Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Burley has been out of the game for too long. 10:42 - Oct 25 with 5540 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I dont think he will be appointed, but I dont think football has moved on so much in 7 years that Burley wouldnt have a clue what to do.

I can understand other arguements against, but I think to say 'hes been out of the game for too long' is too simplistic and doesnt really mean anything.

Great motivator, great with younger players, great at organising, great with the fans.

Excellent defensive coach.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 10:45 - Oct 25 with 5144 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Would need someone else alongside him that isn't Butcher (in my opinion)

Would prefer to see a younger coach than having two old warhorses together.. I think there would be a better dynamic with someone whose experience in the game is more centered around modern football.
Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 10:51 - Oct 25 with 5124 viewsGavTWTD

I'm sure he could manage the current players but he'd have to heavily rely on scouts as while football hasn't moved on that much, players have.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 10:52 - Oct 25 with 5108 viewsitfc1981

Good effective football wins matches - I remember going to games in the -96-2000 era knowing whatever happened in the match we would outplay teams - not because we had better players but because we played effective passing football. The same could happen again now.

Those banged hard/fast one touch triangle passes our midfield did back then shifted the play before the opposition could react - then we had a fast sticker DJ to get into the space created. That was Burley's way. Get him in - get a couple of midfielders who can pass in the window - Jackson and Sears although not great could do the DJ & Scowey- role for the time being.

What people forget is to stay up you don't need many wins - but to get some you have a chance of scoring. GET BURLEY IN! He is old - but his football is still progressive.

Poll: Should Mick stick with Chambers at RB?

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 10:53 - Oct 25 with 5101 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Yeah, let's continue to be sentimental, soppy and romantic as the sentiments are the way forward. Mad !
Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 10:53 - Oct 25 with 5097 viewsitfc1981

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 10:45 - Oct 25 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Would prefer to see a younger coach than having two old warhorses together.. I think there would be a better dynamic with someone whose experience in the game is more centered around modern football.

Holland Assistant Manager.

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 10:57 - Oct 25 with 5062 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 10:53 - Oct 25 by Mach_foreignBlue

Yeah, let's continue to be sentimental, soppy and romantic as the sentiments are the way forward. Mad !

Sentiment aside. What skills does Burley lack?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 10:58 - Oct 25 with 5052 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 10:51 - Oct 25 by GavTWTD

I'm sure he could manage the current players but he'd have to heavily rely on scouts as while football hasn't moved on that much, players have.

But what manager doesn't rely heavily on scouts and agents these days?

I really dont think thats an issue. Recruitment is less of a managers responsibility than it was in his day.

Also, we have Dave Bowman, who picked up some good players for MM.

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 10:59 - Oct 25 with 5047 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 10:45 - Oct 25 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Wouldnt disagree with that,

Login to get fewer ads

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 11:01 - Oct 25 with 5013 viewsDarth_Koont

Agreed. That choice of Butcher as his running mate was IMO fatal. I think GB can clearly offer something but would be better alongside a much younger hands-on coach.

On a related note, I wonder if ME and Hurst are even considering someone coming in as an advisor to help out as a final throw of the dice. I know they've reshuffled already a little by involving Hogg but I think it's the managerial nous and confidence that's missing not energy and involvement on the training pitch.

Pronouns: He/Him

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 11:01 - Oct 25 with 5023 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 10:57 - Oct 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

Sentiment aside. What skills does Burley lack?

That skills which were needed to pick up players back in 2002. Joe Royle somehow managed to do so what Burley couldn't.
Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 11:01 - Oct 25 with 5015 viewsitfc1981

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 10:53 - Oct 25 by Mach_foreignBlue

I think there is a difference looking at Burley- a former PL manager of the year- compared to a real sentimental option like Gunn at the scumsters for example.

With Burley it makes sense - a lack of sense quite clearly lays at Evans door.

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 11:03 - Oct 25 with 5006 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 11:01 - Oct 25 by Mach_foreignBlue

That skills which were needed to pick up players back in 2002. Joe Royle somehow managed to do so what Burley couldn't.

Ah, OK so one bad season out of 8 at the club makes him a bad manager?

OK, sound logic.

All managers (maybe Fergie aside) will have a bad season and their spell at a club will end.

Not sure how that means that he cant manage.

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 11:04 - Oct 25 with 5004 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 11:01 - Oct 25 by itfc1981

I think there is a difference looking at Burley- a former PL manager of the year- compared to a real sentimental option like Gunn at the scumsters for example.

Listening the the Podcast interview with johnno reminded me how good Burley was.

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 11:09 - Oct 25 with 4975 viewsLightningboy

Burley with Klug/Nash & Hogg on a long term deal to sort out this disaster regardless of what happens this season.
Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 12:01 - Oct 25 with 4878 viewsPilgrimblue

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 11:09 - Oct 25 by Lightningboy

Burley with Klug/Nash & Hogg on a long term deal to sort out this disaster regardless of what happens this season.

My thinking precisely. It would cause less upheaval with Nash etc backing up GB who for me ticks all the boxes. I don't get that he's been out of the game for too long. His record is probably better than most esp MM.
Last night there were some signs that with the right man we could turn it round. BUt with PH he just doesn't know his best team or how to get results
Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 12:03 - Oct 25 with 4873 viewsLesta_Tractor

Not dismissing GB but are there any examples of managers who have been 'out of the game' for 6-7 years and successfully returned?

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 12:08 - Oct 25 with 4855 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Its still the same game. He has the best credentials of anyone in terms of knowing the club, the set up, he knows there is no money, he won't expect a big salary, he knows and has worked with Klug, Nash, Dyer and Hogg, he cares and connects with the fans. Right now he is the best option and I don't buy into this myth that he's been out of the game too long/too old BS. Yes he made mistakes in the past, what manager hasn't but to say he has been out of the game too long is just lazy like Brennah Wooley saying Town lack confidence when what he really means is we are lacking quality.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 12:24 - Oct 25 with 4803 viewsPilgrimblue

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 12:03 - Oct 25 by Lesta_Tractor

Not dismissing GB but are there any examples of managers who have been 'out of the game' for 6-7 years and successfully returned?

Probably but situation is desperate. Getting anyone else in would cause too much turmoil (like Big Sam etc) and we could find ourselves too far back to recover point gap.

ME got us into this mess, time he took responsibility and acted in the best interests of the Club.
Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 12:35 - Oct 25 with 4783 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 12:03 - Oct 25 by Lesta_Tractor

There arent any I can think of, but thats because owners dont give them a chance.

I dont see ANY rationale to suggest its a major issue.

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 13:13 - Oct 25 with 4726 viewsBloomBlue

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 11:01 - Oct 25 by itfc1981

A PL manager who then took his team to relegation the following season. Once you look at the stats that was totally shocking and one of the biggest embarrassment in the history of management at any club. Burley was great but like all managers has a sell by date and Burley reached his.

I love how so many people talk about how he will motivate, use the youngsters etc but I remember his last season as mgr with us in this league and there was none of that. A great manager once but then lost it.
Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 13:19 - Oct 25 with 4703 viewsLeagueOne

I think he may be the only person who might want the job and be decent enough to take it - we were hardly flush with big names coming forward in the summer!

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 13:20 - Oct 25 with 4701 viewsBlueMerlin

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 11:09 - Oct 25 by Lightningboy

A set-up like this not only ticks a lot of boxes, but I'm convinced it's also one that would work and could (possibly) save us from our current dire situation.
Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 13:42 - Oct 25 with 4647 viewsZedRodgers

ME: You've been away too long George. I want you back in the dugout.

GB: Jurassic Park!

No, not at the moment

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 13:48 - Oct 25 with 4625 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 12:35 - Oct 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

There arent any I can think of, but thats because owners dont give them a chance.

I dont see ANY rationale to suggest its a major issue.

Alan Curbishley, Glenn Hoddle are two who have been out for a while but id like to see but unlike Burley they wouldn't want the job because of lack of funds. Burley isnt shy in saying he wants the job back and in the current situation he's the logical choice.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2018 13:49]

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 13:54 - Oct 25 with 4597 viewsZedRodgers

Burley has been out of the game for too long. on 13:48 - Oct 25 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Alan Curbishley, Glenn Hoddle are two who have been out for a while but id like to see but unlike Burley they wouldn't want the job because of lack of funds. Burley isnt shy in saying he wants the job back and in the current situation he's the logical choice.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2018 13:49]

Glenn Hoddle managing Ipswich Town LOL.

No, not at the moment

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024