Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Six years ago today we got our club back 16:01 - Nov 3 with 4114 viewsMullet

It took about 20 mins to see Mick was the right man that day at St Andrews, and would lead the players we had. It feels like deja vu again after seeing that. It couldn't have gone any better could it?

Great tempo from the off, a lovely moment where Sears went in the middle and Roberts covered him to make a run after about 4 or 5 mins. JR looks like a lower league striker, but he's bringing some great industry and earned that penalty. The ref has deserved not to be at this level for two years judging by his bizarre decisions at times but it's benefiting us more then them.

I love that Lambert looks like an accountant on dress down Friday but is kicking and heading everything. His man management and in game coaching was something we never had under Hurst. It's paying dividends already.

Suffocating their midfield nearly cost us. Chalobah without space to roam into and pass the ball will always make mistakes like that backpass likely, but while we haven't had the best out of him bar the odd hollywood ball, it's done a number on PNE.

They made a similar error and from it we chased down the keeper and won the foul. I actually thought he might go for diving in like that given how this ref has run the game.

Lastly. Set pieces. Bizarre Pearson injury type thing aside, who knew Downes could take them? He looks like he's going to be another manager's boy. Can see Lambert already taking him under his wing judging by that.

Also, how is it possible we know how to defend them in less than a week? It's not like PNE can't take them, yet we looked totally different in position and once they come into the box.

You can see why we're bottom of the league. But if we don't make it under Lambert, we'll not get buried judging by this half of football. PNE really aren't sure what to make of us are they? I can see them coming out this half, the way we started the first.

Here's to holding on and maybe taking a few frustrations out on them.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Six years ago today we got our club back on 16:06 - Nov 3 with 3981 viewsRobTheMonk

I almost forgot what a good corner looked like. Lambert is such an organiser - I love it.
Six years ago today we got our club back on 16:18 - Nov 3 with 3860 viewsGlasgowBlue

I don't kn ow what the stats say but it seems to me that most of the goals we have conceded have come from being last to get that second bounce from a set piece. If Lambert can cut that out we will start turning losses into draws and draws into wins.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Six years ago today we got our club back on 16:29 - Nov 3 with 3786 viewsHarry_Palmer

" I love that Lambert looks like an accountant on dress down Friday"

Ha Ha, Love it!
Six years ago today we got our club back on 16:37 - Nov 3 with 3720 viewsGlasgowBlue

Six years ago today we got our club back on 16:18 - Nov 3 by GlasgowBlue

I don't kn ow what the stats say but it seems to me that most of the goals we have conceded have come from being last to get that second bounce from a set piece. If Lambert can cut that out we will start turning losses into draws and draws into wins.

And another set piece.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Six years ago today we got our club back on 17:00 - Nov 3 with 3614 viewsTrequartista

A tad premature.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Six years ago today we got our club back on 17:09 - Nov 3 with 3524 viewsMullet

That's a great illustration of why we're here. Not to feel like fate was tempted, but yet again having a man up and a defence to break down seems to be beyond us. Psychologically rather than physically.

Same as Rotherham's deep banks and narrow formation and Bolton's ability to leave us to ask the questions, we just have no idea what to do when the pendulum swings our way.

Gutting as it is, at least Lambert will know who he can trust after that. Who followed instructions who lost it etc. No complaints with their goal, superb free kick, but to only test them once with a volley is poor.

We've got precious little goal threat as is, so aerial bombardment and not running at players who can't afford to get booked was baffling. Skuse's volley was comedic, but then he saves us with two fantastic slide tackles when others misjudge the ball. I thought he gave us the best hop by recycling the ball so much.

A point is better than we might have hoped for before the game, but in the context, it's really frustrating to not just have forced shot after shot with what we had out there. The difference between Pearson and Dozzell/Chalobah was the kicker. What that lad can do on the ball and how he manages a game is something we just can't produce.

Can see Lambert being ok with today, but it's an opportunity missed. No two ways about that.

Six years ago today we got our club back on 17:11 - Nov 3 with 3469 viewsVic

Six years ago today we got our club back on 16:06 - Nov 3 by RobTheMonk

I almost forgot what a good corner looked like. Lambert is such an organiser - I love it.

And yet, when we really needed them against the outfield keeper we couldn’t deliver. Confirms that the problem is in the head not the foot.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Six years ago today we got our club back on 17:58 - Nov 3 with 3198 viewschristiand

Six years ago today we got our club back on 17:09 - Nov 3 by Mullet

That's a great illustration of why we're here. Not to feel like fate was tempted, but yet again having a man up and a defence to break down seems to be beyond us. Psychologically rather than physically.

Same as Rotherham's deep banks and narrow formation and Bolton's ability to leave us to ask the questions, we just have no idea what to do when the pendulum swings our way.

Gutting as it is, at least Lambert will know who he can trust after that. Who followed instructions who lost it etc. No complaints with their goal, superb free kick, but to only test them once with a volley is poor.

We've got precious little goal threat as is, so aerial bombardment and not running at players who can't afford to get booked was baffling. Skuse's volley was comedic, but then he saves us with two fantastic slide tackles when others misjudge the ball. I thought he gave us the best hop by recycling the ball so much.

A point is better than we might have hoped for before the game, but in the context, it's really frustrating to not just have forced shot after shot with what we had out there. The difference between Pearson and Dozzell/Chalobah was the kicker. What that lad can do on the ball and how he manages a game is something we just can't produce.

Can see Lambert being ok with today, but it's an opportunity missed. No two ways about that.

Very measured Mullet with many points raised I concur with. PL isn't going to be able to change things dramatically in 5 days, so yes it's frustrating we were unable to win the game and claim all 3 points, but we didn't lose. If we had, this probably would've dented the fragile confidence in the side even more and set us further back especially against 10 men. I feel we have to be realistic, it's going to take time for PL to iron out issues in this side and rebuild them. He has another week with the squad next week to work with them leading up to the Reading game and as many have said about the first half display today there were encouraging signs. If we can get some sort of result that will give us hope leading into the next international break this will further strength the squad's resolve and belief. All is not lost, yes we are 5 points adrift but it's not insurmountable. PL needs time to fix what's broken and then build from there. Strangely, I find myself the most optimistic I have been about our survival prospects in recent weeks. Bizarre really.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Login to get fewer ads

Six years ago today we got our club back on 19:13 - Nov 3 with 2961 viewsMullet

Six years ago today we got our club back on 17:58 - Nov 3 by christiand

Very measured Mullet with many points raised I concur with. PL isn't going to be able to change things dramatically in 5 days, so yes it's frustrating we were unable to win the game and claim all 3 points, but we didn't lose. If we had, this probably would've dented the fragile confidence in the side even more and set us further back especially against 10 men. I feel we have to be realistic, it's going to take time for PL to iron out issues in this side and rebuild them. He has another week with the squad next week to work with them leading up to the Reading game and as many have said about the first half display today there were encouraging signs. If we can get some sort of result that will give us hope leading into the next international break this will further strength the squad's resolve and belief. All is not lost, yes we are 5 points adrift but it's not insurmountable. PL needs time to fix what's broken and then build from there. Strangely, I find myself the most optimistic I have been about our survival prospects in recent weeks. Bizarre really.

I think he's got as much chance as Mick if not a little more because the defence is already there, and just been under utilised. Today proved that fairly conclusively. We also own most of these players and have room to manouvre in the loan market much more because of that.

What's screaming out is the lack of threat, and with that lack of belief. He couldn't bridge that gap beyond the 60-70 minute mark today and that injury time had me screaming and swearing at the feed.

PNE knew what to do to survive and how to pose enough threat to make us stutter. That's the killer today. I do think that if we had Harrison he'd have thrived with that sort of (lack of) service and taken over from Roberts.

Jackson is the last striker you need to play aerial battles, when they've just tucked Moult back in midfield to dominate Chalobah in the air too.

Six years ago today we got our club back on 19:22 - Nov 3 with 2928 viewsLankHenners

Six years ago today we got our club back on 17:09 - Nov 3 by Mullet

Problem is we're in a scenario where producing positive displays and showing promising signs is far from enough and as you say, they become missed opportunities.

A real lack of quality/experience is so obvious - we tried too hard to force a goal at the end when we needed to keep calm, get the ball wide to stretch them out or drive at them if they still kept narrow. One move where Knudsen, Sears and Rowe managed to get the latter to blast a ball low into the box for a corner was something we should have done more of.

Silly to give that free kick away in the first place which was annoying but agree, great strike.

Pearson also offers being a complete tw@t i.e. getting in the ref's face, forcing him to give him decisions when he wants etc. The man in black should have been more forceful on him (and them as a whole) doing that but it's something we've not been good at since the Hunt sisters were here and Jim a while before that.

Have to beat Reading. Have to.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Six years ago today we got our club back on 20:51 - Nov 3 with 2772 viewspositivity

"It couldn't have gone any better could it?"
we could've won a game playing 20 minutes against 10 men without a keeper, that could've gone better! other than that, good post!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Six years ago today we got our club back on 21:02 - Nov 3 with 2717 viewssudburyblue16

Six years ago today we got our club back on 20:51 - Nov 3 by positivity

"It couldn't have gone any better could it?"
we could've won a game playing 20 minutes against 10 men without a keeper, that could've gone better! other than that, good post!

Mullet posted this at halftime.
Six years ago today we got our club back on 21:06 - Nov 3 with 2683 viewspositivity

Six years ago today we got our club back on 21:02 - Nov 3 by sudburyblue16

Mullet posted this at halftime.

oops! good point!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Six years ago today we got our club back on 09:27 - Nov 4 with 2318 viewsMullet

Six years ago today we got our club back on 17:58 - Nov 3 by christiand

I really like Ward, but can't see him getting back in if Rowe comes into the side. We need players who are perhaps more direct and limited in their positions to build an attack around for now.

Mick could really see something in him, so it's frustrating it's taken until now to see him ready and then Hurst just fcuked him off for ten mins at Hull. Ward has become a victim of his own versatility but I wonder if he and a handful of others have been really damaged by Hurst, in terms of mentality.

I can see Roberts being used like Nouble was, to soften up teams and put himself about. Really we need the window and Harrison to come back. We're so short of options it's no wonder we can't unpick teams.

Six years ago today we got our club back on 09:31 - Nov 4 with 2292 viewsBluebell

Six years ago today we got our club back on 16:06 - Nov 3 by RobTheMonk

Unfortunately they weren't good corners. They either went to the first man or way over all the players.

We need a corner taker like Waghorn who could put a ball just where it was needed.
Six years ago today we got our club back on 09:35 - Nov 4 with 2264 viewsPJH

Six years ago today we got our club back on 09:31 - Nov 4 by Bluebell

Unfortunately they weren't good corners. They either went to the first man or way over all the players.

We need a corner taker like Waghorn who could put a ball just where it was needed.

Looking dangerous from set pieces is one of the things that we have lost from last season.
Last season even if we were not looking threatening in open play at least there was always the prospect of a goal from a Waggy freekick or corner.

I would hope that Paul Lambert works out a way of once again making our dead ball situations a threat.
Six years ago today we got our club back on 10:13 - Nov 4 with 2192 viewscbower

Six years ago today we got our club back on 09:27 - Nov 4 by Mullet

I really like Ward, but can't see him getting back in if Rowe comes into the side. We need players who are perhaps more direct and limited in their positions to build an attack around for now.

Mick could really see something in him, so it's frustrating it's taken until now to see him ready and then Hurst just fcuked him off for ten mins at Hull. Ward has become a victim of his own versatility but I wonder if he and a handful of others have been really damaged by Hurst, in terms of mentality.

I can see Roberts being used like Nouble was, to soften up teams and put himself about. Really we need the window and Harrison to come back. We're so short of options it's no wonder we can't unpick teams.

Made the trip from Huddersfield today and generally enjoyed the game. Roberts did well but was clearly goosed after an hour. His performance put the position of Jackson into perspective. Yes he has pace but right now that is his only genuine asset. He has little physical presence and his touch is dubious. We looked significantly poorer when he replaced Roberts. Not giving up on him but £1.6 million looks way over the top. Harrison actually showed far more in the first few games despite playing in not so splendid isolation. We could do with him back pronto like you say. Edwards frustrates the he'll out of me. It's all anticipation and buzz but rarely effective delivery. Bart still looks out of sorts. His attempt to get down to the free kick just looked feeble and half hearted or maybe I am being too harsh? What a tackle by Pennington. The lad gives 100%. Will be interesting to see what Lambert does between now and January and even more interesting who he targets up top. Will be really hard to attract quality on a permanent deal. Does he go younger premiership loan, ageing but Wiley old has been like Crouch, or lower league potential with an eye to building for a bounce back following season whilst hoping for a quick impact too? Whatever he does, I hope that players are through the door early. We can't wait until the end of the window.

bluescouser

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024