Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barney Ronay on sport and remembrance is worth a few minutes today 09:56 - Nov 10 with 650 viewsSteve_M

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/nov/10/we-will-remember-sport-sacrif

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Barney Ronay on sport and remembrance is worth a few minutes today on 10:01 - Nov 10 with 637 viewsfactual_blue

However, as the People's Procession is going on, Liverpool will respectfully be playing Fulham to further enrich murdoch.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Barney Ronay on sport and remembrance is worth a few minutes today on 10:17 - Nov 10 with 621 viewsSwansea_Blue

A very good piece and helps me put my feelings about it in context. He’s spot on when he talks about the message of regret being lost and replaced by service and heroism, “and about celebration, remembrance transformed into a shared public display“.

For this reason I’ve been one of those who’ve complained “about the militarising of sport”.

But then I never knew this following quirky fact and, together with a reminder of what sport lost, I think I’ve shifted my position a bit: “Pointlessly so as organised sport has been this way right back to the first Olympic events, including the hoplitodromos, an 800 metres race in full military armour”.

So yes, maybe remembrance does have more of a place in sport than I’ve previously accepted. But let’s keep it real and true to the original meaning (which includes respecting the rights of those who chose not to take part to do so - Vidic, Mclean).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Barney Ronay on sport and remembrance is worth a few minutes today on 11:34 - Nov 10 with 581 viewsfactual_blue

Barney Ronay on sport and remembrance is worth a few minutes today on 10:17 - Nov 10 by Swansea_Blue

A very good piece and helps me put my feelings about it in context. He’s spot on when he talks about the message of regret being lost and replaced by service and heroism, “and about celebration, remembrance transformed into a shared public display“.

For this reason I’ve been one of those who’ve complained “about the militarising of sport”.

But then I never knew this following quirky fact and, together with a reminder of what sport lost, I think I’ve shifted my position a bit: “Pointlessly so as organised sport has been this way right back to the first Olympic events, including the hoplitodromos, an 800 metres race in full military armour”.

So yes, maybe remembrance does have more of a place in sport than I’ve previously accepted. But let’s keep it real and true to the original meaning (which includes respecting the rights of those who chose not to take part to do so - Vidic, Mclean).

DId you know that the nazis stole the Olympic Salute?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024