Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert 11:32 - Nov 11 with 6000 viewsSomethingBlue

Last week I bumped into someone who, shall we say, has exceptionally good insight into how PL works. "He'll keep them up by at least 10 points," he said. "Have you *seen* that team though?" I replied. "Yeah, no problem, 10 points — he'll get into the guys that need getting into and have them feeling 10 feet tall."

Now I think that margin is a stretch but I take the opinion very seriously. If you remember, Grant Holt and Russell Martin (he signed the latter on loan soon after joining but the point remains) were players Lambert got stuck right into at Norwich and although I don't see us having quite the same meteoric rise I think we can already see signs. That's why it's so important people stick with it — yesterday was disappointing but I don't like seeing posts from, in some cases, sensible posters pretty much throwing in the towel. The gap is five points, not 15. There are 29 games left. We have potentially the best manager on our hands since Burley and we'd be doing him a massive disservice by not going all in on positivity and optimism over the next few months. It's not going to be at all easy but I think we're going to do it. See you all at West Brom — Friday night, tenner a ticket, no excuse for it not to be 20,000+.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:36 - Nov 11 with 4005 viewsJ2BLUE

You've been hobnobbing with Grant Holt?!?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:36 - Nov 11 with 4005 viewsSomethingBlue

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:36 - Nov 11 by J2BLUE

I can confirm I have not!

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:37 - Nov 11 with 4003 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Im there!!
We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:38 - Nov 11 with 4000 viewsFixed_It

I believe we'll do it. The signs are promising, the gap isn't too big and we have time to get the points we need. We are now a team on the up - in stark contrast to the team Hurst left...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:39 - Nov 11 with 3988 viewsTractorWood

It's not Lambert that worries me, it's the squad. Years of underinvestment and some Hurst punts has left it fragmented and lacking quality. There's been an improvement under Lambert but that's not translated into results in vital games.

The next few fixtures are tough. I don't see us getting more than a couple of points before Wigan. I know there are lots of games left but with every disappointing result, we make the job mathematically harder post January. Needless to say, we absolutely must invest in quality in January. If we don't, to me, we are irrefutably down.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:39 - Nov 11 with 3978 viewsWD19

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:36 - Nov 11 by J2BLUE

Does anyone 'hobnob' with Grant Holt?

Surely even his best friends are just in his presence whilst he takes care of the hobnobs!?
We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:40 - Nov 11 with 3975 viewsSomethingBlue

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:39 - Nov 11 by TractorWood

It's not Lambert that worries me, it's the squad. Years of underinvestment and some Hurst punts has left it fragmented and lacking quality. There's been an improvement under Lambert but that's not translated into results in vital games.

The next few fixtures are tough. I don't see us getting more than a couple of points before Wigan. I know there are lots of games left but with every disappointing result, we make the job mathematically harder post January. Needless to say, we absolutely must invest in quality in January. If we don't, to me, we are irrefutably down.

It's only been two games. It will get better still. The next two home games are certainly big ones and if we can win one of them then I'd definitely sense we are on the way back.

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:42 - Nov 11 with 3964 viewsFixed_It

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:39 - Nov 11 by TractorWood

If we play like we have in the last two games I think we'll get enough wins to survive. To say we'll definitely go down in November is just ridiculous. PMA my friend. PMA.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:44 - Nov 11 with 3954 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

I agree. There are 6 or 7 poor teams in this division. Stay in touch for now, recruit wisely in Jan and outperform 3 of them in the 2nd half of the season. It’s not mission impossible.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:45 - Nov 11 with 3929 viewsNo9

Good points
We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:45 - Nov 11 with 3926 viewslowhouseblue

i feel very positive about lambert. he seems a class above anyone we've had for a long time. if he keeps us up it will be one hell of an achievement.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:48 - Nov 11 with 3894 viewsbrogansnose

It is too early to accept the worst and we've by no means run out of time but clearly PL has got his work cut out and ultimately I feel that it will go to the wire. I also feel that there is an element of mentally adjusting to things now in case if things go wrong. Let's face it, none of us want to get caught on TV crying wearing blue and white curly wigs.

It really is now a case of all hands on deck and total support.
We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:55 - Nov 11 with 3862 viewsitfcjoe

He seems to exude complete confidence, even though it is most likely an act I can see why the players get behind him and his team.

I'm amazed at what he has achieved on the pitch in 2 shortened weeks in the midst of a busy schedule, and looking forward to what he has cooked up for WBA. I worry that we have left it too late though, we need to pick up a few wins by January - no other team in the league has won less than 4 games, we've won 1.

I'm not too worried about the upcoming run of fixtures - none of WBA, Stoke, Bristol City or Wigan are in decent form.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:57 - Nov 11 with 3844 viewsTractorWood

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:42 - Nov 11 by Fixed_It

If we play like we have in the last two games I think we'll get enough wins to survive. To say we'll definitely go down in November is just ridiculous. PMA my friend. PMA.

I'm not saying we are definitely down in November. I'm saying if we continue on with similar form until January and we don't invest big in the window, then we are definitely down. Preston's away form was dreadful and we didn't ask enough questions of them. Yesterday sounded excellent first half but we just didn't get the job done, so green shoots maybe? PMA.

Being a mathematical cynic, there is so much football to play but if we don't sort it out in next dozen games, the following dozen plus become even tougher just as a numbers game.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2018 11:59]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:58 - Nov 11 with 3840 viewsSomethingBlue

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:55 - Nov 11 by itfcjoe

He seems to exude complete confidence, even though it is most likely an act I can see why the players get behind him and his team.

I'm amazed at what he has achieved on the pitch in 2 shortened weeks in the midst of a busy schedule, and looking forward to what he has cooked up for WBA. I worry that we have left it too late though, we need to pick up a few wins by January - no other team in the league has won less than 4 games, we've won 1.

I'm not too worried about the upcoming run of fixtures - none of WBA, Stoke, Bristol City or Wigan are in decent form.

We do need to win games quickly but I think he's right that the performances will yield something soon. I'd take a point from West Brom right now but Bristol City looks like the kind of game that could set us off. We'll still be adrift come January but I have a strong feeling we'll be ok.

That said, it's a funny situation to be in where one has 100% faith in the manager and considerably less in the squad!

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:59 - Nov 11 with 3821 viewscobbler

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 11:55 - Nov 11 by itfcjoe

West Brom 4 Leeds Utd 1 that’s good form as they say your only as good as your last game.
We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 12:20 - Nov 11 with 3746 viewsLord_Lucan

I was in a taxi yesterday and the driver knew PL well and regularly drove him from Stanstead to Norwich. He was in no doubt he would keep us up - nor am I for that matter.

Apparently PL and McNally despised each other and had a full blown scrap in the players tunnel after a game once.

If we do go down it will be because of Hursts baffling stay of execution after Swansea.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 12:27 - Nov 11 with 3694 viewsBrixtonBlue

You bumped into J2?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 12:30 - Nov 11 with 3676 viewsDarth_Koont

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 12:20 - Nov 11 by Lord_Lucan

I was in a taxi yesterday and the driver knew PL well and regularly drove him from Stanstead to Norwich. He was in no doubt he would keep us up - nor am I for that matter.

Apparently PL and McNally despised each other and had a full blown scrap in the players tunnel after a game once.

If we do go down it will be because of Hursts baffling stay of execution after Swansea.

Yes, in retrospect that Swansea result shouldn't have made a difference and we then lost the international break when PL could have already been working with the squad. Not to mention the three dismal losses after that.

In any case, anyone who watched the Swansea game would have seen that we completely rode our luck, but kept going and took our chances very well courtesy of the most open Championship defence I've seen in years. That win could just as easily have been a 4-0 loss on the balance of play and but for Potter's incredibly gung ho and naive tactics.

The last two games are the only games we deserved to win this season.

Pronouns: He/Him

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 12:41 - Nov 11 with 3615 viewsfactual_blue

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 12:20 - Nov 11 by Lord_Lucan

I believe there was a 'probationary period' for Hurst, and the Swansea win meant he could meet the points target set for that probationary period. ME didn't want to pay him significant compensation...and didn't. I suspect the players helped in the next couple of games to ensure the owner didn't have to.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

YAY! on 12:45 - Nov 11 with 3587 viewsDyland

I'm so suggestible it's untrue, but I'm glad I read this post before cracking on with the lunch :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 12:49 - Nov 11 with 3567 viewsBrixtonBlue

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 12:30 - Nov 11 by Darth_Koont

Yes, in retrospect that Swansea result shouldn't have made a difference and we then lost the international break when PL could have already been working with the squad. Not to mention the three dismal losses after that.

In any case, anyone who watched the Swansea game would have seen that we completely rode our luck, but kept going and took our chances very well courtesy of the most open Championship defence I've seen in years. That win could just as easily have been a 4-0 loss on the balance of play and but for Potter's incredibly gung ho and naive tactics.

The last two games are the only games we deserved to win this season.

I'm not sure it's certain that ME was giving PH more time because of Swansea. It may well be that ME was giving ME more time... to make the right decision.

He's had a few howlers, it would be understandable.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 12:50 - Nov 11 with 3561 viewsBluebell

I definitely believe we will stay up under Lambert.

Having been at PL's two games the difference between how we play under him and Hurst is amazing. The players are interacting with each other now and looking up each time they have the ball rather than kicking it like it is a piece of hot coal. Bart passing out to either Pennington and Chambers was great to see too and means we can keep possession of the ball.

I also love the way PL comes over to the fans after the games too rather than slink off like PH did towards the end.

Onwards and upwards !
We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 13:00 - Nov 11 with 3514 viewsLord_Lucan

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 12:41 - Nov 11 by factual_blue

I believe there was a 'probationary period' for Hurst, and the Swansea win meant he could meet the points target set for that probationary period. ME didn't want to pay him significant compensation...and didn't. I suspect the players helped in the next couple of games to ensure the owner didn't have to.

It’s a possibility but I don’t personally go with that.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

We have to believe we will stay up under Lambert on 13:21 - Nov 11 with 3452 viewsSuperfrans

I got a bit of grief on Twitter yesterday for saying I felt certain we’ll go down now. I didn’t say we’re down, just that I now feel resigned to our fate.

Obviously there are still lots of games left to go. But I just feel we’ve given ourselves too much to do.

We’re doing what relegated teams do - we’re playing well, doing enough to win, but not winning. That was consistent theme in the first 4/5 games under Hurst and is also consistent with the first 2 games under Lambert.

Before the last five games, I thought we needed 8/10 points, given who we were playing. We ended up with 2. And against two pretty poor teams.

Of course, the hope is that better teams will underestimate us and that we can sneak a few surprise wins. But they need to start coming soon.

I can see us win another 1, maybe 2 before the New Year. But, after Millwall at home on New Year’s Day we will have 20 games left. If we’ve won a couple by then, we’ll need about 10 wins in 20 games. That will just be too tall an order, imho.

I would love to be more upbeat. Lambert is doing a fantastic job, maybe things will turn around more quickly. But I’m preparing myself for the worst.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024