Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sensible advice needed re tomorrow 13:17 - Nov 9 with 1835 viewsGeefunk

Im taking my 6 year old to his first away game tomorrow, he is too young, specially for an away game but I need to go and its the only way its going to happen.

Im very conscious people will be standing and he isnt going to see anything - fine i get it and not a lot i can do.

Potentially have some options - swap seats with some "lads" down the front who may be willing to help ? Move to an area with less fans around (sounds like its going to be packed though), he can stand on his seat

Anything other tricks / advice for little kids at away games ?

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:20 - Nov 9 with 1455 viewsReuser_is_God

I'd go for standing on his seat.

From what I remember Reading is fairly steep so he will probably see over the person in front.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:21 - Nov 9 with 1443 viewsJ2BLUE

Ignore me. It's an away game
[Post edited 9 Nov 2018 13:23]

Poll: Will you renew your ST/attend regularly during season 18/19?

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:22 - Nov 9 with 1432 viewsHerbivore

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:21 - Nov 9 by J2BLUE

PR will indeed be very empty tomorrow.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:22 - Nov 9 with 1428 viewsReuser_is_God

Eh?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:23 - Nov 9 with 1412 viewsJ2BLUE

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:22 - Nov 9 by Herbivore

PR will indeed be very empty tomorrow.

So I was right

Poll: Will you renew your ST/attend regularly during season 18/19?

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:27 - Nov 9 with 1390 viewsHerbivore

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:23 - Nov 9 by J2BLUE

So I was right

You were, although not especially helpful if he actually wants to see the game.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:27 - Nov 9 with 1391 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:20 - Nov 9 by Reuser_is_God

I'd go for standing on his seat.

From what I remember Reading is fairly steep so he will probably see over the person in front.

Maybe get there a bit early in case it is sit anywhere and then you can get near the front. Unlikely tomorrow though so perhaps if you get there early and can see that there is going to be an issue with those in front of you prior to kick-off then maybe you'll have time to ask the stewards if they can help you find more appropriate seats...

I hope he enjoys it! My first away game was also Reading but at Elm Park... 4-0 to Town I seem to remember.
Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:30 - Nov 9 with 1370 viewsFrimleyBlue

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:27 - Nov 9 by Herbivore

You were, although not especially helpful if he actually wants to see the game.

Would be great to see someone sat at PR though waiting for players to walk out......

Poll: Do you think the squad itself is good enough to stay up
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:32 - Nov 9 with 1365 viewsclive_baker

I don't have kids (one on the way) but I would say take some form of entertainment with him incase he can't see / gets bored. But that's the worst case scenario.

Just before kick off have a look around, back corners might be quieter. Otherwise back row standing on seat would work, or as you say, front row. It'll be busy but not full, so you should be able to find somewhere not rammed in the back corners I would say.

You'll be fine I'm sure.

Poll: Should Britain leave the Eurovision?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:34 - Nov 9 with 1359 viewsclive_baker

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:30 - Nov 9 by FrimleyBlue

Would be great to see someone sat at PR though waiting for players to walk out......

You've just stolen fergalsharkey's next post there

Poll: Should Britain leave the Eurovision?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:38 - Nov 9 with 1342 viewsfactual_blue

We do, we do.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Today's result - Should we
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:46 - Nov 9 with 1305 viewsLeBlue

I'm taking my 11 and 9 year old daughters. We've been to Reading before and it's always been fine - people will stand and sit at various points but the girls have always managed to see, either over or around people. Stewards always seem pretty decent too and so I'm sure will assist by moving you if there's a problem,

Hope he enjoys the experience.

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:48 - Nov 9 with 1300 viewslinhdi

Away end will be full and likely standing. If you speak to a steward they will find you somewhere where you can sit, likely right next to the away fans. Reading are good about this.
Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:52 - Nov 9 with 1279 viewsGeefunk

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:48 - Nov 9 by linhdi

Away end will be full and likely standing. If you speak to a steward they will find you somewhere where you can sit, likely right next to the away fans. Reading are good about this.

cheers
Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:56 - Nov 9 with 1255 viewsfactual_blue

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:27 - Nov 9 by King_ding_a_lin_g

Maybe get there a bit early in case it is sit anywhere and then you can get near the front. Unlikely tomorrow though so perhaps if you get there early and can see that there is going to be an issue with those in front of you prior to kick-off then maybe you'll have time to ask the stewards if they can help you find more appropriate seats...

I hope he enjoys it! My first away game was also Reading but at Elm Park... 4-0 to Town I seem to remember.

And of course don't forget your pie for the minute's silence.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Today's result - Should we
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:58 - Nov 9 with 1239 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:52 - Nov 9 by Geefunk

cheers

Yep. And don't worry about 6 being too young. It's not if they're happy with being in a crowd; I think I took my lad when he was 5/6 to away games (where he had to stand on his seat all match) and he loved them.

Poll: What player was the poorer of these two

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 14:27 - Nov 9 with 1185 viewspmh

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 13:56 - Nov 9 by factual_blue

And of course don't forget your pie for the minute's silence.

Yes makes sure you get him a pie or something to take to his seat. Might be good to time it so he eats during the minutes silence.

Regarding seating, he should be fine standing on the seats you have been allocated just alert those around you before kick off.

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 14:39 - Nov 9 with 1148 viewsSitfcB

‘Lads’ tend to stand at the back at Reading.

The front few rows are usually empty even with a big away following. Explain to steward upon entering the stand and they’ll put you down the front.

Follow the Town, up or down... #COYB
Poll: Why do people believe whats on football rumours and rubbish twitter accounts?
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 14:54 - Nov 9 with 1131 viewsSWGF

I've got two tickets in Row A. I don't mind swapping if you get there and don't fancy your seats. Send me a DM tomorrow, if you want.

Circa 20yrs of reasoned, thoughtful football analysis and, in the end, "Tom Origami" will be my TWTD epitaph
Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 15:05 - Nov 9 with 1094 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

If you go to the stewards at the front, im sure they will be able to sit you somewhere where you can sit.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 15:07 - Nov 9 with 1089 viewsChocorange

Been taking my lad and daughter since they were 5 and 6, they love it, especially if they are in amongst and can join in with the singing, they love to hear new songs, and there frustration is they cant go in the SBRL and sing there at home games too!

As for seeing , even when everyone is standing theres usually gaps between people to look through, ( fans dont tend to be shoulder to shoulder) , ur son can stabd in front of you or to one side easily enough, or else they stand on their seats.

There are usually a few kids around the stand, my 2 have made some good friends on away days, that they look forward to seeing , more than the football thats been served up for the last few seasons.

Am sure he will enjoy it and want to go again ! Maybe see u there!
Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 15:09 - Nov 9 with 1078 viewssuffolkpoker

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 14:54 - Nov 9 by SWGF

I've got two tickets in Row A. I don't mind swapping if you get there and don't fancy your seats. Send me a DM tomorrow, if you want.

Like a true gent.

51%
Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 15:11 - Nov 9 with 1075 viewsMaySixth

My lad was 6 when I took him to his first away game which was also Reading.

He stood on his seat and loved it.

Poll: Will Emyr Huws ever play for Ipswich Town again?

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 16:09 - Nov 9 with 1020 viewsSitfcB

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 14:54 - Nov 9 by SWGF

You know it’s AA at the front yeah?

Follow the Town, up or down... #COYB
Poll: Why do people believe whats on football rumours and rubbish twitter accounts?
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Sensible advice needed re tomorrow on 16:11 - Nov 9 with 1016 viewsNBVJohn

My lad was initially a bit intimidated by what is often a more intense atmosphere. He was hesitant at first but got into it as the game went on.

We had a chat on the journey down and I explained to him that it would be a bit different - on the journey back we talked about the differences he had found. He said it 'was swearier!'

I did a bit of a reccy before hand and found some child friendly stuff like playgrounds near the ground so we could get down there early and get used to being around the other fans etc. [it was Fulham] I found that worked for me. I have rarely found much to worry about in this respect - especially when you have kids with you. The problem is that the Madjewski is on a soulless business park, so there's not much to do in this respect.

The problem is that he loved it and I subsequently had a battle on my hands to not go to every away game.

Let him stand on his seat etc. and encourage joining in with the whole 'away' experience - more singing, generally noisier. He'll love it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2019