Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? 09:27 - Nov 12 with 4301 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Given the situation we are in I'm sure none of us would look back on Hursts tenure in a positive light. Thinking back to when he was appointed though, would the fans that were calling for ME to take a chance on an upcoming manager have accepted the likes of Lambert? Equally would those that favoured Mick have been okay with him leaving to make room for a former budgie manager?

Could we see Hurst as a necessary mistake for the club to move forwards (mostly) as one?

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 09:39 - Nov 12 with 4269 viewsDarth_Koont

Depends if we stay up I suppose.

I agree on the whole that Lambert would have got a different reception if he'd come in over the Summer but you'd like to think that he'd have had a good effect by now so that wouldn't last. But let's not forget all this still means spending another season in the Championship as a best-case scenario. These seasons where we don't challenge have a cumulative effect on our fanbase and attendances.

Another big positive is that perhaps people won't be wailing about hungry lower-league players and managers any time soon. Not to say we won't go there again but it's clear that it depends on the player and the manager rather than these being qualities in themselves.

Pronouns: He/Him

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 10:22 - Nov 12 with 4207 viewsmonty_radio

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 09:39 - Nov 12 by Darth_Koont

I agree on the whole that Lambert would have got a different reception if he'd come in over the Summer but you'd like to think that he'd have had a good effect by now so that wouldn't last. But let's not forget all this still means spending another season in the Championship as a best-case scenario. These seasons where we don't challenge have a cumulative effect on our fanbase and attendances.

Another big positive is that perhaps people won't be wailing about hungry lower-league players and managers any time soon. Not to say we won't go there again but it's clear that it depends on the player and the manager rather than these being qualities in themselves.

"Wailing" is a bit strong. So many agreed that it was the way to go; its short time of failure is not enough to judge the whole concept, especially as the individuals concerned to lose faith in their own project so early. And though I like what Lambert seems to be doing, two draws is a bit soon to discern a wholesale trend.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 10:57 - Nov 12 with 4175 viewsDarth_Koont

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 10:22 - Nov 12 by monty_radio

"Wailing" is a bit strong. So many agreed that it was the way to go; its short time of failure is not enough to judge the whole concept, especially as the individuals concerned to lose faith in their own project so early. And though I like what Lambert seems to be doing, two draws is a bit soon to discern a wholesale trend.

No, I agree with you that the vast majority did think it was a good way to go in the end. Which is fair enough.

It wasn't clear but I was thinking more about the people over the years who have wailed about it — as if Burley and Holland were representative of what the lower leagues had to offer. Now we've seen the other side of the coin perhaps some won't be so dismissive of experience next time.

Pronouns: He/Him

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 11:43 - Nov 12 with 4134 viewsRegencyBlue

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 09:39 - Nov 12 by Darth_Koont

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with bringing in a lower league manager. On the face of it Hurst ticked all the right boxes but, unless he had a complete personality change once he got the job here, something went seriously wrong with the clubs due diligence checks on him!

As for players from the lower leagues, again nothing fundamentally wrong with that either, but they have to be the right ones and you dont decimate your existing squad and replace them with 8 or 9 of them at the same time!

Hurst has proven to be a mistake. Whether necessary or not is open to question but one thing is for certain, it could prove a very costly mistake if Lambert cannot get us out of this mess.

One further point and that is that whilst Hurst brought matters to a head our illustrious owners part in all of this should not be forgotten. Years of under-investment and 'drift' had brought the club virtually to its knees anyway. Hurst managed to accelerate the process.
Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 13:35 - Nov 12 with 4060 viewsjjblue84

Sacking him will have been a big mistake, if Lambert continues to fail to turn things around!
Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 13:39 - Nov 12 with 4053 viewsitfcjoe

We should have sacked him earlier - it became very obvious, very quickly he was out of his depth and not going to turn it round.

Also, if we go down, it is a very unnecessary mistake that it will take us years to bounce back from

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 14:07 - Nov 12 with 3992 viewsBiGDonnie

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 13:35 - Nov 12 by jjblue84

Sacking him will have been a big mistake, if Lambert continues to fail to turn things around!

Continues to fail?

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 14:15 - Nov 12 with 3967 viewsjjblue84

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 14:07 - Nov 12 by BiGDonnie

Continues to fail?

You think he’s succeeding?
Login to get fewer ads

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 15:15 - Nov 12 with 3913 viewsGuthrum

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 14:15 - Nov 12 by jjblue84

So far, yes. What was the result in Hurst's final two games? Lambert's done better than that.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 15:20 - Nov 12 with 3901 viewsBiGDonnie

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 14:15 - Nov 12 by jjblue84

It's been two games numbnuts!

COYBs

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 15:37 - Nov 12 with 3882 viewsjjblue84

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 15:20 - Nov 12 by BiGDonnie

It's been two games numbnuts!

So you don’t know then??
Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 15:40 - Nov 12 with 3879 viewsJ2BLUE

Clearly.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 15:43 - Nov 12 with 3871 viewsgiant_stow

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 15:40 - Nov 12 by J2BLUE

Clearly.

Agent Sloppy Seconds' performance has been pleasing so far - if he can manage to not win the next two or three, he will have accomplished stage 1 of his mission.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 15:46 - Nov 12 with 3862 viewsJ2BLUE

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 15:43 - Nov 12 by giant_stow

Agent Sloppy Seconds' performance has been pleasing so far - if he can manage to not win the next two or three, he will have accomplished stage 1 of his mission.

You mean we've pulled the stunner you still pine after and remain deeply in love with as if he was your own brother? Now you're acting like you're over him while you cry yourself to sleep at night hugging your pillow gently whispering "why Paul, why?"

Truly impaired.

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 16:07 - Nov 12 with 3835 viewsBiGDonnie

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 15:37 - Nov 12 by jjblue84

So you don’t know then??

So you don't know either?

COYBs

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 16:14 - Nov 12 with 3822 viewsPJH

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 13:35 - Nov 12 by jjblue84

I don't think that there are any possible scenario's whereby sacking Hurst will ever be seen as a little mistake let alone a big one.
Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 16:16 - Nov 12 with 3814 viewsCurrie10

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 15:37 - Nov 12 by jjblue84

So you don’t know then??

Pathetic WUM attempt. 1/100.
Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 16:58 - Nov 12 with 3769 viewsjjblue84

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 16:07 - Nov 12 by BiGDonnie

So you don't know either?

I already said, but some people just like name calling for no reason!!
Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 17:08 - Nov 12 with 3740 viewsjjblue84

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 16:14 - Nov 12 by PJH

I don't think that there are any possible scenario's whereby sacking Hurst will ever be seen as a little mistake let alone a big one.

Unless he has big success at another championship club...
Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 17:14 - Nov 12 with 3722 viewsHarryWright

He's neither succeeding nor failing yet.
Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 17:16 - Nov 12 with 3717 viewsjjblue84

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 17:14 - Nov 12 by HarryWright

He's neither succeeding nor failing yet.

Ah, the magic third way that settles all arguments!!
Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 17:31 - Nov 12 with 3691 viewsPJH

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 17:08 - Nov 12 by jjblue84

Unless he has big success at another championship club...

I think the only way that Hurst will get back into the Championship for a number of years is by taking a team up from League One.
I would think his "performance" at ITFC would put anyone off actually offering him a job at this level for quite some time to come.
Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 17:31 - Nov 12 with 3689 viewsDeano69

Proof that without intelligent and continual investment in management, playing staff, youth progression, a club like our slips further down the league.

Or to put it another way, spend League 1 money on the club and its staff, you will end up in League 1.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 17:48 - Nov 12 with 3662 viewsJ2BLUE

Paul Hurst a necessary mistake to (mostly) unify the support? on 17:31 - Nov 12 by PJH

I think the only way that Hurst will get back into the Championship for a number of years is by taking a team up from League One.
I would think his "performance" at ITFC would put anyone off actually offering him a job at this level for quite some time to come.

Any club, Shrewsbury aside, who give him a job will surely insist he has a different assistant.

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024