Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A few match thoughts 23:36 - Nov 10 with 1895 viewsMach_foreignBlue

I had said to the people at half-time that my long trek was worth every penny. Did I feel like that after the final whistle? Despite the result I'd day yes because I haven't seen anything like that from Town team for a few seasons. The way in which we dictated the game in the 1st half, players' commitment and effort. Yes we played poor opposition today and our next away opponents in Nottingham and Stoke won't allow us similar kind of performance but you can play what is in front of you. Whether we played top or bottom opposition in the last few seasons the pattern was mostly the same, sit back, let an opposition have a go at us and hoof it. Apart from moments of brilliances from Ryan Fraser or Tom Lawrence we had rarely seen something like what we have today. Massive bit of a fresh air. 
Remember Reading away on Friday night two seasons ago for example? I don't mean 5-1 game. I mean the 2-1 defeat with three penalties which was a torture to watch.

Town came out with the intention TO WIN the match which is a nice change. Sears and Roberts. Both of them wouldn't probably be starters if all players were fit. But if they continue playing like that they are going to give Lambert a selection headache. Sears in particular seems like a player completely reinvigorated by Lambert, I dare to day it is already his best spell since the end of the play-off season. The shackles are gone and he is benefiting from the Lambert's tactical approach. He never gave Reading defence a moment of breath until he got jaded in the 2nd half.
Roberts....it's clear to see that he lacks a bit of quality to perform at this level but he never stops trying. Plays as good as he can and that will do for me. He kept absorbing their defence throughout and really deserved big ovations when he was getting subbed. His alternate Jackson who also came from League Two is a different story. I don't understand why some idiots keep slating him. Not being good enough at this level ain't a sin. He was offered a contract by Ipswich so why blaming him? However he is badly struggling and the pace is his solitary attribute. Nothing besides. Things might have been smoother for him if he had Championship quality alongside him to learn from (Waghorn, McGoldrick).
Edwards constantly threatening them too. The Town front three were the best players on the pitch in the first half that was a pure pleasure to watch. We dominated the game, pressed them and created chances. Apart from their equaliser which was partly Bialkowski's fault they hardly threatened. It was all Ipswich and we looked like a top 6 opposition in compare to Reading. The hosts had to make changes at half time and it paid off for them as they stepped up and became more dangerous.

Town though not as good as they were before the interval tried to hit them on the break. Unfortunately the tiredness seemed to have crept in. Reading's tactical change was a significant factor too. Of course we can't be critical of them. The lack of quality striker(s) and lack of strength in depth turned out to be a problem. Jackson far from good, Ward who has been letting us down not even on the bench again. People might say that Dozzell should have come on but we have to trust Lambert. If he thinks that Dozzell isn't good enough to help the team then so be it. 

12 minutes from time Reading made another substitution that heralded a danger. The veteran O'Shea replaced by attacking midfielder Swift so that meant a kitchen sink to be thrown at us. 
An equaliser was somewhat a defensive mistake as Pennington had to deal with their two forwards in the air. Where were others? Why was the cross allowed by Knudsen? 

We still could have lost which would have been a travesty as Reading players hit the ball over the bar from the close range twice towards the end of the game. 

Yes, disappointed with having failed to win but buoyed with what Lambert has done so far during such short time. He would dance on the touchline for the whole game and encourage players. What a contrast to Hurst who would have stood with the folded arms like a bollard. 

In my opinion the prime target has been done today as we are still 5 points from safety. I don't think we'll get out of the bottom three before the end of 2018 given our tough schedule so it's imperative we are still 5 points behind at worst following the Millwall game on New Years Day. Evans whose disastrous ownership got us into this mess will have to spend a lot to give Lambert a chance otherwise the latter might walk out like he did at Blackburn a few seasons ago. He was promised funds by Venkys as he himself wasn't interested in mediocrity. The funds never came so he walked out. And now even Venkys realised that they have to spend if they want Blackburn to be competitive. They are going to conclude a deal which will cost them 7m as this is the price for Ben Brereton to become their permanent players. So Evans not only has to spend large sum of money but we somehow have to entice a good goalscorer(s) to join us otherwise we are relegated. Simple as that. The lack of Championship quality strikers and failure to replace Waghorn, McGoldrick and Garner with an adequate quality hits us very hard. 

Given what Lambert has done so far we have to be pleased. Compare his first two games to the Hurst last two (Queens Park, Leeds) and there is a hell of difference in terms of players' confidence and commitment. 
A few match thoughts on 23:54 - Nov 10 with 1790 viewssyntaxerror

Dziekuje Mach
A few match thoughts on 23:57 - Nov 10 with 1782 viewsMach_foreignBlue

A few match thoughts on 23:54 - Nov 10 by syntaxerror

Dziekuje Mach

No problems. Cała przyjemność po mojej stronie :)
A few match thoughts on 00:47 - Nov 11 with 1712 viewsGuthrum

Good to see you today.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

A few match thoughts on 05:35 - Nov 11 with 1621 viewspowinswitch

Few match thoughts. I’d hate to see w considered reflection then. Lol. Good stuff though Mach.

I thought the first half performance was excellent, and as you say we hadn’t seen anything like that for many a long day. I thought the whole team were superb, and the midfield played as good a part in that as the forward three. I’ve been no fan of Skuse, but I thought he was so much better with the ball today, definitely in the first half. I tip my hat to him, and to Lambert.

Second half I thought we allowed too much of a gap to open between the front two, and the rest who got deeper and deeper, particularly the midfield. Roberts did a great job again, but understandably tired and Jackson cannot make it stick like Roberts did. We no longer had an outlet, and Reading just kept com8ng. But a great improvement in two weeks. Hat off to PL and everybody who has bought in to his vision so far
A few match thoughts on 07:51 - Nov 11 with 1459 viewsBenters2

Good report Mach,im pleased you had a good day.
A few match thoughts on 11:37 - Nov 11 with 1237 viewsMach_foreignBlue

A few match thoughts on 00:47 - Nov 11 by Guthrum

Good to see you today.

And you mate.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024