Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sheffield Derby ...how come 20:57 - Nov 9 with 2732 viewsbackwaywhen

It is allowed on a Friday night ...drinking all day if you wish , with little chance of total segregation once outside the ground , and we have our Derby on a bl##dy Sunday at midday ....bonkers.
Sheffield Derby ...how come on 21:01 - Nov 9 with 2709 viewsWD19

Doubt it in any way increases the likelihood of fighting in Sheffield on a Friday night.
Sheffield Derby ...how come on 21:19 - Nov 9 with 2674 viewsstantheman

There is not a whole lot of agro between them. Worked in Sheffield for 13 years with the company about half blunts and half owls. Rubbed along OK, even with a Town fan in their midst.
Sheffield Derby ...how come on 21:34 - Nov 9 with 2620 viewsWarhurst

You would think with the very small amount of arrests the east anglian derby gets (0 this year I believe) it could at least be moved to a 3pm kickoff.
Sheffield Derby ...how come on 21:36 - Nov 9 with 2615 viewsgernon

Loads of 'reasons' mainly police down here getting used to easy overtime and the clubs cravenly giving in
Sheffield Derby ...how come on 22:39 - Nov 9 with 2505 viewsCurrie10

Sheffield Derby ...how come on 21:19 - Nov 9 by stantheman

There is not a whole lot of agro between them. Worked in Sheffield for 13 years with the company about half blunts and half owls. Rubbed along OK, even with a Town fan in their midst.

Not sure I agree with this will have kicked off tonight
Sheffield Derby ...how come on 23:41 - Nov 9 with 2428 viewsnorth_stand77

Sheffield Derby ...how come on 21:36 - Nov 9 by gernon

Loads of 'reasons' mainly police down here getting used to easy overtime and the clubs cravenly giving in

Not true.
Most Police Officers will be working their usual shift so won't be paid any extra. Some will also have had annual leave and rest days cancelled. Most prefer not to have to work it
Sheffield Derby ...how come on 04:05 - Nov 10 with 2342 viewsRoyKeanesDog

The short answer is because is it very easy, lazy, and practical for Suffolk and Norfolk police to indefinitely make our games an early kick off on a Sunday.

A longer answer consists of the fact that South Yorkshire police are better equipped to handle a Sheffield derby- also the fact that they are in the same city, as opposed to 40 miles away, means that it isn't just a case of marching 2,000 fans to and from the station.

Having lived in Sheffield for 7 years of my life, I have seen Sheffield during derby day and it is nothing short of fantastic. It could be played at 3am on a Tuesday and the city would still be electric. Fantastic people, and two proper football clubs.

Poll: Best Football Song

Sheffield Derby ...how come on 04:44 - Nov 10 with 2319 viewsBenters2

Sheffield Derby ...how come on 04:05 - Nov 10 by RoyKeanesDog

The short answer is because is it very easy, lazy, and practical for Suffolk and Norfolk police to indefinitely make our games an early kick off on a Sunday.

A longer answer consists of the fact that South Yorkshire police are better equipped to handle a Sheffield derby- also the fact that they are in the same city, as opposed to 40 miles away, means that it isn't just a case of marching 2,000 fans to and from the station.

Having lived in Sheffield for 7 years of my life, I have seen Sheffield during derby day and it is nothing short of fantastic. It could be played at 3am on a Tuesday and the city would still be electric. Fantastic people, and two proper football clubs.

As it should be.
Login to get fewer ads

Sheffield Derby ...how come on 08:12 - Nov 10 with 2209 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Exactly. Regardless of whether it’s 19:45, 15:00 or midday, there will still be both sides drinking in Sheffield before and after.

It makes sense for the police for ours to be Sunday midday - Norwich suppprters don’t venture beyond the Station and Ipswich either go to the same (only) pub that opens for them or straight to the ground. Both leave straight after the game. If ours was 1945 on a Friday there would inevitably be more issues as supporters would be a bit more adventurous.
Sheffield Derby ...how come on 08:16 - Nov 10 with 2195 viewsBenters2

Sheffield Derby ...how come on 08:12 - Nov 10 by PrideOfTheEast

Exactly. Regardless of whether it’s 19:45, 15:00 or midday, there will still be both sides drinking in Sheffield before and after.

It makes sense for the police for ours to be Sunday midday - Norwich suppprters don’t venture beyond the Station and Ipswich either go to the same (only) pub that opens for them or straight to the ground. Both leave straight after the game. If ours was 1945 on a Friday there would inevitably be more issues as supporters would be a bit more adventurous.

Like on the Thursday before Good Friday.
Sheffield Derby ...how come on 09:33 - Nov 10 with 2085 viewsnorth_stand77

Don't you think that the main reason it's done is for general public safety?

The fact that there have been so few arrests with this kick off time is in contrast to the many, many arrests in years gone by when kick off was 3pm. There were fights everywhere.
Who would be blamed if this was allowed to happen again? The Police, of course.
Sheffield Derby ...how come on 09:37 - Nov 10 with 2070 viewsBenters2

Sheffield Derby ...how come on 09:33 - Nov 10 by north_stand77

Don't you think that the main reason it's done is for general public safety?

The fact that there have been so few arrests with this kick off time is in contrast to the many, many arrests in years gone by when kick off was 3pm. There were fights everywhere.
Who would be blamed if this was allowed to happen again? The Police, of course.

Like i said earlier that Thursday was it 5pm ko? Got a bit messy didnt it and we got stuffed.
Sheffield Derby ...how come on 09:40 - Nov 10 with 2065 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sheffield Derby ...how come on 21:34 - Nov 9 by Warhurst

You would think with the very small amount of arrests the east anglian derby gets (0 this year I believe) it could at least be moved to a 3pm kickoff.

It is never going to change.

0 arrests shows the policy works. More shows the need for it to be done.

The only way it changes is for Sky to dictate it (like when there is a play-off semi-final).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Sheffield Derby ...how come on 09:55 - Nov 10 with 2039 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Sheffield Derby ...how come on 21:34 - Nov 9 by Warhurst

Unfortunately - the fact there were no arrests will be seen as justifying the kick off time

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Sheffield Derby ...how come on 10:02 - Nov 10 with 2032 viewsgainsboroughblue

Sheffield Derby ...how come on 09:40 - Nov 10 by Nthsuffolkblue

The only way it changes is for Sky to dictate it (like when there is a play-off semi-final).

Exactly. When they tried the evening Thursday kick off a few years ago, there was trouble. The last non-midday kick off before that (1998?), Norwich fans and police were being pelted with all sorts at the station.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Sheffield Derby ...how come on 10:39 - Nov 10 with 1977 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Sheffield Derby ...how come on 09:40 - Nov 10 by Nthsuffolkblue

Yet even then plod overruled sky and made both legs lunchtime kick off

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024