Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hmmmmmm Mr Evans.... Hmmmmmmm 02:46 - Oct 26 with 421 viewsunstableblue

Hmmmmm....

Well crazy times at Portman Road; our normally poorly advised owner throws the dice once again.

Feel sorry for Hurst, I think there is a good manager in there but he was let down by players who had forgotten how to be dynamic and pass, senior players making errors, and he let himself down with not respecting perhaps the step up in club in terms of management style for him and his assistant, not fighting for budget, making too much change, and thinking the league was easier and could accommodate his style and lower league playing personnel in one Big Bang update. Ultimately he also didn’t stick to his convictions on team selection and style - and began to chop and change and play square pegs in round holes.

Hurst has to go after the QPR performance. There were some good 20-30mins passages of play under him; and I still think Jackson, Nolan and Toto can be good acquisitions for this club. Villa and Swansea were great and let’s take that as a sign Hurst could get the performance he wanted for the team.

For me Jack Ross was the right guy for us; he would have hit exactly the same issues as Hurst, especially if Waghorn or a good quality replacement were unavailable. Hursts one up front, sit back and then High press to turnover may have ultimately grated with Town fans; as did Micks turgid but more effective style. Hurst indeed never got the High press going. Ross I felt was more the people manager, a more progressive style and would have integrated with Klug and the U23 project more effectively. But I’m guessing. Evans had already decided on Hurst, advised by Mick and his other advisors that the Shrews guy was the right man - despite the red flags on playing style.

As for Lambert and his assistant I don’t give a flying feck about their Norwich connection. Who cares. Is he the right man to save us from relegation and to progress us forward in terms of attacking football and bringing through youth.

Well he seems a very ‘non-people’ person. But he has real pedigree - both his playing days at Dortmund, and his great success at clubs like Norwich and Colchester. Let’s not forget his Col U side played Norwich so off the park... some effectively -
That they poached him illegally.

At Villa he brought through youth so effectively he was praised by Hansen as a potential manager of the year. He made Stoke briefly rally.

But there are question marks, supposed falling out with players, a switch to a more defensive style, and using old pros rather than youth.... he didn’t quite kick on after Norwich success at Villa. He’s going to be a bit marmite with fans given his style of management.

But for me.... he has pedigree than I thought we could attract.
He is more technical than Mick and could play a pleasing style - but much will
depend on what he can get out of the current squad and the January transfer budget. And of course can he bring ALL the players along on the journey.

Just some thoughts - would love a Harry from Bath straw poll of former clubs fans view!!

Here we go again...

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024