Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? 00:20 - Oct 23 with 4401 viewsunstableblue

It’s 2018?!

The environment needs trillions of dollars of ‘investment’ to halt global warming, stop air and plastics pollution, save marine life, endangered species, and to make a shift to population stabilisation not growth.

And yet we’re looking at a new build up of nuclear warheads..... crazy days people.

Ironically as the population creaks and the world struggles to sustain mankind.. the friction between nations who remain focussed on their own health not the worlds - may lead to these weapons actually being used!!

Has Marcus Evans been hiring the UN leadership team recently??

[Post edited 23 Oct 2018 0:26]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 00:29 - Oct 23 with 2519 viewsJ2BLUE

Weren't they only limited to enough nukes to destroy the world several times over anyway?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 01:30 - Oct 23 with 2501 viewsjjblue84

It’s just Trump’s way of renegotiating with the real threat to world peace, China.
Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 02:59 - Oct 23 with 2483 viewsrapier

"History Does Not Repeat Itself, But It Rhymes"

So, maybe wiping out a third of the worlds population would be the solution to global warming!

Maybe,
Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 02:59 - Oct 23 with 2476 viewsunstableblue

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 01:30 - Oct 23 by jjblue84

It’s just Trump’s way of renegotiating with the real threat to world peace, China.

To be honest my post wasn’t really a Trump* centric rant; this is more about humanity in general. What a sad state of affairs.

Having been to Hiroshima and seen what a a very low powered weapon of this type can do - it’s just mind boggling that we’re still maintain and manufacture these things - 2000c blast heat, 80,000 instantly killed, black radioactive rain 30mins after blast, 130,000 killed from radiation.

* Trumps isolationist and confrontational agenda clearly won’t help things. His idiotic act of the day was to tweet there are middle eastern terrorists in the asylum convoy, to make Americans HATE that group. And no doubt there are unsavoury characters in the group. But the majority are genuine. As are most refugees. Trump will do well in the mid-terms - and what a message to the world.

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 03:18 - Oct 23 with 2454 viewsrapier

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 02:59 - Oct 23 by unstableblue

To be honest my post wasn’t really a Trump* centric rant; this is more about humanity in general. What a sad state of affairs.

Having been to Hiroshima and seen what a a very low powered weapon of this type can do - it’s just mind boggling that we’re still maintain and manufacture these things - 2000c blast heat, 80,000 instantly killed, black radioactive rain 30mins after blast, 130,000 killed from radiation.

* Trumps isolationist and confrontational agenda clearly won’t help things. His idiotic act of the day was to tweet there are middle eastern terrorists in the asylum convoy, to make Americans HATE that group. And no doubt there are unsavoury characters in the group. But the majority are genuine. As are most refugees. Trump will do well in the mid-terms - and what a message to the world.

"As are most refugees"

Sorry but are they? walking 3000 miles through two safe countries.

I have also been to Hiroshima, lived there for about a year, and honestly the death toll would have be many fold more had the US invaded mainland Japan at the end of the second world war.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki stand as a warning to the world "powers" as, to, just how destructive we have become as humans, we are still living with the MAD doctrine, and it is maybe the only way, as things stand, sadly.
Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 04:33 - Oct 23 with 2420 viewsunstableblue

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 03:18 - Oct 23 by rapier

"As are most refugees"

I have also been to Hiroshima, lived there for about a year, and honestly the death toll would have be many fold more had the US invaded mainland Japan at the end of the second world war.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki stand as a warning to the world "powers" as, to, just how destructive we have become as humans, we are still living with the MAD doctrine, and it is maybe the only way, as things stand, sadly.

I think you read that wrong - I meant refugees in general. Demonising them as a generic group doesn’t help, better an informed argument on what is causing them to leave their home country.

I understand why economic migrants get negatively portrayed. We want to protect our own job markets, and in amongst them may be bad individuals.

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 06:32 - Oct 23 with 2378 viewsunstableblue

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 03:18 - Oct 23 by rapier

"As are most refugees"

On another note the assertion that the two a-bombs ended the war with Japan is perhaps a little simplistic and probably incorrect.
Many historians, senior US officials who opposed their use and Japanese officials assert they had already sued for peace or were ready. And with Russia planned via the Potsdam conference to enter the war Japan would definitely have surrendered if negotiations were managed more effectively (token emperor system)

Many theories also abound that they were actually dropped to test potency and to fire the first warning shots at the Soviet Union. Bit conspiracy theory for me. But it is a know fact that a peace process ironically via Russia had been followed then no bombs would have been dropped and the US senior leaders were very uncomfortable about Japan / Russia relations.

But would agree that the US/Japan pact that grew from that early
paranoia of communist Russia; strengthens further on the unchecked nuclear power that is China. And how sad it is that Japan wishes now to change their constitution!

I blame McCarthys non-football style.

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 07:21 - Oct 23 with 2348 viewsjjblue84

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 02:59 - Oct 23 by unstableblue

The point of having these weapons of mass destruction is that you don’t use them, and stop others starting wars.
Login to get fewer ads

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:05 - Oct 23 with 2313 viewsGeoffSentence

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 01:30 - Oct 23 by jjblue84

It's more than that. For once I can see the logic in what he is doing. For years, even under the Obama administration, they have identified that the Russians have been cheating on the agreement. The US believe so, NATO believes so and UK security forces agree.

Starting from the premise that you are in a two way agreement in which the other side is, or at least you believe that the other side is cheating, what is the logic in sticking with it.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:09 - Oct 23 with 2308 viewsjjblue84

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:05 - Oct 23 by GeoffSentence

It's more than that. For once I can see the logic in what he is doing. For years, even under the Obama administration, they have identified that the Russians have been cheating on the agreement. The US believe so, NATO believes so and UK security forces agree.

Starting from the premise that you are in a two way agreement in which the other side is, or at least you believe that the other side is cheating, what is the logic in sticking with it.

And the Russian are pretending to be mildly shocked, which is amusing! But the funny thing is nobody seems to have noticed that the USSR broke up in 1991!!
Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:14 - Oct 23 with 2292 viewsGeoffSentence

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 00:29 - Oct 23 by J2BLUE

Weren't they only limited to enough nukes to destroy the world several times over anyway?

I have spent some enjoyable Sunday afternoons over the last few weeks watching some old nuclear war scenario documentaries on youtube, all very enlightening.

Even with a relatively small nuclear exchange, the sort that India and Pakistan could initiate if they wanted, the world would suffer a nuclear winter that would lead to the vast majority of the world starving to death and the entire collapse of civlisation.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:15 - Oct 23 with 2282 viewsKeno

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:14 - Oct 23 by GeoffSentence

I have spent some enjoyable Sunday afternoons over the last few weeks watching some old nuclear war scenario documentaries on youtube, all very enlightening.

Even with a relatively small nuclear exchange, the sort that India and Pakistan could initiate if they wanted, the world would suffer a nuclear winter that would lead to the vast majority of the world starving to death and the entire collapse of civlisation.

to be fair J2's cooking could have a similar effect

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:16 - Oct 23 with 2282 viewsunstableblue

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 02:59 - Oct 23 by rapier

So, maybe wiping out a third of the worlds population would be the solution to global warming!

Maybe,

I was thinking we’d need a Moonraker solution to save the planet... you know crazed Oligarch builds secret space station, wipes out failing global society with orchid derived poisonous gas...

... perhaps this is why Marcus Evans is not investing enough in the squad... his Cornish mansion is akin to a French Chateau filed with super models and Jaws

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:16 - Oct 23 with 2277 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:14 - Oct 23 by GeoffSentence

At least we would have an excuse for the demise of ITFC!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:22 - Oct 23 with 2270 viewsGuthrum

In what way is China a threat to world peace which will be solved by increasing the number of US and (expansionist) Russian intermediate-range (500 to 5,500km) nuclear weapons, the ones designed specifically for a war in Europe?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:25 - Oct 23 with 2256 viewsunstableblue

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 07:21 - Oct 23 by jjblue84

The point of having these weapons of mass destruction is that you don’t use them, and stop others starting wars.

Oh that old chesnut!!!

I refer you to my earlier point... as the fragile biosphere creaks under the growing population, as hate filled politicians become deemed a route to success at the ballot, as disparate cultures clash and nuclear technology proliferates... then that becomes weaker and weaker as an argument.

How about peace? How about coming together not fracturing... how about disarmament?

It’s 2018?!? I thought the internet was supposed to fix all this.

Now it’s just trolling and hate filled bollox.

We need another summer of love and protest... are you with me?

Sadly on 08:25 - Oct 23 with 2257 viewsGuthrum

I can see the Central American refugee column situation ending up with some sort of massacre at the US border when they try to force their way across.

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:28 - Oct 23 with 2249 viewsjjblue84

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:22 - Oct 23 by Guthrum

In what way is China a threat to world peace which will be solved by increasing the number of US and (expansionist) Russian intermediate-range (500 to 5,500km) nuclear weapons, the ones designed specifically for a war in Europe?

Now there's a beautiful presupposition!!
Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:30 - Oct 23 with 2240 viewsStokieBlue

Idiocy from all sides but Trump does have a morsel of a point here. Russia developed new methods of delivering nukes designed to evade US defences and Putin announced them to a rousing home reception last year.

Withdrawing from the treaty isn't the way to address that though.

On a side point, all nuclear weapon design is done inside supercomputers, they have probably both been doing it all along, they just don't build the new warheads. What they have is more that sufficient to do enough damage although I don't see it ever coming to that, sensible heads on both sides beneath the premierships would prevail I hope.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:31 - Oct 23 with 2235 viewsSwansea_Blue

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 02:59 - Oct 23 by rapier

Maybe,

First we had a crash, caused by a banker
Now the POTUS is an utter w*anker.

Oh yeah, I see what you mean.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:32 - Oct 23 with 2231 viewsjjblue84

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:25 - Oct 23 by unstableblue

Oh that old chesnut!!!

I refer you to my earlier point... as the fragile biosphere creaks under the growing population, as hate filled politicians become deemed a route to success at the ballot, as disparate cultures clash and nuclear technology proliferates... then that becomes weaker and weaker as an argument.

How about peace? How about coming together not fracturing... how about disarmament?

It’s 2018?!? I thought the internet was supposed to fix all this.

Now it’s just trolling and hate filled bollox.

We need another summer of love and protest... are you with me?

Maybe it's the summer of love that has stopped people thinking about the problems and instead think it can all be solved by dreaming, smoking and having sex...oh dear!!
Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:34 - Oct 23 with 2225 viewschicoazul

Trump is probably right that the Russians and Chinese havent been keeping to their side of the bargain though.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:35 - Oct 23 with 2215 viewschicoazul

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 04:33 - Oct 23 by unstableblue

I think you read that wrong - I meant refugees in general. Demonising them as a generic group doesn’t help, better an informed argument on what is causing them to leave their home country.

I understand why economic migrants get negatively portrayed. We want to protect our own job markets, and in amongst them may be bad individuals.

Are the people in the caravan refugees or economic migrants?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:42 - Oct 23 with 2196 viewsGuthrum

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:28 - Oct 23 by jjblue84

Now there's a beautiful presupposition!!

Those are the specific weapons limited in the treaty which the USA is considering withdrawing from. Not ICBMs with the range to hit China.

And if the 'presupposition' bit refers to '(expansionist) Russia', then have they not recently absorbed the Crimea, supported secessionist rebellions in Georgia and Ukraine, been covertly meddling in the Balkans?

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:49 - Oct 23 with 2179 viewsjjblue84

Are we really going to start a new Nuclear arms race?? on 08:42 - Oct 23 by Guthrum

Those are the specific weapons limited in the treaty which the USA is considering withdrawing from. Not ICBMs with the range to hit China.

And if the 'presupposition' bit refers to '(expansionist) Russia', then have they not recently absorbed the Crimea, supported secessionist rebellions in Georgia and Ukraine, been covertly meddling in the Balkans?

Yes, the treaty which both sides say the other isn't abiding by! So you can read into that whatever you like...

Ah, so you'd like to discuss the amount of land that's changed hands between the EU and Moscow since the fall of the Soviet Union, eh?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024