Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This seems incredibly harsh from Monbiot 10:04 - Nov 8 with 845 viewsStokieBlue

Not for the first time I guess but he's having a right pop at Attenborough here:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/07/david-attenborough-world-e

I think it's pretty harsh, sure the documentaries aren't wall-to-wall pictures of environmental destruction but they spend a good amount of the time highlighting environmental issues and habitat loss.

Seems most of the comments don't agree with him either.

SB
[Post edited 8 Nov 2018 10:05]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This seems incredibly harsh from Monbiot on 10:10 - Nov 8 with 820 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yeah, I saw that yesterday - very brave taking a pop at a national treasure. Attenborough's approach has been somewhat proven by the plastic example. He said at the time he had to present that message almost as an afterthought otherwise people would just ignore a more direct approach.

Monbiot does have a point - we shouldn't be tiptoeing around the issue. That we have to probably says more about us than it does about Attenborough.

Similar thing with Prince Charles today saying he's stop campaigning on environmental and social justice issues when/if he becomes King. I'd say that's when we actually need his influence.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This seems incredibly harsh from Monbiot on 10:27 - Nov 8 with 783 viewsSteve_M

It is, as ever with Monbiot, that he has a bit of a point but can't quite make the whole piece coherent.

To my mind there was a marked emphasis in both Planet Earth 2 and Blue Planet 2 on the fragility of nature and man's impact on the environment. It was broadly confined to the last episode though rather than being consistently shown throughout (which is pretty much what you said).

It's also telling that the campaign against single use plastic (perhaps not the greatest environmental issue on the planet but one where individuals can make direct changes) received a major boost from Blue Planet 2 last year (it also owes a lot to Sky as well).

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This seems incredibly harsh from Monbiot on 10:45 - Nov 8 with 752 viewsDarth_Koont

This seems incredibly harsh from Monbiot on 10:10 - Nov 8 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah, I saw that yesterday - very brave taking a pop at a national treasure. Attenborough's approach has been somewhat proven by the plastic example. He said at the time he had to present that message almost as an afterthought otherwise people would just ignore a more direct approach.

Monbiot does have a point - we shouldn't be tiptoeing around the issue. That we have to probably says more about us than it does about Attenborough.

Similar thing with Prince Charles today saying he's stop campaigning on environmental and social justice issues when/if he becomes King. I'd say that's when we actually need his influence.

Good post.

Particularly the bit that tiptoeing around the issue "probably says more about us than it does about Attenborough."

Getting people to act and do something about single-use plastic is relatively easy as we don't care about single-use plastic. But that's the tip of the melting iceberg ... not sure Attenborough can directly come out and say we need to change the way we live: living more simply, closer to our workplace, not flying away on weekend trips, buying far less of the stuff we don't need, moving away from a society that only seems to work on a principle of growth and making the underlying principle sustainability etc.

That's a whole new level of change and far too threatening for the vast majority of people. So I think they're both right and maybe Attenborough's approach is a slow-drip into people's consciousness. But we also need a more direct approach too.

None of which means it's not each of us who has the ultimate responsibility as consumers and voters. FWIW I think my daughters' generation (born after 2000) seem to have internalised a lot of this already but maybe it's too little too late.

Pronouns: He/Him

This seems incredibly harsh from Monbiot on 10:50 - Nov 8 with 720 viewsNo9

This is a bit od a damned if you do, damned if you don't, for both parties?
Monbiot's point is genuine e.g why is the British taxpayer paying for fracking when we all know that this could do considerable damage to the air we breath.

The oceans problems have been know for years and have to an extent seen many changes via IMO in realtionship to what was put into the oceans by marine craft although for years many maritime nations including the UK & USA were against the changes.

Thre is no doubt failures to deal with the problme DA has highlighted are here as well as overseas = we used to ship all out waste to China now where does it go since they stopped taking it?
This seems incredibly harsh from Monbiot on 10:52 - Nov 8 with 723 viewsJ2BLUE

Misplaced outrage in the Guardian opinion pages? Surely not?

Attenborough made a point of highlighting the environment in Blue Planet II and Frozen Planet. If he wants to make a series which leaves that side of it out then that is up to him. He's done plenty of good for the environment.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

This seems incredibly harsh from Monbiot on 11:00 - Nov 8 with 703 viewsNo9

This seems incredibly harsh from Monbiot on 10:27 - Nov 8 by Steve_M

It is, as ever with Monbiot, that he has a bit of a point but can't quite make the whole piece coherent.

To my mind there was a marked emphasis in both Planet Earth 2 and Blue Planet 2 on the fragility of nature and man's impact on the environment. It was broadly confined to the last episode though rather than being consistently shown throughout (which is pretty much what you said).

It's also telling that the campaign against single use plastic (perhaps not the greatest environmental issue on the planet but one where individuals can make direct changes) received a major boost from Blue Planet 2 last year (it also owes a lot to Sky as well).

Yet the UK is about the only country in Europe / Scandinavia that still dumps thousands of tonnes of raw sewage into the sea daily.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024