Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Lambert – some quick thoughts 09:12 - Oct 26 with 3722 viewsSomethingBlue

The below should be prefaced by the acknowledgement that it's profoundly disappointing to see the club back here again and I hope that, for whatever good it might do, some sort of review is held into what went so badly wrong in the Mick succession and "new era" hype.

But we are where we are and, with that in mind, I'll be delighted with Lambert. He'd have been right at the top of my list for the job in hand but I didn't really think we'd have much chance of getting him. I've rated him very highly for years (not only for his Norwich work) and instinctively have a good feeling about this.

Forget the Norwich stuff — doesn't matter, he's not exactly yellow through and through, and to be honest I'd be happy to stick Iwan Roberts and Robert Fleck up top if it meant we survived right now. He created an excellent side there that I really enjoyed watching despite the colour of the shirts, that's what I'm interested in, and given that it's the only job where he's had any real stability from a club's owners what he did there interests me greatly — provided we can get out of trouble this season.

First of all he's here to firefight, of course, which is something he's done well at Blackburn and Wolves. Was a little unlucky at Stoke last season, I went to two or three of their games and the energy was far better than in Hughes' latter days. He had to sort out an absolutely rotten dressing room and did it well but couldn't quite get them over the line in time. I expect we'll see an organised, counterattacking Town side this season that prioritises safety but commits men forward in numbers when possible. It might not be especially pretty but as long as he can make us competitive until January — a tough job for anyone with the current lack of forward options, it's important we know that — I'd back him strongly to keep us up. He's well connected enough to call in a favour or two; I can only assume Evans has promised to throw some money at it (and him) too because otherwise I see no reason he'd take this job.

That's the concern for now. Beyond that, it depends on your point of view. This is hardly one last payday for Lambert, he's 49 and has time to come again at the top. Probably feels he has a point to prove given the various shambles he's had to work under, especially at Villa and Blackburn. One concern would be that, a little like Mick, he's arguably become a touch more conservative over time. His Norwich side was forward-thinking and tactically brilliant — they went after whoever they came up against and he made some spot-on changes during games that won them a lot of points. He's definitely tightened up as the years have gone on but, again like Mick, how much of that is down to the job he's been handed. It's something we'd find out next season, I suppose.

I also wonder what, if anything, has changed since he activated his release clause at Blackburn and said the below:

“It could be easy for me to stand here and say I will keep Blackburn in mid-table, or try to fight above relegation, but I don’t want to be that. I’ve never been that person in my life. I’ve done too many things to just want a job. I want to win things."

Perhaps it's just better to be in work than out of it. But it wouldn't surprise me if he had something similar in place here. Presumably he has sounded people out about Evans, who will be a breath of fresh air compared to some of his previous employers (part of the reason I think this is a good fit for all parties). But it's hard to see him sticking around if we can't make the team noticeably better in the longer run.

Anyway — very happy with this so let's hope we get it done with no hitches. He's a good guy too, have had a few dealings with him and know some people who've had far more. Can seem dour on the exterior but will be a decent character for the players to be around and commands respect, again a little like Mick. Is a bright guy and I'd trust him with my club.

That's all coming from a poolside in Cambodia (look at me etc) so perhaps the heat's getting to me but I'm now feeling far more confident about our immediate future — while simultaneously feeling very annoyed that we're going through all this again. Let's get behind Lambert, I think he'll do well here.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:18 - Oct 26 with 3644 viewschicoazul

Ooohhhh look at you etc

Good post. I believe that if it wasnt for the Norwich connection everyone would be absolutely over the moon with a manager of Lambert's standing replacing Mini Roy.

Added bonus is he is a Glaswegian and a few bllockings from that accent is exactly what our bunch of softcocks need.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:27 - Oct 26 with 3576 viewsDarth_Koont

Excellent post. Sums up my gut feeling but with the added advantage of real knowledge!

The release clause is probably a very good call as, like you, I thought he was a little out of our league. But if he performs well enough for a club to offer him a much better opportunity then I'd take that now.

Pronouns: He/Him

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:28 - Oct 26 with 3583 viewsSWGF

He's won promotion from L1, won promotion from the Champ, managed in the Prem, won the Champions League as a player. You'd hope, if nothing else, he'll provide some organisation.

If that doesn't give our players enough to trust him (as I never got the impression that PH gave them that), I don't know what will.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:28 - Oct 26 with 3574 viewsSomethingBlue

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:18 - Oct 26 by chicoazul

Ooohhhh look at you etc

Good post. I believe that if it wasnt for the Norwich connection everyone would be absolutely over the moon with a manager of Lambert's standing replacing Mini Roy.

Added bonus is he is a Glaswegian and a few bllockings from that accent is exactly what our bunch of softcocks need.

Yep, the Norwich stuff just isn't important, this is a great signing for us. And not wrong about the b8llckings actually, the thing being that he actually has the authority and top-level experience to carry them off.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:31 - Oct 26 with 3515 viewsKieran_Knows

Good post. Let's hope he can get some wins under his belt early doors. I imagine he'll be at Millwall tomorrow looking on.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:32 - Oct 26 with 3514 viewsthebooks

Really good post, and I'm similarly enthused.

Norwich *were* very good under him. I've always liked hearing him on Radio 5; he's smart, approachable but also a little spiky, which I think we could do with at the mo. I know their Midlands football correspondent really rated him.

So yeah, best we can get, I think. We do need to bear in mind just how bad our position is, though, and how badly we've been mismanged; already 4 points from safety with no way of scoring regularly and no new players for over 2 months. It's a hell of a tough gig.
Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:32 - Oct 26 with 3505 viewsitfcjoe

He also doesn't need to come in and throw his weight around, he'll command respect instantly.

I'm a bit worried that his sides haven't scored a lot of goals since leaving Norwich, is that due to the situations or has he lost that mojo he so clearly had there.

I'm looking forward to seeing what team he picks next week, and looking forward to watching the Millwall game on iFollow now

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:34 - Oct 26 with 3470 viewsGeoffSentence

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:18 - Oct 26 by chicoazul

Ooohhhh look at you etc

Fair play to you, a few weeks back you said that out manager should be Glaswegian and you got your man.

I have a good feeling about him, our current squad may not be up to a great deal but I think he can get the best out of them. This is the man who turned The Gravity Prone Lardarse from a league one lump to an effective premier league lump.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:34 - Oct 26 with 3452 viewsKieran_Knows

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:32 - Oct 26 by itfcjoe

He also doesn't need to come in and throw his weight around, he'll command respect instantly.

I'm a bit worried that his sides haven't scored a lot of goals since leaving Norwich, is that due to the situations or has he lost that mojo he so clearly had there.

I'm looking forward to seeing what team he picks next week, and looking forward to watching the Millwall game on iFollow now

At least the atmosphere will be better tomorrow now. Could've seen things turning ugly tomorrow had Hurst still been here.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:35 - Oct 26 with 3446 viewsBackToRussia

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:32 - Oct 26 by thebooks

Really good post, and I'm similarly enthused.

Norwich *were* very good under him. I've always liked hearing him on Radio 5; he's smart, approachable but also a little spiky, which I think we could do with at the mo. I know their Midlands football correspondent really rated him.

So yeah, best we can get, I think. We do need to bear in mind just how bad our position is, though, and how badly we've been mismanged; already 4 points from safety with no way of scoring regularly and no new players for over 2 months. It's a hell of a tough gig.

"Smart, approachable but... spiky"- agree, think he has a good attitude for the situation he's going to find himself at ITFC. Some motivating to do, some disciplining no doubt, but an awful lot of confidence needs to be injected in the team - and an attacking threat, which has dwindled down to nonexistence.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:36 - Oct 26 with 3425 viewsSwansea_Blue

A positive post, thank you.

"A bit more conservative over time" applies to a lot of managers who are incredibly successful early on but then fail to adapt and progress (e.g. Paul Jewell). Whether Lambert can go again and innovate and get us punching above our weight we'll have to wait and see. I sure hope so.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:38 - Oct 26 with 3396 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Sorry too good a chance to miss.....
[Post edited 26 Oct 2018 9:51]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:41 - Oct 26 with 3385 viewschicoazul

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:34 - Oct 26 by GeoffSentence

Fair play to you, a few weeks back you said that out manager should be Glaswegian and you got your man.

I have a good feeling about him, our current squad may not be up to a great deal but I think he can get the best out of them. This is the man who turned The Gravity Prone Lardarse from a league one lump to an effective premier league lump.

I think I was subconsciously thinking of Lambert! I had def info about Hurst leaving yesterday morning but not about Lambert being approached, made a post about him being my choice, and lo and behold. Although to be fair it doesnt take a football genius to see Lambert is a good Manager, available, and ideal for us.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:44 - Oct 26 with 3335 viewsSPEX_Blue

Great post. Of note is that fact that Lamberts side that got double promotion was made up of players from the lower leagues. Maybe he’ll be able to work with Hurst’s lower league signings on the training pitch to get the best out of them. Still, difficult to compare the players and situation!
Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:52 - Oct 26 with 3238 viewsBlueinBrum

Good post thanks.

My gut feeling is good about this, and I'm surprised at myself at how little I care about the Norwich connection. In fact it's quite funny really because it's completely tainted one of their "legends".
Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:57 - Oct 26 with 3197 viewsGuthrum

I think the enquiry into Hurst can be quite short: He had a good record as an up-and-coming young manager, spoke well and bought into some of the owner's stated aims. However, he struggled to get things functioning in the first few games, tried to recreate Shrewsbury by bringing in Nolan and Nsiala, lost his nerve when that didn't work either and things rapidly fell to pieces thereafter (despite the win in a wild attacking match at Swansea).

'... commits men forward in numbers ...' - now that would be a really welcome thing to see, after the last few seasons.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 10:02 - Oct 26 with 3148 viewsCoco

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 09:28 - Oct 26 by SWGF

He's won promotion from L1, won promotion from the Champ, managed in the Prem, won the Champions League as a player. You'd hope, if nothing else, he'll provide some organisation.

If that doesn't give our players enough to trust him (as I never got the impression that PH gave them that), I don't know what will.

And has that much fabled Borussia Dortmund link.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 10:05 - Oct 26 with 3109 viewsArnieM

IF Paul Lambert becomes Towns manager, it’s a blindingly good appointment. Probably Evans’s best.

We MUST unite behind him, and rise above the “Norwich thing”. Just bear in mind “them up the road” are mortified that Lambert could become our next manager. That should tell you everything.

COYBs

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 10:17 - Oct 26 with 3031 viewsjasondozzell

Great post.
Paul Lambert — NCFC/Aston Villa success on 10:21 - Oct 26 with 2986 viewsMVBlue

Lets face it hes Norwichs' best ever manager, so we'll give him a crack. He did very well for them and did bail out on them, which I suppose at least makes him non-loyal to a club he bailed on.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 10:32 - Oct 26 with 2883 viewsxrayspecs

Good post. Agree with all that you post.

On the Norwich connection, PL is no more a Norwich fan than his is a Town fan. Or Villa. Or Blackburn. The days of players and managers having deep local connections and allegiances have pretty much long gone. He is paid to do a job.

On the post mortem, I am not sure ME did a lot wrong. He listened to the fans, who had fallen out of love with Mick and his style of football. He brought in a new manager with a different philosophy and backed him, in the sense that he allowed PH to make the decisions about who to sell and who to buy. ME made a comment a couple of weeks ago that he was surprised at the scale of change, which was interesting. It shows he allows his managers to get on and make the decisions on the playing staff. That is not a bad thing as many managers will no doubt confirm. Sadly, the PH approach did not work and he has paid the price.

Onwards and upwards...
Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 11:33 - Oct 26 with 2674 viewsheavyweight

Paul Lambert — some quick thoughts on 10:32 - Oct 26 by xrayspecs

Good post. Agree with all that you post.

On the Norwich connection, PL is no more a Norwich fan than his is a Town fan. Or Villa. Or Blackburn. The days of players and managers having deep local connections and allegiances have pretty much long gone. He is paid to do a job.

On the post mortem, I am not sure ME did a lot wrong. He listened to the fans, who had fallen out of love with Mick and his style of football. He brought in a new manager with a different philosophy and backed him, in the sense that he allowed PH to make the decisions about who to sell and who to buy. ME made a comment a couple of weeks ago that he was surprised at the scale of change, which was interesting. It shows he allows his managers to get on and make the decisions on the playing staff. That is not a bad thing as many managers will no doubt confirm. Sadly, the PH approach did not work and he has paid the price.

Onwards and upwards...

With regards the port mortem, I'd be interested to know if any of the other staff , for example Bryan Klug, were consulted about the appointment or got to meet Paul Hurst before he joined.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024