Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Retire Number Six 22:33 - Oct 26 with 2212 viewsBlue_badge

On the thread today about Kevin Beattie's funera a TWTD user called Tufty had such a simple, yet brilliant, idea - retire the number six shirt!
No-one at the club today comes close to Kevin Beattie and that is, truly, no disrespect.
I've no idea, in this age of social media, polls, instagarm, etc., how to kick this off.
But it could be part of a new beginning - Lambert in as Beattie retires, it just seems ... right.
Retire Number Six on 22:35 - Oct 26 with 2196 viewsjjblue84

Bit late now, they’ve still been using it for the last 35 years...
Retire Number Six on 23:02 - Oct 26 with 2117 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Retiring shirt numbers is nonsense.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Retire Number Six on 23:12 - Oct 26 with 2089 viewsZacak

Retire Number Six on 23:02 - Oct 26 by The_Last_Baron

Retiring shirt numbers is nonsense.

Why do you say that?

I think it has a place. Given the way football is in this day and age, it's highly unlikely we will ever be graced by such a presence as Kevin Beattie. No.6 is never to be bettered.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2018 23:14]
Retire Number Six on 23:20 - Oct 26 with 2049 viewsBrixtonBlue

It's a nice thought but if you retired a number every time a legend dies you'd very quickly run out of shirts.

I think the memorial fountain mentioned before would be a better shout.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Retire Number Six on 23:31 - Oct 26 with 2006 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Retire Number Six on 23:12 - Oct 26 by Zacak

Why do you say that?

I think it has a place. Given the way football is in this day and age, it's highly unlikely we will ever be graced by such a presence as Kevin Beattie. No.6 is never to be bettered.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2018 23:14]

Beattie was a giant for Town, a true legend and got the send off he deserved from the club.

However say we retire the number 6 for The Beat. Town have probably 15 past players who could be regarded as true greats. Do we retire a number for Mick Mills. Number 7 (or 5) for John Wark. Numbr 9 for Ray Crawford or Paul Mariner. What about 4 for Thijssen or 8 for Muhren. We could end up with most of the 1-11 shorts retired.

That's why it's nonsense.

Retire Number Six on 23:39 - Oct 26 with 1976 viewsBlue_badge

Retire Number Six on 23:31 - Oct 26 by The_Last_Baron

Beattie was a giant for Town, a true legend and got the send off he deserved from the club.

However say we retire the number 6 for The Beat. Town have probably 15 past players who could be regarded as true greats. Do we retire a number for Mick Mills. Number 7 (or 5) for John Wark. Numbr 9 for Ray Crawford or Paul Mariner. What about 4 for Thijssen or 8 for Muhren. We could end up with most of the 1-11 shorts retired.

That's why it's nonsense.

Mills, Mariner, even Muhren weren't a patch on Beatiie. Brilliant. But different. And not as good. But f you didn't see him I guess you can't understand that he stood head and shoulders above every name you've mentioned.
Not talking anymore.
Retire Number Six on 23:49 - Oct 26 with 1948 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Retire Number Six on 23:39 - Oct 26 by Blue_badge

Mills, Mariner, even Muhren weren't a patch on Beatiie. Brilliant. But different. And not as good. But f you didn't see him I guess you can't understand that he stood head and shoulders above every name you've mentioned.
Not talking anymore.

I agree Beattie was magnificent and our greatest ever player, there's no doubting that.

Retire Number Six on 23:52 - Oct 26 with 1946 viewsSuffolktractor

Not talking anymore.

Just shows how good we were when you say Mills, Mariner and Muhren were not as good as Beattie,
You are absolutely right, add to that Wark, Thyssen, Talbot, Burley, Hunter, Butcher, Brazil, Gates, Osman. My god we were good! And we were so lucky to be there.
But above them all was Beattie.
Any one who saw him knows what a special player he was, but also a special human being as well.
Login to get fewer ads

Retire Number Six on 02:27 - Oct 27 with 1811 viewsconnorscontract

Not talking anymore.

To say that he stood head and shoulders above John Wark, who scored 36 goals in a season from Central Midfield in a midfield three, when he also had to be the ball winner, and came back in his twilight and anchored a young team and guided them to promotion, is absolute nonsense.

Beattie at his best may have been the best player to have played for Town, but John Wark was incredibly close.

And I say that with utter respect to both.
Retire Number Six on 08:39 - Oct 27 with 1652 viewsPJH

Retire Number Six on 02:27 - Oct 27 by connorscontract

To say that he stood head and shoulders above John Wark, who scored 36 goals in a season from Central Midfield in a midfield three, when he also had to be the ball winner, and came back in his twilight and anchored a young team and guided them to promotion, is absolute nonsense.

Beattie at his best may have been the best player to have played for Town, but John Wark was incredibly close.

And I say that with utter respect to both.

When I think of our greats it will always be The Beat at the top and then I start to think about who I would put second(Mills probably).
We have had, in my opinion,less than a dozen players in my time that I would say were truly great but there was only one that I regard as the greatest-not head and shoulders above the rest but above the rest.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2018 8:41]
Retire Number Six on 10:28 - Oct 27 with 1550 viewsbluewein

Retire Number Six on 23:20 - Oct 26 by BrixtonBlue

It's a nice thought but if you retired a number every time a legend dies you'd very quickly run out of shirts.

I think the memorial fountain mentioned before would be a better shout.

That or renaming the co-op the Kevin Beattie stand...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Retire Number Six on 10:30 - Oct 27 with 1548 viewsBrixtonBlue

Retire Number Six on 10:28 - Oct 27 by bluewein

Yeah, that would be a cheaper option.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Retire Number Six on 10:37 - Oct 27 with 1525 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Retiring shirt numbers is typically reserved for players who die “in service” as it were.
What happens when Mariner, Cooper, Butcher, Muren and Burley for example pass away? We’ll be using shirt numbers 100+

I agree with the sentiment, but better to rename a stand, have a statue or a plaque

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Retire Number Six on 10:38 - Oct 27 with 1522 viewsFifeITFC

Retire Number Six on 10:28 - Oct 27 by bluewein

You'd surely need to wait for any sponsorship deal to end and then you cut off a revenue stream.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Retire Number Six on 11:06 - Oct 27 with 1484 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Retire Number Six on 10:38 - Oct 27 by FifeITFC

You'd surely need to wait for any sponsorship deal to end and then you cut off a revenue stream.

Our owner is a billionaire. It won’t be a problem.

Oh....hang on....

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024