Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Celebrities promoting wellness fads 11:25 - Oct 29 with 2346 viewsStokieBlue

This is becoming a real issue now with entire brands like Paltrow's Goop doing very well with claims that are scientifically untrue.

This seems to be the latest one - alkaline water:

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2018/oct/29/alkaline-water-cure-bs-science-be

At least this one isn't dangerous, just totally pointless.

SB
[Post edited 29 Oct 2018 11:29]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 11:27 - Oct 29 with 1954 viewswkj

Paktorw's product line is about as credible as Alex Jones' - Hopefully she can get done for hate speech too

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 11:35 - Oct 29 with 1925 viewshomer_123

Agreed but is it any different from the constantly conflicting scientific information we get anyway.

Which has ranged from potatoes are bad for you, no hang on they are fine. Through to Red wine is bad for you, no wait, good for you. Alcohol is bad for you, no wait, in moderation it's fine.

Even the current 5-a-day if you do a little Googling you'll see that the 'reason' it is five is that the Govnt aren't sure we could handle the fact that it needs to be way more than that - as in other Countries.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 11:38 - Oct 29 with 1922 viewsHarry_Palmer

That is ridiculous. Many of us need to drink more water and I personally believe that a decent water filter is a good investment to get a cleaner and better tasting water, but as far as the PH level is concerned I couldn't care less and as the article explains it really doesn't make a jot of difference.
Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 11:42 - Oct 29 with 1908 viewsStokieBlue

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 11:35 - Oct 29 by homer_123

Agreed but is it any different from the constantly conflicting scientific information we get anyway.

Which has ranged from potatoes are bad for you, no hang on they are fine. Through to Red wine is bad for you, no wait, good for you. Alcohol is bad for you, no wait, in moderation it's fine.

Even the current 5-a-day if you do a little Googling you'll see that the 'reason' it is five is that the Govnt aren't sure we could handle the fact that it needs to be way more than that - as in other Countries.

I'd say it's totally different.

Unfortunately people listen to these type of endorsements and are literally p*ssing money away in this case. It's worse when the things being promoted are actually to the detriment of things that actually work which also happens.

Nobody listens to the government, especially this one.

SB

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 11:43 - Oct 29 with 1898 viewsSwansea_Blue

I go hardcore. Nothing but pure Sodium Hydroxide for me.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 11:48 - Oct 29 with 1886 viewsBrixtonBlue

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 11:38 - Oct 29 by Harry_Palmer

That is ridiculous. Many of us need to drink more water and I personally believe that a decent water filter is a good investment to get a cleaner and better tasting water, but as far as the PH level is concerned I couldn't care less and as the article explains it really doesn't make a jot of difference.

The problem with high PH level water is that it isn't as good as the water you had previously and you'll end up throwing it out after 149 days.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 11:55 - Oct 29 with 1865 viewsHarry_Palmer

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 11:48 - Oct 29 by BrixtonBlue

The problem with high PH level water is that it isn't as good as the water you had previously and you'll end up throwing it out after 149 days.

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 12:00 - Oct 29 with 1857 viewsfooters

Anyone who can't see the health benefits of shoving a £200 ceramic egg up their yoni is brainwashed.

And Goop is a horrible name for anything, let alone a 'wellness' brand.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 12:02 - Oct 29 with 1848 viewswkj

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 12:00 - Oct 29 by footers

Anyone who can't see the health benefits of shoving a £200 ceramic egg up their yoni is brainwashed.

And Goop is a horrible name for anything, let alone a 'wellness' brand.

[Post edited 29 Oct 2018 12:03]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 12:41 - Oct 29 with 1787 viewsCoachRob

I guess this feeds into the notion that we are more unhealthy or feel more unhealthy and these are the market solutions to this issue.
Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 12:44 - Oct 29 with 1781 viewsNo9

Maybe the secret is that what comes out of our taps has far too many chemicals in it & not all of them helpful.
What you can't do says a lot for how bad it is
Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 12:51 - Oct 29 with 1766 viewsStokieBlue

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 12:44 - Oct 29 by No9

Maybe the secret is that what comes out of our taps has far too many chemicals in it & not all of them helpful.
What you can't do says a lot for how bad it is

Care to expand on that?

SB

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 13:19 - Oct 29 with 1742 viewsjaykay

most celebs will endorse anything if the pay is alright.

(i know it wasn't considered bad for you at the time)

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 13:33 - Oct 29 with 1726 viewsRyorry

Our water supply is from a groundwater well & the water regularly tested as quite highly acidic - which meant it was leaching metal from the pipework, leading to slightly over the modern limits for lead levels. Have had to have a pH adjuster installed to bring it back down to a pass level - water engineers x 2 have both said that they were taught a slightly alkaline drinking water was better for health anyway (I believe the recommendation is for 6.5-8.5 - mine was 5.8 or so iirc).

Have to say the adjusted water at about 7.0-7.5, tasted disgusting at first - took some getting used to!
[Post edited 29 Oct 2018 13:35]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 13:49 - Oct 29 with 1705 viewsNo9

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 12:51 - Oct 29 by StokieBlue

Care to expand on that?

SB

You can't make decent bread because the chemicals interfere with the yeast fermentation
Brewers don't use mains water
Your local coffee shop will have a barista machine with several inline filters which have to be cleaned frequently
Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 13:52 - Oct 29 with 1695 viewsStokieBlue

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 13:33 - Oct 29 by Ryorry

Our water supply is from a groundwater well & the water regularly tested as quite highly acidic - which meant it was leaching metal from the pipework, leading to slightly over the modern limits for lead levels. Have had to have a pH adjuster installed to bring it back down to a pass level - water engineers x 2 have both said that they were taught a slightly alkaline drinking water was better for health anyway (I believe the recommendation is for 6.5-8.5 - mine was 5.8 or so iirc).

Have to say the adjusted water at about 7.0-7.5, tasted disgusting at first - took some getting used to!
[Post edited 29 Oct 2018 13:35]

"slightly alkaline drinking water was better for health anyway".

This is nonsense though as per the article. This is the issue, what do water engineers know about the internal workings of the human body? Perhaps a lot, but in most cases they aren't experts and shouldn't be treated as such in this field.

SB

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 13:53 - Oct 29 with 1690 viewsStokieBlue

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 13:49 - Oct 29 by No9

You can't make decent bread because the chemicals interfere with the yeast fermentation
Brewers don't use mains water
Your local coffee shop will have a barista machine with several inline filters which have to be cleaned frequently

None of those have anything to do with whether the water if fine to drink or not - the first one especially is a chemical reaction involving enzymes.

To say the water coming out of the tap is dodgy based on that isn't helpful.

SB

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 14:00 - Oct 29 with 1678 viewsRyorry

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 13:52 - Oct 29 by StokieBlue

"slightly alkaline drinking water was better for health anyway".

This is nonsense though as per the article. This is the issue, what do water engineers know about the internal workings of the human body? Perhaps a lot, but in most cases they aren't experts and shouldn't be treated as such in this field.

SB

There is good evidence that very acidic water is a factor in causing serious diseases such as cancer.

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 14:11 - Oct 29 with 1660 viewsStokieBlue

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 14:00 - Oct 29 by Ryorry

There is good evidence that very acidic water is a factor in causing serious diseases such as cancer.

"Very acidic" and "slightly alkaline" are totally different things. It's also not true as highlighted by the UK Cancer Research myths about cancer page:

https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2014/03/24/dont-believe-the-hype-10-per

You can't change the PH of your blood through diet. Propagation of incorrect information is why these wellness remedies do so well.

SB
[Post edited 29 Oct 2018 14:21]

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 14:25 - Oct 29 with 1635 viewsNo9

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 13:53 - Oct 29 by StokieBlue

None of those have anything to do with whether the water if fine to drink or not - the first one especially is a chemical reaction involving enzymes.

To say the water coming out of the tap is dodgy based on that isn't helpful.

SB

Doesn't it depend on what chemicals are put into the water?
What if your pet won't drink it?
Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 14:28 - Oct 29 with 1633 viewsNo9

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 14:11 - Oct 29 by StokieBlue

"Very acidic" and "slightly alkaline" are totally different things. It's also not true as highlighted by the UK Cancer Research myths about cancer page:

https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2014/03/24/dont-believe-the-hype-10-per

You can't change the PH of your blood through diet. Propagation of incorrect information is why these wellness remedies do so well.

SB

"You can't change the PH of your blood through diet."

But a haematologist will tell you some things are not good for your blood.
Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 14:30 - Oct 29 with 1630 viewsStokieBlue

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 14:25 - Oct 29 by No9

Doesn't it depend on what chemicals are put into the water?
What if your pet won't drink it?

You've not listed anything they put in the water which is bad though.

I don't even understand what your second question has to do with anything.

SB

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 14:30 - Oct 29 with 1626 viewsStokieBlue

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 14:28 - Oct 29 by No9

"You can't change the PH of your blood through diet."

But a haematologist will tell you some things are not good for your blood.

You can take it up with cancer research UK. I can't be bothered to go round in circles.

SB

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 14:33 - Oct 29 with 1620 viewsRyorry

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 14:11 - Oct 29 by StokieBlue

SB

That's why I stated that the normal range considered OK is 6.5-8.5

Will look later for the links I saw re studies relating to v. acidic & disease.

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 14:34 - Oct 29 with 1617 viewsNo9

Celebrities promoting wellness fads on 14:30 - Oct 29 by StokieBlue

You've not listed anything they put in the water which is bad though.

I don't even understand what your second question has to do with anything.

SB

You posted "You can't change the PH of your blood through diet."
I'm not sure that is correct but I am sure your diet can be bad for your blood.

Water companies don't list what they put in water. I was very surprised to learn from the regulator that they don't have to hence I can't tell you what is in the water where I live. I was also a bit shocked when the regulator told me that since the water industry has been privatised they have taken no water samples in the area where I live despite the fact here have been complaints.
I had Anglian Water out twice in the last year & all they will tell me & all they are obliged to tell me is that it complies with their specification
Which is ???????
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024