Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Manager Panic! 10:34 - Oct 22 with 7528 viewsjjblue84

Why is it that fans start squawking for the manager to be sacked in OCTOBER when a few results haven’t gone their way? 5 more goals and we’d be in the top half!! On such fine margins does the squawking begin for some...
Manager Panic! on 11:54 - Oct 22 with 2363 viewslazyblue

Why do you think?!

MM never had us in trouble but now we are certainly going down!
Manager Panic! on 12:09 - Oct 22 with 2348 viewsGuthrum

Manager Panic! on 11:52 - Oct 22 by jjblue84

The fact that form goes up and down for most team means it’s the most likely outcome...what would be strange is that if it DIDNT change...

But "form" doesn't just go up (and down) randomly for no reason. Especially at team level. It is founded on such things as injuries/suspensions, tactical breakthroughs (or being found out) and morale.

It also, in the main, does not trump organisation, tactical aptitude and overall skill. A rubbish team may occasionally beat a decent one, but generally speaking that is a rare outcome - usually down to a mistake or complacency.

The other thing is to rely on minor variations in form to save us is foolish, given the amount of improvement Town need to show in order to avoid disaster. It would need a significant and consistent up-turn for the whole of the remainder of the season to climb to safety. To go from accruing 0.7 points per game to more like 1.25 - an extra point every two matches.

You still haven't answered my question about 2012 (when we only had two fewer points at this stage).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Manager Panic! on 12:11 - Oct 22 with 2340 viewsGuthrum

Manager Panic! on 11:53 - Oct 22 by jjblue84

Hugely unlikely!!

Why?

We've barely had.... on 12:17 - Oct 22 with 2340 viewsBloots

...5 additional shots, let alone 5 additional goals.

We can't even get a free kick into the box, when most other teams would be hoping to score directly from it!

We play our 3rd choice centre back at right back and our second choice right back at left back!

We have absolutely no coherent plan or style, we change our formation 2 or 3 times during most matches!

Our players have always been of limited ability, mainly due to our spending policy, but we've never had a team that is so devoid of passion or commitment!

We are crap and going down!

Get your head out of the sand and start "squawking"

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Manager Panic! on 12:32 - Oct 22 with 2325 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

1 win in 14. Inept selections, inept tactics, inept transfer dealings, lack of identity.

Manager out of his depth, needs to go back to League 1 for a bit.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

We've barely had.... on 13:01 - Oct 22 with 2305 viewsYallop

We've barely had.... on 12:17 - Oct 22 by Bloots

...5 additional shots, let alone 5 additional goals.

We can't even get a free kick into the box, when most other teams would be hoping to score directly from it!

We play our 3rd choice centre back at right back and our second choice right back at left back!

We have absolutely no coherent plan or style, we change our formation 2 or 3 times during most matches!

Our players have always been of limited ability, mainly due to our spending policy, but we've never had a team that is so devoid of passion or commitment!

We are crap and going down!

Get your head out of the sand and start "squawking"

?? 'we've never had a team that is so devoid of passion or commitment!'

Paul Jewells side full of average loans was certainly that.
Manager Panic! on 13:12 - Oct 22 with 2286 viewsjjblue84

Manager Panic! on 12:09 - Oct 22 by Guthrum

But "form" doesn't just go up (and down) randomly for no reason. Especially at team level. It is founded on such things as injuries/suspensions, tactical breakthroughs (or being found out) and morale.

It also, in the main, does not trump organisation, tactical aptitude and overall skill. A rubbish team may occasionally beat a decent one, but generally speaking that is a rare outcome - usually down to a mistake or complacency.

The other thing is to rely on minor variations in form to save us is foolish, given the amount of improvement Town need to show in order to avoid disaster. It would need a significant and consistent up-turn for the whole of the remainder of the season to climb to safety. To go from accruing 0.7 points per game to more like 1.25 - an extra point every two matches.

You still haven't answered my question about 2012 (when we only had two fewer points at this stage).

However did Bobby Robson manage to stay up with a worse record at the start of his first full season? Thank god we didn’t have the Squawking Panickers then! Oh and don’t pretend to know how work actually works, if you knew that you would be a very rich man!!
Manager Panic! on 13:22 - Oct 22 with 2277 viewsGuthrum

Manager Panic! on 13:12 - Oct 22 by jjblue84

However did Bobby Robson manage to stay up with a worse record at the start of his first full season? Thank god we didn’t have the Squawking Panickers then! Oh and don’t pretend to know how work actually works, if you knew that you would be a very rich man!!

Depressing Sunday morning thought... by Guthrum 21 Oct 2018 9:33
Robson started badly in his first full season, yes (a draw and 6 losses). But before that he'd had nearly half a season in which we'd won 7 and drawn 6 out of 16 games, lifting Town from 18th to 12th in the table. He'd already proven he could do it.

Hurst hasn't.

Also, by this stage of the season, 13 League games in, Robson had followed it up with a run of three wins, two draws and a single loss. Plus at least getting to the second round of the League Cup.

I don't know how it works. But I do know how it doesn't work.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2018 13:35]

Login to get fewer ads

Manager Panic! on 13:23 - Oct 22 with 2269 viewsPJH

Manager Panic! on 13:12 - Oct 22 by jjblue84

Wrong again.

Although it was still two points for a win then rather than three we had 9 ponts after 13 league games in 1969/70 same as now but with three points for a win would have been 12.
Manager Panic! on 13:43 - Oct 22 with 2248 viewsGuthrum

Manager Panic! on 13:23 - Oct 22 by PJH

Wrong again.

Although it was still two points for a win then rather than three we had 9 ponts after 13 league games in 1969/70 same as now but with three points for a win would have been 12.

Which, with the GD of -7, would put us 20th in the current table, out of the relegation zone.

Manager Panic! on 14:02 - Oct 22 with 2223 viewsjjblue84

Manager Panic! on 13:23 - Oct 22 by PJH

Wrong again.

Ah, but that’s further through the season you’ve conviently counted for....
Manager Panic! on 14:07 - Oct 22 with 2213 viewsPJH

Manager Panic! on 14:02 - Oct 22 by jjblue84

Ah, but that’s further through the season you’ve conviently counted for....

I assumed that comparing 13 games with 13 games is a good comparison.

Tell me which ones you want discounted, the 3 wins perhaps?
Manager Panic! on 14:08 - Oct 22 with 2211 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

I've been positive and generally behind Hurst, saying that I think we should give him time and that I think we'll be fine. I hate to see managers getting the sack prematurely for the wrong reasons.

We've been served up another horrible taste of reality this weekend. The squad is poor and to have even a half decent season, Hurst needed to get everybody playing near to or at their best but he can't get it out of them, for whatever reason.

To my mind, we've now reached the point where sticking with Hurst will see us relegated.
We won't be fine.
Manager Panic! on 14:10 - Oct 22 with 2203 viewsjjblue84

Manager Panic! on 14:07 - Oct 22 by PJH

I assumed that comparing 13 games with 13 games is a good comparison.

Tell me which ones you want discounted, the 3 wins perhaps?

Not when the season is shorter sweetheart...do you need some help with the maths?
We've barely had.... on 14:12 - Oct 22 with 2198 viewsGeoffSentence

We've barely had.... on 13:01 - Oct 22 by Yallop

?? 'we've never had a team that is so devoid of passion or commitment!'

Paul Jewells side full of average loans was certainly that.

I dunno I can't see this side coming back from 2-0 down at half time to score 5 goals in the second half. One of PJs teams of loanees had the passion and commitment to do that.

Actually that's not entirely fair. This team might have enough about them to score 5 goals in the second half........of the season.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Manager Panic! on 14:13 - Oct 22 with 2193 viewsjjblue84

Manager Panic! on 13:22 - Oct 22 by Guthrum

Depressing Sunday morning thought... by Guthrum 21 Oct 2018 9:33
Robson started badly in his first full season, yes (a draw and 6 losses). But before that he'd had nearly half a season in which we'd won 7 and drawn 6 out of 16 games, lifting Town from 18th to 12th in the table. He'd already proven he could do it.

Hurst hasn't.

Also, by this stage of the season, 13 League games in, Robson had followed it up with a run of three wins, two draws and a single loss. Plus at least getting to the second round of the League Cup.

I don't know how it works. But I do know how it doesn't work.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2018 13:35]

It’s a good job that he remained in his post to achieve that then, after such a start to the season, hmm?
Manager Panic! on 14:29 - Oct 22 with 2172 viewsGeoffSentence

Manager Panic! on 14:13 - Oct 22 by jjblue84

It’s a good job that he remained in his post to achieve that then, after such a start to the season, hmm?

You didn't read that post properly did you.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Manager Panic! on 14:57 - Oct 22 with 2140 viewsbrazil1981

If Hurst stays we're going down...anyone who thinks otherwise is being delusional in my opinion!

Not saying a change of manager will save us but I think it's our only hope!

I supported his appointment and agree he's been hampered by big players leaving in the summmer...but sadly he does look hopelessly out of his depth I'm sorry to say!
Manager Panic! on 17:03 - Oct 22 with 2073 viewsjjblue84

Manager Panic! on 14:29 - Oct 22 by GeoffSentence

You didn't read that post properly did you.

Robson had had no previous success, unlike Hurst. But still there was no panic at the time! Must have been run by grown-ups...
Manager Panic! on 17:27 - Oct 22 with 2057 viewsJ4ck22

Manager Panic! on 17:03 - Oct 22 by jjblue84

Robson had had no previous success, unlike Hurst. But still there was no panic at the time! Must have been run by grown-ups...

I bet you also think we'd benefit from being relegated.
Manager Panic! on 17:54 - Oct 22 with 2050 viewsCurrie10

Here are some straws.

How many would you like to clutch?
Manager Panic! on 19:57 - Oct 22 with 2020 viewsjjblue84

Manager Panic! on 17:27 - Oct 22 by J4ck22

I bet you also think we'd benefit from being relegated.

Will it do real harm? Most of the Premier League clubs have been there more recently than us so its obviously not a long term issue...
Manager Panic! on 20:01 - Oct 22 with 2014 viewsGuthrum

Manager Panic! on 17:03 - Oct 22 by jjblue84

Robson had four months of success at Ipswich, in the First Division, under his belt by the beginning of 1969-70. He'd shown he could do it, at the club and level required.

Manager Panic! on 20:03 - Oct 22 with 2013 viewsPositivelyPortman

Manager Panic! on 11:05 - Oct 22 by Guthrum

Which leaves us 70% of the season to get probably 80% of the points we will need to barely survive in this division. We're already behind the curve.

Look, I'm an eternal optimist. I defended McCarthy to the hilt, Jewell and even Keane. But I can't see any sign that Hurst really knows how to turn things around. If we'd kicked on from Swansea (or the second half against Brentford), then there might be cause for hope. But we've fallen straight back again - despite him having just had two weeks clear to drill and prepare the squad.

Weren’t QPR drilling their squad too?

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Manager Panic! on 20:05 - Oct 22 with 2012 viewsGuthrum

Manager Panic! on 14:10 - Oct 22 by jjblue84

Not when the season is shorter sweetheart...do you need some help with the maths?

Not that much shorter.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024