Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... 20:21 - Oct 27 with 1917 viewsBluearmy71

I only listed to today's game on the radio and would never fully judge, I have read posts from some who were there and they all say we were awful!

But lets not lose hope completely because it can be quite amazing what a few weeks of structured training, system and a regular 11 first teamers as well as matches inbetween that are overseen by a good experienced manager can do, and we have a manager like that from now on!

I/we've seen it done with other teams when a new manager comes in, admittedly they all seemed to have squads better than ours so they were in a better position! There are still many points to play for and I still feel we can gather all we need even if it may be a close run thing!

Good luck in this new era for us to Paul Lambert, coaches & the players!

Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 20:27 - Oct 27 with 1897 viewshadleighboyblue

You would think that with the new manager watching , the players would raise their game and bust a gut to impress him .

If they failed to do that today , when will they rise from their indifferent slumbers .

They want a rocket up their whatsit, I feel sorry for Lambert before he's even started , we are deep in trouble and it's even worse if the players don't fight
Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 20:36 - Oct 27 with 1859 viewsGarv

Everyone said Mick's task was almost impossible and he worked a miracle to keep us up. I've always felt a number of managers could have rescued us and we just needed organisation and a bit of recruitment. Mick did do this particularly well.

The point is everyone was in dispair at this time in 2012 and we stayed up comfortably. We can do it again. The flip side is the basic fact that the squad is a lot worse this time round, but people saying we are already down are just wrong.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 20:43 - Oct 27 with 1844 viewsGuthrum

Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 20:27 - Oct 27 by hadleighboyblue

You would think that with the new manager watching , the players would raise their game and bust a gut to impress him .

If they failed to do that today , when will they rise from their indifferent slumbers .

They want a rocket up their whatsit, I feel sorry for Lambert before he's even started , we are deep in trouble and it's even worse if the players don't fight

Be fair. They've had only two days to reorganise, adjust tactics and setup since Hurst left. With the best will in the world, it's going to take longer than that to rebuild confidence (both personal and mutual) plus partnerships in what had become an exceedingly fragmented team (different players selected every week).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 20:44 - Oct 27 with 1840 viewsHennikerBlu

Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 20:27 - Oct 27 by hadleighboyblue

You make a fair point.
Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 20:50 - Oct 27 with 1823 viewsHennikerBlu

Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 20:43 - Oct 27 by Guthrum

Be fair. They've had only two days to reorganise, adjust tactics and setup since Hurst left. With the best will in the world, it's going to take longer than that to rebuild confidence (both personal and mutual) plus partnerships in what had become an exceedingly fragmented team (different players selected every week).

Yes it is a mess and lots of changes. Still we are in a dogfight now and PL will need players that can fight tooth and nail to the final whistle and a bit of that at the New Den today would not have gone amiss with 2k away support and the new manager watching.
Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 20:55 - Oct 27 with 1807 viewsGuthrum

Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 20:50 - Oct 27 by HennikerBlu

Yes it is a mess and lots of changes. Still we are in a dogfight now and PL will need players that can fight tooth and nail to the final whistle and a bit of that at the New Den today would not have gone amiss with 2k away support and the new manager watching.

It's quite difficult to fight effectively when the whole thing's coming apart at the seams. Football is a team sport and cohesion is vital to effectiveness. We don't have the individual talent necessary for a player to change the game on his own.

Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 21:25 - Oct 27 with 1776 viewsHennikerBlu

Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 20:55 - Oct 27 by Guthrum

It's quite difficult to fight effectively when the whole thing's coming apart at the seams. Football is a team sport and cohesion is vital to effectiveness. We don't have the individual talent necessary for a player to change the game on his own.

For sure in a battle cohesion is vital, but the odd cavalry charge today might not have hurt ;)

Plus fight, grit and determination is not all down to 'game changing talent', this was a pretty average Championship side we were playing and we had zero shots on target and I don't think a single booking, sadly hardly smacks of much fight or passion on an individual basis.

Obviously some are in their first season and some have only played a couple of games, so it is tough, but we are going to need fighters out there to stand any chance of staying up and PL will know this and would have hoped to see a bit of that today and I don't think he did.
Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 21:30 - Oct 27 with 1752 viewsRyorry

Hear hear!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 21:44 - Oct 27 with 1715 viewsRyorry

Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 21:25 - Oct 27 by HennikerBlu

For sure in a battle cohesion is vital, but the odd cavalry charge today might not have hurt ;)

Plus fight, grit and determination is not all down to 'game changing talent', this was a pretty average Championship side we were playing and we had zero shots on target and I don't think a single booking, sadly hardly smacks of much fight or passion on an individual basis.

Obviously some are in their first season and some have only played a couple of games, so it is tough, but we are going to need fighters out there to stand any chance of staying up and PL will know this and would have hoped to see a bit of that today and I don't think he did.

Reminds me of my first ever game in our hockey 2nd 11 at school actually, we were away and got stuffed 11-1!! I was playing either RB or CB iirc.

We were toothless and lacked fight - not because we didn't want to fight, we were perfectly willing, in fact desperate to do so - but we simply didn't know how. We didn't know what to do to stop the rot, and weren't given any direction, so remained clueless & dithering, I remember feeling thoroughly embarrassed and ashamed, but even then recognised that we simply hadn't been given anything like the coaching, guidance or perspective that was essential to us actually competing - we were all basically competent individual players that had never been coached as a unit.

That performance today was not Klug's fault, nor primarily that of the players - the foundations for it were laid (or perhaps I should say not laid) in the weeks leading up to it by the inadequacy & failings at this level of Paul Hurst.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 21:45 - Oct 27 with 1714 viewsGuthrum

Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 21:25 - Oct 27 by HennikerBlu

Cavalry charges in desperate situations are usually messy and often unsuccessful (see: Pavia, Waterloo - both sides, Eylau, Wörth). Occasionally they can pull off a miracle (Mars-la-Tour), but still at a cost of huge casualties.

Bookings are a sign of carelessness and desperation as much as passion. One thing which disturbed me was how many red cards we were picking up under Hurst. Ipswich never have lots of red cards.

For me, the players are going to need some confidence restoring in themselves before we see much of it on the pitch. Beaten armies tend to go on being defeated unless rallied by a strong general. I hope Lambert will be that.

Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 21:55 - Oct 27 with 1687 viewsGuthrum

Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 21:44 - Oct 27 by Ryorry

Reminds me of my first ever game in our hockey 2nd 11 at school actually, we were away and got stuffed 11-1!! I was playing either RB or CB iirc.

We were toothless and lacked fight - not because we didn't want to fight, we were perfectly willing, in fact desperate to do so - but we simply didn't know how. We didn't know what to do to stop the rot, and weren't given any direction, so remained clueless & dithering, I remember feeling thoroughly embarrassed and ashamed, but even then recognised that we simply hadn't been given anything like the coaching, guidance or perspective that was essential to us actually competing - we were all basically competent individual players that had never been coached as a unit.

That performance today was not Klug's fault, nor primarily that of the players - the foundations for it were laid (or perhaps I should say not laid) in the weeks leading up to it by the inadequacy & failings at this level of Paul Hurst.

Well put.

Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 22:10 - Oct 27 with 1636 viewsSteve_M

We were awful defensively, giving three goals away each at times where we were playing ok, lightweight up front but did play a bit through nmidfield. Heads dropped after the first goal but we did keep going, however ineffectually.

I'm sure Lambert will get us better organised and restore the fragile conference over a few weeks. That'll be a big improvement but the lack of a presence up front will remain a problem until January.

I'm not as downhearted after today as after the 5-0 defeat at Palace just after McCarthy took over. We looked irredeemably hopeless that day too and there were some truly dreadful individual performances from players who had a big role afterwards.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 22:17 - Oct 27 with 1620 viewsHennikerBlu

Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 21:45 - Oct 27 by Guthrum

Cavalry charges in desperate situations are usually messy and often unsuccessful (see: Pavia, Waterloo - both sides, Eylau, Wörth). Occasionally they can pull off a miracle (Mars-la-Tour), but still at a cost of huge casualties.

Bookings are a sign of carelessness and desperation as much as passion. One thing which disturbed me was how many red cards we were picking up under Hurst. Ipswich never have lots of red cards.

For me, the players are going to need some confidence restoring in themselves before we see much of it on the pitch. Beaten armies tend to go on being defeated unless rallied by a strong general. I hope Lambert will be that.

Of course, though I think the French 2nd Hussars and Vistula Lancers might disagree, not to mention the Saxon Heavies and the Polish Cuirassiers. Relegation is a desperate situation and at times we will need to gamble in certain games, especially when we look like losing.

Strong generals also need fighting troops and leaders throughout and cannot rely on a great leader alone (see 1814). Which reminds me my Oman set is stuck behind a load furniture:)

I hope PL can sort it out, but I stand by the view that we will need (some) fighters. I guess that is why my favourite Marshal is Lannes; yours is possibly Davoust whom I also admire.
Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 22:22 - Oct 27 with 1608 viewsGuthrum

Lets try and be positive, hard I know but... on 22:17 - Oct 27 by HennikerBlu

Of course, though I think the French 2nd Hussars and Vistula Lancers might disagree, not to mention the Saxon Heavies and the Polish Cuirassiers. Relegation is a desperate situation and at times we will need to gamble in certain games, especially when we look like losing.

Strong generals also need fighting troops and leaders throughout and cannot rely on a great leader alone (see 1814). Which reminds me my Oman set is stuck behind a load furniture:)

I hope PL can sort it out, but I stand by the view that we will need (some) fighters. I guess that is why my favourite Marshal is Lannes; yours is possibly Davoust whom I also admire.

You're not wrong about my admiration for the victor of Auerstadt.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024