Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... 13:03 - Oct 21 with 3956 viewsBluebell

is the lack of heroes and legends.

I wasn't around to support the greats such as Kevin Beattie, Mick Mills, Paul Mariner, Terry Butcher.....I could go on and on naming them. Players whose names are still mentioned often when talking about Ipswich Town Football Club.

I started watching Town when the likes of Marcus Stewart, Martijn Reuser, Jim Magilton, Matt Holland, Fabian Wilnis, Pablo, Shefki etc were playing. Great players who may eventually be admitted to the Ipswich Hall of Fame.

Then Marcus Evans took the club over. How many players from his era will even be thought of again? His teams have been made up of loanees, journeymen, players who stay a year or so and are off again. Players who do well and are sold off to other teams.

In the last 11years how many players will really stand out as legends? Luke Chambers maybe, Daryl Murphy perhaps but I can't for the life of me think of any more. The youngsters who make it will be sold on.

I certainly don't think any of the 'new' players will ever gain legend status. What will the fans of today tell their children and grandchildren about Ipswich Town?

Sad days at our football club.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2018 13:03]
The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 13:17 - Oct 21 with 3898 viewsRyorry

Sad days re football generally.

The "Premiership", Sky, players bought for £££££££££ equating to the GDP of small countries and on even more obscene "wages". Man City and ourselves were on a par till the early 2000s - then they got bought by the Abu Dabi Group, and we got bought by ME - consequently we are now on different footballing planets.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 13:20 - Oct 21 with 3884 viewsJ2BLUE

Murphy and Chambers are both brilliant servants but will be judged in the context of how utterly rubbish we've been. Chambers especially deserves plenty of respect and I hope he continues to build a legacy as a coach or manager here because he deserves better than to be gradually forgotten.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 13:29 - Oct 21 with 3859 viewsBluebell

The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 13:20 - Oct 21 by J2BLUE

Murphy and Chambers are both brilliant servants but will be judged in the context of how utterly rubbish we've been. Chambers especially deserves plenty of respect and I hope he continues to build a legacy as a coach or manager here because he deserves better than to be gradually forgotten.

I agree J2.

I feel so sorry for Chambers. He is so passionate about Ipswich it must be awful for him seeing what is happening to the club!
The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 13:33 - Oct 21 with 3842 viewsAce_High1

Good post.

I think the biggest reason is over the last 10 years we have not been building a side over a period of time so have not had mainstays of the team who can build up that reputation and connection with he club. The examples you give in the late 90's/early 2000's was a club moving in one direction and everything was based on long term planning. The core of the side was consistent and added to.

Contrast that to now where every 3 years we change manager, who then overhauls the squad and brings in their own type of players. Rinse and repeat - Magilton, Keane, Jewell, McCarthy and now Hurst.

Also anyone any good gets sold generally after a season or two so there is no longevity. All our talented academy players get snapped up, mostly before breaking into the first team so are not coming through anymore like a Dyer, Wright, Bent etc.
The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 13:35 - Oct 21 with 3829 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 13:20 - Oct 21 by J2BLUE

Indeed.

We remember legends from the 60s team and we remember legends from the late 70s/80s. As there are plenty of us alive to remember watching them, we remember those from the 90s. However, there have been plenty of periods from our history where there have been few if any stand out players that will truly stand the test of time.

No one expected the return to Europe when it happened and who knows what the future may bring but right now we look destined to follow the path of Coventry or Portsmouth rather than Southampton or West Ham. Here is hoping the academy will see that change.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 13:40 - Oct 21 with 3797 viewsBenters2

The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 13:29 - Oct 21 by Bluebell

I agree J2.

I feel so sorry for Chambers. He is so passionate about Ipswich it must be awful for him seeing what is happening to the club!

He looked gutted yesterday as he walked off.

A legend no,but one of the best out of a bad bunch i guess.

Our trouble this season is letting Webster,Waghorn,Garner and Didz go.

Not only that but what the actual f has Bart done wrong?
The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 13:48 - Oct 21 with 3773 viewsMach_foreignBlue

The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 13:40 - Oct 21 by Benters2

He looked gutted yesterday as he walked off.

A legend no,but one of the best out of a bad bunch i guess.

Our trouble this season is letting Webster,Waghorn,Garner and Didz go.

Not only that but what the actual f has Bart done wrong?

Ever since Didz and Webster has left us they have been a picture of good health. Fully fit both. Coincidence?
The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 15:22 - Oct 21 with 3659 viewsPecker

I am old enough to remember those greats. You probably only have Holland. Sad days indeed.
Login to get fewer ads

The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 16:09 - Oct 21 with 3602 viewsgazzer1999

The big problem is the Premier league and all the money associated with it. Every year is a gamble for the so called 'Big Clubs' in this division, every year most fail miserably (Derby), however they do at least look as if they are interested and actually win a few games.
I do not wish to add too much to the Paul Hurst debate, suffice to say would not have even been on my radar and totally uninspiring for me. As I said on numerous occasions we should have promoted from within.
We are definitely getting what we wished for: Division 3 football.
Where do we go from here? Well there is time to promote from within, unfortunately Hurst and Doig experiment has failed, there is no shame in removing them just because we are Ipswich and its not our way. Well our way died when George Burley was sacked and Joe Royle was brought in to get us straight back to the Premier league. Ever since we have had a shuffle of players, move them on and start again, only this time it is a complete shambles.
When I came home yesterday my wife asked how it was? to which I replied I don't think I have witnessed such a poor performance since watching ITFC. There have been some poor performance's over the years and games where we do not look like scoring, but I really do not see us scoring under this regime, you kind of go to the match expecting to lose. Its not like we are playing Man U or City, it was QPR and lets be honest they were dreadful, if their forward Eze I think is his name had been a bit more accurate he could and should have had a hat-trick. So that really says a lot about whats happening at ITFC at the moment, no hope.
Where do we go from here? well the obvious answer is down to Division 3. If we do not make a change sooner rather than later it will be too late. I guess Mr Evans is thinking of a change but who wants to take over and the first game is Leeds away, no one wants to start with a spanking, which we all know is going to happen, so probably Thursday morning unless Mr Evans sees sense sooner.
It may be player power thats happening at ITFC, but thats the way it is these days, just like supporter power removed Mick Mac last season, thats the world we have to live in.
Lets hope its onwards and UPWARDS not downwards.
The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 16:41 - Oct 21 with 3545 viewswarkthisway

Yes and many just realising this after 10 years of decline - but who now would want to invest in this mess?

bentnkuqi

The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 16:54 - Oct 21 with 3523 viewsReuser_is_God

We haven’t had a proper hero since Jim.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 16:55 - Oct 21 with 3522 viewsblueislander

The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 16:41 - Oct 21 by warkthisway

Yes and many just realising this after 10 years of decline - but who now would want to invest in this mess?

The fact that Chambers can be considered to be a Town legend shows how far we have sunk. He seems to care, and is a "proper bloke" in the words of McCarthy,but he really isn't a very good footballer imo.
The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 17:08 - Oct 21 with 3491 viewswarkthisway

The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 16:55 - Oct 21 by blueislander

The fact that Chambers can be considered to be a Town legend shows how far we have sunk. He seems to care, and is a "proper bloke" in the words of McCarthy,but he really isn't a very good footballer imo.

Correct

bentnkuqi

The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 18:08 - Oct 21 with 3428 viewsKeno

not even Anal Lee?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 22:08 - Oct 21 with 3315 viewspatrickswell

Basically most of those who represented us with distinction under Mick. Honourable mentions to the likes of Jon Stead, Carlos Edwards, Connor Wickham, JET on his good days, Jimmy Bullard for 6 months.
The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 22:18 - Oct 21 with 3294 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Murphy and Bialkowski are the only two.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 22:51 - Oct 21 with 3249 viewsMelford

Chambers is probably the closest because he cares about the club as much as those old boys did, he's bought into it just like they did. He's not in their league as a footballer, not even in the same galaxy but we're not playing at that level anymore but through all the s*it he's always given 100%.Old school proper player.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 10:39 - Oct 25 with 3010 viewsThe_Last_Baron

The thing that has saddened me most about Marcus Evans ownership... on 22:51 - Oct 21 by Melford

Chambers is probably the closest because he cares about the club as much as those old boys did, he's bought into it just like they did. He's not in their league as a footballer, not even in the same galaxy but we're not playing at that level anymore but through all the s*it he's always given 100%.Old school proper player.

Have a word with yourself. He's an average Championship defender at best.

Mark Venus, McGreal, Mowbray, De Vos, McAuley all far superior defenders in the last 20 years.

A Town legend he isn't.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024