Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This sums up the FA for me 13:20 - Nov 15 with 2814 viewssparks

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46202509

Ref makes a human mistake. Improvises in a pragmatic and entirely fair way. Causes no harm at all- save a little embarrassment for himself. Gets the book thrown at him for it.

Havent they got better things to do? Like offering a modicum of support to grass roots clubs and managers rather than treating them like minions?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

on 14:33 - Nov 15 with 2279 views_

This sums up the FA for me on 14:40 - Nov 15 with 2281 viewsJ2BLUE

Agree entirely.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

on 14:42 - Nov 15 with 2267 views_

This sums up the FA for me on 14:40 - Nov 15 by J2BLUE

Agree entirely.

This sums up the FA for me on 14:43 - Nov 15 with 2266 viewsJ2BLUE

on 14:42 - Nov 15 by _

Exactly the same thing. Well done.

Truly impaired.

This sums up the FA for me on 14:45 - Nov 15 with 2264 viewsm14_blue

on 14:33 - Nov 15 by _

Really?

I make the OP spot on.
on 14:47 - Nov 15 with 2251 views_

This sums up the FA for me on 14:43 - Nov 15 by J2BLUE

Exactly the same thing. Well done.

This sums up the FA for me on 14:49 - Nov 15 with 2252 viewsJ2BLUE

on 14:47 - Nov 15 by _

That doesn't surprise me.

Truly impaired.

on 14:52 - Nov 15 with 2238 views_

This sums up the FA for me on 14:49 - Nov 15 by J2BLUE

That doesn't surprise me.

Login to get fewer ads

This sums up the FA for me on 14:55 - Nov 15 with 2231 viewsJ2BLUE

on 14:52 - Nov 15 by _

Harsh punishment for a minor mistake. If he forgot his cards then fair enough. The pre match coin? Come on. It's meaningless. He replaced one 50/50 option with another. Would have been worse to delay kick off for ten minutes while he ran back and got his coin IMO. Would using one from a member of the crowd have been acceptable? He would still have forgotten his coin.

Some common sense should be used rather than people getting outraged about nothing. If I was a manager and this happened I would make a point in my post match interview of praising the ref for his quick thinking and call for no punishment.

Truly impaired.

on 14:59 - Nov 15 with 2205 views_

This sums up the FA for me on 14:55 - Nov 15 by J2BLUE

Harsh punishment for a minor mistake. If he forgot his cards then fair enough. The pre match coin? Come on. It's meaningless. He replaced one 50/50 option with another. Would have been worse to delay kick off for ten minutes while he ran back and got his coin IMO. Would using one from a member of the crowd have been acceptable? He would still have forgotten his coin.

Some common sense should be used rather than people getting outraged about nothing. If I was a manager and this happened I would make a point in my post match interview of praising the ref for his quick thinking and call for no punishment.

This sums up the FA for me on 15:01 - Nov 15 with 2198 viewsJ2BLUE

on 14:59 - Nov 15 by _

Cards used multiple times and are a visual aid for the crowd. A coin makes little difference.

We'll agree to disagree.

Truly impaired.

on 15:02 - Nov 15 with 2189 views_

This sums up the FA for me on 15:01 - Nov 15 by J2BLUE

Cards used multiple times and are a visual aid for the crowd. A coin makes little difference.

We'll agree to disagree.

This sums up the FA for me on 15:04 - Nov 15 with 2192 viewsm14_blue

I get what you’re saying but there’s a danger we’re sucking any character and fun out of what’s meant to be a game. Everyone takes everything so seriously.

See also the outraged response to Sterling taking the p1ss out of United at the end of their derby win the other day. Good on him I say.
This sums up the FA for me on 15:06 - Nov 15 with 2187 viewsJ2BLUE

on 15:02 - Nov 15 by _

My last comment: It's so everything is uniform at each game. I get that. I think as a one off replacing a 50/50 method with another 50/50 method isn't a huge crime and a warning would have been sufficient. A one game ban perhaps if you wanted to be harsh and send a message.

Truly impaired.

on 15:46 - Nov 15 with 2121 views_

This sums up the FA for me on 15:04 - Nov 15 by m14_blue

I get what you’re saying but there’s a danger we’re sucking any character and fun out of what’s meant to be a game. Everyone takes everything so seriously.

See also the outraged response to Sterling taking the p1ss out of United at the end of their derby win the other day. Good on him I say.

This sums up the FA for me on 15:48 - Nov 15 with 2122 viewssparks

This sums up the FA for me on 15:06 - Nov 15 by J2BLUE

My last comment: It's so everything is uniform at each game. I get that. I think as a one off replacing a 50/50 method with another 50/50 method isn't a huge crime and a warning would have been sufficient. A one game ban perhaps if you wanted to be harsh and send a message.

Quite. I assume Libero is actually arguing that a 21 day ban for leaving your coin in the changing room on a single occasion is reasonable? I wouldnt bother arguing with him- his position is probably driven by the identity of the OP rather than the content.

Everyone makes mistakes in their work every single week. Everyone.

A single oversight, with no consequences of any substance, is not worth punishment. Not even a warning, frankly. He knows it was a silly error. He's embarrassed by it. He's unlikely to do it again.

The FA are obsessed with treating everyone like naughty schoolchildren, as if their petty pedantic rules are actually really important. Its driving people out of the game.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

This sums up the FA for me on 16:00 - Nov 15 with 2091 viewsReuser_is_God

on 14:42 - Nov 15 by _

Sorry Libby but you're way off the mark in this thread.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

This sums up the FA for me on 17:17 - Nov 15 with 2025 viewsSwansea_Blue

on 14:33 - Nov 15 by _

It’s a simple mistake with no consequences though. Yet mistakes that can change the result of a game, potentially costing football clubs their place in a league and millions of pounds in revenue, aren’t handled like this.

It’s petty imo.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This sums up the FA for me on 17:23 - Nov 15 with 2007 viewsm14_blue

on 15:46 - Nov 15 by _

Ok, perhaps outraged was the wrong word but there has been lots of talk about it.
on 17:24 - Nov 15 with 1997 views_

This sums up the FA for me on 15:48 - Nov 15 by sparks

Quite. I assume Libero is actually arguing that a 21 day ban for leaving your coin in the changing room on a single occasion is reasonable? I wouldnt bother arguing with him- his position is probably driven by the identity of the OP rather than the content.

Everyone makes mistakes in their work every single week. Everyone.

A single oversight, with no consequences of any substance, is not worth punishment. Not even a warning, frankly. He knows it was a silly error. He's embarrassed by it. He's unlikely to do it again.

The FA are obsessed with treating everyone like naughty schoolchildren, as if their petty pedantic rules are actually really important. Its driving people out of the game.

This sums up the FA for me on 17:26 - Nov 15 with 1991 viewsBackToRussia

Re your first sentence. I wouldn't have known this had I not read the news article on this but a coin is not a required item for a referee to carry as set out by the FA's own rules.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

on 17:31 - Nov 15 with 1978 views_

This sums up the FA for me on 17:26 - Nov 15 by BackToRussia

Re your first sentence. I wouldn't have known this had I not read the news article on this but a coin is not a required item for a referee to carry as set out by the FA's own rules.

This sums up the FA for me on 17:32 - Nov 15 with 1973 viewsBackToRussia

on 17:31 - Nov 15 by _

It's just not listed as an item for a referee to have. There's other stuff like cards and a whistle and a notebook (or some other way of making notes, it says, cryptically), but no coin.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2018 17:32]

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

on 17:40 - Nov 15 with 1952 views_

This sums up the FA for me on 17:32 - Nov 15 by BackToRussia

It's just not listed as an item for a referee to have. There's other stuff like cards and a whistle and a notebook (or some other way of making notes, it says, cryptically), but no coin.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2018 17:32]

This sums up the FA for me on 17:47 - Nov 15 with 1945 viewsMelford

This reminds me a call to Danny Baker ages ago there the ref forgot his whistle and had to improvise with a metal tea tray and wooden spoon.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024