
IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 13:24 - Oct 22 with 2446 viewsRoyKeanesDog

I'd honestly want Burley as I think he'd keep us up. It won't happen though.

Warburton is the obvious choice. I'd put pride aside and take Pardew or Bruce just to keep us up.

Poll: Best Football Song

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 13:26 - Oct 22 with 2442 viewsoldollie

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 13:24 - Oct 22 by RoyKeanesDog

I'd honestly want Burley as I think he'd keep us up. It won't happen though.

Warburton is the obvious choice. I'd put pride aside and take Pardew or Bruce just to keep us up.

Those 2 from Lincoln would seem the obvious choice but I would prefer to stick with Hurst until the end of the season
IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 13:31 - Oct 22 with 2425 viewsHennikerBlu

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 13:20 - Oct 22 by casanovacrow

Would the use of a different bucket have stopped the sinking of the titanic?

Reduced speed, proper procedures followed when ice flows were reported, might have.
Not to mention design flaws watertight compartments and quality of rivets.

A better analogy might be the failure to heed warnings and to operate with a crew/squad designed for this sea/league.
IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 13:40 - Oct 22 with 2398 viewsHennikerBlu

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 13:26 - Oct 22 by oldollie

Those 2 from Lincoln would seem the obvious choice but I would prefer to stick with Hurst until the end of the season

Arf arf, give it a rest or confess your yellow livered loyalty :))
IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 13:45 - Oct 22 with 2384 viewsNthsuffolkblue

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 08:57 - Oct 22 by Northern_Blue81

Not sure if you know this but quality experienced managers will want a big salary and a transfer budget, we don't do the latter.

Remind me how much MM spent in his first January transfer window.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 14:09 - Oct 22 with 2345 viewscasanovacrow

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 13:31 - Oct 22 by HennikerBlu

Reduced speed, proper procedures followed when ice flows were reported, might have.
Not to mention design flaws watertight compartments and quality of rivets.

A better analogy might be the failure to heed warnings and to operate with a crew/squad designed for this sea/league.

I'm sure there could be some people with another Titanic incident analogy if the conspiracy involving the Olympic was to be believed
IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 14:18 - Oct 22 with 2327 viewsNorthern_Blue81

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 13:45 - Oct 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

Remind me how much MM spent in his first January transfer window.

You could say Mick had a better squad of players when he started than who ever will take over next.

Who ever comes in to try and keep us up will have a serious challenge on their hands!
IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 14:20 - Oct 22 with 2325 viewsGeoffSentence

Megson, Allardyce, Curbishley, Redknapp* anyone, absolutely anyone. That's how desperate I feel about our position at the moment.

*happily out of the equation due to going into The Jungle

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 14:22 - Oct 22 with 2317 viewsNo9

An interesting point as before long ITFC may become seen by quality managers as a hot potato
IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 14:22 - Oct 22 with 2318 viewsGeoffSentence

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 12:35 - Oct 22 by TheTrueBlue1878

Brentford and Rangers were big successes.

And his time at Forest was hardly a failure, started a really good project there and had only 6 months. And they weren’t sitting bottom, they were middle table and playing so really good football.

mid table, playing good football.

I'd take that.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 14:25 - Oct 22 with 2307 viewsNthsuffolkblue

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 14:18 - Oct 22 by Northern_Blue81

You could say Mick had a better squad of players when he started than who ever will take over next.

Who ever comes in to try and keep us up will have a serious challenge on their hands!

I am not sure anyone would have said so when that squad had taken 7 points from the first 13 matches that season.

We still have the nucleus of a squad good enough to play in this division. What we don't have is any cohesion, teamwork or effective tactics.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 15:30 - Oct 22 with 2244 viewsjaykay

whats arsene wenger up to .

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 15:39 - Oct 22 with 2235 viewsNo9

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 15:30 - Oct 22 by jaykay

whats arsene wenger up to .

Has loads of offers according to the sports news
IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 16:28 - Oct 22 with 2201 viewsmonty_radio

IF PH does go, who realistically can we attract to replace him? on 14:22 - Oct 22 by No9

An interesting point as before long ITFC may become seen by quality managers as a hot potato

Not sure that phrase fits the case: As more and different teams have dropped down the number of sides with recent parachutes increases. They come complete with foreign owners or prospective new ones .

If stability means staying where you are, we define it, albeit in its negative aspect. All our managers have been given time. We're more of a cold chip than a hot potato.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024