Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
US based posters 22:31 - Nov 15 with 1602 viewsjeera

Likewise Canadians.

Which phrase do you hear the most there?

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

I know this gets brought up each year, (apparently), but I have reasons to enquire.

In all my time it has seemed to be predominately Happy Hols from Americans and Canadians I've known, including on any greeting cards they've sent.

Is this strictly down to the beliefs of the individual, a cultural thing, or even a habit that may change from state to state?

Even on TV shows over the years Happy Hols seems to be the most common phrase used.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

US based posters on 22:35 - Nov 15 with 1576 viewsJ2BLUE

Seasons Greetings jeera

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

US based posters on 22:37 - Nov 15 with 1569 viewsjeera

US based posters on 22:35 - Nov 15 by J2BLUE

Seasons Greetings jeera

I hate that one.

US based posters on 23:04 - Nov 15 with 1544 viewsstringy

Happy Holidays seems to be the main one in the US (now based in Canada, where I think its similar).

It's a safe non-denominational phrase.

I think that's why in the US Thanksgiving is such a huge deal (Native Americans wouldn't agree) because it's kinda family oriented and safe/non-denominational to a large degree.

It actually tends to overwhelm Christmas somewhat, having been there for both, the latter seemed a poor relative of the former.

Also all those Nutcracker models are again I think a deliberate seasonal celebratory emblem without being aligned to a particular religion.
US based posters on 23:16 - Nov 15 with 1536 viewsjeera

US based posters on 23:04 - Nov 15 by stringy

Happy Holidays seems to be the main one in the US (now based in Canada, where I think its similar).

I think that's why in the US Thanksgiving is such a huge deal (Native Americans wouldn't agree) because it's kinda family oriented and safe/non-denominational to a large degree.

It actually tends to overwhelm Christmas somewhat, having been there for both, the latter seemed a poor relative of the former.

Also all those Nutcracker models are again I think a deliberate seasonal celebratory emblem without being aligned to a particular religion.

I can honestly say I've never had an American, nor Canadian wish me a Merry Xmas. Ever.

I just wondered why this is suddenly considered some new phenomena in some quarters.

Of course the usual nonsense is doing the rounds on FB where it's muslims who have 'demanded' the word Christmas is dropped despite no one seemingly being able to cite how this is so.

I met 2 Canadians in India over 20 years ago and when I asked them why they used HH and not MC and they both said it's not something that really occurred to them one way or the other, neither held any beliefs and just saw Xmas as a bit of time off work to see friends and family and go on the piss.

Much like most of us then.

US based posters on 23:20 - Nov 15 with 1526 viewsGeoffSentence

US based posters on 23:04 - Nov 15 by stringy

Isn't it more that they have Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah all haapening in quick succession so Happy Holidays is pretty much a catch-all rather than it being safe and non-denominational.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

US based posters on 23:30 - Nov 15 with 1518 viewsstringy

US based posters on 23:20 - Nov 15 by GeoffSentence

Isn't it more that they have Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah all haapening in quick succession so Happy Holidays is pretty much a catch-all rather than it being safe and non-denominational.

I'd say both

*but* I can tell you that a number of people get annoyed or antsy if you say Merry Christmas because it presumes religious adherence etc (there were a number of Jewish students in my programme for example), so I think Happy Holidays is by far the safest way of wishing someone well over there/here without risk of offence
US based posters on 02:25 - Nov 16 with 1462 viewshorsehollerer

Generally it's happy holidays in my experience (from 20 years in NYC).

When it comes to friends, it's more specific. At least a third of my closest American friends are Jewish, maybe more. Almost all of them make a point of wishing me a Merry Christmas (even though I'm not religious) and likewise I wish them a Happy Hanukkah. Lots of respect and goodwill both ways. We all celebrate the festive season together.

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

US based posters on 03:07 - Nov 16 with 1445 viewsIllinoisblue

Definitely hear happy holidays most here in the Midwest. I do though ensure my cards say Christmas on them

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

US based posters on 03:08 - Nov 16 with 1439 viewsIllinoisblue

US based posters on 23:16 - Nov 15 by jeera

I can honestly say I've never had an American, nor Canadian wish me a Merry Xmas. Ever.

I just wondered why this is suddenly considered some new phenomena in some quarters.

Of course the usual nonsense is doing the rounds on FB where it's muslims who have 'demanded' the word Christmas is dropped despite no one seemingly being able to cite how this is so.

I met 2 Canadians in India over 20 years ago and when I asked them why they used HH and not MC and they both said it's not something that really occurred to them one way or the other, neither held any beliefs and just saw Xmas as a bit of time off work to see friends and family and go on the piss.

Much like most of us then.

Merry Xmas son

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

US based posters on 07:03 - Nov 16 with 1340 viewsBloomBlue

"Hey dude does England celebrate thanksgiving?"
US based posters on 07:15 - Nov 16 with 1335 viewsWeWereZombies

I guess 'Debauch yourself licentiously during Saturnalia' is not an option?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

US based posters on 08:27 - Nov 16 with 1306 viewsJimmyJazz

The other thing to add here is that Easter pretty much doesn't exist in the US.

It's all very well being non-demoninational but it means that religious holidays get relegated to 'random days those weird folks wish to celebrate'.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024