Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When did your PH seeds of doubts start? 13:21 - Oct 24 with 12862 viewsartsbossbeard

I wasn't overly impressed with the warm up v Braintree. They looked the pro club and not us BUT a mate of mine WhatsApp'ed the group 15 mins into the season opener saying the set up is all wrong, he doesn't know what he is doing and he's got to go. Beat that.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 13:26 - Oct 24 with 6271 viewsSteve_M

When Webster was sold, it seemed an odd move given the balance of the squad (I know people who claim this was ME's decision rather than Hurst's btw).

Benefit of the doubt very much with Hurst but serious question marks over the performance against Blackburn and the total absence of goal threat against a very poor Rotherham team but, at that point, there was still evidence of what Hurst wanted to do and was for the next few matches.

The failure to take any benefit from the first international break is the big problem, compounded by a total lack of goal threat and the ability to play for more than 20 minutes at a time. Despite the Swansea win there is no sense of progress or of anything being built now,

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 13:27 - Oct 24 with 6267 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

1. Probably that interview with Chambers, nothing concrete, but it seemed like all was not well. I tried to stick up for PH and give him the benefit of the doubt.
2. The number of loan signings.... that has never been a good route for us in terms of volume.

To be fair, I have tried to back him, and I'd love him to succeed, but theres nothing really to suggest things will change for the better.

...finally I didnt like what he said about 'lots of things need to be changed at the club'.

...sounded very Keano like, and it took us years to unpick his changes!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 13:28 - Oct 24 with 6251 viewsReuser_is_God

I didn't go to any of the pre season games but was excited about this high press that had been apparent during this time by those who did attend. I left the Blackburn game wondering what they had been going on about as there was no real evidence of it on that day but gave him the benefit of the doubt. We then signed another batch of lower league players who deserved us to be patient with them & allow them some time to bed in. There were small signs in the early performances that did provide encouragement.

I started to really worry after the Hull game, a game which we'd had 2 weeks to prepare for but conceded 2 woeful goals & offer next to no threat going forwards. This was repeated again on Saturday against QPR which is when I realised I now have zero faith & this manager, & playing squad, to get us out of this mess.

I'm still really angry about Saturday.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 13:29 - Oct 24 with 6229 viewsKieran_Knows

When he loaned Nydam out. Absurd decision.

EDIT - I know that's not necessarily a performance related doubt that many will have, but I still find myself scratching my head over that decision. It was then I realised he wasn't up to the job given what ME had said in his interview and PH had said in his earlier interviews when he first got the job.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2018 13:32]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 13:33 - Oct 24 with 6194 viewsElephantintheRoom

Serious doubts about his character when he was clearly talking to Evans prior to Shrewsbury's play off final. Shrewsbury's woeful performance in the final was another early indication of his overhyped abilities, but it was Hurst's arrogant attitude on arrival which clearly alienated established players and staff which was a very early indication that he was completely unsuitable. Having said that, who can make a go of a job with no in-house support, knowing that any sellable assets will be sold.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

on 13:33 - Oct 24 with 6177 views_

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 13:38 - Oct 24 with 6141 viewsSuperfrans

There were causes for concern in the first game or two, but it would have been nuts to really have too many doubts about Hurst at that point because he'd had so little time with the team, we still had several weeks to reinforce the squad before the end of the window etc.

For me, the key moment was after the first international break, two weeks after we'd looked decent vs Norwich, when we were utterly abysmal at Hull. It was quite clear then that progress had stalled, we were going backwards and Hurst was showing signs of not knowing how to pull us out of the decline.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 13:41 - Oct 24 with 6110 viewsReuser_is_God

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 13:33 - Oct 24 by ElephantintheRoom

Serious doubts about his character when he was clearly talking to Evans prior to Shrewsbury's play off final. Shrewsbury's woeful performance in the final was another early indication of his overhyped abilities, but it was Hurst's arrogant attitude on arrival which clearly alienated established players and staff which was a very early indication that he was completely unsuitable. Having said that, who can make a go of a job with no in-house support, knowing that any sellable assets will be sold.

I watched 3 games of Hurst Shrewsbury side:

West Ham (H) FA Cup 1st game
Charlton (A) PO Semi 1st leg
Rotherham PO Final

The cup game against West Ham was just a typical lower league side against a Prem side. Bare in mind I wasn't watching this with the thought that Hurst could take over at ITFC.

The 1st leg PO Semi against Charlton was as good of an away performance you'll see in a game of that magnitude. Defended manfully (bodies on the line, goal line clearances, blocks etc) & were a huge threat on the counter. Massively impressed with them & Hurst that night.

PO Final they were nothing short of woeful. Biggest game in the clubs history & they didn't turn up.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 13:46 - Oct 24 with 6070 viewsWeirdFishes

For me the Blackburn game, I thought were poor and lucky to come away with a point against a league one side.

Obviously I wasn't deciding he wasn't good enough at this stage but the seed was certainly planted.

FWIW it was the Bolton game at home where I decided he has to go.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 13:47 - Oct 24 with 6056 viewsSwansea_Blue

Have to admit there were a few warning signs in the summer, but I wasn't going to jump up and down and shout about them. Just a few things he said sounded a bit off to me, can't really remember the specifics though and they're probably not important.

I still want him to do well though, who wouldn't?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 13:54 - Oct 24 with 6011 viewsDarth_Koont

I only saw the West Ham pre-season game (which was as slow-paced as a friendly can be) so Blackburn.

I didn't see much of the high-press, high-tempo approach but put it down to first game and how the match played out. Saw it for a flash in the first 20 minutes at Rotherham and then rarely if ever after that. That's the biggest concern: we either can't play this way or we're actually playing this stretched-out, slower football by design.

I think confidence certainly might play a part but we've now just got to find a way past that and get points.

Pronouns: He/Him

When I saw Jordan Roberts play.... on 13:54 - Oct 24 with 6005 viewsBloots

....in pre season.

Think it was Barnet.

He barely looked like a semi pro.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 13:55 - Oct 24 with 6012 viewsitfcjoe

When I saw the teamsheet for Norwich I was massively worried, he looked as though he'd lost his bottle on what he was trying to do.

I excused it as it was a local derby and then went to Hull and was really worried; and then I saw the starting line up vs Brentford. And after that night the stuff I'd been hearing behind scenes really intensified and was unable to turn a blind eye to them coupled with what was now happening on the pitch.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 13:55 - Oct 24 with 5995 viewsFrimleyBlue

May 9th 2018 when he was mentioned as odds on favourite for the job

Said at the time I wasn't keen, to much of a Mini Mick but without the experience.
Shrewbury for all their success, struggled to score goals and I didn't feel that those tight scorelines and attempts at goal per game would be enough in this division to win games.
Hurst teams were always based on fitness, yet in this league teams are smarter, and fitness doesn't = wins. Mick even used to say we had the fittest team in the league via stats.

[Post edited 24 Oct 2018 13:58]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 13:56 - Oct 24 with 5990 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 13:54 - Oct 24 by Darth_Koont

I only saw the West Ham pre-season game (which was as slow-paced as a friendly can be) so Blackburn.

I didn't see much of the high-press, high-tempo approach but put it down to first game and how the match played out. Saw it for a flash in the first 20 minutes at Rotherham and then rarely if ever after that. That's the biggest concern: we either can't play this way or we're actually playing this stretched-out, slower football by design.

I think confidence certainly might play a part but we've now just got to find a way past that and get points.

It also seems like his past success has been built on Nolan and Nsiala being stand out performers at Grimsby and Shrewsbury, and thats clearly not the case here.

Without them controlling matches he seems devoid of ideas.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 13:59 - Oct 24 with 5952 viewsFrimleyBlue

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 13:55 - Oct 24 by FrimleyBlue

May 9th 2018 when he was mentioned as odds on favourite for the job

Said at the time I wasn't keen, to much of a Mini Mick but without the experience.
Shrewbury for all their success, struggled to score goals and I didn't feel that those tight scorelines and attempts at goal per game would be enough in this division to win games.
Hurst teams were always based on fitness, yet in this league teams are smarter, and fitness doesn't = wins. Mick even used to say we had the fittest team in the league via stats.

[Post edited 24 Oct 2018 13:58]

Libs, you down arrow, why? he asked when did it start. I'm being honest and you all know I;ve been against it way before he officially joined.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 14:01 - Oct 24 with 5943 viewsGuthrum

When we went game after game without winning. When team selections went haywire from Norwich on.

But the real turning points were the Brentford second half being followed by Bolton, the second half at Brum, the feebleness against Boro and when Swansea was followed by QPR.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 14:03 - Oct 24 with 5937 viewsJakeITFC

Joe posted this thread in the summer:
Current ITFC squad by JakeITFC 13 Jul 2018 15:16
It’s absolutely screaming relegation battle to me, Hurst’s first job is to make four really good first team signings (and it’s worrying that we haven’t got any further with that).

And I said we should be worried if we didn't improve that squad.

We in fact managed to make it quite a lot worse.
When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 14:04 - Oct 24 with 5918 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I was a bit concerned in pre-season when he started calling out some of the squad, and with the general direction the squad was headed, but was happy to give the benefit of the doubt based on his past record

Early results then increased that, but it was when he suddenly abandoned everything he’d tried to do against Norwich and subsequently Hull that was the tipping point for me - mainly the latter as we were half decent for spells in the Norwich game

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 14:15 - Oct 24 with 5861 viewshype313

Wasn't overly sold on his arrival, found his confidence borderlined arrogance. Think he said something along the lines of the step up isn't an issue as managing is managing, that's come back to bite him.

However, I thought give him the benefit, never know it could be a masterstroke, however, as we have seen its been a car crash, and one many of us probably thought would happen upon his arrival.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 14:31 - Oct 24 with 5757 viewstextbackup

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 13:29 - Oct 24 by Kieran_Knows

When he loaned Nydam out. Absurd decision.

EDIT - I know that's not necessarily a performance related doubt that many will have, but I still find myself scratching my head over that decision. It was then I realised he wasn't up to the job given what ME had said in his interview and PH had said in his earlier interviews when he first got the job.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2018 13:32]

Yep, but for me it was woolfenden, didn’t want to moan because I’d had enough of that previously, but couldn’t believe it

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 14:54 - Oct 24 with 5669 viewsmarchy

The bizarre dogged blundering after Curtis Tilt and Kayden Jackson having already laid out heavily on lower-league "potential".
[Post edited 24 Oct 2018 14:55]
When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 14:54 - Oct 24 with 5658 viewsOsborneOneNil

First worry/WTF was reading the Town line up for Norwich whilst approaching the ground. Bart dropped, and 5/6 changes.

I was worried after the Hull game, but have tried to keep the faith.

The QPR game has been a massive blow, for me. The result v Swansea proved to be a huge false dawn, of sorts. QPR was the perfect game to move to 2 wins, 2 on the bounce, first home win etc. We were shocking and were 'hammered' 0-2 by a bang average side.

I would still love him to turn it around, for it to suddenly click, but I think there is more chance of me playing in goal for Town than that happening. This then also leads to a slight panic that if/when he goes, we are bottom, with an average squad that lacks goals, and who keep making huge errors and conceding.

Interesting few months ahead.
When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 15:16 - Oct 24 with 5571 viewsBluearmy71

Six maybe 7 games ago, when I started to see just how disjointed our players were with one another, the whole lack of understanding of what individual players are meant to be doing under PH instructions and the down right stupidity of sticking with one up front, we could all see its not working and isn't going to work not in this league at any rate!

Another key point was PH bemoaning the quality in the team, so fair enough those who were sold wanted to go but he still should have looked at the better quality players out there or stuck with our better quality youngsters!

It breaks my heart to see us play some of the worst football I have ever seen in my 35 years of watching town! But as we all know proper funding of our managers would see us improve greatly, there does seem a real lack of ambition from the very top and that is never good for any club, so maybe not all PH's fault in that respect but PH made the decisions on players and accordingly has to live by those decisions, he has to go and go tonight regardless of the result!
When did your PH seeds of doubts start? on 15:25 - Oct 24 with 5525 viewsLightningboy

When he started leaving out Waghorn in the pre-season friendlies - then wasting weeks chasing a league 2 striker who’d only managed 16 goals for a title winning team as his replacement
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024