Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective 15:15 - Oct 28 with 7354 viewsVintage65

Just interested in your thoughts over this appointment that has divided your fan base perhaps a little, and also wanted to make a few comments about Lambert's style.

Firstly a lot of Town fans seem to think Lambert has failed ever since he left Norwich. This isn't really true - he has taken on some really tough projects, possibly some that others would not take on, and he has largely achieved the goals he was originally tasked with. His Ipswich project is (no disrespect here) equally as tough as some of those.

At Wolves he did not have decision making on new signings, and left as he wanted to have that control I believe.

Secondly, it's been mentioned that he likes a target man, and he does like someone to hold the ball up. Surprisingly you don't seem to have an ideal candidate for this.

I'm surprised because Hurst had Carlton Morris on loan from us last season, a youngster yes, and not a prolific goal scorer - but a great at holding the ball and bringing other players into the game which is why he played so many games for Shrewsbury last season - I just find that odd!

Thirdly, as you all know (hilarious) we lost our first game in L1 to Colchester 7-1. A poor defence at the time.

As soon as Lambert came in, a certain Mr Wes Hoolahan was not even in our squad! A luxury that couldn't be afforded until our defence was sorted out! So I think there is no doubt Lambert will start to sort your defence out first, and then look at other areas.

Lambert's style, once the defence was sorted, was all attack and go out to win every game, a passing style and not a long ball style.. I don't think that will change with you, once the defence is sorted.

I think he will keep you up, and then who knows.

My question is do you think your fans have enough patience to stick with him, or will he get boo's after maybe two losses?

Also, if you did go down, would it be his fault? Would you back him to get you back up again, or want him sacked?

Interesting times, and East Anglian football history in the making.

Me - I hope you stay up, but still lose the derby! But good luck in this new phase of ITFC history - who knows - we might one day be back in the Prem together where both Clubs belong!

Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 15:33 - Oct 28 with 7153 viewsRegencyBlue

Interesting perspective.

I don’t think Lambert will get too much stick because most reasonable people can see he has been handed a hospital pass by Hurst!

As for relegation to League 1, with this owner I don’t think any manager would get us back if I’m honest.
Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 15:39 - Oct 28 with 7090 viewstextbackup

Simply if we want to stay up we have got to stick by him. And for what it’s worth I’m really happy with this appointment, I’d have taken him in the summer also!

I work with a couple of your lot (like them more than some of the thick Town fans I work with!) so I have spent a lot of time talking all things Norwich. And even before this appointment I was impressed with PLs style, chucking on strikers and attacking players when drawing because football is about winning games. Admire that courage.

This clubs a strange place, I just hope that even if we drop we hold on to him

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 15:48 - Oct 28 with 7005 viewsPilgrimblue

Thanks for that. Neither Mm nor PH sorted out defence. Players like Smith Berra left but no replacements and while PH brought in his men, they just weren't up to it leaving Chambers too much to do. Also RBs have fallen well short of Championship level i.e. Spence Donacian Knudsen Kenlock Cotter Emmanuel. Perhaps the only one who make it is Emmanuel.
For me Pennington is too short and probably would be better suited to RB or holding mid as he's showed some skills and pace (more then Skuse, not difficult!)
If we could i'd get Collins plus experienced striker as Walters not coming back soon.
Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 15:56 - Oct 28 with 6940 viewsMVBlue

Patience to stick with him? You may not have noticed but through the years we have been overly patient to our detriment. Roy Keane was abject mostly yet there was nevet a grand movement to oust him. Paul Jewell was facing huge losses and a disjointed dressing room full of uncommited loan players and Chopra plus others disgracing themselves with their behaviour. He was not hounded out either but quit. The rest you know. So Lambert will get at least 10 games before being given stick. Personally hes your best manager that I know of, which amused me when did fail. Its a big deal to have such a prominant Yellow manager, but we've failed too often to harbour resentment.

Nice to see there are some sensible Norwich fans.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 15:59 - Oct 28 with 6910 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Interesting read, congratulations on your current form.

Think Town will stick by Lambert regardless of what comes out of this season. The state of this dire squad is not on Lambert but upon Hurst. Lambert would probably need January and the summer to really start building his squad. He's an experienced head, will use funds very well and will be astute in the market.

We need to remain very tight until January and make some signings or the second half of the season to try and get us out this mess. Particular area of strength needs to be a talisman up front, maybe 2 depending upon how Harrison performs under Lambert. We need another winger for the opposite wing to Edwards, need to address the full back situation on both sides for me.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 16:10 - Oct 28 with 6804 viewsFtnfwest

I think he’ll get a fair amount of time to turn it round. If the worst came to the worst and we go down he would still be the ideal sort of manager to bring us back quickly as you found out. With Hurst the realistic target this season in terms of results was always just going to be to keep us up but Evans couldn’t leave it any longer or the next guy wouldn’t have had a chance.
Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 16:16 - Oct 28 with 6753 viewsParisBlue

Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 15:39 - Oct 28 by textbackup

Simply if we want to stay up we have got to stick by him. And for what it’s worth I’m really happy with this appointment, I’d have taken him in the summer also!

I work with a couple of your lot (like them more than some of the thick Town fans I work with!) so I have spent a lot of time talking all things Norwich. And even before this appointment I was impressed with PLs style, chucking on strikers and attacking players when drawing because football is about winning games. Admire that courage.

This clubs a strange place, I just hope that even if we drop we hold on to him

The thing I remember about Norwich under Lambert was the number of late goals they scored to win games. That's no coincidence.

Quite the opposite to us who have been very generous in conceeding late goals over the years (in particular at the City Ground)

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 16:23 - Oct 28 with 6691 viewsRegencyBlue

Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 15:48 - Oct 28 by Pilgrimblue

Thanks for that. Neither Mm nor PH sorted out defence. Players like Smith Berra left but no replacements and while PH brought in his men, they just weren't up to it leaving Chambers too much to do. Also RBs have fallen well short of Championship level i.e. Spence Donacian Knudsen Kenlock Cotter Emmanuel. Perhaps the only one who make it is Emmanuel.
For me Pennington is too short and probably would be better suited to RB or holding mid as he's showed some skills and pace (more then Skuse, not difficult!)
If we could i'd get Collins plus experienced striker as Walters not coming back soon.

Pennington is no right back!
Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:32 - Oct 28 with 6611 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:32 - Oct 28 with 6612 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 16:32 - Oct 28 with 6609 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Good post.

He has my full backing, and his Norwich past doesn't alter that.

We need him more than he need us.

Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 16:44 - Oct 28 with 6493 viewsDennyx4

I think Harrison or Walters were designed to be the hold up forward, that we are missing at present, which fitted the style of Shrewsbury.

I am going to be interested to see what Lambert's first team selection will be - we do seem to lack height or players that are good in the air.
Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 17:11 - Oct 28 with 6322 viewsDarth_Koont

He's got a free pass, I think. From the league position but more from a recruitment and basic competitiveness perspective, he's inherited a mess. And it might be a mess that's impossible to recover from given he'll likely have to wait until January to bring in anyone who can improve us dramatically.

But even if results might be hard to come by, I'll take baby steps like the emergence of an approach on the pitch and a first-choice team.

Pronouns: He/Him

Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 17:13 - Oct 28 with 6307 viewsOldTimer2

Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 16:44 - Oct 28 by Dennyx4

I think Harrison or Walters were designed to be the hold up forward, that we are missing at present, which fitted the style of Shrewsbury.

I am going to be interested to see what Lambert's first team selection will be - we do seem to lack height or players that are good in the air.

It is difficult to understand buying Harrison & Jackson if he was going to play one up front. Jackson was never going to be the hold up player and he was always clear that he saw him as a striker and not a wide player.

Bobby Robson - thank you

Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 17:16 - Oct 28 with 6283 viewsartsbossbeard

Decent post, cheers.

Any chance of coming over here full time? Maybe a loan to start or a swap deal with our very own Coco?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 17:30 - Oct 28 with 6161 viewsDennyx4

Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 17:13 - Oct 28 by OldTimer2

It is difficult to understand buying Harrison & Jackson if he was going to play one up front. Jackson was never going to be the hold up player and he was always clear that he saw him as a striker and not a wide player.

Quite a few odd decisions.

Skuse as anything other than a holding midfielder.
Donacien playing well at right back, but then playing him left back.
Dozzell injured, but plays in the last friendly, then we dont see him for two months.
Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 17:43 - Oct 28 with 6052 viewsSuperfrans

Thanks for that. FWIW, I have similar fears that the numbskulls will resurface if he doesn’t get things moving in the right direction within a reasonably short period.

That said, i’d like to believe there will be enough of us who will recognise progress if we start to see it.

Personally, I don’t care about his history, any more than I want a particular manager just because he is a Town legend (as some do). If he’s a good manager, he’s a good manager.

He can do a few simple things to get people on his side though. If he says the right things about the fans, our history and heritage, if he recognises the importance of the Derby and takes cups seriously, that will all help him.

Like you, I think he’ll focus on the defence first, get us organised generally, and will be scouring his list of contacts for the target man we need. As long as we start winning points quickly, he’ll do well and we’ll be fine. At this stage though, I’d take 4th bottom in May right now.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 17:46 - Oct 28 with 6012 viewsPecker

Norwich definitely do not belong in the Premier League. You were doing alright up to that point.
Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 18:03 - Oct 28 with 5923 viewsVintage65

Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 16:16 - Oct 28 by ParisBlue

The thing I remember about Norwich under Lambert was the number of late goals they scored to win games. That's no coincidence.

Quite the opposite to us who have been very generous in conceeding late goals over the years (in particular at the City Ground)

Lambert did increase the squads fitness, as Farke has done now. We conceded a lot of late goals pre Farke - not any more. So I again expect your team to be fitter under Lambert - don't leave the ground early!
Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 19:57 - Oct 28 with 5423 viewsNo9

You mention Wes Hoolahan, a midfileder of his quality is something Town badly need & have done so for several years. Whether PL can coach a youngster to become a midfield wizard remains to be seen.
The main problem since MM arrived has been playing round holes in square holes and trying, at times, to park the bus and failing.
PH was really a continuation of MM but without the sold players & loanees who wnet back to their clubs.
PL has a big job, I beleive we are all behind him (or should be) but what he has to do is to completely re-buid the playing side of ITFC
Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 07:58 - Oct 29 with 4662 viewsFreddy

Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 18:03 - Oct 28 by Vintage65

Lambert did increase the squads fitness, as Farke has done now. We conceded a lot of late goals pre Farke - not any more. So I again expect your team to be fitter under Lambert - don't leave the ground early!

Good post Nodge fan, whats your take on Culverhouse, lot of your fans say he was the brains & did most of the coaching?
Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 10:16 - Oct 29 with 4424 viewsstewartm

Great post Budgie! I think Lambert must be brave to take on this role because what ever the players he has or will get and what ever he has done in the past he now has to deal with Marcus Evans. Good luck to Lambert, good luck to Norwich City and ets hope Evans sells up and leaves. All those that disagree I do not care, because one thing Ipswich have done since the 'Saviour' took over is go downwards both in the league and in the bank!

Poll: How long will Lamburke survive this season?

Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 11:44 - Oct 29 with 4239 viewsMarkP1

Cheers for that. I too wish we were both back in the prem. As for Lambert I have no issue with him having managed Norwich it’s in the past and now he’s our manager, for me it’s as simple as that. I think regardless of the outcome this season we have to stick with him, constant changing of the manager will get us nowhere.

To be honest I would be amazed even at this stage if anyone could keep us up. I’m hoping rather than believing at this stage. My big worry is we’ll be too far adrift in January even if, and that’s a big if, Evans gives him any sort of ‘war chest’ let alone a £10m one. I just hope we don’t go down with a whimper but put up a fight. Only time will tell.
Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 11:59 - Oct 29 with 4201 viewsVintage65

Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 07:58 - Oct 29 by Freddy

Good post Nodge fan, whats your take on Culverhouse, lot of your fans say he was the brains & did most of the coaching?

I think Culverhouse was important, but, bearing in mind the tough projects he has had, he seems to have done ok without him. You have grabbed such a good coach in Matt Gill - I really didn't see that coming!

If your fan base sticks with Lambert, I do think he will keep you up, if you have the players to do it. That's the big question though, and no disrespect here, but a lot of your fans seem to wonder whether you have enough quality players to stay up.

Time will tell, and if you stick with him until Jan then you may find some shrewd signings to help.
Nodge Fan in peace - Lambert Perspective on 15:03 - Oct 29 with 3897 viewsBluearmy71

In short, the game against your lot was one of our better performances!

Looks can be deceiving, Hurst came in and wanted thing his way from the off, he said the players that were sold wanted to go, maybe they did but what it boiled down to was the club was stripped of its best player and they were not replaced with the same of near the same quality of player, he made 5+ changes every game, no player knew each others game or exactly what the manager wanted them to do, his tactic was inept and there was no cohesion in the team at all, a lot of us fans could see this wasn't gonna work after 6 or 7 games, from a personal point of view I've been going to PR for 35 years and it was the worst football I have ever seen us play, PH was badly out of his depth!

Lambert will have the backing with the exception of a few morons that every club has, he worked wonders with you lot and you played some great stuff under him, he will be given time if we go down or not as he is a proper football manager something we have missed for the first 17 games, the prospect of what Lambert can do is very exciting but we are under no illusion that for the rest of this season our playing style probably won't be pretty as our desperate situation depicts!

Should we win the first fight under Lambert and stay up the the real excitement will start because if we keep our championship status by the end of the season things would have already started to move forward and like any set of fans thats what we want our club to do!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024