Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
10 Million War Chest....... 08:26 - Oct 29 with 4446 viewsmathiemagic

What the hell is the point of a 10m war chest in January?. The only players available then are ones no one wants. Any decent ones available will eat that 10m up in no time as they know we would be desperate. If things don't dramatically improve, and i mean "Dramatically" then who will want to come to a club destined for relegation to League One?. It was a story from the ever reliable Sun however, but on face value then surely the 10m would be better off spent next summer when we know our fate and can then build a promotion squad to get us back to the Championship should that be where we end up, and in the event of a footballing miracle and we stay in the championship then double that war chest (if not more) to put us in with a shout of the playoffs at least to the premier league.

Poll: If we take a battering @ Norwich this weekend will MM get the sack or stay on ?

10 Million War Chest....... on 08:28 - Oct 29 with 4430 viewshatch

I’m surprised no one has started a thread on this already...
10 Million War Chest....... on 08:33 - Oct 29 with 4411 viewsSteve_M

Well given we have a glaring lack of a striker then that might be a good use of some of it.

McCarthy signed McGoldrick, albeit on loan, in January 2013.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

10 Million War Chest....... on 08:38 - Oct 29 with 4378 viewsBenters2

I hope we get to see the reciepts on all that money being spent as well
10 Million War Chest....... on 08:41 - Oct 29 with 4374 viewsFrimleyBlue

Ashley nadasan (spelling). Striker at Carlisle. Needs to be looked at. Making great progress and developing into a good league level striker. Not saying he'd be ready as yet. But one to look at

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

10 Million War Chest....... on 08:53 - Oct 29 with 4343 viewsGuthrum

10 Million War Chest....... on 08:38 - Oct 29 by Benters2

I hope we get to see the reciepts on all that money being spent as well

I doubt we will spend all that money. For that matter, I don't believe that figure in the first place.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

10 Million War Chest....... on 09:44 - Oct 29 with 4287 viewsstewartm

We need to spend some money or as it stands records will be broken (regarding the worst ever relegation figures). But I agree with your points.

Poll: How long will Lamburke survive this season?

10 Million War Chest....... on 10:01 - Oct 29 with 4265 viewsCoastalblue

10 Million War Chest....... on 08:41 - Oct 29 by FrimleyBlue

Ashley nadasan (spelling). Striker at Carlisle. Needs to be looked at. Making great progress and developing into a good league level striker. Not saying he'd be ready as yet. But one to look at

There's an obvious response to that following our summer transfer dealings, and I'm not knocking the players potential as I know nothing about him.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

10 Million War Chest....... on 10:05 - Oct 29 with 4251 viewsFrimleyBlue

10 Million War Chest....... on 10:01 - Oct 29 by Coastalblue

There's an obvious response to that following our summer transfer dealings, and I'm not knocking the players potential as I know nothing about him.

oh 100% wouldn't be saying he's an answer by no means. but defo one to keep any eye on even if a buy and loan back situ for development could be a gem. Similar that's what i'd try to do with Jackson and Harrison in jan if replacements are found, send them out as clearly not ready yet

Waka waka eh eh

Login to get fewer ads

10 Million War Chest....... on 10:16 - Oct 29 with 4226 viewswkj

Just ask The Sun, who completely made it up

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

10 Million War Chest....... on 10:21 - Oct 29 with 4214 viewsHarryfromBath

It's easier to stay in this division and rebuild as a Championship side rather than drop and hope to come back up. With this in mind, it makes more sense to gamble on staying up at the turn of the year if we are within five-ish points of safety. If we do implode and are more than 10 points adrift, your logic would probably make better sense.

In the meantime, let's see what Lambert can fashion out of his inheritance. There seems to be wide agreement that the combination of a far weaker squad than Mick inherited plus the lack of any loan signings has left us in far greater peril than in 2012. The fact that Paul Hurst was reported this weekend as saying he had no regrets sums the man up.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

10 Million War Chest....... on 10:24 - Oct 29 with 4198 viewsFrimleyBlue

10 Million War Chest....... on 10:21 - Oct 29 by HarryfromBath

It's easier to stay in this division and rebuild as a Championship side rather than drop and hope to come back up. With this in mind, it makes more sense to gamble on staying up at the turn of the year if we are within five-ish points of safety. If we do implode and are more than 10 points adrift, your logic would probably make better sense.

In the meantime, let's see what Lambert can fashion out of his inheritance. There seems to be wide agreement that the combination of a far weaker squad than Mick inherited plus the lack of any loan signings has left us in far greater peril than in 2012. The fact that Paul Hurst was reported this weekend as saying he had no regrets sums the man up.

Hurst has had a win hasn't he

nice pay off, wouldn't have hurt his reputation at all, just been seen as not ready for the championship yet

Apart from the fact he's probably relegated the club to league 1 for the first time in it's history, he has no regrets. cnt

Waka waka eh eh

10 Million War Chest....... on 10:27 - Oct 29 with 4185 viewswkj

The key to our survival chances is going to be the youth playing to their potential, and the new signings feeling mentored, Hurst was the blind leading the blind, now time to see what lambs has to bring to the table.

Jackson has to go- I see nothing in him, and if I were Lambert, I would see what the chances are of cancelling the Donacien loan before it gets galvanised.

I would play Woolfenden instead of Nsala, who has single-handedly lost points for us, and I would roll the dice up front, because with Waghorn gone- we lack identity in that area of the pitch.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

10 Million War Chest....... on 10:29 - Oct 29 with 4181 viewsSteve_M

Although, I doubt anyone will go down with the 54 points Peterborough did in 2012-13.

The real problem we have is the lack of any presence up front, as has been obvious since we sold Garner but otherwise the squad is probably not a lot worse than when Mick took over. We were a shambles then too, the 5-0 at Palace springs to mind - Murphy, Cresswell and Chambers were all very poor that match but we know what they did afterwards.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

10 Million War Chest....... on 10:37 - Oct 29 with 4135 viewshype313

I just cannot see where the goals are going to come from, that's our Achilles heel (along with abject defending) even if he does have this mysterious £10m figure to play with, by January we could be too far gone.

I really think the chickens are coming home to roost, after a number of years of huge under investment by Evans.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

10 Million War Chest....... on 10:39 - Oct 29 with 4113 viewsBenters2

10 Million War Chest....... on 10:24 - Oct 29 by FrimleyBlue

Hurst has had a win hasn't he

nice pay off, wouldn't have hurt his reputation at all, just been seen as not ready for the championship yet

Apart from the fact he's probably relegated the club to league 1 for the first time in it's history, he has no regrets. cnt

Lol 😂
10 Million War Chest....... on 10:40 - Oct 29 with 4115 viewsFrimleyBlue

10 Million War Chest....... on 10:37 - Oct 29 by hype313

I just cannot see where the goals are going to come from, that's our Achilles heel (along with abject defending) even if he does have this mysterious £10m figure to play with, by January we could be too far gone.

I really think the chickens are coming home to roost, after a number of years of huge under investment by Evans.

I too this is 'the' season where we go down

It's been on the cards for years really, the summer transfers were our nail in the coffin for 2018/2019

I can't see how
1- Lambert can even get this team close to winning a run of games
2 - being able to bring in enough quality in Jan to oversee a run of wins every game and 0 losses as by the time we get to Jan we'll prob be about 12 points behind safety

Waka waka eh eh

10 Million War Chest....... on 10:41 - Oct 29 with 4105 viewsSwansea_Blue

1) To convince Lambert to come here
2) To buy better players

We have to strengthen in Jan if there's to be much hope of staying up. But yes, the timing is bad as usual. Mick must be raising a wry smile at the news.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

10 Million War Chest....... on 10:42 - Oct 29 with 4097 viewsNo9

10 Million War Chest....... on 10:37 - Oct 29 by hype313

The midfield has been crap for several years = MM relied on hoof ball to overcome that

& the defence was under pressure because defence side of midfield was equally crap & Town pushed too deep

after all these seasons it is a complete overhaul that is needed

PH at least realised that but didn't;t have the experience necessary to do a re-build job

Maybe PL can
10 Million War Chest....... on 10:43 - Oct 29 with 4082 viewsflimflam

Would need to look at players who are out of contract in the summer as clubs may wish to get something rather then nothing in the summer.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

10 Million War Chest....... on 10:45 - Oct 29 with 4073 viewshype313

10 Million War Chest....... on 10:42 - Oct 29 by No9

The midfield has been crap for several years = MM relied on hoof ball to overcome that

& the defence was under pressure because defence side of midfield was equally crap & Town pushed too deep

after all these seasons it is a complete overhaul that is needed

PH at least realised that but didn't;t have the experience necessary to do a re-build job

Maybe PL can

If he can keep us in the division then it's a possibility, fact is the game/finances have passed Evans by, as each season passes, it will get harder and harder to compete, so we will eventually drop unless either Evans goes hard on spending or sells up.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

10 Million War Chest....... on 11:16 - Oct 29 with 4015 viewsHarryfromBath

10 Million War Chest....... on 10:29 - Oct 29 by Steve_M

Although, I doubt anyone will go down with the 54 points Peterborough did in 2012-13.

The real problem we have is the lack of any presence up front, as has been obvious since we sold Garner but otherwise the squad is probably not a lot worse than when Mick took over. We were a shambles then too, the 5-0 at Palace springs to mind - Murphy, Cresswell and Chambers were all very poor that match but we know what they did afterwards.

Somebody said on here last week, I think, that you get the odd 50-point outlier relegation season, but finishing in the high forties gives you a fighting chance. You never know.

You're spot in in saying that the lack of a threat in the final third is our most pernicious issue. Mullet spotted it straight away at Leeds when Bielsa took off Berardi (a centre-back) for Dallas (a winger) as the Argentine saw we had nothing up front. We will have to live with teams doing this to us up to Christmas, unless Lambert can pull the mother of all rabbits out of his hat.

Stoke fans rated Lambert as a strong defensive coach, so he will have to play this card for all its worth in the initial instance. Don't also exclude the effect that being properly managed and trained will have on the team's confidence. These are straws which we can at least grasp.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

10 Million War Chest....... on 11:47 - Oct 29 with 3970 viewsFifeITFC

Well PL has two options then with his war chest:

1) Do nothing. Get relegated.
2) Get in his Delorean, go back to July and try and get the job/money then.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

10 Million War Chest....... on 12:01 - Oct 29 with 3951 viewssuffolkpoker

I say we call back our kids. Which will strengthen the defence and midfield.

I say we go out and sign a proven goal scorer in this league (yes we will need to spend money in THIS window).

I also wouldnt be surprised if Lambert takes a couple of chances on players abroad.

I can also see him using the Loan market, for another striker.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

10 Million War Chest....... on 12:09 - Oct 29 with 3929 viewsBecclesITFC

Not too hot on football finances, however, I would estimate that 10M is cheap compared to the loss of revenue if we stagnated in L1 for a few seasons. So that 10M story isn't too far fetched IMO
[Post edited 29 Oct 2018 12:21]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024