Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - 02:06 - Nov 17 with 10500 viewsRyorry

Just read this thread -

Associated article - https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/16/uk-austerity-has-inflicted-great
[Post edited 17 Nov 2018 2:08]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:45 - Nov 17 with 2296 viewsBrixtonBlue

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:31 - Nov 17 by sparks

One of the biggest issues is that many people are simply incapable of doing the forms properly, or getting their documentation and information together. Add mental health issues into that mix and the result is havoc and evictions.

Yeah it's pretty tough, and I like to think I'm reasonably intelligent/with it.

I'm sure they make it deliberately difficult to dissuade people. Even little things like the fact that the post code on my driving licence isn't the same as my current post code wasn't allowed by one of the verification companies - so I had to restart that part of the process (that I'd already wasted a couple of hours on) with a different verification company.

Things like finding a utility bill with your name on it can be hard for some (they throw them away, someone else in the house pays those bills etc.)

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:51 - Nov 17 with 2288 viewssparks

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:24 - Nov 17 by WeWereZombies

If there was no money left then the system would stop working, however there is plenty of financial activity but it is often distributed unjustly.

And why don't you show a bit of truthfulness and go back to your BlueOyster avatar so everybody knows your approach?

This is a rather limited analysis. Any honest analysis would need to recognise the enormous deficit and the likely consequences of failing to address it.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:52 - Nov 17 with 2285 viewssparks

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:45 - Nov 17 by BrixtonBlue

Yeah it's pretty tough, and I like to think I'm reasonably intelligent/with it.

I'm sure they make it deliberately difficult to dissuade people. Even little things like the fact that the post code on my driving licence isn't the same as my current post code wasn't allowed by one of the verification companies - so I had to restart that part of the process (that I'd already wasted a couple of hours on) with a different verification company.

Things like finding a utility bill with your name on it can be hard for some (they throw them away, someone else in the house pays those bills etc.)

Bear in mind you can be fined for not reporting a change of address to the DVLA- not to mention end up with traffic fines, parking notices and convictions etc mounting up, havign been served at the old address...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:55 - Nov 17 with 2281 viewsJ2BLUE

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:37 - Nov 17 by GeoffSentence

Greens, Lib Dems... there are other choices.

If you want to throw your vote away.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 12:06 - Nov 17 with 2260 viewsBrixtonBlue

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:52 - Nov 17 by sparks

Bear in mind you can be fined for not reporting a change of address to the DVLA- not to mention end up with traffic fines, parking notices and convictions etc mounting up, havign been served at the old address...

The old address is my parents house where they still live and I regularly visit, not that I get any traffic/parking fines. But didn't know I'm meant to inform the DVLA about my change of address so will look into that. Cheers!

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 12:06 - Nov 17 with 2260 viewsRyorry

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 09:45 - Nov 17 by sparks

Sounds like an error rather than an illustration of an unfair system...

That said, the system is clearly problematic and is a long way from way IDS initially planned.

Even IF it's an error -

1. If you read the whole thread, there are numerous other people who've had the same or similar horrendous experiences - and that's just from one thread on twitter, never mind the other, perhaps even more vulnerable people, who aren't able to access the net and/or don't have family to stick up for them. IF it's an error, it's totally unacceptable that such poor training and attitudes are widespread up and down the country.

2. Reality for people stuck in that nightmare scenario is massive shock, stress and distress - doesn't matter how it's caused. Dread to think the impact it has on mental and physical health - which may already be low.

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 12:07 - Nov 17 with 2256 viewsjaykay

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:24 - Nov 17 by WeWereZombies

If there was no money left then the system would stop working, however there is plenty of financial activity but it is often distributed unjustly.

And why don't you show a bit of truthfulness and go back to your BlueOyster avatar so everybody knows your approach?

you could be right but i had him down as FrowsyArmLarry.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 12:07 - Nov 17 with 2256 viewsBrixtonBlue

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:55 - Nov 17 by J2BLUE

Voting for someone you don't believe in is throwing your vote away.

Login to get fewer ads

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 12:10 - Nov 17 with 2254 viewsRyorry

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 11:55 - Nov 17 by J2BLUE

If everyone had the courage of their convictions and voted for what they want, voting for them wouldn't be "throwing your vote away". One of the few intelligent things my ex ever said was "voting Green is the only sensible option". That was in 1987.

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 12:17 - Nov 17 with 2243 viewssparks

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 12:06 - Nov 17 by Ryorry

Even IF it's an error -

1. If you read the whole thread, there are numerous other people who've had the same or similar horrendous experiences - and that's just from one thread on twitter, never mind the other, perhaps even more vulnerable people, who aren't able to access the net and/or don't have family to stick up for them. IF it's an error, it's totally unacceptable that such poor training and attitudes are widespread up and down the country.

2. Reality for people stuck in that nightmare scenario is massive shock, stress and distress - doesn't matter how it's caused. Dread to think the impact it has on mental and physical health - which may already be low.

A thread of that sort is inevitably full of confirmation bias and in some cases exaggeration.

But as I clearly said, the system is problematic and a long way form what was originally intended, it would seem.

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 12:19 - Nov 17 with 2238 viewsNo9

If the politicians read and digest the UN Envoys report one would think it normal for them to see the problems the poor have instead they defend putting people into poverty - a sign of the moral collapse of the UK
My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 12:26 - Nov 17 with 2232 viewsNo9

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 09:45 - Nov 17 by sparks

That said, the system is clearly problematic and is a long way from way IDS initially planned.

The applause that greeted the news Esther McVey had resigned was an indication of her standing in the public eye.
The telling point will be if Amber Rudd is allowoed to run the brief & address the problems.
Either way I don't think it wise for the UK to continually ignore the UN.
My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 15:09 - Nov 17 with 2190 viewsJ2BLUE

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 12:07 - Nov 17 by BrixtonBlue

Voting for someone you don't believe in is throwing your vote away.

I do believe in many of the less extreme parts of Tory policy.

It's not throwing your vote away if you live in an area where the choice is Tories vs Labour and you consider the Tories the lesser of two evils.

Truly impaired.

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 15:10 - Nov 17 with 2187 viewsJ2BLUE

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 12:10 - Nov 17 by Ryorry

If everyone had the courage of their convictions and voted for what they want, voting for them wouldn't be "throwing your vote away". One of the few intelligent things my ex ever said was "voting Green is the only sensible option". That was in 1987.

Respectfully disagree. Voting for a third part in a Labour vs Tories area is a waste IMO.

We need PR where everyone's vote counts.

Truly impaired.

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 15:17 - Nov 17 with 2182 viewsBrixtonBlue

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 15:09 - Nov 17 by J2BLUE

I do believe in many of the less extreme parts of Tory policy.

It's not throwing your vote away if you live in an area where the choice is Tories vs Labour and you consider the Tories the lesser of two evils.

Then we come back to the voting system in this country. You shouldn't have a choice of just Tories vs Labour (particularly if you think both are crap).

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 15:21 - Nov 17 with 2172 viewsJ2BLUE

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 15:17 - Nov 17 by BrixtonBlue

Then we come back to the voting system in this country. You shouldn't have a choice of just Tories vs Labour (particularly if you think both are crap).

Agree, as I said above, we need PR

Truly impaired.

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 15:31 - Nov 17 with 2156 viewsBrixtonBlue

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 15:21 - Nov 17 by J2BLUE

I wonder what would happen if at the next election, everyone refused to vote. Not one single vote was cast by the public as a big "F you" to the politicians.

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 15:35 - Nov 17 with 2149 viewsSwansea_Blue

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 10:16 - Nov 17 by J2BLUE

Posts like this are fine but who do you vote for if you consider Labour to be an incompetent shambles?

Very good question. Short answer is, I think, is to do some homework.

There can be some very good candidates not in one of the big 2, but they’re less obvious. I always try and keep an eye on who’s doing what for our local area through the years, not just at campaign time. And try to remember that we’re voting for someone to represent our local areas first and foremost

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 15:38 - Nov 17 with 2143 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 15:31 - Nov 17 by BrixtonBlue

I wonder what would happen if at the next election, everyone refused to vote. Not one single vote was cast by the public as a big "F you" to the politicians.

https://nota-uk.org

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 15:44 - Nov 17 with 2134 viewsJ2BLUE

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 15:35 - Nov 17 by Swansea_Blue

There can be some very good candidates not in one of the big 2, but they’re less obvious. I always try and keep an eye on who’s doing what for our local area through the years, not just at campaign time. And try to remember that we’re voting for someone to represent our local areas first and foremost

Again, if they have no chance of winning it's a wasted vote.

Truly impaired.

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 15:50 - Nov 17 with 2128 viewsNo9

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 15:21 - Nov 17 by J2BLUE

& when we were given the opportunity to vote to chnage the electoral system very few people voted
My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 15:52 - Nov 17 with 2127 viewsNo9

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 15:35 - Nov 17 by Swansea_Blue

& many people have lost sight of what the political parties historically stand for.
Education at school is non existent so if parents don't inform their offspring they will grow up politcally ignorant
My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 16:00 - Nov 17 with 2113 viewsJ2BLUE

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 15:50 - Nov 17 by No9

& when we were given the opportunity to vote to chnage the electoral system very few people voted

Because the voting system they offered was crap.

Truly impaired.

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 16:05 - Nov 17 with 2104 viewsDanTheMan

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 16:00 - Nov 17 by J2BLUE

Because the voting system they offered was crap.

Do you remember the advertising for it too? Some of it was shameful.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

My god, just read this - shocking, shocking, shocking - on 16:10 - Nov 17 with 2092 viewsmonytowbray

These “errors” are very common though, more than they should be.

The whole benefits system seems to forget people have bills to pay and need to eat. I waited 2 months for a first payment when I applied a few years back and that was before the Tories. Granted I got paid backdated but it was tight and the hoops one has to jump through with the whole system is a nightmare considering being in such situations is already stressful and depressing enough.

I think we should overhaul the whole thing and do that Universial credit thing the Green party were for.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024