Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally 15:28 - Nov 5 with 3817 viewsstickymockwell

I've just had a survey done on my house and it needs sorting and I've agreed with the buyer that I will pay for it.
Does anyone have a rough idea what a 2 bed semi will cost? It's just low level damp but the house is over 500 years old.

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: Best left back in the last 10 years

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 16:51 - Nov 5 with 3733 viewsSacrebleu

Grade 2 listed ? That gets a whole lot more expensive.
Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 17:32 - Nov 5 with 3719 viewsfactual_blue

If you give me £20k I'll have a bash.

Not done it before, but you've got to start somewhere.

Cash up front please to the Factual Bank of St Lucia.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 18:02 - Nov 5 with 3703 viewsitfcjoe

We use Promark, they are very reasonable. Phil is the main guy there

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 18:09 - Nov 5 with 3696 viewsstickymockwell

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 18:02 - Nov 5 by itfcjoe

Cheers
I'll give him a bell.

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: Best left back in the last 10 years

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 18:32 - Nov 5 with 3676 viewslowhouseblue

if it's 500 years old proceed very carefully - injecting stuff is often not the right answer. If it had been damp for 500 years it wouldn't still be standing - it's likely that something done more recently is the source of the problem. using modern treatments that risk trapping damp may make things worse. increasing breathability and removing modern impermeable stuff may be better. it wasn't built with a damp course and treated properly it probably doesn't need one.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 19:47 - Nov 5 with 3631 viewsclive_baker

Heard Maljon are decent

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 19:57 - Nov 5 with 3619 viewsfabian_illness

https://www.tflower.uk

Tony Flower has done work for us for years.
Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 20:34 - Nov 5 with 3589 viewsdickie

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 19:57 - Nov 5 by fabian_illness

https://www.tflower.uk

Tony Flower has done work for us for years.

My folks used Tony in their old victorian place in trimley. We had him do a survey for us on a property we considered buying, he was very good, very honest
Login to get fewer ads

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 20:42 - Nov 5 with 3578 viewsKeno

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 18:02 - Nov 5 by itfcjoe

no wonder he didn't get time to do a proper report on Wilnis getting a new job if he's moonlighting as a builder!!
[Post edited 5 Nov 2018 21:10]

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 20:42 - Nov 5 with 3578 viewsitfcjoe

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 19:47 - Nov 5 by clive_baker

Heard Maljon are decent

We've also used them and they were good too.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 20:58 - Nov 5 with 3566 viewsFunge

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 20:42 - Nov 5 by itfcjoe

We've also used them and they were good too.

Tony Flower down in Fuluxstoo are also pretty good, altho a tad pricey.

Oh, they're now based in Ransomes.

Apols Budgycrusher, missed your post unut.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2018 21:00]
Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 01:06 - Nov 6 with 3431 viewsGuthrum

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 18:32 - Nov 5 by lowhouseblue

if it's 500 years old proceed very carefully - injecting stuff is often not the right answer. If it had been damp for 500 years it wouldn't still be standing - it's likely that something done more recently is the source of the problem. using modern treatments that risk trapping damp may make things worse. increasing breathability and removing modern impermeable stuff may be better. it wasn't built with a damp course and treated properly it probably doesn't need one.

Alternatively, with some historical building materials, drying them out completely can cause problems. Clunch is a stone used in old cottages on part of the Cambridgeshire-Suffolk border (Burwell Blue will probably have heard of this). When modern central heating was fitted, they dried out and began to crumble.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 08:24 - Nov 6 with 3324 viewsuefacup81

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 18:32 - Nov 5 by lowhouseblue

I agree with this entirely.

Regardless of the age of the property, there is a skepticism within the surveying industry over whether 'rising damp' is as big an issue as damp-proofing contractors would have you believe.

As Lowhouse says, if the damp was endemic over the 500-year life of the property, it's likely you'd be looking at bigger issues than some damp.

Chances are that the damp is as a result of lifestyle, or modern alterations to the property. Where has the damp been found? Depending on the location, there's more than a good chance that it could be condensation-related.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 08:50 - Nov 6 with 3305 viewslowhouseblue

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 01:06 - Nov 6 by Guthrum

Alternatively, with some historical building materials, drying them out completely can cause problems. Clunch is a stone used in old cottages on part of the Cambridgeshire-Suffolk border (Burwell Blue will probably have heard of this). When modern central heating was fitted, they dried out and began to crumble.

indeed. buildings survive for centuries because putting all their different parts together they work harmoniously. the materials breathe, chimneys etc provide ventilation, the walls absorb and then release moisture. mess with one bit of that system and you can do great damage. clunch is hydroscopic so if you seal it off from all moisture - either through an unventilated centrally heated interior or through modern impermeable materials and treatments - you will have problems.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 08:56 - Nov 6 with 3288 viewsuefacup81

I don't know whether you're talking about solid brick, or clay lump, but if it's the latter then Breckland Council have produced a useful advice leaflet:

https://www.breckland.gov.uk/media/2046/Clay-Lump-Advice-Leaflet/pdf/claylump.pd

Can anyone recomend someone/business that can do damp course locally on 09:24 - Nov 6 with 3254 viewsuefacup81

Also, I'd be inclined to ask whether a surveyor recommending a DPC on a 500-year-old Grade II listed building has the necessary skills and experience to be surveying and commenting upon buildings of this age and type.

Before you set out to have expensive (and potentially futile/damaging) works undertaken, it might be worth seeking the advice of an independent surveyor to see what they make of the situation.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024