Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Homes or fields? 20:09 - Oct 27 with 906 viewsStokieBlue

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/oxford-cambridge-arc-expressway-

Hard one really, we need more houses but the CPRE have a point on the countryside.

This quote from the CPRE shows the issue though:

"CPRE said with current capacity for around 50,000 houses on previously developed land in the region"

So even they concede brownfield sites aren't enough but don't want more homes in their back yard.

Thoughts?

SB
[Post edited 27 Oct 2018 21:13]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Homes or fields? on 20:12 - Oct 27 with 894 viewsGuthrum

I don't know about elsewhere, but around here all the redevelopment is into retirement housing. Do we need all that? Would starter homes be better?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Homes or fields? on 20:22 - Oct 27 with 865 viewsDarth_Koont

If we didn't have such a centralised economy based around London finance and such centralised politics this wouldn't be an issue.

We're incredibly poor at thinking about the UK as a whole.

Pronouns: He/Him

Homes or fields? on 21:10 - Oct 27 with 826 viewsOldsmoker

Homes or fields? on 20:12 - Oct 27 by Guthrum

I don't know about elsewhere, but around here all the redevelopment is into retirement housing. Do we need all that? Would starter homes be better?

The government are being lobbied from all sides. Nimbys, Save the Countryside, Developers, Profiteers etc. Their policies are not joined up, there is no overall plan.
One approach is to build quality retirement homes and encourage those with large houses who now live on their own to move into them. This frees up those large houses for aspiring families to move into and then allows others to also upgrade as houses lower down the chain become available. There is a shortage of houses for retired people who may need wide corridors for wheelchair access and special bathroom facilities. A lot of new houses are too small and can't be adapted, as developers just want to cram as many houses as they can into a plot. The developers don't care as they're not going to live there.
Local Councils know what is required and only in the last month has the government allowed local councils to borrow to build their own houses.
This decision is too late and should have been made 20 years ago. Thatcher stopped councils using the cash from council house sales to build more houses in the mid 1980's and that's where it all started to go wrong.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2018 21:17]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Homes or fields? on 21:11 - Oct 27 with 815 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Whatever turns you on Stokie!

......don't even think about editing it!
[Post edited 27 Oct 2018 21:12]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Homes or fields? on 21:13 - Oct 27 with 812 viewsStokieBlue

Homes or fields? on 21:11 - Oct 27 by BanksterDebtSlave

Whatever turns you on Stokie!

......don't even think about editing it!
[Post edited 27 Oct 2018 21:12]

Already did before you edited yours!

Good spot though :).

SB

Homes or fields? on 21:15 - Oct 27 with 809 viewsStokieBlue

Homes or fields? on 21:10 - Oct 27 by Oldsmoker

The government are being lobbied from all sides. Nimbys, Save the Countryside, Developers, Profiteers etc. Their policies are not joined up, there is no overall plan.
One approach is to build quality retirement homes and encourage those with large houses who now live on their own to move into them. This frees up those large houses for aspiring families to move into and then allows others to also upgrade as houses lower down the chain become available. There is a shortage of houses for retired people who may need wide corridors for wheelchair access and special bathroom facilities. A lot of new houses are too small and can't be adapted, as developers just want to cram as many houses as they can into a plot. The developers don't care as they're not going to live there.
Local Councils know what is required and only in the last month has the government allowed local councils to borrow to build their own houses.
This decision is too late and should have been made 20 years ago. Thatcher stopped councils using the cash from council house sales to build more houses in the mid 1980's and that's where it all started to go wrong.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2018 21:17]

"encourage those with large houses who now live on their own to move into them"

As long as it's only encourage and not force people to sell up with some form of land value tax they can't afford. Many people would be better off living in a really nice and well managed retirement flat but for many people it would be very hard to leave a family home full of memories where they feel comfortable.

SB

Homes or fields? on 21:15 - Oct 27 with 802 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Homes or fields? on 21:13 - Oct 27 by StokieBlue

Already did before you edited yours!

Good spot though :).

SB

Get rid of that 'e' again ya rotter!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Homes or fields? on 21:30 - Oct 27 with 792 viewsOldsmoker

Homes or fields? on 21:15 - Oct 27 by StokieBlue

"encourage those with large houses who now live on their own to move into them"

As long as it's only encourage and not force people to sell up with some form of land value tax they can't afford. Many people would be better off living in a really nice and well managed retirement flat but for many people it would be very hard to leave a family home full of memories where they feel comfortable.

SB

You've hit the nail on the head.
My Auntie was on her own in the house where she had brought up her whole family. Every Xmas the whole family would stay and this is why she still lived there until she died. The emotional attachment she had to the house was so strong she would never sell.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024