Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Video of Hoddle training at Swindon 21:14 - Oct 30 with 2757 viewsStokieBlue

Hoddle training Moncur at Swindon. Great stuff with Moncur looking more and more perplexed as Hoddle continually scores whilst he doesn't.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

on 21:20 - Oct 30 with 2695 views_

on 08:05 - Oct 31 with 2510 views_

on 21:20 - Oct 30 by _

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 08:39 - Oct 31 with 2461 viewsSteve_M

It's not like Moncur was a bad player either, he had a bit part in our 91-92 team too.

Hoddle at Portman Road that season was superb though, ran the game from the back.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 09:09 - Oct 31 with 2401 viewsBlue_Moses

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 08:39 - Oct 31 by Steve_M

It's not like Moncur was a bad player either, he had a bit part in our 91-92 team too.

Hoddle at Portman Road that season was superb though, ran the game from the back.

That's the best individual performance by an away player I've seen at Portman Road (only started watching in the late 80s).
Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 09:36 - Oct 31 with 2323 viewsStokieBlue

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 08:39 - Oct 31 by Steve_M

That was an amazing performance.

Feel a bit sorry for Moncur watching the video.

SB

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 09:39 - Oct 31 with 2307 viewschicoazul

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 09:36 - Oct 31 by StokieBlue

That was an amazing performance.

Feel a bit sorry for Moncur watching the video.

SB

That video is in a nutshell why Hoddle never really cracked it as a Manager, despite having some great clubs and the top job.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 10:21 - Oct 31 with 2244 viewsWallingford_Boy

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 09:39 - Oct 31 by chicoazul

That video is in a nutshell why Hoddle never really cracked it as a Manager, despite having some great clubs and the top job.

Why do you say that?

encouraging, offering good advice.... why does that make him a bad manager?

RIP Sir Bobby

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 10:27 - Oct 31 with 2236 viewsFreddies_Ears

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 09:39 - Oct 31 by chicoazul

I really wish the England session where he "humiliated" Beckham had been captured. Glenn wanted a free kick delivered in a particular way, to a particular spot. After several failed attempts by Beckham, Glenn stepped in, in regular shoes, and launched an inch-perfect delivery. Beckham was reportedly irate.
Login to get fewer ads

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 10:35 - Oct 31 with 2212 viewschicoazul

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 10:21 - Oct 31 by Wallingford_Boy

Why do you say that?

encouraging, offering good advice.... why does that make him a bad manager?

If that is all he was doing that would be fine but he isnt. He's humiliating the guy, and in front of a camera too. Hoddle is there in the number 10 floating over the ground through the cones and burying every shot. He is proving that he is better than Moncur, it's like a dad in the garden with his son. Grown men don't respond well to that kind of thing. This is why in general, great players do not make great Managers.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 10:43 - Oct 31 with 2196 viewsStokieBlue

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 10:27 - Oct 31 by Freddies_Ears

I really wish the England session where he "humiliated" Beckham had been captured. Glenn wanted a free kick delivered in a particular way, to a particular spot. After several failed attempts by Beckham, Glenn stepped in, in regular shoes, and launched an inch-perfect delivery. Beckham was reportedly irate.

"Garth Crooks, in an early journalism stint for the Sunday Times, described the gulf between Hoddle and his contemporaries when he was player-manager at Swindon Town. Crooks watched his former teammate instruct a midfielder to lob a stationary ball over the heads of defenders 10 yards away and back‑spin it to a dead stop inside the box. After several unsuccessful attempts, the player gave up. Hoddle did it without comment or effort, turned his back and walked away."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/28/glenn-hoddle-genius-tottenham-f

SB

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 10:44 - Oct 31 with 2187 viewsStokieBlue

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 10:35 - Oct 31 by chicoazul

If that is all he was doing that would be fine but he isnt. He's humiliating the guy, and in front of a camera too. Hoddle is there in the number 10 floating over the ground through the cones and burying every shot. He is proving that he is better than Moncur, it's like a dad in the garden with his son. Grown men don't respond well to that kind of thing. This is why in general, great players do not make great Managers.

I don't think he is deliberately humiliating him. He just doesn't understand why he can't do it.

Unfortunately great players often have trouble coaching players who aren't as good as they are/were.

SB

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 10:52 - Oct 31 with 2162 viewschicoazul

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 10:44 - Oct 31 by StokieBlue

I don't think he is deliberately humiliating him. He just doesn't understand why he can't do it.

Unfortunately great players often have trouble coaching players who aren't as good as they are/were.

SB

He isnt deliberately Moncur look bad but he is deliberately making Hoddle look good. Your last point is spot on. Management is about motivating people and getting the maximum out of them.

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 11:27 - Oct 31 with 2126 viewsWallingford_Boy

Video of Hoddle training at Swindon on 10:35 - Oct 31 by chicoazul

Hmmm not sure I agree, he is motivating him, encouraging him and just showing him to do it, hardly showing off.

But what do I know.

RIP Sir Bobby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024