Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fifa considering ruining the world cup four years early 17:34 - Oct 31 with 787 viewsJ2BLUE

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46042794

16 groups of 3 teams, top 2 go through. The group stages I love so much will be all but dead. I despise three team groups. Feels utterly pointless.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Fifa considering ruining the world cup four years early on 17:41 - Oct 31 with 754 viewsThe_Last_Baron

It will turn the World Cup into a charade. For a start each team is guaranteed two games. H FIFA is also considering introducing penalty shoot outs for the group games so there are no draws. Can you believe this nonsense.

I'd rather see the World Cup reduced in size - 16 teams would be excellent. 8 from Europe, 4 from South America and one each from North America (Mexico), Africa, Asia and the hosts. Oceanic can have a play-off with a South American side and lose.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Fifa considering ruining the world cup four years early on 17:57 - Oct 31 with 724 viewsfactual_blue

Fifa considering ruining the world cup four years early on 17:41 - Oct 31 by The_Last_Baron

It will turn the World Cup into a charade. For a start each team is guaranteed two games. H FIFA is also considering introducing penalty shoot outs for the group games so there are no draws. Can you believe this nonsense.

I'd rather see the World Cup reduced in size - 16 teams would be excellent. 8 from Europe, 4 from South America and one each from North America (Mexico), Africa, Asia and the hosts. Oceanic can have a play-off with a South American side and lose.

How it used to be, you mean.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Fifa considering ruining the world cup four years early on 17:59 - Oct 31 with 714 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Fifa considering ruining the world cup four years early on 17:57 - Oct 31 by factual_blue

Yes. Four groups of four, top two go to quarter-finals.

LIke Mexico '70.

Fifa considering ruining the world cup four years early on 18:02 - Oct 31 with 705 viewsPJH

Fifa considering ruining the world cup four years early on 17:57 - Oct 31 by factual_blue

1978 was the last one of those.
1982 was the last one that I watched extensively.

Apparently there was another one recently.

edit-even that 1978 was not a straightforward four groups and then knock out.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2018 18:05]
Fifa considering ruining the world cup four years early on 18:04 - Oct 31 with 702 viewsSuperblue95

The Qatar World Cup will be a farce anyway so they may aswell mess around with it as much as they like. That way when it turns out to be a complete shambles they will hopefully put everything back to normal for the 2026 tournament

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Fifa considering ruining the world cup four years early on 18:04 - Oct 31 with 700 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Fifa considering ruining the world cup four years early on 18:02 - Oct 31 by PJH

1978 was the last one of those.
1982 was the last one that I watched extensively.

Apparently there was another one recently.

edit-even that 1978 was not a straightforward four groups and then knock out.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2018 18:05]

But in '78 they created a second group stage for the last 8 which messed up the format a bit.

A 48 team World Cup will have some real dross in it. The 32 team tournament has enough as it is.

Fifa considering ruining the world cup four years early on 18:06 - Oct 31 with 696 viewsPJH

Fifa considering ruining the world cup four years early on 18:04 - Oct 31 by The_Last_Baron

But in '78 they created a second group stage for the last 8 which messed up the format a bit.

A 48 team World Cup will have some real dross in it. The 32 team tournament has enough as it is.

Yes, I just edited my post about 1978 WC.
Fifa considering ruining the world cup four years early on 18:12 - Oct 31 with 670 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Fifa considering ruining the world cup four years early on 18:04 - Oct 31 by Superblue95

The Qatar World Cup will be a farce anyway so they may aswell mess around with it as much as they like. That way when it turns out to be a complete shambles they will hopefully put everything back to normal for the 2026 tournament

Good point, probably best if the Qatar World Cup has every bad idea included it in so we can get back to a proper tournament in 2026.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024