Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blue Through & Through 15:20 - Oct 22 with 3956 viewsBrixtonBlue

If we are to change manager, Evans needs to try something he hasn’t tried yet.

We’ve tried younger managers (Keane, Hurst), we’ve tried the old experienced heads (Jewell, McCarthy).

Now I believe we need a management team that will unite the club from top to bottom, that know what it is to be Ipswich, that have a real passion for the club, that EVERY supporter would get behind, but also that would be respected by the players, that would get the players fighting for them and themselves.

The tag line for the marketing would be Blue, Through & Through - which would not only reflect the management team and the joined up thinking throughout the club, but would also tug on the heartstrings of every true Ipswich supporter: come and support us if you’re Blue Through & Through.

That management team would be George Burley, assisted by Terry Butcher and Kieron Dyer.

The pros:

All 3 know the club inside out. They all watch almost every game and so know the players, and more importantly know what’s going wrong. There would be no ‘getting up to speed’ period.

Burley has done it before. He has the experience. He knows what is needed, knows the types of players we need, knows how to get the best out of limited players - because he’s already done it. And with quality football.

The stay aways would, I believe, flood back. This is a management team they really could support. It would tug on the heartstrings (the management team on one front and questioning if you’re blue through and through on the other as well) so Portman Road would be rocking, which in turn helps the team.

You’d have a ready-made replacement for the future after Burley in Kieron. And imagine him working with our midfielders, imparting his knowledge of the game.

When it comes to defensive knowledge, who better than Butcher? He’s done it for England. A true leader… epitomised in our current captain who also shows the ‘blue through and through’ characteristics of desire and passion for the club.

With limited funds and a limited current squad we need something extra. Something money can’t buy. People might scoff at nostalgia but it has it’s place. It is a legitimate tool. It would give us an edge that other clubs don’t have.

Also, due to limited funds as much as anything, we need to use the youth. Kieron has been coaching the youth. And Burley has a proven track record of bringing through the youth. Darren Bent recently described Burley as the best manager he’s ever worked with, when he was a youth.

In terms of uniting the fans, the marketing of Blue Through & Through would work at every level. It would be a rallying call. Young fans would want to join this movement to show they are blue through and through. The OAPs, I’d immediately restore their discounted season tickets because no-one’s more blue through and through than them. I’d feature supporters who have Ipswich tattoos to show they’re blue through and through - and encourage more! I’d get local businesses involved - show you’re blue through and through. Discounts for ST holders etc. Get the whole town pulling in the same direction.

Our stadium announcer is blue through and through. These are the sorts of people we need and would make more of. Even our very own Phil Ham - Blue Through & Through.

And it would be the perfect appointment for Evans too - totally taking the heat off him, uniting everyone AND would be relatively cheap compared to pretty much every other option.

The cons:

Burley’s been out of the game for a while. Is this so relevant though? He probably still has loads of contacts throughout the game and he certainly won’t have forgotten how to man-manage and coach. We could keep the sports science team in place. Kieron has worked on his coaching badges recently, so if there ARE new-fangled ways of coaching that could be used, he’ll be up to speed.

Knowledge of lower leagues - you couldn’t ask for much more in that department with Hurst and where has that got us? Meanwhile Farke up the road had no knowledge of them but he seems to have done alright.

It might not work and would sour our memories of 3 greats. We are so desperate now, I’m not sure how much of an issue that would be anymore. If they couldn’t save us we’d thank them for their efforts. None of what we have now is of their doing.

I just think with Blue Through & Through and 3 Ipswich legends at the helm we have little to lose (that we haven’t lost already), and so much potentially to gain.

I’m Blue Through & Through. Are you?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

on 15:48 - Oct 22 with 2593 views_

Blue Through & Through on 15:55 - Oct 22 with 2573 viewsBrixtonBlue

on 15:48 - Oct 22 by _

Just a temporary visit. I was snoozing on my sofa and all that OP came to me in a dream/daydream. Might be a load of old bobbins, I dunno, but I felt compelled to write it all down.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

on 16:00 - Oct 22 with 2555 views_

Blue Through & Through on 15:55 - Oct 22 by BrixtonBlue

Just a temporary visit. I was snoozing on my sofa and all that OP came to me in a dream/daydream. Might be a load of old bobbins, I dunno, but I felt compelled to write it all down.

Blue Through & Through on 16:03 - Oct 22 with 2546 viewsitfcjoe

I think there is some sense in this, but think personnel might be wrong.

Dyer is the assistant for the U18s currently - Hogg is now 1st team coach, Nash U23s manager, Atay U18s manager - all 3 have earned the right ahead of Keiron and would feel aggrieved if Dyer jumps ahead surely

The following are employed and working in the academy - Klug, Geraint Williams, Gerard Nash, Chris Hogg, Atay, Dyer and think it should come from inside that lot - maybe finding room for Burley in some role too?

Who knows, I'm just rambling

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Blue Through & Through on 16:05 - Oct 22 with 2528 viewsfooters

What's Fab up to these days?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Blue Through & Through on 16:06 - Oct 22 with 2528 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Blue Through & Through on 16:03 - Oct 22 by itfcjoe

Dyer is the assistant for the U18s currently - Hogg is now 1st team coach, Nash U23s manager, Atay U18s manager - all 3 have earned the right ahead of Keiron and would feel aggrieved if Dyer jumps ahead surely

The following are employed and working in the academy - Klug, Geraint Williams, Gerard Nash, Chris Hogg, Atay, Dyer and think it should come from inside that lot - maybe finding room for Burley in some role too?

I also think the credentials of Nash far exceed those of Kieron.

I would support Nash as manager with Burley and Butcher on board to help/advise.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

on 16:06 - Oct 22 with 2526 views_

Blue Through & Through on 16:07 - Oct 22 with 2520 viewsMoriarty

on 16:00 - Oct 22 by _

I think our manager looks resigned to relegation as well. Didn’t he remind us after QPR that we were favorites to go down at the start of the season?

fka omuircheartaigh

Login to get fewer ads

Blue Through & Through on 16:10 - Oct 22 with 2503 viewsBrixtonBlue

on 16:00 - Oct 22 by _

I largely agree with you there, although I'm not sure I'd send those you mention home. I'd certainly keep Pennington but I would like to see Woolfy out there. Donacian hasn't done a lot wrong when he's actually played at right back. Edun has looked exciting to me but seems to have disappeared (I'd have him and Nydam vying for a spot).

Good point about Lankaster... I'd argue similar with Morris too before he was shipped out. Right old mess isn't it?

on 16:10 - Oct 22 with 2501 views_

Blue Through & Through on 16:07 - Oct 22 by Moriarty

I think our manager looks resigned to relegation as well. Didn’t he remind us after QPR that we were favorites to go down at the start of the season?

Blue Through & Through on 16:10 - Oct 22 with 2502 viewsIllinoisblue

The stay aways would, I believe, flood back. LOL

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

on 16:17 - Oct 22 with 2485 views_

Blue Through & Through on 16:10 - Oct 22 by BrixtonBlue

I largely agree with you there, although I'm not sure I'd send those you mention home. I'd certainly keep Pennington but I would like to see Woolfy out there. Donacian hasn't done a lot wrong when he's actually played at right back. Edun has looked exciting to me but seems to have disappeared (I'd have him and Nydam vying for a spot).

Good point about Lankaster... I'd argue similar with Morris too before he was shipped out. Right old mess isn't it?

Blue Through & Through on 16:20 - Oct 22 with 2467 viewsReuser_is_God

Burley is absolutely perfect for a DoF role at ITFC.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Blue Through & Through on 16:21 - Oct 22 with 2462 viewsFrimleyBlue

I don't understand what Evans saw in Hurst to make him the prime managerial target.

Hurst wasn't linked with any championship jobs. Yet he was seen as our number 1 target all summer. Why?

He struggled in the latter part of the season. There were questions over his style and there were examples of him and fans not seeing eye to eye.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

on 16:21 - Oct 22 with 2460 views_

Blue Through & Through on 16:20 - Oct 22 by Reuser_is_God

Blue Through & Through on 16:23 - Oct 22 with 2446 viewsJ2BLUE

The job is a poisoned chalice under Evans. I don't want to see three legends thrown under the bus. It would end badly. We have a growing section of supporters who take pride in turning early and even those three wouldn't be immune. It's a massive no from me.

I'd rather we gave Nash a chance. He's apparently highly rated and seems to be ready for a management job somewhere.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Blue Through & Through on 16:23 - Oct 22 with 2449 viewsReuser_is_God

Blue Through & Through on 16:21 - Oct 22 by FrimleyBlue

I don't understand what Evans saw in Hurst to make him the prime managerial target.

Hurst wasn't linked with any championship jobs. Yet he was seen as our number 1 target all summer. Why?

He struggled in the latter part of the season. There were questions over his style and there were examples of him and fans not seeing eye to eye.

"I don't understand what Evans saw in Hurst to make him the prime managerial target."

Come off it pal.

If you had a manger rock up to Frimley with the win % Hurst had over 500ish games you'd be interested.

I wasn’t overly thrilled when his name was first mentioned but you really couldn't argue with his previous.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2018 17:30]

Evans out

Blue Through & Through on 16:25 - Oct 22 with 2432 viewsReuser_is_God

on 16:21 - Oct 22 by _

To be honest if Evans can't take criticism from former players who made this club what it is he can fcuk off.

As for power struggles etc I don't think the Burley/Hogg relationship would be an issue, Burley would just want to do whatever is right for the club. Clearly Hogg is progressing with GB not involved anyway so he has something about him.

Evans out

Blue Through & Through on 16:26 - Oct 22 with 2423 viewsitfcjoe

Blue Through & Through on 16:20 - Oct 22 by Reuser_is_God

I think he'd want to get back involved day to day, would be a threat as a DoF.

Dave Bowman is excellent in the transfer market, with great contacts and has the job title Director of Football - we could do a lot worse than actually make him one formally with a wider range of responsibilities

Blue Through & Through on 16:28 - Oct 22 with 2409 viewsMoriarty

on 16:10 - Oct 22 by _

We certainly need a new manager.

I heard, some time ago, that the real damage of Roy Keane’s legacy was to significantly dampen ME’s enthusiasm. I’m not sure if it’s true of course but the source was good (imho)!

GB gets my vote. I’m mindful there are those who disagree, including those whose views I respect. But his association with our club is what we need.

Renewal.

fka omuircheartaigh

Blue Through & Through on 16:29 - Oct 22 with 2406 viewsitfcjoe

No need to rewrite history - Hurst had an excellent record and nearly worked an absolute miracle at Swansea last season.

Their points total would've been enough to go straight up nearly every season but were so unfortunate that they had 2 excellent sides in the league in Blackurn and Wigan - plus he took them to a cup final.

On paper it was a very good appointment, but it has been managed badly by Evans giving them free reign to come in and rip it up

Blue Through & Through on 16:29 - Oct 22 with 2404 viewsdavblue

This is just a stupid post.

It might not have worked out but he had a solid CV.
Blue Through & Through on 16:29 - Oct 22 with 2400 viewsFrimleyBlue

Blue Through & Through on 16:23 - Oct 22 by Reuser_is_God

"I don't understand what Evans saw in Hurst to make him the prime managerial target."

Come off it pal.

If you had a manger rock up to Frimley with the win % Hurst had over 500ish games you'd be interested.

I wasn’t overly thrilled when his name was first mentioned but you really couldn't argue with his previous.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2018 17:30]

I wouldnt though mate. The championship is a much tougher league than any of his previous and honestly it would have been to much of a gamble for me.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Blue Through & Through on 16:29 - Oct 22 with 2397 viewschicoazul

Am I mad or does Burley strongly dislike Evans?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Blue Through & Through on 16:29 - Oct 22 with 2398 viewsReuser_is_God

Blue Through & Through on 16:26 - Oct 22 by itfcjoe

I think he'd want to get back involved day to day, would be a threat as a DoF.

Dave Bowman is excellent in the transfer market, with great contacts and has the job title Director of Football - we could do a lot worse than actually make him one formally with a wider range of responsibilities

Does he want to be back in day to day on the training ground though? I'm not sure he would but I'm guessing you may know different?

I'd just love him back in any capacity to be honest.

Evans out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024