Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert's win percentage 09:45 - Oct 27 with 3319 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

read earlier that PL has a win % of 38.4% from 500 games. Let's say for arguments sake he continues that here - with the number of games remaining (excluding today) how many points would that leave us on, just to get an idea of what we could realistically be looking at?

I'd do the maths myself but I'm about to jump in the shower and head to Millwall
Lambert's win percentage on 09:47 - Oct 27 with 2913 viewsgroovyASH

We don't play 500 games this season though so what is the point?

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

Lambert's win percentage on 09:51 - Oct 27 with 2856 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

Lambert's win percentage on 09:47 - Oct 27 by groovyASH

We don't play 500 games this season though so what is the point?

Because that's how you work out an average. I think it would just keep us up (42-46 points ish off the top of my head)
Lambert's win percentage on 09:52 - Oct 27 with 2850 viewsclive_baker

Surely it depends on the number of draws as well

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Lambert's win percentage on 09:53 - Oct 27 with 2844 viewssuffolkpoker

ok assuming he only wins and looses.

24 teams = 46 games minus 14 games we have played. Leaves 32 games.
32 divide by 100 = 0.32 x 38.4 = 12.288 wins.

12.288 wins x 3 points = 36.864 extra points + the 9 points we have now.

45.8 points

does 45 / 46 points keep us up?

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Lambert's win percentage on 09:53 - Oct 27 with 2843 viewsSenatorBlue

36 points from wins (32 games left, so a possible 96 points, at 38.4%), plus the 9 we already have takes that to 47 - add in a few draws - around the 50 point mark. Think that would keep us up. Prediction: 15th
[Post edited 27 Oct 2018 9:54]
Lambert's win percentage on 09:55 - Oct 27 with 2821 viewsGuthrum

His managerial career stats are: Win 38.4% Draw 23.7% Loss 38.0%

Over the remaining 32 games of the season that would give us (rounding down) 12 wins and 7 draws, putting Town on 52 points and probably safe.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lambert's win percentage on 09:55 - Oct 27 with 2805 viewsitfcjoe

After today it is 31 games

38.4% of 31 is 11.9

11.9 x 3=35.7

Add 9 points we already have

=44.7 points

Plus anything we get today and any draws we pick up.

47-48 points should see us safe so we'd be more than comfortable presuming we don't lose every game we don't win.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lambert's win percentage on 09:57 - Oct 27 with 2789 viewsbadadski

Lambert's win percentage on 09:53 - Oct 27 by SenatorBlue

36 points from wins (32 games left, so a possible 96 points, at 38.4%), plus the 9 we already have takes that to 47 - add in a few draws - around the 50 point mark. Think that would keep us up. Prediction: 15th
[Post edited 27 Oct 2018 9:54]

That's not quite right though as you have potential 1 point per draw in other games, so you need to include that also
Login to get fewer ads

Lambert's win percentage on 10:00 - Oct 27 with 2775 viewsclive_baker

Lambert's win percentage on 09:55 - Oct 27 by itfcjoe

38.4% of 31 is 11.9

11.9 x 3=35.7

=44.7 points

47-48 points should see us safe so we'd be more than comfortable presuming we don't lose every game we don't win.

13 wins from 31 doesn’t sound too bad on paper, plus today as a freebie.

The issue for me is 11 of those 31 are up to and including 1st Jan. we really need 4 or 5 wins from those, and I’m still not convinced we’ve got sufficient quality in the squad currently.

Lambert's win percentage on 10:00 - Oct 27 with 2770 viewsSenatorBlue

Lambert's win percentage on 09:57 - Oct 27 by badadski

That's not quite right though as you have potential 1 point per draw in other games, so you need to include that also

Re-read...Guthrum had it better covered that my 3 draws guestamate anyway. He is stato, so will bow to his superior knowledge
Lambert's win percentage on 10:02 - Oct 27 with 2750 viewsVic

Lambert's win percentage on 09:55 - Oct 27 by itfcjoe

38.4% of 31 is 11.9

11.9 x 3=35.7

=44.7 points

Which is great Joe, but assumes we have a squad good enough to get the results.

Will be interesting and will show if the problem was PH or the quality of the players as several of us thought.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Lambert's win percentage on 10:03 - Oct 27 with 2738 viewsGuthrum

Lambert's win percentage on 10:00 - Oct 27 by clive_baker

The issue for me is 11 of those 31 are up to and including 1st Jan. we really need 4 or 5 wins from those, and I’m still not convinced we’ve got sufficient quality in the squad currently.

Whereas I think we have, but they needed to be better organised and motivated. And probably not playing an isolated lone striker, not getting bodies in the box on the end of crosses, not playing a RB at LB when we have a perfectly good one of the latter and so on.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2018 10:04]

Lambert's win percentage on 10:05 - Oct 27 with 2721 viewsbobbyramsey

Lambert's win percentage on 10:02 - Oct 27 by Vic

Which is great Joe, but assumes we have a squad good enough to get the results.

Will be interesting and will show if the problem was PH or the quality of the players as several of us thought.

.....but he managed teams with decent players. God knows what he'll manage with this rabble.....;)
Lambert's win percentage on 10:07 - Oct 27 with 2710 viewsGuthrum

Lambert's win percentage on 09:55 - Oct 27 by Guthrum

His managerial career stats are: Win 38.4% Draw 23.7% Loss 38.0%

Over the remaining 32 games of the season that would give us (rounding down) 12 wins and 7 draws, putting Town on 52 points and probably safe.

Forgot (but Joe didn't) that today is Klug's. Away at Millwall, that's probably a draw at best, which would knock the total down to 49-50 points, rather more marginal but still probably ok.

Lambert's win percentage on 10:08 - Oct 27 with 2701 viewsjjblue84

You can do all the maths that you like, you already know that the answer will be 15th!!
Lambert's win percentage on 10:10 - Oct 27 with 2675 viewsGuthrum

Lambert's win percentage on 10:05 - Oct 27 by bobbyramsey

.....but he managed teams with decent players. God knows what he'll manage with this rabble.....;)

'Rabble' is unfair, except perhaps in terms of squad morale.

Which is daft by Guthrum 25 Oct 2018 10:32
So have we.

Two of the squad went to the World Cup (one actually played). Four were in the team last time we made the play-offs. We have the Captain and two other stars of the England U19 squad (plus a couple more who've had their first call-ups). We have a lively young winger and a hard-working young striker, plus a decent attacking right-back and a good CB on loan. Ward is capable of producing good performances, as even is Spence on occasion.

Where is the disastrous lack of quality in that lot?

Lambert's win percentage on 10:16 - Oct 27 with 2624 viewsclive_baker

Lambert's win percentage on 10:03 - Oct 27 by Guthrum

Whereas I think we have, but they needed to be better organised and motivated. And probably not playing an isolated lone striker, not getting bodies in the box on the end of crosses, not playing a RB at LB when we have a perfectly good one of the latter and so on.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2018 10:04]

I don’t think there’s been any evidence of a lack of motivation. We’re bereft of quality all over the pitch and we’ve looked incapable of creating anything in the final third. We’ll need a manager who can make the whole greater than the sum of the parts, as Mick managed to do. That’s the result of years of under investment. That said, when dealt with that hand a manager has to play it right, and Hurst was a disaster. 14 games in and he was no closer to knowing his preferred lineup, as you say square pegs in round holes. He didn’t even know his best keeper ffs. I expect an improvement, it’s just to what extent. For me none of our 3 senior forwards would get in any other side at this level. That concerns me greatly, previously we’ve had a Murphy or Waghorn that can save us, I can’t see that anywhere now.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2018 10:17]

Lambert's win percentage on 10:17 - Oct 27 with 2614 viewsitfcjoe

Lambert's win percentage on 10:00 - Oct 27 by clive_baker

I’m comfortable with the squad, but with one big caveat and that is we have nowhere near enough up front.

I’d sign Bent tomorrow - he can score and I’m not confident Sears, Jackson and when harrison is back will do.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lambert's win percentage on 10:20 - Oct 27 with 2573 viewsclive_baker

Lambert's win percentage on 10:17 - Oct 27 by itfcjoe

I’m comfortable with the squad, but with one big caveat and that is we have nowhere near enough up front.

I’d sign Bent tomorrow - he can score and I’m not confident Sears, Jackson and when harrison is back will do.

Couldn’t agree more. We’ve got the weakest forward options in the league by some distance IMO.

Lambert's win percentage on 10:43 - Oct 27 with 2480 viewsGuthrum

Lambert's win percentage on 10:16 - Oct 27 by clive_baker

I don’t think there’s been any evidence of a lack of motivation. We’re bereft of quality all over the pitch and we’ve looked incapable of creating anything in the final third. We’ll need a manager who can make the whole greater than the sum of the parts, as Mick managed to do. That’s the result of years of under investment. That said, when dealt with that hand a manager has to play it right, and Hurst was a disaster. 14 games in and he was no closer to knowing his preferred lineup, as you say square pegs in round holes. He didn’t even know his best keeper ffs. I expect an improvement, it’s just to what extent. For me none of our 3 senior forwards would get in any other side at this level. That concerns me greatly, previously we’ve had a Murphy or Waghorn that can save us, I can’t see that anywhere now.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2018 10:17]

I think there has been evidence of lack of motivation. It's the way heads dropped and any cohesion or intensity vanished the moment things started going against us - especially evident on Wednesday after their first goal went in. There has all too often been no sense of determination to fight back (tho that was there occasionally in the first few games and, notably, at Swansea).

In terms of scoring, I think a change of system and better organsiation will make our forwards more effective. But more immediately useful than that is we have goals elsewhere on the pitch. Edwards and Chalobah have both shown they can put the ball in the net, as have Edun, Nolan, Nsiala and Pennington. Dozzell, Chambers and Knudsen have all appeared on scoresheets in the past. It might be possible to create a setup where the forwards are part of a general attacking group, as much facilitators as primary scorers (that was why Barcelona invented tiki-taka, when they had midfielders but no decent strikers in the squad).

Lambert's win percentage on 10:50 - Oct 27 with 2436 viewsbobbyramsey

Lambert's win percentage on 10:10 - Oct 27 by Guthrum

'Rabble' is unfair, except perhaps in terms of squad morale.

Which is daft by Guthrum 25 Oct 2018 10:32
So have we.

Two of the squad went to the World Cup (one actually played). Four were in the team last time we made the play-offs. We have the Captain and two other stars of the England U19 squad (plus a couple more who've had their first call-ups). We have a lively young winger and a hard-working young striker, plus a decent attacking right-back and a good CB on loan. Ward is capable of producing good performances, as even is Spence on occasion.

Where is the disastrous lack of quality in that lot?

Most of the newcomers are below par for this league........

The better, experienced players have gone..............
[Post edited 27 Oct 2018 10:51]
Lambert's win percentage on 10:50 - Oct 27 with 2431 viewslinhdi

His Championship % will be a fair bit better. The numbers are impacted by some poorer seasons in the Prem.
Lambert's win percentage on 10:54 - Oct 27 with 2403 viewsconnorscontract

Lambert's win percentage on 10:17 - Oct 27 by itfcjoe

Let's just say that Bent and Lambert didn't exactly get on...

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-aston-villa
Lambert's win percentage on 10:58 - Oct 27 with 2387 viewsclive_baker

Lambert's win percentage on 10:43 - Oct 27 by Guthrum

I think there has been evidence of lack of motivation. It's the way heads dropped and any cohesion or intensity vanished the moment things started going against us - especially evident on Wednesday after their first goal went in. There has all too often been no sense of determination to fight back (tho that was there occasionally in the first few games and, notably, at Swansea).

In terms of scoring, I think a change of system and better organsiation will make our forwards more effective. But more immediately useful than that is we have goals elsewhere on the pitch. Edwards and Chalobah have both shown they can put the ball in the net, as have Edun, Nolan, Nsiala and Pennington. Dozzell, Chambers and Knudsen have all appeared on scoresheets in the past. It might be possible to create a setup where the forwards are part of a general attacking group, as much facilitators as primary scorers (that was why Barcelona invented tiki-taka, when they had midfielders but no decent strikers in the squad).

I think we were beaten by a much, much better side at Leeds who barely got out of 3rd gear. For me, pointing to motivation and effort would be avoiding the bigger issue of quality, or lack thereof.

We have players in our squad who have scored goals, I wouldn’t be surprised if we get 6 or 7 from Edwards which would be lovely, but i’m more concerned that I don’t see a player that’s going to score us 15+, and without that we’re in serious trouble. I don’t really see a player I would back to get into double figures if you asked me now, which is frightening. Pennington and Chambers chipping in with a couple as any centre half normally would isn’t going to move the needle incrementally.

Aside from goals, for me we have 2 centre halves (chambers and Pennington) that can be relied upon which is great, but beyond that we’re weak which represents a risk. Nsiala looks a liability and our brightest academy prospect is out on loan at Swindon.

God knows what we’ll now see from our former player of the year 2 years running Bartosz, having been dropped from the team. Will be interesting to see what that’s done to his confidence. Knudsen has emerged from weak link to one of the more reliable players in this squad, which tells you more about the evolution of the squad than Knudsen.
Graham looks miles off the pace, as does Nolan. Roberts hasn’t kicked a ball since he joined. We’ve lost 4 of our more proven Championship quality in Webster, McGoldrick, Garner and Waghorn and largely replaced them with players that aren’t good enough for this level of football, on the evidence I’ve seen.

I like the prospect of Lambert, I just wish he had a pre season and a transfer window before he had to get stuck into action. I sympathise with him.

Lambert's win percentage on 11:31 - Oct 27 with 2283 viewsGuthrum

Lambert's win percentage on 10:50 - Oct 27 by linhdi

His Championship % will be a fair bit better. The numbers are impacted by some poorer seasons in the Prem.

His overall record specifically in the Championship is: P106 W45 (42.5%) D28 (26.4%) L33 (31.1%) GD+32

His record with teams struggling in the Championship (i.e. Blackburn and Wolves, both of which he took over in the month of November) is: P60 W22 (36.7%) D13 (21.7%) L25 (41.7%) GD-2

If he replicated the second of those with us over the remaining 31 matches after today (rounding down wins and draws), it would give: P31 W11 D6 L14 GD-1, leaving us with a season-end total of 48 points and -12GD (plus whatever we can get against Millwall). Very borderline, but would have been enough to see us safe in 8 out of the last 10 seasons.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024