Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick McCarthy - thoughts 23:31 - Nov 12 with 35004 viewsFaroutWest

Hi Tractor boys, Bristol city fan here.
We are getting properly fed up with our useless head coach and his 'tombola' team selections and one of the names fancied as a potential replacement amongst our support is Mick McCarthy.
I appreciate things didn't end well for him or yourselves during his tenure but was he any good before the finance was withdrawn?
His previous managerial record seems very good so, given we are able, within reason, to spend a bit, would he be a decent fit if our job became available and what are your thoughts on him before the last couple of seasons at your place?

Thanks.
FaroutWest.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2018 23:31]
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 23:35 - Nov 12 with 14049 viewssparks

I would say that your best player, according to friends of mine, is Webster with his wonderful passing form the back.

You can forget that if MM gets hold of him again.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 23:36 - Nov 12 with 14036 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Hard to say how he would do with a good budget as he didn't have one with us.

Seem to recall his wolves team played quite attacking football.

I'd say Mick is more of a means to an end, maybe a bit left behind with his agricultural style.

However, he does create loyalty in the dressing room, a good team spirit and recruits well. Bit the team spirit seemingly is sometimes created by an 'us and them' mentality.

You'd never be in relegation trouble with him. But I doubt you'd be challenging near the top either.

He did a decent job for us in the circumstances. But it was time to part ways.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 23:41 - Nov 12 with 13995 viewsGarv

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 23:36 - Nov 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'd say Mick is more of a means to an end, maybe a bit left behind with his agricultural style.

However, he does create loyalty in the dressing room, a good team spirit and recruits well. Bit the team spirit seemingly is sometimes created by an 'us and them' mentality.

You'd never be in relegation trouble with him. But I doubt you'd be challenging near the top either.

I was going to reply to the OP, then I read this and realised there was no point.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 23:58 - Nov 12 with 13942 viewsGluedtoBlue

MM with a decent budget would have you competing at the right end of the table in my opinion.

The problems that developed here between MM and the fans is that we were stuck in boring old mid table, which most fans accepted is all we could realistically expect given the non existent budget, however, being mid table with nothing to get a crowd buzzing meant calls for more entertaining football.

We went the way most fans wanted in the summer, look at us now.

I'm hopeful PL will get us out of the mess but you could do a lot worse than MM.

Poll: Who do you hate the most?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 00:00 - Nov 13 with 13933 viewsGluedtoBlue

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 23:35 - Nov 12 by sparks

I would say that your best player, according to friends of mine, is Webster with his wonderful passing form the back.

Oh for what it's worth....ignore this post.

Webster would have been a star player under MM. Just proves MM can spot a player.

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 00:02 - Nov 13 with 13931 viewswallyvincent

Mick would have you competing for sure but that's about itl. He's no progressive manager for sure. The rot started after our play off season and my own opinion is that the game has caught up with Mick and his methods.

“....he’s a young tearaway by the name of Wally Vincent” - DCI Frank Haskins, Metropolitan Police Flying Squad 1975

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 00:06 - Nov 13 with 13908 viewsbritbiker

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 23:36 - Nov 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Wouldn't argue with too much of that except i do believe he tried to bring in some flair players, both purchased and on loan. However we had terrible luck with injuries to virtually anyone that showed some flair and we never really got the opportunity to see if his style of play would have changed.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 00:10 - Nov 13 with 13878 viewsGluedtoBlue

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 00:06 - Nov 13 by britbiker

Wouldn't argue with too much of that except i do believe he tried to bring in some flair players, both purchased and on loan. However we had terrible luck with injuries to virtually anyone that showed some flair and we never really got the opportunity to see if his style of play would have changed.

I genuinely think had Webster, Huws/Bishop/Dozzell had a decent number of games between them last year that MM might still be here. Could even throw Mcgoldrick into that as well.

Would make an enormous difference to the way any team plays.

Login to get fewer ads

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 00:42 - Nov 13 with 13831 viewsbritbiker

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 00:10 - Nov 13 by GluedtoBlue

I genuinely think had Webster, Huws/Bishop/Dozzell had a decent number of games between them last year that MM might still be here. Could even throw Mcgoldrick into that as well.

Would make an enormous difference to the way any team plays.

Even some of the potentially great loan players such as Ryan Fraser, jonny williams and to a lesser extent celina all had periods out injured.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 02:43 - Nov 13 with 13705 viewsIllinoisblue

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 00:42 - Nov 13 by britbiker

Even some of the potentially great loan players such as Ryan Fraser, jonny williams and to a lesser extent celina all had periods out injured.

that's a good point; whatever your thoughts on Mick it's undeniable that he suffered from key players being out injured at key times. And we are STILL suffering long-term, often unexplained, injuries to key players.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 05:21 - Nov 13 with 13551 viewsGerkensBeard

Well for a start please keep Lee Johnson for our upcoming game please haha.

Positives -
He’ll make you hard to beat
Create an incredible team spirit
Win games away from home you didn’t think were possible

Negatives -

Remove any good possession based football you have ever played
Create a similar style as he created here, lump it to Diedhou most likely
And why would you want a manager who quoted “we set up to not concede and see if we can nick one
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 05:46 - Nov 13 with 13491 viewsblueconscience

Be careful what you wish for!!!

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 06:42 - Nov 13 with 13351 viewsBenters2

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 23:35 - Nov 12 by sparks

This.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 06:43 - Nov 13 with 13357 viewsFtnfwest

He’ll use hoof ball for a couple of seasons to try to get you promoted, but if that doesn’t work I’d get rid. He also lives in south London so not sure he’d take the job anyway but in any event you’d need to be prepared for the fact that he would never really be interested in the club itself, he’s only interested in himself and his own achievements.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 06:54 - Nov 13 with 13296 viewsBenters2

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 06:43 - Nov 13 by Ftnfwest

He’ll use hoof ball for a couple of seasons to try to get you promoted, but if that doesn’t work I’d get rid. He also lives in south London so not sure he’d take the job anyway but in any event you’d need to be prepared for the fact that he would never really be interested in the club itself, he’s only interested in himself and his own achievements.

Thats about rght.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:21 - Nov 13 with 13182 viewsChocorange

Short term , all will be rosy.. He's an experienced manager with good contacts in the game. Will have you competing , good team spirit and fighting for everything.

The football will be dour, , inspiring boring to watch hoofball and if the team is struggling you will often set up with with 5 defenders and 3 defensive midfielders , all of which can't pass forwards ...even when at home to the worst teams in the league. ( Evidence Rotherham at home when they were awful) ,

You will set up for a point every game, ( every point is a prisoner) and you will be lucky to see a shot on goal let alone one on target once he's into safety mode.

No more attacking late subs to try and win the game, instead you will see defensive mids or wingers that track their man and mark them out of the game at the expense of forward intent.

You can forget cup runs, we never won one fa cup tie in all the time he was here, despite drawing teams from the bottom division or non league. Cup embarrassments became the norm , the league cup also saw defeats to Stevenage and others.
Worse, if you actually manage to get past a round ( as we did in the League cup twice) , and draw a Prem team , it won't be fun( we drew Man Utd away , huge support went to Old Trafford , only to see 11 changes and useless journeymen in the team.. His reason.. The league is more important , on that occasion if memory serves we lost to Bristol City a few days later despite the extra rest for the first team) , last season we drew Palace away and again played all kids, they did OK, but this was a Palace low on confidence and bottom of the Prem at the time and were there for the beating.
Surely football is about excitement, not Groundhog Day of the same year after year. Have a go at the opportunities when they come around.

We also hardly ever won a big game on Sky, or a local derby against the scum, lost in the play offs... All the big games...
In his press conferences , every opposing team will be described in terms akin to Barcelona, we had to scrap hard fight for every ball blah blah blah

He alienated the fan base here , split it by having a go on numerous occasions, to the outright shout of feck off to us at Norwich. This reduced the crowd numbers and the season ticket holders and the atmosphere.

Wolves fans told us what would happen as they had a similar experience.

On the plus side, you will be safe, but if dour footy, no excitement from cup runs or big game wins, hardly a shot on target doesn't float your boat I would steer well clear.

Oh and lastly, it must be a nailed in cert that you would re-sign Skuse!
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:26 - Nov 13 with 13147 viewsGluedtoBlue

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 06:43 - Nov 13 by Ftnfwest

"He's only interested in himself and his own achievements"

That explains how he's able to build this fantastic team spirit everyone agrees on.

It was time MM moved on last year but let's not make stuff up

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:29 - Nov 13 with 13119 viewsBenters2

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:21 - Nov 13 by Chocorange

Short term , all will be rosy.. He's an experienced manager with good contacts in the game. Will have you competing , good team spirit and fighting for everything.

The football will be dour, , inspiring boring to watch hoofball and if the team is struggling you will often set up with with 5 defenders and 3 defensive midfielders , all of which can't pass forwards ...even when at home to the worst teams in the league. ( Evidence Rotherham at home when they were awful) ,

You will set up for a point every game, ( every point is a prisoner) and you will be lucky to see a shot on goal let alone one on target once he's into safety mode.

No more attacking late subs to try and win the game, instead you will see defensive mids or wingers that track their man and mark them out of the game at the expense of forward intent.

You can forget cup runs, we never won one fa cup tie in all the time he was here, despite drawing teams from the bottom division or non league. Cup embarrassments became the norm , the league cup also saw defeats to Stevenage and others.
Worse, if you actually manage to get past a round ( as we did in the League cup twice) , and draw a Prem team , it won't be fun( we drew Man Utd away , huge support went to Old Trafford , only to see 11 changes and useless journeymen in the team.. His reason.. The league is more important , on that occasion if memory serves we lost to Bristol City a few days later despite the extra rest for the first team) , last season we drew Palace away and again played all kids, they did OK, but this was a Palace low on confidence and bottom of the Prem at the time and were there for the beating.
Surely football is about excitement, not Groundhog Day of the same year after year. Have a go at the opportunities when they come around.

We also hardly ever won a big game on Sky, or a local derby against the scum, lost in the play offs... All the big games...
In his press conferences , every opposing team will be described in terms akin to Barcelona, we had to scrap hard fight for every ball blah blah blah

He alienated the fan base here , split it by having a go on numerous occasions, to the outright shout of feck off to us at Norwich. This reduced the crowd numbers and the season ticket holders and the atmosphere.

Wolves fans told us what would happen as they had a similar experience.

On the plus side, you will be safe, but if dour footy, no excitement from cup runs or big game wins, hardly a shot on target doesn't float your boat I would steer well clear.

Oh and lastly, it must be a nailed in cert that you would re-sign Skuse!

Yet to some on here he is seen as some sort of God!
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:33 - Nov 13 with 13106 viewsBluefish

Just look at what has happened to us since he left and it will tell you everything. The bloke is a legend and a miracle worker. He is also a beautiful man.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:43 - Nov 13 with 13044 viewsHerbivore

With your budget he'd get you top 6 within 12 months.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:44 - Nov 13 with 13035 viewsBenters2

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:33 - Nov 13 by Bluefish

Just look at what has happened to us since he left and it will tell you everything. The bloke is a legend and a miracle worker. He is also a beautiful man.

That hasnt got anything to do wth signing a out of depth manager,who signed a load of players who cant step up, and losing Webster,Garner,Waggy,Didzy has it ... no i thought not.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:45 - Nov 13 with 13024 viewstextbackup

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 00:00 - Nov 13 by GluedtoBlue

Oh for what it's worth....ignore this post.

Webster would have been a star player under MM. Just proves MM can spot a player.

Webster went from a defender that would pass the ball out and play - to a defender that wacked into into the channels - to a (now) defender that is passing the ball nicely from the back.

so yes he could spot a player, but he certainly didn't do anything for Webster here

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:55 - Nov 13 with 12968 viewsblueislander

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:43 - Nov 13 by Herbivore

With your budget he'd get you top 6 within 12 months.

A big plus as far as we are concerned would be that he would sign "proper blokes" like Skuse and Chambers.
Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:56 - Nov 13 with 12958 viewshampstead_blue

Back to the OP.

If you give him a decent budget and accept very pragmatic football, you'll be OK.
However, he is as stubborn as a mule and gives as good as he gets.

He left us with a rather barbed statement; "be careful what you wish for"

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:59 - Nov 13 with 12928 viewsBenters2

Mick McCarthy - thoughts on 07:44 - Nov 13 by Benters2

That hasnt got anything to do wth signing a out of depth manager,who signed a load of players who cant step up, and losing Webster,Garner,Waggy,Didzy has it ... no i thought not.

What have i said wrong ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024