Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan 09:25 - Nov 1 with 3691 viewsJackSted

So I asked him what his thoughts were on Lambert.

He hated him at Wolves. Apparently he only played his favorites and left some of their good players, at the time, on the bench/reserves. He also played players out of position e.g. Centre Back at RB (reminds me of Mick with Chambers)!

Apparently football was awful too. Long balls etc and misplaced passes was a common thing while he was in charge.

He told me their only positive with Lambert was when they beat Liverpool in the FA Cup lmao.

Even though he told me all that, I told him to fook off! I have a good feeling about Lambert and I'm buzzing for Saturday. COYB!

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 09:29 - Nov 1 with 3628 viewsSteve_M

Managers playing "their favourites" is one of the laziest lines of fan criticism. Good manager consistently pick their best players; we've just seen what happens when a manager doesn't do this.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 09:30 - Nov 1 with 3604 viewsBenters2

Keep us up that will do me for the first season.

Playoffs second season.

Living the dream.
One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 09:33 - Nov 1 with 3570 viewsPJH

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 09:29 - Nov 1 by Steve_M

Managers playing "their favourites" is one of the laziest lines of fan criticism. Good manager consistently pick their best players; we've just seen what happens when a manager doesn't do this.

Yes, perhaps they are the managers "favourites" because they know that they can rely on them to do the required job to the best of their ability?

You could be on to something there.
One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 09:36 - Nov 1 with 3531 viewsNo9

You shpuld have told your mate that after what Town fans have had to endure for the last 10 years anything will probably ( as there are no certainties in fb)be a +
One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 09:38 - Nov 1 with 3506 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Those 'good players' left on the bench I assume were their huge money Portuguese signings who Lambert didn't sign and in all fairness, were probably a luxury you could ill afford in a relegation battle. He did however sign & regularly pick players with championship experience who went on to be core players in their successful promotion season a year later.

Also, compared to what happened after he left (Even bigger influx of expensive players) the fans will naturally look at his time negatively.. But the truth is most likely that he was an ideal manager for them at that time in providing a stable squad and environment for Nuno Espírito Santo to come in and have an impact
One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 09:42 - Nov 1 with 3463 viewsfooters

Compared to what Nuno and his crew are serving up at Molineux these days, I dare say your mate would find Lambert's footy a bit more pedestrian. Be there lies the difference between us, tens of millions of pounds and a certain super-agent.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 09:48 - Nov 1 with 3413 viewsBrianTablet

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 09:33 - Nov 1 by PJH

Yes, perhaps they are the managers "favourites" because they know that they can rely on them to do the required job to the best of their ability?

Yes, Like Doogie. Never once let us down. We were honoured to watch him give 100% of his headless-chicken-running-through-treacle performances.

Or Tabby. Always gave 100% of his 6/10.

Or Chambo, who will always throw his full 100% into the p*ss-poor-right-back-under-any-manager pot.

Footballers. Pah.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 09:51 - Nov 1 with 3385 viewsGeoffSentence

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 09:38 - Nov 1 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Those 'good players' left on the bench I assume were their huge money Portuguese signings who Lambert didn't sign and in all fairness, were probably a luxury you could ill afford in a relegation battle. He did however sign & regularly pick players with championship experience who went on to be core players in their successful promotion season a year later.

Also, compared to what happened after he left (Even bigger influx of expensive players) the fans will naturally look at his time negatively.. But the truth is most likely that he was an ideal manager for them at that time in providing a stable squad and environment for Nuno Espírito Santo to come in and have an impact

Probably just me, but whenever Nuno Espirito Santo is mentioned I can't help but think of this.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 09:53 - Nov 1 with 3373 viewsBrianTablet

But it's true though, they do.

You can try to force a square peg into a round hole as often as you like, but it won't fit.
Even if it kisses your ass in training and talks the talk, it's still in the wrong place.

Who would you rather have at right back.... Kieran Trippier or Cristiano Ronaldo?
But Ronaldo is your best player. And 100% committed.

I know this is slightly facetious, but this is how it often comes across to fans.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2018 10:00]

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 09:55 - Nov 1 with 3343 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Couldnt agree with this more. Managers simply play the best players based on their system and seeing them in training day in day out. Obviously if this doesn't fit with a particular type of fans opinion based on a youtube clip of a player they like and think should be playing then the manager is a dino and playing his favourites to deliberately make his team weaker and only play for draws.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 09:57 - Nov 1 with 3320 viewsJ2BLUE

Three paragraphs of negatives followed by I don’t brlieve it. Why bother posting?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 10:10 - Nov 1 with 3223 viewsGeoffSentence

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 09:57 - Nov 1 by J2BLUE

Three paragraphs of negatives followed by I don’t brlieve it. Why bother posting?

To fair, the same could be said of your response. If you don't like it why not just move on?

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 10:17 - Nov 1 with 3167 viewsJackSted

Why bother replying then pal?

TWTD Supervillain

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 10:18 - Nov 1 with 3158 viewsJackSted

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 09:38 - Nov 1 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Funnily enough they were the huge money Portuguese signings that were left on the bench

TWTD Supervillain

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 10:18 - Nov 1 with 3154 viewsBenters2

Who said the other night 'other threads are available'..
One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 10:22 - Nov 1 with 3117 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 10:18 - Nov 1 by JackSted

Funnily enough they were the huge money Portuguese signings that were left on the bench

"HE WUZ 15MIL SO HE MUSS BE GUUD"
One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 10:24 - Nov 1 with 3091 viewsGeoffSentence

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 10:18 - Nov 1 by Benters2

That was a Dollers gem wasn't it?

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 10:28 - Nov 1 with 3059 viewsDyland

Or at least, pick what they think will be their best team. Which doesn't involve "favourites" in the sense it's meant by critics.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 10:34 - Nov 1 with 3030 viewsLeagueOne

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 09:33 - Nov 1 by PJH

Bit like when that Bobby Robson bloke kept picking that Mick Mills week in and out...

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 10:37 - Nov 1 with 2993 viewsPJH

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 10:34 - Nov 1 by LeagueOne

Bit like when that Bobby Robson bloke kept picking that Mick Mills week in and out...

Yes exactly like that.
He might have kept picking Mick Mills because he sent him a birthday card or he might have kept picking Mick Mills because he knew that he could rely on him doing what was expected/needed.
One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 10:45 - Nov 1 with 2948 viewsLeagueOne

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 10:37 - Nov 1 by PJH

Yes exactly like that.
He might have kept picking Mick Mills because he sent him a birthday card or he might have kept picking Mick Mills because he knew that he could rely on him doing what was expected/needed.

What was funny about all the Mick stick about picking the same players, is under Keane and Jewell, it was almost a case of drawing straws to see what players were in the squad/side which week we had so much change. We wanted stability and a core of players who were here season on season and thats exactly what we needed.

If Mick had been allowed to keep Mings and Murphy, given the resources to sign players like Fraser and Lawrence instead of just loaning them for a season, retaining a bigger experienced squad instead of being forced to trim the fat year on year to bring new faces in, we'd have never dropped below 11th in this league. Mick proved last summer he could still recruit well, he just had to work under the dreaded 5 point plan.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 12:00 - Nov 1 with 2683 viewsGeoffSentence

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 10:37 - Nov 1 by PJH

Yes exactly like that.

I imagine it would be because he admired Mick's wonderful posture. I've never seen another player with such good posture, straight back, erect, fabulous.

I am sure some alexander technique practitioners could use him as a perfect example.

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 12:08 - Nov 1 with 2645 viewsJ2BLUE

One of my closest mates is a Wolves fan on 10:18 - Nov 1 by Benters2

Well not me, but I doubt you’re bothered by the facts.

Just seems pointlessly negative.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024