Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smokers / Ex-Smokers 15:04 - Nov 6 with 7785 viewsMeenoITFC

I'm 20, been smoking for 4 years now, people always say I should give it up. I would like to, but as the saying goes I 'don't have a reason too'.

Of course the health and money reasons but I actually don't mind smoking. What are your thoughts and how would you advise on stopping without a solid reason.

Poll: Is Jonny Williams worth signing

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:05 - Nov 6 with 4893 viewswkj

Personally i tried a variety of things, but vaping on a tank liquid e-cig got me off of fags in 2 weeks, and i stopped vaping in 6 months

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:09 - Nov 6 with 4867 viewsWeWereZombies

You say you would like to but have no reason to, what is it you like about the thought of giving up? Why is that not enough reason?

Just go for it, stop. First month is hell, easier day by day after that. If you make it to seven years you have probably got it beaten. That's how I did it...and the third or fourth go worked. the

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:09 - Nov 6 with 4865 viewsGeoffSentence

So you are a 20 year old lad.

If you are like any other normal 20 year old there should be only one thing that matters

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/smokers-less-attrac

Giving up smoking will improve your chances of copping off.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:10 - Nov 6 with 4857 viewsBluebell

'but I actually don't mind smoking'.

Surely that is reason enough to give up. If you were addicted or enjoying it too much you would struggle but 'not minding' surely means you don't have to.

For your health alone you should give up.
Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:10 - Nov 6 with 4855 viewsPinewoodblue

If you can't think of a reason just calculate how much your habit costs you each year.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:10 - Nov 6 with 4855 viewsjeera

I once said similar to a doc at a hospital visit and he replied that I should pop along to the respiratory ward where I would see a dozen or so reasons.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2018 16:34]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:18 - Nov 6 with 4836 viewsBattersea_Blue

Once a smoker always a smoker in my experience.

I gave up on June 6th, 1983, when my wife got pregnant with our first duaghter. It was hell for a few weeks but managed to quit completely.

Jump forward to 2007 I took the family on holiday to the Bahamas, including my daughter's boyfriend. Trying to impress father-in-law, he turned up at the hotel bar one night with a large Cuban cigar. It was fantastic, completely relaxed me. That was the beginning of the end, slowly started having the odd cigar, now hooked on Hamlet.

Don't let that put you off though. Give up.
Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:21 - Nov 6 with 4817 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

You might find a reason in 20 years and wish you gave up earlier.

You might wish you could play football with your kids without running out of breath and coughing your guts up?

Ive never met anyone who regretted giving up.

If money, health and personal hygiene (trust me, your clothes, car and house do smell) are not good enough reasons...... then so be it.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:22 - Nov 6 with 4793 viewsBluebell

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:18 - Nov 6 by Battersea_Blue

Once a smoker always a smoker in my experience.

I gave up on June 6th, 1983, when my wife got pregnant with our first duaghter. It was hell for a few weeks but managed to quit completely.

Jump forward to 2007 I took the family on holiday to the Bahamas, including my daughter's boyfriend. Trying to impress father-in-law, he turned up at the hotel bar one night with a large Cuban cigar. It was fantastic, completely relaxed me. That was the beginning of the end, slowly started having the odd cigar, now hooked on Hamlet.

Don't let that put you off though. Give up.

'now hooked on Hamlet'

Don't worry about that. A lot of people like Shakespeare.
Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:23 - Nov 6 with 4785 viewswkj

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:22 - Nov 6 by Bluebell

'now hooked on Hamlet'

Don't worry about that. A lot of people like Shakespeare.

You've had too much lemonade today dear friend.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:37 - Nov 6 with 4728 viewsDeano69

Apart from the 2 fully valid reasons you have already identified, its not a great attribute to smell of smoke/nicotine when try to attract a partner.

I gave up over 25 years ago having been an avid smoker (i once went through a carton at a bank holiday weekend) and now wish i never started.

I too used to like all the aspects of smoking, buying the shiny packets, the wrappings, the foil, the smell of a new packet, and actually smoking itself. It was a bit more social in my day too. But now I look back it feels so daft. Purposely inhaling toxic smoke into your body.

If you needed any additional reason, a visit to the respiratory ward in a hospital might prove interesting.

Likewise, I too would not give up and the more people tried to make me the more I smoked. It had to be my choice and one day i just gave up. Waited until it tasted horrid (which they do occasionally) and that was my last recollection.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:39 - Nov 6 with 4718 viewsBasuco

You could wait until you have a heart attack, stroke or get cancer then you will have a solid reason to give up. Or continue to pay the high tax and while you are still alive to help pay off the budget deficit. Nicotine is a well known killer is that not a solid enough reason to give up?
Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:39 - Nov 6 with 4711 viewsJ2BLUE

Sorry but this might be the dumbest post in TWTD history.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:58 - Nov 6 with 4663 viewsFixed_It

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:39 - Nov 6 by J2BLUE

Sorry but this might be the dumbest post in TWTD history.

Indeed. Makes your culinary suggestions look positively sensible.

OK - I've gone too far.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:59 - Nov 6 with 4665 viewsDanTheMan

The solid reasons are that it costs a lot of money and literally kills you.

I don't know many better reasons there are for not doing things than "kills you".

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 16:04 - Nov 6 with 4641 viewsGeoffSentence

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:59 - Nov 6 by DanTheMan

I don't know many better reasons there are for not doing things than "kills you".

It's not just that it kills you though, it can really screw up your quality of life for years before it finally takes you.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 16:06 - Nov 6 with 4634 viewsJohnWarksTash

If you fancy spending the day working in a radiotherapy/ oncology department with the patients who 'didn't have a reason to stop' you are more than welcome to give me a shout.
Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 16:12 - Nov 6 with 4610 viewsReuser_is_God

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:59 - Nov 6 by DanTheMan

Yeah but what if you “don’t mind it”?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 16:23 - Nov 6 with 4585 viewsLord_Lucan

Smoking makes you look cool.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 16:23 - Nov 6 with 4584 viewsBlueBadger

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 16:04 - Nov 6 by GeoffSentence

It's not just that it kills you though, it can really screw up your quality of life for years before it finally takes you.

Oh god yeah. Come and take a tour round any respiratory ward in a hospital sometime and see what COPD can do to to you.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 16:48 - Nov 6 with 4522 viewsCoastalblue

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 16:23 - Nov 6 by BlueBadger

Oh god yeah. Come and take a tour round any respiratory ward in a hospital sometime and see what COPD can do to to you.

My old man was a smoker until his late 60's, he ended up with COPD and then went to lung cancer a couple of years ago.

I smoked into my forties, an extremely committed smoker, the best thing I ever did was to give up, not because I'm afraid it will kill me, but because of the horrible lingering suffering you have to go through before you die.

To be honest, I doubt you'll stop until you're ready to have kids or similar but if you can then you really, really should, not because you might die, we're all going to do that, but because you might have a very long, slow and painful death.

If your 50's and 60's seem a long way off now, trust me they're not.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 17:06 - Nov 6 with 4482 viewsJon_456

If I came up to you and said i'm going to take £20+ of you every week and in return you get absolutely nothing, other than some health issues later in life, would you go for it?

Because that's effectively what you're doing.

Do you understand how silly your question was now?
Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 17:08 - Nov 6 with 4479 viewshampstead_blue

I used Alan Carr, Easy Way on audiobook. However, if you want to smoke, go for it.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 17:20 - Nov 6 with 4455 viewsDarth_Koont

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 15:21 - Nov 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

You might find a reason in 20 years and wish you gave up earlier.

You might wish you could play football with your kids without running out of breath and coughing your guts up?

Ive never met anyone who regretted giving up.

If money, health and personal hygiene (trust me, your clothes, car and house do smell) are not good enough reasons...... then so be it.

"I've never met anyone who regretted giving up."

Agreed. Of course they're likely to miss the occasional perfect cigarette with a coffee, after a meal, after sex — or all three if you're lucky! But it's only those ones not all the other ones that more or less bring you from a nicotine-induced minus to a temporary zero.

Pronouns: He/Him

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 17:45 - Nov 6 with 4416 viewsBlueBadger

Smokers / Ex-Smokers on 16:12 - Nov 6 by Reuser_is_God

Yeah but what if you “don’t mind it”?

Then you'll have plenty of time to reflect what an idiot your younger self was when you're dying piece by piece of COPD and lung cancer.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024