Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A step in the right direction but... 06:30 - Nov 4 with 2394 viewshomer_123

Yesterday, well having slept on it, it's safe to say that there were distinct positives.

1. Organised...as a team we looked far more organised. Players seemed to have a clear idea of the system, formation and their role in it.

2. Passing...a lot more passing and attempts at moving the ball through the midfield. Pleasing to see that Lambert was encouraging this from the off.

3. Confidence...we looked more confident on and off the ball. Which is great to see. The change from the last few matches is palpable and pleasingly surprising.

4. Roberts...although he ran out of steam, he seemed a very decent target man. Worked their defence very well. Something Jackson can learn from.

5. Pennington and Chambers...that is looking more and more like a very solid partnership. They seem to work and communicate with each other very well.

There was some decent football yesterday, certainly signs of what Lambert wants from his team. However, taking yesterday in isolation somewhat.

1. Pen...not seen highlights but it looked soft. Either way, had it not been for the pen we still didn't create much or look like scoring. This is a major concern as we knew before yesterday's match, lambert has serious work to do here.

2. Match saving tackle...we would not have deserved to lose. However if it weren't for Pennington we would have...superb tackle.

3. Reverting to type...for all the good work in the first half trying to play a bit of football, once they were down to 10 we just went long ball when the game was for the taking. Very frustrating.

4. 2 points dropped...no getting away from it, we dropped 2 points. We MUST win these home games and for all the positives we couldn't yesterday.

Green shoots for sure yesterday, some real positives but such a long way to go. Was pleasing to see a marked change in the lads but it won't last without a win. Not meaning to be negative just realistic, we have a chance under Lambert for sure but we must start winning games.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

A step in the right direction but... on 07:46 - Nov 4 with 2269 viewsSteve_M

The penalty was definite, keeper caught Roberts as he went past him. Having seen it again, he was lucky it was only a yellow card although at the time I thought it was correct. Now the free kick they scored from was soft, poor challenge from Edwards though.

I think we ran out of energy on about 65 minutes and then their goal knocked us back. We actually needed to slow things down and show some composure at that point. That will improve but, as you say, we need to start winning games.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A step in the right direction but... on 07:57 - Nov 4 with 2228 viewsGeoffSentence

It is often striking how differently people see the same game, so it is pleasing when someone sees it in exactly the same way.

I couldn't agree more with your assessment.

the biggest negative from the game for me, was how we lost our ccomposure after their keeper was sent off. It looked as if we were in a hurry and couldn't keep possession as a result. If we had played like we did earlier in the game we would have put them under more pressure and may have won it.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

A step in the right direction but... on 08:02 - Nov 4 with 2202 viewsTractorWood

A step in the right direction but... on 07:57 - Nov 4 by GeoffSentence

It is often striking how differently people see the same game, so it is pleasing when someone sees it in exactly the same way.

the biggest negative from the game for me, was how we lost our ccomposure after their keeper was sent off. It looked as if we were in a hurry and couldn't keep possession as a result. If we had played like we did earlier in the game we would have put them under more pressure and may have won it.

Agree. We just lost our cool and starting rushing everything in the wrong way. Thought Preston were pretty poor. Maybe I'm being harsh but we had the perfect opportunity for a dead cat bounce and squandered it.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

A step in the right direction but... on 08:11 - Nov 4 with 2174 viewsHarry_Palmer

Good post, agree with all of that.
A step in the right direction but... on 08:30 - Nov 4 with 2105 viewshomer_123

A step in the right direction but... on 07:46 - Nov 4 by Steve_M

The penalty was definite, keeper caught Roberts as he went past him. Having seen it again, he was lucky it was only a yellow card although at the time I thought it was correct. Now the free kick they scored from was soft, poor challenge from Edwards though.

I think we ran out of energy on about 65 minutes and then their goal knocked us back. We actually needed to slow things down and show some composure at that point. That will improve but, as you say, we need to start winning games.

Not seen it yet Steve. Wasn't going away from goal, in terms of red v yellow?

Yes, I think we lost our energy and our way after that 65 min period....as I said, we ended up going very direct whereas if we'd kept the ball (composure as you say) more we could have worked them more. That was frustrating from yesterday.

A step in the right direction but... on 08:38 - Nov 4 with 2048 viewshomer_123

It's a real shame as, the first half in particular, we looked good at times, even if we didn't threaten.

We should have won it really...def 2 points dropped.

A step in the right direction but... on 08:51 - Nov 4 with 1990 viewsGluedtoBlue

Penalty was definite. Thought yellow was right decision given the double jeopardy rules as keeper was attempting to play ball.

My biggest annoyance after the red card was that we failed to put in a decent set piece. Was hoping to see us stick a few under the crossbar.

Some promising aspects but unfortunately lacking in final third. Lambert needs us to stay close to teams around us come January and we'll have a chance.

Poll: Who do you hate the most?

A step in the right direction but... on 09:06 - Nov 4 with 1899 viewsSWGF

Two more positives were the substitutions (Lambert was proactive; he was ready making the Jackson sub before they scored) and us getting bodies into the box (in the first half especially).

When they went down to ten men, Lambert was constantly telling the team to get the ball down and stretch PNE wider and wider. Problem was that we seemed to lack the confidence that we could actually break them down (see Bolton), our crossing was poor and/or there was nobody on the end of anything.

Our attacking frailties are nothing that we don't know. It will be what sees us go down (if we do). PH has a lot to answer for in that respect. I don't know whether he underestimated the Champ or overestimated the replacements he brought in, but I'd like to know who the hell he thought was going to score enough goals for us to remain in the league.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Login to get fewer ads

A step in the right direction but... on 09:14 - Nov 4 with 1852 viewsRegencyBlue

Lamberts not going to turn this around overnight but given he had only had a few days with the squad there were some promising signs.

Can’t afford to lose to Reading next week. Hopefully we will take decent following down there and really get behind the team.
A step in the right direction but... on 10:40 - Nov 4 with 1705 viewsBlueBadger

I suspect a more confident, less demotivated side would have comfortably won yesterday. As Lambert settles in I'm sure that'll change.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A step in the right direction but... on 10:47 - Nov 4 with 1686 viewsDennyx4

A couple of thoughts, but agree with majority.

1) We struggle to create, when teams defend deeper. After Roberts went off, I cant remember us winning a header in the final third. In hindsight could we have put a centre half up top (bit like the old days in the FA cup - when you needed a goal).

2) Preston were happy with the draw, from the start - have seen this previously with Alex Neil. The amount of time wasting was evident, before the penalty. Maybe to take the sting out of the game/crowd.
A step in the right direction but... on 10:50 - Nov 4 with 1672 viewscasanovacrow

A step in the right direction but... on 07:46 - Nov 4 by Steve_M

Wasn't there a rule change about penalties? If a player makes a genuine attempt at a ball only a yellow can be given?
A step in the right direction but... on 10:53 - Nov 4 with 1654 viewsDennyx4

A step in the right direction but... on 10:50 - Nov 4 by casanovacrow

Wasn't there a rule change about penalties? If a player makes a genuine attempt at a ball only a yellow can be given?

yes, correct - I assume Steve is querying the genuine attempt at the ball?
A step in the right direction but... on 11:02 - Nov 4 with 1620 viewsGuthrum

A step in the right direction but... on 09:06 - Nov 4 by SWGF

Two more positives were the substitutions (Lambert was proactive; he was ready making the Jackson sub before they scored) and us getting bodies into the box (in the first half especially).

When they went down to ten men, Lambert was constantly telling the team to get the ball down and stretch PNE wider and wider. Problem was that we seemed to lack the confidence that we could actually break them down (see Bolton), our crossing was poor and/or there was nobody on the end of anything.

Our attacking frailties are nothing that we don't know. It will be what sees us go down (if we do). PH has a lot to answer for in that respect. I don't know whether he underestimated the Champ or overestimated the replacements he brought in, but I'd like to know who the hell he thought was going to score enough goals for us to remain in the league.

I really think Hurst didn't understand defences are that much bigger, stronger, faster and better organised in the Champ than the divisions below. There isn't so much looseness which can be exploited by pacy strikers running and shooting on their own.

Which possibly also meant he didn't concentrate hard enough on organising our own.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

A step in the right direction but... on 11:32 - Nov 4 with 1558 viewsSWGF

A step in the right direction but... on 10:47 - Nov 4 by Dennyx4

A couple of thoughts, but agree with majority.

1) We struggle to create, when teams defend deeper. After Roberts went off, I cant remember us winning a header in the final third. In hindsight could we have put a centre half up top (bit like the old days in the FA cup - when you needed a goal).

2) Preston were happy with the draw, from the start - have seen this previously with Alex Neil. The amount of time wasting was evident, before the penalty. Maybe to take the sting out of the game/crowd.

Don't have a problem with 2.

I'd hope we'll be doing the same in our away matches.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

A step in the right direction but... on 11:44 - Nov 4 with 1534 viewspointofblue

My big concern is it felt like a strong Hurst performance - a show of real promise, akin to the second half against Brentford, which couldn’t be sustained across the 90 minutes. Our play against ten men and a midfielder in goal was utterly pathetic; though Lambert praised them all rightly in the press conference I bet he was fuming deep down.

So Reading becomes key. We need to show this ability and consistency across more than one match for 90 minutes. Yesterday was a decent start but, when it comes to this season, nothing we hadn’t seen before.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

A step in the right direction but... on 12:09 - Nov 4 with 1470 viewsblueislander

A step in the right direction but... on 08:30 - Nov 4 by homer_123

Not seen it yet Steve. Wasn't going away from goal, in terms of red v yellow?

Yes, I think we lost our energy and our way after that 65 min period....as I said, we ended up going very direct whereas if we'd kept the ball (composure as you say) more we could have worked them more. That was frustrating from yesterday.

It is very disappointing that they reverted to hoof , bit I guess that years of playing that way won't disappear onvernight.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024