Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Midfield 12:53 - Nov 1 with 1449 viewsbritbiker

After looking at a different thread, I was trying to think when was the last time we actually had a dominant midfield. We seem to have have been discussing our weak midfield issues for an eternity.

The only good ones of semi recent times I can think of was the Mat Holland or Jim Magilton eras.

The same goes for the right back debate. The last regular right back feels like David Wright and that was an age ago.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2018 14:39]
Midfield on 13:09 - Nov 1 with 1416 viewsEdmundo

I agree: whenever I talk about what we need in midfield, the examples always go back to Holland or Magilton. Dozzell, Huws, Bishop and Chalobah have massive potential, but will we ever even see 3/4 of them on the field together?

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Midfield on 13:09 - Nov 1 with 1416 viewsSteve_M

2014-15 worked pretty well at times:

Two of Hyam/Tabb/Skuse sitting with Bishop/Bru/Williams ahead of them and Hunt or Anderson pressing from the front.

Keane also came up with Garvan/Colback/Leadbitter/Peters which has a blend of everythign and worked well until he messed it up to fit Norris in.

Also, Jim's teams were good in midfield: that first season with Legwinski, then Roberts/Garvan/Williams/Walters in 07-08.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Midfield on 13:11 - Nov 1 with 1402 viewswkj

Midfield on 13:09 - Nov 1 by Steve_M

Two of Hyam/Tabb/Skuse sitting with Bishop/Bru/Williams ahead of them and Hunt or Anderson pressing from the front.

Keane also came up with Garvan/Colback/Leadbitter/Peters which has a blend of everythign and worked well until he messed it up to fit Norris in.

Also, Jim's teams were good in midfield: that first season with Legwinski, then Roberts/Garvan/Williams/Walters in 07-08.

I think we let go of Ando too soon, he was a decent squad player and had these rare moments of excellence, very rare, but still

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Midfield on 13:54 - Nov 1 with 1335 viewsreusersfreekicks

Mick's team never dominated the ball in midfield, ever. Hunt and Anderson were more defensive than offensive.
Midfield on 14:54 - Nov 1 with 1272 viewsbritbiker

Midfield on 13:54 - Nov 1 by reusersfreekicks

Mick's team never dominated the ball in midfield, ever. Hunt and Anderson were more defensive than offensive.

This is the problem, we've had loads of OK players, Garvin, Bru etc but none that any other team would be terrified by.

Anderson was a classic case. He never seemed to run at defenders. It wasn't until he left that I noticed what a good job he actually did tracking back. Was the attacking part a flaw in his game or just what he had to do due to limitations in our team elsewhere.

Bru and Garvin frustrated me. I was always waiting for them to kick on but it never happened. How many games did Bru come on as a sub and turned a game, or you thought he needs to be starting rather than just he did OK. Garvin did have a good pass in him though but he just seemed a bit lightweight.
I know it's a completely different level of financing, but watching Derby play against Chelsea last night, I can really see them playing in the Premier league.
Midfield on 15:06 - Nov 1 with 1252 viewsReuser_is_God

Quite ironic that Norris coming in ruined 2 well balanced midfields there.

14/15 midfield was effective as you mention but it's an area of the team that we've been very poor in over recent years.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Midfield on 15:07 - Nov 1 with 1251 viewsReuser_is_God

Midfield on 13:11 - Nov 1 by wkj

I think we let go of Ando too soon, he was a decent squad player and had these rare moments of excellence, very rare, but still

I wasn't his biggest fan but to bomb he out completely was a mistake. He was someone we could have improved on from the 14/15 team but he should've definitely been a squad player in 15/16.

Same applies to Tabb really. Didn't feature in the league after the PO year.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2018 15:08]

Evans out

Midfield on 15:12 - Nov 1 with 1226 viewsReuser_is_God

Midfield on 13:54 - Nov 1 by reusersfreekicks

Indeed but their jobs were simple.

Press high up the pitch, force mistakes & give it to Murphy would would stick in the net from anywhere.

Evans out

Login to get fewer ads

Midfield on 15:21 - Nov 1 with 1209 viewsWickets

Very true but now the problem seems all over the pitch as we have 2 very good shot stoppers as goalkeepers but both have the same fault, thats judgement of crosses and poor ability on the keeper sweeper role. Central defence we have lost the likes of Berra, Smith, Webster over the last couple of seasons and not replaced then, Carter Vickers papered over that crack for half a season . Up front well lost Dids Waggy ,Garner and Celina ok another loan but decent at this level last year. Replacing these players with others who are unproven as yet at this level was a huge gamble. Was it forced by lack of funds? I totally agree our midfield lack of creativity has been a big problem for several seasons. Arguably our best central midfielders just cant get fit and sadly have become a bit of a drain on what budget managers have got. I support our new manager and hope he can turn it around but think its one hell of a job. !!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024